Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In between Grand Slams tennis thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

verdasco just holds, nadal serving again for match.

love 30

love 40

verdasco breaks to love, 5/5

6/5 verdasco

• Advertisement

love 30

nadal could be on his way home

30/30

match point verdasco

sum serve

• Advertisement

2nd match point

game set and match verdasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Thanks for the updates jupiterjack!

I'm sure jcf is delighted with the result!!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

YEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

This will be a strange tournament, Djokovic not gonna win it either, he doesn't like the blue clay (stupid to cowtow to the Mutua sponsors) ....

Fed could sneak in there and reclaim no.2 spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,128 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I hope Fed wins. The issue with the clay is weird. No expert, but does the simple colour mean that the clay is slippier? Anyway, the colour and the clay applies to all, why the moaning? Nadal said he won't play next year if the blue clay remains.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Federer manages to sneak it. He played great against Gasquet yesterday. He plays Ferrer tonight so that will show a lot I reckon.

AFAIK, red clay is natural. Whatever dye or colouring they added to make it blue more than likely makes it slippery.

I don't understand the point of going blue. No other clay tournament has this.

Some results in.

Serena comprehesively beat Sharapova in straight sets 1 and 3. Azarenka had a tougher time of it against Li Na. The Belarussian lost the first 6-3 before regrouping and winning the last 2 6-3, 6-3. Azarenka will play either Radwanska or Lepchenko in the SF, which is just kicking off. And Serena will play the winner of Stosur and Hradecka.

On the mens side, del Potro beat Dogopolov in straight setss this morning, 6-3, 6-4. The Argentine awaits the winner of Berdych and Verdasco.

Juan meets Berdyc (6/1; 6/2 he beat Verdasco) in the semis, and let's hope Fed and Novak progress for a tasty semi.

Semi-Final line-up is now complete! Tipsy got a big win over Djokovic - 7-6, 6-3. Great tennis from Tipsy. Federer was clinical against Ferrer, beating him 4 and 4. So no Fed-Djoko SF. Completing the other SF is del Potro-Berdych. Quite excited by this one; should be a great one!

Another surprise on the women's side as Stosur fell to Lucie Hradecka of the Czech Rep., 7-6, 7-6. Very tight match, lovely tennis! Radwanska had an easier route to the semi, beating Lepchenko 4 and 4. Women's SFs are Azarenka-Radwanska & S.Williams-Lepchenko. I see a Vika-Serena final on Sunday.

Women's doubles final has also been determined. Fifth seeds Errani & Vinci defeated Kirilenko & Petrova in 3 sets 7-5, 7-6, 10-5. The unseeded pairing of Makarova and Vesnina beat Llagostera Vives and Martinez Sanchez 6-4, 7-6.

Play will begin at 10.45am with Azarenka-Radwanska taking to the court first. Following them will be Hradecka-Williams, del Potro-Berdych, Tipsarevic-Federer (NB7pm) and lastly Errani & Vinci-Makarova & Vesnina

• Advertisement

It's Fed's to lose. He will get to number two in the rankings should he win this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

walshb wrote: »
    It's Fed's to lose.

Pretty much, Tipsarevic should be a comfortable win and he has owned Del Potro recently, although Berdych not so much...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Yeah Berdych won't give it up easy that's for sure.

World No. 7 Tomas Berdych reached his third ATP World Tour Masters 1000 final on Saturday as he overcame Juan Martin del Potro 7-6(5), 7-6(6) in the semi-finals of the Mutua Madrid Open.

Serena Williams defeated World Number 1 Victoria Azarenka in straights sets, 6-1, 6-3. Match lasted 1hr and 4mins. Azarenka had no aces and failed to convert her single BP; Serena on the other hand smashed down 14 aces and converted 80% of BPs. Aza did have the advantage on 1st serve %.
    Impressive display from Serena. Her betting odds for the French Open had definitely shorten.

Roger Federer-Tomas Berdych hasn't started yet. Looking forward to this. COuld be a tight match but I'll give the edge to Federer. It's his to lose IMO.

The doubles finals have been played. Poles Fyrstenberg and Matkowski beat Lindsteadt and Tecau in straight sets 6-3, 6-4. Errani and Vinci have been crowned Women's doubles champions after defeating Makarova and Vesnina in three sets 6-1, 3-6, 10-4.

Roger wins his 20th ATP 1000 title. Great match in 3 sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Impressive from Serena but we must remember this isn't really clay so Rome will be a much better indication of how she will do at the French. Obviously she will do well but she isn't a cert to win it.

Depressing for Azrenka totally outclassed in the last 2 finals she played, only a month ago people were saying she may have a year ala Djokovic last year.

Won't rule her out of anything but she needs to bounce back well in Rome and also needs to figure out how to live with Serena.:o:

Roger Federer, who won the Madrid Masters on Sunday and took the No. 2 ranking from Rafael Nadal, says he is unsure whether he will compete in Rome this week. Federer told reporters that he was taking anti-inflammatory medication during Madrid. "I have to give me a few days to see how I feel and make a decision," he said. "Tomorrow I travel to Rome, and play normally. The truth is that my body hurts after this tournament."

Age catching up on Federer there. I think he'll play Rome. It's better practice for RG than Marid and he might get the chance to play against Djokovic in SFs.

• Advertisement

In an all-Spanish second-round contest at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia on Tuesday, sixth seed David Ferrer defeated Fernando Verdasco 6-3, 7-6(3).

Advertisement