Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve developing steam box console

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

heaven forbid!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,676 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Does Valve have that kind of reputation for lying though? And I mean about things other than release dates or development cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Looks like the rumour is true

Gabe newell has confirmed valve are releasing a console to compete with 360/ps3

http://asia.cnet.com/valve-to-offer-pc-based-console-for-the-living-room-62219734.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

if they can pull it off
    it will be a market leader id say

a console type for steam for people who dont have super powered pcs :P haha and downloaded games at cheap prices
    my god id buy 10 of them :L

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Depends on what kind of grunt it's going to have. To be a success it'll have to be at least on a par with the new Xbox/Playstation, anything less and it'll struggle to gain a foothold in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends on what kind of grunt it's going to have. To be a success it'll have to be at least on a par with the new Xbox/Playstation, anything less and it'll struggle to gain a foothold in my opinion.
    As the Wii had problems selling consoles compared to the PS3 or Xbox360?

I think this has huge potential for cross selling to existing PC gamers; fire up any of the multitude of games that has a year or two on it's neck (Killfloor etc.) and play it on a big screen rather than over the internet? Heck yes! And that will not require any super duper dual GTX680 card to pull it off; if they took it a step further to a cloud running version I'd be even more happy...

I'd say it is VERY likely I'll be buying one when it comes out and that's coming from someone with a top of the line gaming PC today that will surely beat what ever is in it. Why? Because I can fire it up as a party gaming machine, I can break out racing games with controllers etc. easily and if I'm alone I can play it on my PC. The simple fact I'm not going to need to buy new games (have plenty already on my steam account) is a huge boon in my book and I was not even planning on getting a console previously.

I think in terms of of digital marketplace , steam destroys xbla and psn hands down.

I dont have A gaming oc but have 53 games bought on steam so if this means i can take my account and play the likes of the witcher or left 4 dead and play it on this console then im all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You can't compare the one off success of the Wii to trying to sell an out of the box PC. The Wii offered a new way to play videogames and new experiences that drew in an entirely new audience. Those people, people who bought the Wii solely for Wii Sports, may not even be still here for the Wii U but they certainly wouldn't be jumping in to buy a PC gaming box.

For the most part this Steam box will be offering the same games and same experiences that the new Xbox and Playstation will and if games on it don't look as good as on the consoles, they'll struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

As long as you can use your existing consoley Steam games on it while playing other games on your main PC then it could be cool. I guess it will run linux to make it cheap but hopefully it wont need lots of noisy fans or large power requirements. If it runs Source games such as Portal 2 (L4D 2 will be the first Steam on Linux game) then it should be reasonably powerful but other game makers will have to support OpenGl and Linux before they can be ported over....unless it runs Windows of course :)

You can't compare the one off success of the Wii to trying to sell an out of the box PC. The Wii offered a new way to play videogames and new experiences that drew in an entirely new audience. Those people, people who bought the Wii solely for Wii Sports, may not even be still here for the Wii U but they certainly wouldn't be jumping in to buy a PC gaming box.

The weaker consoles always sold the most

Gameboy sold more than the game gear
    Ps1 sold more than the N64
    Ps2 sold more than the xbox
    Wii sold more than the ps3/360

Ds sold more than the psp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not necessarily true. C64 sold more than any 8-bit home micro, the NES on release was a very powerful machine. The PS1 was really competing with the Saturn and it outsold it and was more powerful. The SNES also outsold the Megadrive.

It depends on a lot of factors. Third party support, timing, price and maybe that special game that forces people to take notice of the machine. The GB succeeded because it had Tetris and a very reasonable price. The PS1 succeeded despite being an unknown because it was cheaper, more powerful and ridge racer was incredible and better than the Saturns poor Daytona port. The Xbox should have been a total flop if not for Halo. The PS2 sold on brand name because lets face it there was nothing worth buying on it for a few months. The DS looked like it would be a dud until the market exploded after nintendogs was released and the PSP was doing rubbish until FFVII crisis core and monster hunter saved it from obscurity in japan.

You just can't predict these things but as Sony and Apple have shown in the past there's room for a newcomer to arrive and shake things up and this steam box is looked very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't see how this would appeal to PC gamers. If they're trying to steal away xbox and PS gamers I think they're running out of time, once the majority of people have chosen their platform I don't see them spending more again for a while.

If I want a console experience with multi player I just plug in the other xbox controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i dont know how i feel about it. i guess more choice is always better.

i would like to know a bit more on its spec and the product itself. As a pc gamer i dont know if i will need it at all, but for console gamers it might be a great thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see how this would appeal to PC gamers. If they're trying to steal away xbox and PS gamers I think they're running out of time, once the majority of people have chosen their platform I don't see them spending more again for a while.

If I want a console experience with multi player I just plug in the other xbox controller.
    I see it exactly the opposite SL; as a non console owner this tempts me far more then any other console because I can use it on my PC as well. I know I will get regular sales AND I don't need to go on worry about future compitability as it's a PC base (compare to PS3 now not supporting PS2 games for example yet I can fire up a game from the 90s on my PC using Dosbox or stuff that's 10 year old in Windows).

