Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

spiralism wrote: »
    Who were 7-9 with a far inferior quarterback to the year before? Same amount of wins as they had the past year. You really think we'll match the worst season in franchise ****ing history only two years after it, despite a massive rebuild to the point that we made a playoff run? Come off it, that's hater talk. I'd rate it quite a bit more likely that we pick up at least two more wins from last year than lose four.

A 8-8 team who made the play-offs, beat a superbowl winner and then got beaten and followed up the next year with a losing team. It's not hater talk at all, more realism. Not sure where ten wins are coming from Raidersx2, Chargersx2, Cheifsx2, Saints, Pats, Steelers, Panthers, Bucs, Browns, Texans, Falcons, Ravens and bengals. Keep believing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I think you have to look at it from the Bears perspective - Forte is just coming off of a season ending MCL injury, a very delicate injury for a player like him. I don't think the Bears don't appreciate him - he was underpaid simply because he was on his rookie contract for a mid second round pick. For the Bears to commit to a big money, multi-year contract now would be very risky. Had he not been injured, I'm sure they would have taken care of him, but I think they're doing the right thing in tagging him and seeing how he looks this year. Forte is one of the more financially astute players in the NFL so I'm sure he understands this.

All the talk even prior to his injury was how far apart the two teams were in contract talks and the MCL injury just highlighted the importance to Forte of getting a deal in place to secure his own future. I agree that the Bears are doing whats best for the franchise but I'm only wishing the player gets the best deal for him. Forte was absolutely brilliant last year and has far outperformed his contract, if he picks up a career ending injury now he'll retire without the financial support a lot of inferior players got.
    It was this arguement that lead to Vincent Jackson not signing the franchise tag for the Chargers 2years ago, he decided to protect his future earnings.
    Actually is not signing the franchise tag still an option to the players or did the new CBA change that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

A 8-8 team who made the play-offs, beat a superbowl winner and then got beaten and followed up the next year with a losing team. It's not hater talk at all, more realism. Not sure where ten wins are coming from Raidersx2, Chargersx2, Cheifsx2, Saints, Pats, Steelers, Panthers, Bucs, Browns, Texans, Falcons, Ravens and bengals. Keep believing though.

Seattle were a seven win team when they made the playoffs. One each from the division(at least), panthers, browns, bucs, texans, steelers, falcons and bengals are all winnable. Hard to say which team will be good from one year to the next. Sure all the division has to play most of these teams anyways bar two games, we managed 8 wins on a murderous schedule in 09 with Kyle Orton and Josh McDaniels after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭spillit67

OAOB wrote: »
    All the talk even prior to his injury was how far apart the two teams were in contract talks and the MCL injury just highlighted the importance to Forte of getting a deal in place to secure his own future. I agree that the Bears are doing whats best for the franchise but I'm only wishing the player gets the best deal for him. Forte was absolutely brilliant last year and has far outperformed his contract, if he picks up a career ending injury now he'll retire without the financial support a lot of inferior players got.
    It was this arguement that lead to Vincent Jackson not signing the franchise tag for the Chargers 2years ago, he decided to protect his future earnings.
    Actually is not signing the franchise tag still an option to the players or did the new CBA change that?

Forte was asking for insane money.

This is a negotiation and has been ongoing for months and if it was simple then it would be done. The Bears are one of the better teams in the NFL for rewarding their players and know full well his value.

There were factors mid season though as to why they were apart;
    -Forte wanting a lot of $ to reward him for his past as well as future efforts. That doesn't compute with a salary cap
    -The running game as well know has shifted dramatically in recent years. Running back by committee ect is all the rage. His value isn't what it would have been 10 years ago.
    -Forte has taken a lot of carries. This year was the first where he really had a reliever of quality to take pressure off him. He had the highest number of carries in the league iirc his rookie year. That is NOT a good sign for a player heading into his late 20s
    -By the end of this deal Forte's performance will full off and there's not much doubt about it because of the pounding he's taken. Forte knows this, the Bears know this. Therefore both are scrambling to ensure the contract works in their favour. Forte will want a lot of $ up front.

