Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Red Bryant signs with seattle for 5 years @35million.
    Eddie Royal gone to washington apparently...not sure on that one tho

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The San Francisco 49ers announced they have signed CB Perrish Cox to a two-year contract.
    http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/49ers-Sign-CB-Cox-to-2-year-Deal/cccc2038-ed4d-487c-9625-999da4f25fbc

will he get much game time? he has a lot to prove after his stint with the Broncos...

This may mean Carlos Rodgers is on the way out I guess but I don't know a whole lot about Cox to be honest, is he any good?

They may be just adding some depth.

I'd be thinking Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver as starters if rodgers doesn't come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

mayordenis wrote: »
    whats the best place for getting breaking news on all things nfl? I currently use SI and NFL.com, and check walterfootball but what are the best options?

ESPN tend to be quicker than NFL. There's not really any sites that are quicker than ESPN, NFL or SI. Best breaking news comes from who you follow on twitter. Do you use it? If so I'll throw up a few must-follows for breaking news.

Alternatively, forums are often good for breaking news. Any of the team specific forums on Footballs Future, or the WalterFootball forum if you wade through all the bullshít posts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Josh morgan in talks with Washington, very close to a deal according to Schefter via twitter.

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/statuses/179673060989878272

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Do you use it? If so I'll throw up a few must-follows for breaking news.

I do indeed, fire them up and I'll get following, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

ESPN tend to be quicker than NFL. There's not really any sites that are quicker than ESPN, NFL or SI. Best breaking news comes from who you follow on twitter. Do you use it? If so I'll throw up a few must-follows for breaking news.

Alternatively, forums are often good for breaking news. Any of the team specific forums on Footballs Future, or the WalterFootball forum if you wade through all the bullshít posts.

A lot of the deals appear in the trending section of twitter quite fast too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Hey follow @incarceratedbob on twitter.

Seems like just a normal guy. Ive been following him for over a year now (2 free agencys) He prides himself in getting news out there before main streams.

Ive never seen him post news and working out like he said.

Give it a try.
    He says its a donedeal, then it really is.

Would love to know where he gets his sources from.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I do indeed, fire them up and I'll get following, much appreciated.

The bigger fish would be:

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)
    Peter King (@SI_PeterKing)
    ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk)
    Jason LaCanfora (@JasonLaCanfora)
    Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer)
    Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer)
    Chris Mortensen (@mortreport)

A couple of other secondary sources who are good would be

James Walker (@JamesWalkerESPN)
    John Clayton (@ClaytonESPN)
    Ross Tucker (@RossTuckerNFL)
    Aaron Wilson (@RavensInsider) - Mainly Ravens but gets some other good scoops too
    Bob Kravitz ‏(@bkravitz) - Just Indy, but it's an exciting time to follow what they're up to :P

There's plenty of division specific / team specific reporters as well as draft-focusing guys too, but a lot of them can clutter your twitter feed with non-news related stuff. Good way to pick up new guys to follow is to see who the likes of those above are retweeting. Any teams / divisions in particular you'd be more interested in and I'll see if I can root out any I follow?

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Hey follow @incarceratedbob on twitter.

Seems like just a normal guy. Ive been following him for over a year now (2 free agencys) He prides himself in getting news out there before main streams.

Ive never seen him post news and working out like he said.

Give it a try.
    He says its a donedeal, then it really is.

Would love to know where he gets his sources from.

Incarceratedbob of "Nnamdi is a Jet" fame? ;)

PFT says it best -

RT @ProFootballTalk: It's the first day of free agency, and @incarceratedbob already is in midseason "educated guess" mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Redskins winning the Off-Season again! One of these years it'll translate to the actual season though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Thats because he is a jets fan???
    I know he is a proper clown, but gets the news first and is spot on.

Redskins winning the Off-Season again! One of these years it'll translate to the actual season though.

Paying Pierre Garcon $42.5 million is winning? There's a reason a friend of mine who posts here and myself call him Frenchy McDrop, and it's not just our lack of imagination! :P

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
    There is an agreement between free-agent WR Josh Morgan and Redskins. So two new WRs: Morgan and Pierre Garcon, so far. Eddie Royal on deck.

ProFootballTalk ‏ @ProFootballTalk
    WR Josh Morgan agrees to five-year deal with Redskins that will void to two years. Worth up to $12 million. $7.5 million "guaranteed."

With the numbers @ProFootballTalk reported, Josh Morgan got more from the Redskins than Randy Moss got from the 49ers.

