Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Cliff Avril tagged by Detroit

• Registered Users Posts: 37,519 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

kmart6 wrote: »
    So that makes him elite?!

He is nowhere near it, as Arch has said he belongs in the 3rd tier of QB's in the league!

Hell, look at Eli, 2 Superbowl rings and MVP's and people have argued he's not elite! The elite in the league are Brady,Peyton,Brees, Rodgers and after this year Eli...nobody else can really be put in that group! Big Ben and Rivers are way too inconsistent!
    Big Ben is elite.

Wes Welker tagged by the Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Wes Welker tagged by the Pats.

Bowe tagged by Chiefs
    Weatherford tagged by NYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Matt Prater tagged by the Broncos :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

spiralism wrote: »
    Matt Prater tagged by the Broncos :D
    Big surprise ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ravens cut Dominique Foxworth CB

Was fourth highest player on the team at one stage with a higher base salary then Ray Lewis and a higher cap hit then Ed Reed. CB is a premium position and the contracts are big

Injured last year, came back for pre-season and until Week Two but was a liability, still not recovered.
    Went on IR and has now failed a physical so gets released with an injury settlement

You have to wonder if he'll retire now.
    Could end up being head of the NFLPA one day, he's very senior in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Mathis tagged by the colts, a bit suprised by that one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,519 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

OAOB wrote: »
    Mathis tagged by the colts, a bit suprised by that one
    He is working out a long term deal with them and its done just to take him off the market and not let others affect the negotiations I think. I don't get why you are suprised by it though.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He is working out a long term deal with them and its done just to take him off the market and not let others affect the negotiations I think. I don't get why you are suprised by it though.

Didn't take too long either, they've announced a multi-year deal has been agreed.

Pierre Garçon wasn't frachise tagged either, so looks like both he and Wayne are out of Indy. Interesting to see how they approach adding some WRs in FA and the draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

eagle eye wrote: »

Thought they were trying to get younger on defence so didn't think he was worth franchising and tying up all that money but if they're working out a long term deal i guess it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Didn't take too long either, they've announced a multi-year deal has been agreed.

Pierre Garçon wasn't frachise tagged either, so looks like both he and Wayne are out of Indy. Interesting to see how they approach adding some WRs in FA and the draft.

Not franchising Garcon hardly means he's out of Indy, he's not exactly top tier so it would have been quite dangerous with all the uncertainty to potentially lock $14 million into a player you want to keep but not at anywhere near that price. Even Vincent Jackson wasn't franchised and the Chargers really want to hold onto him, the tag value on receivers now is just insanely high and makes tagging receivers an absolute last resort.

I'd imagine he's the offensive player they want to keep the most this off-season, there's no point getting Luck if you surround him with injury-prone players like Collie or people who are no more experienced with the set-up than Luck himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

How fcuking pointless tagging Mathis and then coming to deal a couple of hours later..waste of the tag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

How fcuking pointless tagging Mathis and then coming to deal a couple of hours later..waste of the tag!

Not a coincidence at all I'd imagine. Negotiations would work like that.

Usually it'd take a couple of days to work out a deal after being tagged, not a couple of hours! Could have done with that tag for Garcon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Mate it's a negotiation. We don't know the motivations for both but

Examples:

-deal was on the table. Mathis happy and wants to stay but waits to see if he's going to hit FA before signing it or holds out for the tag knowing if the Colts tag him they will be willing to go to a price on his contract which is more cap friendly.
    -Mathis doesn't want near the tag. He wants a guaranteed contract but once the tag is placed on him he caves on a deal on the table as his leverage is dimished significantly.
    -From Colts Pov they may not wanted to have to tag him but played the card they had in negotiations. Why? Much friendlier cap number then a tag. Mathis could have been holding out for a number the Colts didn't want to pay hoping he'd go closer to theirs rather than be tagged

Plenty more...

It's a game of chicken at times and this is a negotiation. That's why there's agents and team contract negotiatiors. The number doesn't fall into place without other factors other than pure worth!

Might have been a few hundred grand in it and once the cards fell into place and the motivations were clear the deal fell into place. Seems to be like that here

I know all that, just since I'm a Colts fan I'm just pissed about it!

Dunno was it mentioned but Chargers opt out of franchising Vincent Jackson, that's one excellent receiver hitting the market.

Also, Titans franchise Michael Griffin, leaving Cortland Finnegan to test the market

Finnegan won't be just testing the market...he's leaving Tennessee!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Who will take Finnegan? Could there be a reunion with Jim Schwartz? There's a need, but I think they have cap problems. The Cowboys could potentially sign him either, so long as they have no problem with his, um, style of play.

• Advertisement

He plays hard, people will point to the incident with Andre Johnson but nobody puts any blame on Johnson!

Can't see why the Cowboys would have an issue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

He plays hard, people will point to the incident with Andre Johnson but nobody puts any blame on Johnson!

Can't see why the Cowboys would have an issue with that!

He's got a bit of a dirty reputation even without that Johnson fight. Apparently that's how Jim Schwartz coached him.

Well I was watching a piece on NFL Network(I can't find it anywhere to show it to you) where Fisher fully defended him, pointed out that he plays so hard cause he's had to really work to get to where he is, and that all those perceptions are way off!

matthew8 wrote: »
    He's got a bit of a dirty reputation even without that Johnson fight. Apparently that's how Jim Schwartz coached him.

I personally remember us playing them two years ago and he was the dirtiest little **** that i'd ever seen set foot on a field that day. Still though, we're interested and there's no doubt he's a quality player. Would absolutely love to pick him up, we've probably the best shot after St.Louis, we're after making a playoff run, have a mountain of cap space and playing across from champ would mean that he'd get a lot thrown his way and a chance to put up some serious stats

Steelers decline to franchise Mike Wallace, he'll become a restricted free agent with a first round tender next week. San Francisco and Pats might take a look, amongst others?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well the steelers can't afford to franchise him I don't think they have cap space.

I'd be hopeful the 49ers would make an offer, though I would expect the Steelers will do everything they can to match any offer made by SF or NE.

To my mind he's the best available WR in free agency and is easily worth a late first round pick.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well the steelers can't afford to franchise him I don't think they have cap space.

I'd be hopeful the 49ers would make an offer, though I would expect the Steelers will do everything they can to match any offer made by SF or NE.

To my mind he's the best available WR in free agency and is easily worth a late first round pick.

He'd outweigh any player available after 20 talent wise so if the need would be there it makes insanely good sense. Rams could always get in on the mix if they trade back.. I'd say he either stays with the steelers or goes to the niners, they will definitely make a real push for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Any chance of the Bucs, getting an upgrade at WR in Free Agency?

Loads of Cap space available, and a need for a top 20 Reciever, until Benn and Williams learn to beat coverage. Williams is an excellent Number 2 Reciever, but up against the Big Boys, he was really shown up.

I know Manningham was touted a while back, but If we were going for a WE, I'd love it to be a guy like Wallace or Jackson.... however unlikely that might be.

EDIT: First round tender on Wallace... No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

As a titans fan I hope Finnnegan leaves. He's nothing but a punk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Any chance of the Bucs, getting an upgrade at WR in Free Agency?

Loads of Cap space available, and a need for a top 20 Reciever, until Benn and Williams learn to beat coverage. Williams is an excellent Number 2 Reciever, but up against the Big Boys, he was really shown up.

I know Manningham was touted a while back, but If we were going for a WE, I'd love it to be a guy like Wallace or Jackson.... however unlikely that might be.

EDIT: First round tender on Wallace... No thanks.

would make sense but jackson is going to command big bucks

Advertisement