Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve developing steam box console

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

For what it's worth, I have a list of criteria that if this thing matches, I'll buy it when my current hardware becomes too slow.

1) Mouse and Keyboard support - this is the most important thing for me.
    2) I can bring my already extensive Steam Library over to it.
    3) I can tweak settings on games in the same way I can on a PC now - I don't need fully fledged suite of video options because we're gonna have "controlled" hardware, but I'd want to be able to change FOVs and controls and huds and all that.

If it matches up on those things, I see absolutely no reason why I wouldn't buy one tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Though whomever told you that sticking "no offence" on the end of sentences negated you being a total tool beforehand really should have their right to teach English revoked.

That should read "whoever told you," when you're done lecturing other people on how to use English...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Kinski wrote: »
    That should read "whoever told you," when you're done lecturing other people on how to use English...

These days, either way is valid.

But enjoy your forthcoming warning, if the rules of the thread so far are being consistently applied.

These days, either way is valid.

Well, I disagree - as would many descriptivist linguists - but I'll leave it at that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Right, time for a bit of thread ressurrection. Phoronix (a linux based online news site) has posted an article claiming that the box will run a customized version of linux. This will also coincide with the new Valve engine which will run on same version of linux as well. They also link to a confirmation article by golem.de (English google transation is here) which has confirmation by Ben Krasnow "a Valves of hardware developers" that it will run linux and not windows and should be live in 2013.

Now the question is how well can their version of the linux core handle the "current" PC games and make them compatible...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Isn't having the Steam box Linux based just going to make it more difficult to develop for the pc? I mean developers already have to account for a massive amount of different hardware, never mind different versions of Windows. Now we're adding a completely different OS into it? I can't see the Activision's/EA's of the world being too happy about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kiith wrote: »
    Isn't having the Steam box Linux based just going to make it more difficult to develop for the pc? I mean developers already have to account for a massive amount of different hardware, never mind different versions of Windows. Now we're adding a completely different OS into it? I can't see the Activision's/EA's of the world being too happy about it.
    Depends on how compatible with Windows they can make it I'd guess; if it works out as a slightly annoying version of Windows I don't think many companies would care as they do Xbox/PS3/PC ports anyway (and those are significantly different enviroments).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm didn't someone, who by fact had more educated view then me, was proving me, that not a hope the new valve OS will be Linux based.

Anyway, good good news. If valve will pull this off and make Linux in process fully games friendly then Microsoft will be in a bit **** spot. Which is lovely indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nody wrote: »
    Right, time for a bit of thread ressurrection. Phoronix (a linux based online news site) has posted an article claiming that the box will run a customized version of linux. This will also coincide with the new Valve engine which will run on same version of linux as well. They also link to a confirmation article by golem.de (English google transation is here) which has confirmation by Ben Krasnow "a Valves of hardware developers" that it will run linux and not windows and should be live in 2013.

Now the question is how well can their version of the linux core handle the "current" PC games and make them compatible...

If all windows games dont play seamlessly on this platform it will be ein flopsicle. Wonder what valve are planning :confused:

Anyway, good good news. If valve will pull this off and make Linux in process fully games friendly then Microsoft will be in a bit **** spot. Which is lovely indeed.

Great, 'cause I'm never adopting Windows 8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How big is the Valve Mac catalogue, because these all run OpenGl and are very easily ported to linux?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Kinski wrote: »
    Great, 'cause I'm never adopting Windows 8.
    Which, from what I've been reading, is Valve's attitude as well. They're apparently not impressed with Microsoft's moves towards a closed platform

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    How big is the Valve Mac catalogue, because these all run OpenGl and are very easily ported to linux?

Pretty sure everything that can reasonably be ported to Mac has been by now, (ie from the Orange Box onwards). I doubt they will ever revisit the really old incarnations of the Source engine.

By the way are the are already miles ahead of you on the old linux porting ;)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118882-Valves-Source-Engine-Runs-Better-on-Linux-Than-Windows

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I think everything source and above has been ported to OS X.

There's over 100 games on OS X for steam, also currently 40 steam games ported to linux.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm didn't someone, who by fact had more educated view then me, was proving me, that not a hope the new valve OS will be Linux based.

I said it'd be a fucking stupid move.
    And it still would be.
    If this is true.

Are you done trying to be clever now?

I said it'd be a fucking stupid move.
    And it still would be.
    If this is true.

This smell of irony is just fantastic! :D

This smell of irony is just fantastic! :D

Well, if you think I said otherwise, feel free to show me.
    Otherwise, find someone else to misuse words at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Engadget has had a hands on with Xi3's Piston, the little PC heavily back from Valve. More than likely, this will the steam box.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/hands-on-with-xi3s-piston-modular-pc-at-ces/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A lot smaller than I was thinking, if this is to be the general box.

Looking forward to the reveal.

• Advertisement

I wonder if valve want to drop it off for this Xmas season to get Xbox and PS choke a bit.

