Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve developing steam box console

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That is true, that's why I said it could be "entry device". It would give a taste of it. So far it does support controller, but if it is based on that mini yoke, who said that mouse and keyboard is not supported? I really doubt they will shoot themselfs in a foot and restrict if to controller only.
    Oh I'm quite sure it'll support keyboard and mouse, I just find the idea of using them on couch in the typical living room to not be representative of the benefit they bring to certain genres when used on a desk.
    Come to think of it this steam box might make quite a **** storm in controller vs mouse and keyboard world. Can you imagine al poor steam box users playing call of duty vs people on proper pcs with mouse and keyboard. There will be nerdrages.
    Aye, it'd do one of two things; Either make people want to go back to the console or move onto a full PC or at least desk-based setup. In the case of gamers coming from a predominantly console background, I'd wager the numbers would lean on the former though.
    What do you think if it will be a separate platform from PC steam? Like a brand platform with its own steam shop? This controller thing really makes me wonder now.
    Not a chance in hell of it being a new platform. At most it'll be a UI shift to accommodate the controller, basically Big Picture Mode with some further iteration. Remember, Newell has already said it'll...
    be a Linux box, [and] if you want to install Windows you can."
    So I'm leaning more towards it simply being a small factor machine, whose design Valve will oversee, running some form of Linux with a tweaked client for the front-end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Kiith wrote: »
    I thought it was upgradable, with removable slots for certain bits of hardware?

Well that is the Xi3 system . . . and it seems that is always how they built their systems.

It turns out that the Xi3 system might not be a 'Steam Box' - but simply a system that is optimised to use the Steam Big Picture mode . . . the details are very sketchy. Valve stated yesterday that they will not be revealing any information about a 'Steam Box' in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well that is the Xi3 system . . . and it seems that is always how they built their systems.

It turns out that the Xi3 system might not be a 'Steam Box' - but simply a system that is optimised to use the Steam Big Picture mode . . . the details are very sketchy. Valve stated yesterday that they will not be revealing any information about a 'Steam Box' in 2013.

so like always, journalist were jumping to conclusions... :rolleyes:

it was quite an free advertisement campaign for that tiny box, they did not denied it, but they did not 100% confirmed it. In the end i wont be surprised if it wont even have anything to do with steam. it will be just a pc with steam program/app in it.

what i am really afraid here, that steam would not do some stupid idiotic stuff that razor did with that gaming laptop, which was suppost to kill all consoles and show how awesome pc gaming is... :rolleyes:
    If after all this buzz steam will just make some sort of licensing ( mentioned above in more details by other boardsie ) and give rough specs to prebuilt companies to do such PC and sell it with a logo "steam approved" or "steam inside for low spec, med spec, high spec etc", then it might be just most dissapointing thing ever.

so like always, journalist were jumping to conclusions... :rolleyes:

it was quite an free advertisement campaign for that tiny box, they did not denied it, but they did not 100% confirmed it. In the end i wont be surprised if it wont even have anything to do with steam. it will be just a pc with steam program/app in it.
    Well what started all of this was the press release from Xi3 stating they were working in partnership with Valve on the Piston box. This is, to be fair, quite true as Valve have invested in the company with, one would imagine, the end goal of having them as one of their partners. The gaming press then jumped on that as proof that this was the Steam Box. As far as I'm concerned I'll consider the box announced when I see Newell holding it in his hands on the stage floor. :)

gizmo wrote: »
    Well what started all of this was the press release from Xi3 stating they were working in partnership with Valve on the Piston box. This is, to be fair, quite true as Valve have invested in the company with, one would imagine, the end goal of having them as one of their partners. The gaming press then jumped on that as proof that this was the Steam Box. As far as I'm concerned I'll consider the box announced when I see Newell holding it in his hands on the stage floor. :)

True. Piston could be just one of the variation of steam box, who knows maybe valve got partnership with dell with mid spec stuff for example.
    As for announcement - spot on. The only thing that will be true is him holding the steam box in one hand, custard in other hand and time stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

stevenmu wrote: »
    I think what I'm really missing is how these Steamboxes will be any better than any other PC running Steam.

At the moment it all sounds a bit Games-For-Windows-Live-ish.

But that's precisely what it is though....

Look, I'm not sure where people are coming from thinking this is a whole new concept entirely. Put simply, the Steambox will offer nothing to current PC owners. All it is, is an attempt to take market share away from Microsoft and Sony by introducing downloadable games via Steam right into your living room on console.

If you have a decent PC rig already, then why would you purchase a Steambox. It's going to add literally nothing to your experience if you don't wish to have a sort of "PC in your living room". That's all it is and I for one, hope they succeed. Competition is a good thing...this year we'll have the introduction of a "PC Console" for lack of a better way of putting it in the form of the Steambox, we'll have the open source free-to-play OUYA console as well as the established players such as the Xbox720 and the PS4. It's a good year for gamers but the Steambox in particular is not promising anything new. They never promises anything new. At all. This is aimed at getting the "console kids" in front of a platform like Steam. It's not aimed at PC users that have been using Steam for years already.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yousef wrote: »
    But that's precisely what it is though....