Now there's the issue with his MCL ect.

Does he deserve to get paid a lot? Absolutely but this is a business. It's not so simple as just rewarding past performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

If I was Forte I would try to get the hell away from the Bears unless I got big money. He is by far their most valuable player. The Bengals, Browns and Bucs have lots of cap space and would love to have him.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    If I was Forte I would try to get the hell away from the Bears unless I got big money. He is by far their most valuable player. The Bengals, Browns and Bucs have lots of cap space and would love to have him.

:confused:

The Bears are better than the Bucs and Browns are imo better than the Bengals.

Jay Cutler is our most valuable player tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

matthew8 wrote: »
    If I was Forte I would try to get the hell away from the Bears unless I got big money. He is by far their most valuable player.
    spillit67 wrote:
    Jay Cutler is our most valuable player tbf.

C5WPE.png

Tough call you're right. Peppers is a phenom and our D gets very mediocre without him

Cutler though is the QB and we all saw what happened without him out there last year. He's got certain talents which allow us to win despite an inept offensive line and a wide receiving corps of No 3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

spillit67 wrote: »
    Tough call you're right. Peppers is a phenom and our D gets very mediocre without him

Cutler though is the QB and we all saw what happened without him out there last year. He's got certain talents which allow us to win despite an inept offensive line and a wide receiving corps of No 3s.

Off topic i know but just wondering do you consider Cutler an elite QB?
    Personally i don't think he is, wouldn't be in my top 10 in the league but everyone looks at it differently

Saints franchise tag Drew Brees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Not surprising since they couldn't agree on anything! And the tender could have been a disaster for them!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Will colston and nicks both hit the market then?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Will colston and nicks both hit the market then?

Nicks says he wants to re-sign before free agency but that they would have to make him the highest paid guard in the NFL.

He has a case to be....
    How good is Carl Nicks? Allowed just 12 pressures all last season in 700 passing plays, is a powerful run blocker, just 26 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Raidersx2, Chargersx2, Cheifsx2, Saints, Pats, Steelers, Panthers, Bucs, Browns, Texans, Falcons, Ravens and bengals.

Jesus christ thats some schedule! :eek:

OAOB wrote: »
    Personally i don't think he is, wouldn't be in my top 10 in the league but everyone looks at it differently

Absolutely.

Do you watch the Bears much?

Absolutely.

Do you watch the Bears much?
    Jay Cutler is not an Elite QB!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Jay Cutler is not an Elite QB!

Disagree. Give him a wide receiever and the stats will flow.

Your terms of reference is probably the 2010 NFC Championship game though.

You people probably rate Matt Ryan higher. A guy who has Roddy White and a team willing to go out and splash out on Tony Gonzalez. Not to mention giving up multiple picks for Julio Jones. A team with a proper running game and O line.

Jay Cutler has a kick returner turned wide out, a couple of mid round receivers and Roy Williams! An O line and coordinator which gets him killed weekly. Yet he was getting wins last year. He was putting in elite performances every week. His MNF performance vs the Lions for example was one of the best I've seen all year. Making great throws and avoiding the rush all game.

e·lite

Noun: A group of people considered to be the best in a particular society or category, esp. because of their power, talent, or wealth.

In this case, the "society or category" is the NFL. Do you really think Jay Cutler is considered to be the best because of his talent? I mean, in my eyes, elite refers to the best of the best - a small group of quarterbacks that have no superiors.

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Eli and Peyton are the elite QBs in the NFL imo. Roethlisberger and Rivers would be in the next group behind them. Jay Cutler is a long way off those Quarterbacks. He's good, but he's more at home classed alongside Tony Romo and Matt Schaub. There's not a chance Cutler can be considered elite, not yet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

e·lite

Noun: A group of people considered to be the best in a particular society or category, esp. because of their power, talent, or wealth.

