Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In between Grand Slams tennis thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

3rd set tie break between Li and Sharapova finally starts after a few hours away due to rain, but Eurosport been the joke they are decide to show highlights of the match instead of showing the tie break LIVE:mad::mad::mad:

Always been amateurs but this is disgraceful.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

is it still raining in rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Wonderful effort from Sharapova to retain her title in Rome. I'd love to see her complete the Career Slam in Paris this year.

Eurosport made an absolute balls of it!! Just show the match live ffs!!! Had to watch it on a stuttering stream! :mad: Highlights on Eurosport 2 now then again at 7.30 on Eurosport 1. Confused!!

Showing highlights of Ferrer-Nadal on SkySports so must still be raining in Rome.

Also, there's a French Open preview after the women's final highlights, both ES 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

is it still raining in rome.

Nobody knows, probably will be postponed until tomorrow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Sky just said the final will be at 11am tomorrow (Monday) Irish time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

4-4 in the first!

Wonder if Nadal loses will he stay ranked number 3 going into the French open; meaning he'd have to play Djokovic in the semis.

Wonder if Nadal loses will he stay ranked number 3 going into the French open; meaning he'd have to play Djokovic in the semis.

But, going into this tournament he was number 3 and met Novak in the final? But, yes, I know what you mean. In the slams it seems that seed 1 meets 3 and seed 2 meets 4.

I'm pretty sure Nadal is seeded no. 2 here as the draw was done before Federer won in Madrid. Just from reading the eurosport online commentary, it suggests he'll be ranked no.2 going into the French if he wins. Maybe Djokovic is keeping this in mind, I'm sure he'd rather avoid Federer and Nadal until the final of the French.

I'm pretty sure Nadal is seeded no. 2 here as the draw was done before Federer won in Madrid. Just from reading the eurosport online commentary, it suggests he'll be ranked no.2 going into the French if he wins. Maybe Djokovic is keeping this in mind, I'm sure he'd rather avoid Federer and Nadal until the final of the French.

Yes, world rankings do not necessarily reflect seed placings.

Anyway, Nadal is now world number 2, and has 21 ATP 1000 titles.

Has Novak's amazing form slightly dropped? That's two in a row losses to Nadal.

I think it's a certainty that Nadal and Novak will be the top seeds in Paris. That means a final they shall meet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Whatever !!! let the little Cheat have his title , Chelsea are the European Champions !!!!! Football>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Stay on topic.

You want to talk football, go to their forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

walshb wrote: »
    But, going into this tournament he was number 3 and met Novak in the final? But, yes, I know what you mean. In the slams it seems that seed 1 meets 3 and seed 2 meets 4.
    No, a draw is done. The number 1 seed is placed, as is the number 2 seed, then a draw is done to see which half of the draw the numbers 3 and 4 seeds will be in. Then they draw the numbers 5-8 seeds, and so on until all 32 seeds are placed.

I have to admit, I'm confused as to how Nadal is ahead of Federer in the rankings again. I know he gained 400 points by winning, but I thought Federer went out relatively early last year, so he gained quite a few points himself by reaching the semis, and was ahead by a few hundred points after Madrid.... It's a shame, it would have been nice for Federer to have a chance at the easy draw in the French by getting Murray as his seeded semi opponent rather than either Nadal or Djokovic, for a change. He never got the benefit of his number 2 ranking this time around, and has a lot of points to defend in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I didn't get to see the match so I can't comment on his performance, but I was shocked to see that Murray lost so early in Queens. Did anyone see it and comment on what happened? Or did Mahut just have an awesome match?

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I didn't get to see the match so I can't comment on his performance, but I was shocked to see that Murray lost so early in Queens. Did anyone see it and comment on what happened? Or did Mahut just have an awesome match?
    Saw the match but i am never shocked by Murrays results he can be so hot and cold, Mahut played his normal game.

Mahut has just lost next round to Dimitrov.

Nadal wins at Halle 7/5 6/1 over Lacko.

Tsonga just loses to Dodig at Queens, all the top seeds are falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Does anybody reckon Tsonga's finger injury will affect his performance at Wimbledon? Initial rumours were that it was broken in the match against Dodig, but it has been reported that after examination it was just a bad sprain. I'd like to see him do well at Wimbledon this year, he's a very exciting player to watch - he seems to go for everything.

Andrew Castle on the bbc coverage seems to rate Dimitrov very highly. One to watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Daddio wrote: »
    Does anybody reckon Tsonga's finger injury will affect his performance at Wimbledon? Initial rumours were that it was broken in the match against Dodig, but it has been reported that after examination it was just a bad sprain. I'd like to see him do well at Wimbledon this year, he's a very exciting player to watch - he seems to go for everything.

Andrew Castle on the bbc coverage seems to rate Dimitrov very highly. One to watch?

Dimitrov is a hard one to tell. In my opinion he is quite similar to Gasquet, both can play fantastic but they both aren't consistent enough. He has a lot of pressure on him and has been compared to a younger version of Federer. I like his game, and he's still quite young so he could definitely have a bright future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Yeah definitely one to watch. He could just be off to a slow start like Federer was.

You can see the flashes of genius in his game. I reckon he'll pull himself together in the next couple years and start to win big.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Well, that was a disappointing Queen's Club final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

well it was an interesting ending!

wtf like he kicked the board that was like two cms away from the linesmans legs. disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Nalbandian didn't show much class in his interview. He messed up and deserved to be disqualified. He didn't sound very regretful.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

...he's blaming the ATP and thinks he should have been allowed to continue? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Disgraceful behavior. He should be banned. He didnt even have the courage to give a decent apology.

its the exact same as kicking him straight i think. should get a ban i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just heard all that on BBC 5live, deary me. Professional sportsmen and their lack of good grace never ceases to amaze.

Advertisement