I am really worried a bit. It is really really small. I can't wait for more info!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Shadowhearth would have to stop posting entirely for this to happen unfortunately. :pac:

I'm keen to see what they show in the next month, but I have a decent P.C. already. Hence I reckon I'd be far more likely to pick up an nVidia Shield than this, unfortunately. And there's little chance of that. :P Unless they really surprise me with something out of the blue. Like a year exclusivity of Half-Life 3 or something. :P

I'm sad, Valve don't seem to be catering to me personally these days :P I don't play very competitive MP so DOTA and CS:GO is out for me, I don't play TF2 either so I have no interest in hats :pac: this last sale was a little crap and this box probably won't interest me that much either. C'mon Valve, cater for the SP/social MP side of your market! :)

I also doubt very much that that's what the steambox will be shaped like; I'd say the innards will be almost exactly the same but the chassis will look different. That concave curving in looks so cheap. I hope they give the steambox a nice embossed Steam logo on the body :)

I also think Linux is a good idea, W8 is supposed to be a cluster****, and I prefer opensource software anyways. They'll just have to really push that whole porting thing then they're golden. I mean, the PS3 and WiiU doesn't run off Windows, right? And they're doing just fine. It's just a skin to us at the end of the day.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Going by Valve's recent statements on the Windows 8 App Store, it seems their great fear is that Microsoft might lock Windows gaming behind licensing walls, the same way as they do on the Xbox. The App Store may also become a major rival being the default digital content provider on the Windows operating system.

The development of a Linux based console would be part of a quite a long term strategy to counter act this, at least partially. It gives developers on the one hand a reason to develop Linux games now, as it may actually be financially viable to do so. But for Valve each game that's made for Linux is another game they can sell on Steam on the PC and having a robust library of games on Linux gives PC gamers and Steam users more incentive to use Linux. The more Linux users they have making up there customer base the less control Microsoft can exert over them.

Linux will also mean the Steambox or as some have dubbed it the "Gabecube" will cost less than a console with a Windows OS on it. Steam has 41 Linux based games currently most of them indie games. I suspect by launch all Valves back catalogue will be ported. Blizzard said they are porting one of there major titles to Linux this year as well. If Valve could produce Half Life 3 as the Steambox's killer app close to its release they might not be in bad a position at launch, but it still would not be enough to ensure the consoles success. That will obviously be down to 3rd party developers getting on board in the long run.

On the other hand a Windows OS would allow them to launch a console with 2,500 titles at launch and no worries about getting developers to support them. A pretty compelling reason to use it.

Andy!! wrote: »

I also think Linux is a good idea, W8 is supposed to be a cluster****, and I prefer opensource software anyways. They'll just have to really push that whole porting thing then they're golden. I mean, the PS3 and WiiU doesn't run off Windows, right? And they're doing just fine. It's just a skin to us at the end of the day.

"just" push the porting thing could be problematic, take a look at the size of their store. If existing PC games won't play on this without each game being individually ported then I can't see the point. Steam is basically a shop. A shop that has to wait for all its products to be recreated would be dubious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Bambi wrote: »
    "just" push the porting thing could be problematic, take a look at the size of their store. If existing PC games won't play on this without each game being individually ported then I can't see the point. Steam is basically a shop. A shop that has to wait for all its products to be recreated would be dubious

If they offer commission free sales for the first 6 months of the steambox if they port to linux, might be enought to entice people.

Also remember that valve have created some of the best games, they will be porting their own games.

Or they may simply play it smart and have the box work as a streaming engine from the PC for anything not ported to it using WiFi or similar set up. Porting problem solved; full game catalogue is there and ready to be used.

If they offer commission free sales for the first 6 months of the steambox if they port to linux, might be enought to entice people.

Also remember that valve have created some of the best games, they will be porting their own games.

The list of valve games may be impressive but it ain't long and it aint updated often, I don't think that is gonna sell this device. Maybe valve are playing a long game here and are willing to accept that this device is only the opening shot in a long campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Engadget has had a hands on with Xi3's Piston, the little PC heavily back from Valve. More than likely, this will the steam box.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/hands-on-with-xi3s-piston-modular-pc-at-ces/

Previously: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/262476727/xi3-help-us-usher-in-the-post-pc-era

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/321419/posts/322184/image-166395-full.jpg?1349398719

$499 for the cheapest one, CPU/GPU is a T56N, which is not suitable for gaming at all. For $499 you could build something significantly better.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

"just" push the porting thing could be problematic, take a look at the size of their store.

It's the responsibility of the individual developer to provide the port, not Valves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Andy!! wrote: »
    It's the responsibility of the individual developer to provide the port, not Valves.

Yes and if they don't then the steambox will not be very impressive will it?

I am sure valve have some sort of agreement with the more popular dev's to port their games and the rest will trickle in afterwards.

My guess is in 2-3 years the majority of games released on steam will be cross platform IF the steambox is succesful.

Advertisement