In this case, the "society or category" is the NFL. Do you really think Jay Cutler is considered to be the best because of his talent? I mean, in my eyes, elite refers to the best of the best - a small group of quarterbacks that have no superiors.

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Eli and Peyton are the elite QBs in the NFL imo. Roethlisberger and Rivers would be in the next group behind them. Jay Cutler is a long way off those Quarterbacks. He's good, but he's more at home classed alongside Tony Romo and Matt Schaub. There's not a chance Cutler can be considered elite, not yet anyway.

Why not? He's the only top level QB who is throwing it to no one
    both at WR and TE under the single worst OL in the history of the NFL.

Are you really saying Jay Cutler is an elite NFL Quarterback?

Are you really saying Jay Cutler is an elite NFL Quarterback?

Sorry to clarify, my mistake. I consider him top 10. Top 5 no but top 10 yeah. I understand that's not everyone's definition of elite but the framing of the q was elite and top 10 so I answered it that way.

He's potentially top 5 if he is given help. If he had the tools Ryan does then i could see very good things from him

Stev_o wrote: »
    Why not? He's the only top level QB who is throwing it to no one
    both at WR and TE under the single worst OL in the history of the NFL.
    So that makes him elite?!

He is nowhere near it, as Arch has said he belongs in the 3rd tier of QB's in the league!

Hell, look at Eli, 2 Superbowl rings and MVP's and people have argued he's not elite! The elite in the league are Brady,Peyton,Brees, Rodgers and after this year Eli...nobody else can really be put in that group! Big Ben and Rivers are way too inconsistent!

Sorry to clarify, my mistake. I consider him top 10. Top 5 no but top 10 yeah. I understand that's not everyone's definition of elite but the framing of the q was elite and top 10 so I answered it that way.

He's potentially top 5 if he is given help. If he had the tools Ryan does then i could see very good things from him
    Well actually the only question was if he was elite or not!

He is nowhere near Top 5....which one of the Mannings,Brady,Brees and Rodgers do you think he's better than?!

Well then we're arguing over nothing :p

I'd consider Cutler top 10, probably around the 8-10 range (after Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning 1, Manning 2, Roethlisberger and Rivers). I'd have to think about how I would separate Cutler, Stafford, Schaub etc. from one another. Too busy looking at draft stuff to give it a proper think, so I'll give Cutler the edge based on the fact I actually do like the guy!

This was the Q

Originally Posted by OAOB:

Top 10 and elite mentioned. That's what I was replying to and why I was framing my answers that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Not sure where he might go
    FA is under two weeks away
    NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reiterates that "multiple" teams are interested in Moss, who is reportedly willing to ease his way back into the league by accepting a non-guaranteed contract. Possible fits include the Bears, Pats, Eagles, Ravens, and Jets. Moss is said to be on good terms with former Vikings coach Mike Tice, who is now running Chicago's offense

Citing a source close to Randy Moss, Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports that the free agent receiver is willing to accept a non-guaranteed contract.
    I realy don't see the Ravens going for it, they've spent the last few years bringing in old receivers who just never work out.
    Tandon Doss, a fourth round pick from last year expected to step up and have a role this season. The next Anquan Boldin we're hoping

Clinton Portis also giving interviews to ESPN and other places and doing his best to get back into the league after a year out.
    Someone will bring him to training camp for a shot.
    I don't know a whole lot about Portis, his best days were before I followed football. He was impressive in the interviews, that man can certainly talk

Expected....
    Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch signed a 4 year, $31 million deal, including $18 guaranteed.
    Seahawks and Marshawn Lynch's reps had these numbers agreed to for a month and it took until today for the RB to actually sign off on it.

Oh and just look how funny Adam is....
    And now, Skittles for everyone.
    ....oh Adam!

• Advertisement

Stevie Johnson resigns with the Bills, and Arian Foster resigns with the Texans.

Advertisement