Interesting to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Morgan was having nice season before injury, they are doing good job getting things ready for RGIII. As a Giants fan its worrying. They are a very decent defense and if RGIII lives up to the hype this looks a playoff calibre team

Personally, I think it's 3 unnecessary signings. They've basically signed 3 #2 receivers. RGIII's best asset is his deep accuracy - none of these guys are a legitimate number 1 receiver. You've got to assume going by what they're paying him that Pierre Garcon is supposed to be their new #1. Garcon drops over 10% of catchable passes thrown his way (7th worst in the NFL - PFF), has only caught 12 out of 52 passes of 20+ yards over the last 2 years (stats were equal for the Manning and Manning-less season, so not down to who was throwing to him). He's just not a double coverage breaking guy. With the money they've given Garcon, Morgan and Royal, why didn't they make a play for Vincent Jackson? He and Griffin would tear it up. They already have a good young receiving core. V-Jax #1, Santana Moss #2 would have been ideal. Leonard Hankerson, Niles Paul and Aldrick Robinson were all draft picks last year (the former two having nice potential). I think they've overpaid vastly for very average players that are no better than what they have. They needed a #1, but they went out and signed a bunch of #2s. Not good enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I completly agree that they have overpaid (its the redskins what do you expect) but Morgan and Garcon are both potentially very good players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TimThomas

Pats Brian Hoyer testing the waters as a Restricted Free Agent. Looks like he is looking for starting spot elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Cowboys cut CB Terence Newman and Kicker David Buehler.

Cowboys are really going to need to up their game if they're to stay competitive in the N.F.C. East next season, Giants are obviously SuperBowl champions, Redskins are building the team around RG3 and could have a decent season if Griffin has as much of an impact as Newton did at the Panthers and the Eagles, well, they blow hot an cold but when they're good, they're good.

The Cowboys really need to sign Carr or Finnegan now and draft wisely as the defense needs a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jason Campbell joins the Bears to backup Jay Cutler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Strange move by Campbell, outside of Manning and Flynn he's the best QB on the market. I'd have thought he'd at least be in a competition to start for a team, he's a better QB than a lot have given him credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Vincent Jackson to the Bucs!
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers ‏ @TBBuccaneers
    If you've been containing your excitement, it's now official: WR Vincent Jackson to the Bucs, five-year deal! Huge move just hours into FA.

Just thinking about the QB market right now and how I would rank them based on talent, age etc.

For me this is the order.

1. Andrew Luck
    2. Peyton Manning
    3. Matt Flynn
    4. RGIII
    5. Kyle Orton
    6. Alex Smith
    7. Jason Campbell
    8. Brandon Wheeden
    9. Brian Hoyer
    After that you can go a lot of different ways imo. You got Chad Henne, Donovan McNabb, Brady Quinn and draftees starting with Ryan Tannehill.

I am just shocked tbh that Matt Flynn has not been signed yet. I understand that Manning is the prize asset but Flynn is younger and its really like a first round draft pick. For me if he was in the draft right now he would be taken at no.2 and thats not belittling the guy in any way whatsoever as Luck is as close as you can get to a certainty to be a star in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Paully D wrote: »
    Vincent Jackson to the Bucs!

26m over the first two years, VJac finally gets the contract he's been looking for. Between him and Williams they have a very good duo of lead receivers for Freeman to throw to. Add in a solid ground game and their offence should be productive...hopefully they can get the defence sorted over the off-season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

eagle eye wrote: »

I am just shocked tbh that Matt Flynn has not been signed yet. I understand that Manning is the prize asset but Flynn is younger and its really like a first round draft pick. For me if he was in the draft right now he would be taken at no.2 and thats not belittling the guy in any way whatsoever as Luck is as close as you can get to a certainty to be a star in the NFL.

Teams that have a big need at QB have had RG3 and Manning to keep there focus away from Flynn. Plus Its probably more to do that he'll want a Kevin Kolb type deal . That's 20 mill guaranteed. Flynn has had two excellent games as a starter in a high powered offense. What can he do in Miami or Cleveland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Washington have signed Eddie Royal to a 2-year $12million deal

Mad money for a No.3 WR - he might do okay in the slot with Griffin - but at that price the Redskins can have him. Denver has better things to be spending that kind of money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Washington have signed Eddie Royal to a 2-year $12million deal

Mad money for a No.3 WR - he might do okay in the slot with Griffin - but at that price the Redskins can have him. Denver has better things to be spending that kind of money on.

$6m a year for Eddie Royal...are you sh1tting me!?!!?

No wonder the Redskins are always sh1te and in cap trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Don't see how Flynn would ever have been signed before Manning, the pool is the same and his value will go up if teams get desperate when they miss out on Manning.

In simple terms he's the consolation prize for teams who either wanted Manning but knew he'd never join them (Cleveland) or ones like Miami (we'll see) and Seattle that he at least considered but didn't get him.

Teams that have a big need at QB have had RG3 and Manning to keep there focus away from Flynn. Plus Its probably more to do that he'll want a Kevin Kolb type deal . That's 20 mill guaranteed. Flynn has had two excellent games as a starter in a high powered offense. What can he do in Miami or Cleveland?
    Cam Newton got over $20 million guaranteed money, Luck is going to get that as well and RGIII too. I look at it from the point of view that you've seen Luck be successful in a pro-style offense, you've seen Matt Flynn being successful in a pro-offense. For me that puts him there with a top draft pick, he is young and looks like he has a big future so you pay the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

eagle eye wrote: »
    For me that puts him there with a top draft pick, he is young and looks like he has a big future so you pay the guy.

I disagree, Flynn has very little tape as both a college QB and as an NFL QB for teams to accurately see his true value.

Because there is such a need this off season hes going to get the money. Still a massive gamble though.

Advertisement