If you own a console it may be a bit of a meh; but if you don't own a console OR if you're considering which one to get next (the PS4 or the Steam PC console with all those games you've already bought ready and waiting for you) I think they can make a very solid case for the Steam console to a PC gamer. If anything I'd say the Xbox/PS3 only owners are the once they would have problem with getting in on the deal.

All of this of course depends on the cost and ability of the console but if I'm looking at three equalish choices from Valve, Microsoft or Sony the choice is easy, only one of those consistently delivery quality products, extends free support AND builds a larger network and seeing the hardware issues on this generation (Red ring Xbox or CD chewing PS3) I'll go with Valve thank you very much.

I don't see this taking off or even being any major competition for PS or Xbox. Most of us with high end PCs and Steam accounts are already connecting our PC to our HD TV and playing some titles with a controller. Steam's big TV has made doing do a hell of a lot more straight forward and the only people I can see going for this console are PC gamers who don't keep their PC in the same room as their TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

As long as the Steambox has support for arcade sticks, I'm in.

Couldn't be bothered building a gaming PC, can't get excited over the next console generation.

If Valve are being smart (and they probably are) this box will be small, quiet & frugal on power consumption. More of a Wii/U than a 360 storage heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Didn't Valve do a hardware survey a few months back of the type of users who used Steam? Iirc, the majority of players were medium range laptops and PC gamers. So they obviously think there's a market there, these people might not have the time or money to invest in a top end PC, but a suitably priced Steam Box might just fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't see this increasing the couch PC users population too much from those who are already doing so, the main difference between a console and a PC isn't hardware or exclusives it's the marketing push. Especially at Christmas you can see Nintendo, MS, Sony, and retailers filling every available space for a ad with their stuff, when's the last time Valve even needed to advertise something.

I was reading a comment from Ken Levine about the Bioshock infinity box art on how it's not for those who were watching him speak at E3 and have know about this game since it was announced, it's for the uninformed who may not have heard of the series or knew a new game was coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I'll probably buy one depending on the price/performance, love the idea of having my PC library in a console.

Lot of info still needed tho.. so many questions !

One thing im predicting.. is that they'll launch a certain big valve title with it... it probably ends with 3. Maybe have a period of exclusivity on steam systems before releasing it on the other consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Jernal wrote: »
    Didn't Valve do a hardware survey a few months back of the type of users who used Steam? Iirc, the majority of players were medium range laptops and PC gamers. So they obviously think there's a market there, these people might not have the time or money to invest in a top end PC, but a suitably priced Steam Box might just fit the bill.
    I guess it'll depend on what OS they're running. If it's a cut down version of windows 8 or they're own OS. I'd assume it'll be windows 8 if it's going to be cross compatible with PC games.

They'll be able to get much more out of their hardware by having a slim OS, so it might not be so middle of the road. Most gaming PCs these days are over powered.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I guess it'll depend on what OS they're running. If it's a cut down version of windows 8 or they're own OS. I'd assume it'll be windows 8 if it's going to be cross compatible with PC games.

They'll be able to get much more out of their hardware by having a slim OS, so it might not be so middle of the road. Most gaming PCs these days are over powered.

if steam will make their own OS for games i might just run that away from windows. or if they make linux fully workable with linux, then same thing - ill be gone.
    Gabe would not pulled all this stunt, if he did not had something up his sleeves.

i like what TB had to say about this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It will come bundled with Half Life 3, and it will sell more units than there are people on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

After all their effort porting Source to Linux?

EDIT: What I meant was it seems they ported to Linux as a step towards their own platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

After all their effort porting Source to Linux?

Surely it's a step in that direction for them. If they were going to create a Steam OS it will more than likely be based on the Linux kernel.

Surely it's a step in that direction for them. If they were going to create a Steam OS it will more than likely be based on the Linux kernel.

this. Its like putting all those pieces together now. what are the chances of the new valve box running on linux? 99% if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Oh my!

If this is priced right on release, I'm totally buying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The one thing that concerns me is it may stifle the development of games requiring the latest hardware, just as consoles hold back console ports to pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

When Sega & Nintendo were wallowing in untouchable brilliance, the PS1 snook onto the scene & destroyed them hands down. A newcomer to the console market, Sony went up against huge figureheads that nobody in their right mind would have thought it could compete with, let alone beat.

I think, given the right circumstances, something like this could throw the cat amongst the pigeons of todays console giants. The possibilities are huge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Throw is some HTPC elements and you have quite a little power house here.

I know i'd be first in line to snap one up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If they get a decent mid range pc stuffed into a tidy box that will look good in the sitting room then they have a hit on their hands if they beat Sony and Microsoft to the market and undercut them then they will corner a good chunk of that market.

I will buy it but then I will buy both consoles too I got to have them all !

Advertisement