Look, I'm not sure where people are coming from thinking this is a whole new concept entirely. Put simply, the Steambox will offer nothing to current PC owners. All it is, is an attempt to take market share away from Microsoft and Sony by introducing downloadable games via Steam right into your living room on console.

If you have a decent PC rig already, then why would you purchase a Steambox. It's going to add literally nothing to your experience if you don't wish to have a sort of "PC in your living room". That's all it is and I for one, hope they succeed. Competition is a good thing...this year we'll have the introduction of a "PC Console" for lack of a better way of putting it in the form of the Steambox, we'll have the open source free-to-play OUYA console as well as the established players such as the Xbox720 and the PS4. It's a good year for gamers but the Steambox in particular is not promising anything new. They never promises anything new. At all. This is aimed at getting the "console kids" in front of a platform like Steam. It's not aimed at PC users that have been using Steam for years already.

I reckon you're right. I do hope there is a small, relatively cheap box that lets you stream your steam collection from your PC (a local version of onlive) like he describes in the article as that sounds pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

gizmo wrote: »
    So I'm leaning more towards it simply being a small factor machine, whose design Valve will oversee, running some form of Linux with a tweaked client for the front-end.

Yeah, but what use will it be if all it can do is run the 30 odd has-been or never-will be games that are available on steam for linux? :confused:

By the lads. before jumping on all this, lets remember what he said " no comments on valve box in 2013 "

So this thing is not even coming out this year, it might even not come out next year. By that time, who knows, maybe we will be all on linux and giggling at MS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

By the lads. before jumping on all this, lets remember what he said " no comments on valve box in 2013 "

So this thing is not even coming out this year, it might even not come out next year. By that time, who knows, maybe we will be all on linux and giggling at MS.

If that is indeed the case, then I wouldn't have too much optimism for it. Gabe needs to catch Gates and Sony with their pants down much like Microsoft did with the 360. I think the Steambox can be a smashing success if they get it out asap. People, if you're to go by YouTube, are clamoring for a new piece of hardware. The current gen consoles are 8 year old pieces of hardware and there is a market for something new right now. If XB and the PS4 get out there and flood the market, then nobody will even bat an eyelid when Valve decide to release this.

Obviously, Microsoft and Sony have known about this new console before we even got a whiff of it. There will hopefully be some sort of downloadable games feature on the new XB and PS4 if not at launch, then certainly in the future. This is Valves only platform. But of course, we do have something called Valve Time. If Valve say they'll have something out tomorrow, look back again 24 months from now.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Yeah, but what use will it be if all it can do is run the 30 odd has-been or never-will be games that are available on steam for linux? :confused:
    Based on what has been said in the last few days this isn't as big a risk for Valve as most initially thought. Steam was always being ported to Linux and by using off the shelf components and/or being in partnership with third party hardware manufacturers, they're limiting their exposure in case it turns out to be a failure. Bearing that in mind I'd say they're more than happy to sit back and adopt a "build it and they will come" approach to Linux-support from third parties.
    I know you've expressed a strong dislike for Windows 8 however think about the good DirectX has done for gamers over the years. Sure it struggled in the early days (and that's being kind) but since then it's made both PC game development and gaming monumentally easier for most of us. I find it kind of sad that so many people are actually hoping MS fail just because of a UI shift which not everyone actually hates.

On that note, despite all of his doom and gloom talk, the "great sadness" is still the fourth most popular OS on Steam after only three months on sale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yousef wrote: »
    If that is indeed the case, then I wouldn't have too much optimism for it. Gabe needs to catch Gates and Sony with their pants down much like Microsoft did with the 360. I think the Steambox can be a smashing success if they get it out asap. People, if you're to go by YouTube, are clamoring for a new piece of hardware. The current gen consoles are 8 year old pieces of hardware and there is a market for something new right now. If XB and the PS4 get out there and flood the market, then nobody will even bat an eyelid when Valve decide to release this.

I can't see the Steam Box being released long before the next lineup in the Play Station & Xbox series. Valve have strongly stated that we should not expect any information on the Steam Box in 2013 - and they usually do not mislead people regarding their future plans. If we do not even hear anything about the Steam Box in 2013 then that hints at a mid to late 2014 or beyond release date, assuming that Valve do not just announce the release of the device out of the blue. I suspect that the next generation consoles will perhaps have hit the market before the Steam Box.

Valve engineer: No plans to announce 'Steam Box' in 2013
    "With regards to the Steam Box news – there has been a lot of things stated in the media which I didn't say," Krasnow tells Engadget, "For example, it's true that we are working on getting Steam into the living room, and are planning for a hardware box, but we have no current plans to announce anything in 2013."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Advertisement