Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Secure watch battery fault

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Hi All,

I, too, am getting the Battery fault message on the alarm panel for the last couple of days. €150-€300 seems a bit steep to have someone come out to do what should be a simple job so I was going to try and tackle it myself.

Before I do, I was just wondering if the following batteries were the correct ones? (Amazon link), just for reference.

Also, I have seen in this thread that some had issues that all their zone configurations and alarm codes were reset. Would it be possible to get a copy of the engineer manual in the event that I have to reprogram the alarm?

Thanks in advance for your help.

That battery looks fine. The battery I got didn't fit the spade connectors inside the alarm box. I had to cut off the plastic parts of the spade connectors and and widen them with a flathead screwdriver which did the job. Just something to be aware of as I expected the battery terminals would have been standard enough size wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Hi guys,

Would someone be able to PM the engineer's manual for the SecureWatch HKC alarm?

Also, is there a tamper spring when you open the box? Is this coming out a problem?

Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Synode wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Would someone be able to PM the engineer's manual for the SecureWatch HKC alarm?

Also, is there a tamper spring when you open the box? Is this coming out a problem?

Thanks a mil

Sent you that by P.M.

Yes, when you open the control panel it will activate a tamper depending on the version. If it does simply enter your user code on the keypad to silence.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How do you mean this coming out.?
    Do you mean just the lid opening? If so, that's fine just disarm like Altor explained. If the spring is popping off it may need to be tightened onto the microswitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sorry I thought it was a spring to make sure you don't open the box. But it appears to be a spring to activate the alarm when opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Sorry I thought it was a spring to make sure you don't open the box. But it appears to be a spring to activate the alarm when opened.

Yes that is correct.
    All systems would have some sort of a tamper mechanism.
    It is there to activate in the event of unauthorised or authorized in your case opening of control panel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ahh Ok.
    Just checking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Muttonh

Hi Guys,

I'm having a similar issue if anyone could help. Had a Battery panel fault on the unit and have since replaced the Battery. Powered off the mains and replaced the battery but still receiving a low battery warning with the Alarm and fault light still flashing. Alarm randomly goes off also.

When I cut the main power in the house the alarm didn't sound so not sure if the alarm is on a separate circuit.

Any help would be great.

Which system do you have. HKCs newer systems need the engineer code to reset the battery timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I have a HomeGuard Securewatch. Been in the house since we bought it about a year ago. Recently I noticed that the tone that sounds when the alarm is set (i.e. the timer to leave the house) which usually gets higher and higher pitched as time runs out, was starting off at higher and higher pitches. I didn't know what to make of it. Then last night it went off in the middle of the night. I was disarmed at the time. Code wouldn't work so ended up switching it off at the fusebox. There was no error code showing on the display, just an underscore line _ .

Flipping it on today the alarm just kept going off so I unscrewed the bellbox and the keypad and pulled the fuse out of the attached box. Flipped the mains back on and when I put the fuse back in the alarm went off but I was able to disarm it with the code. Then it started showing error messages. I flicked it on and off at the mains again and the error messages changed. Most recently it was PF A1 PF A3 which I understand means power fail in zones 1 and 3.

I reset it by pressing zero and now it's just showing |_| again as per normal - disarmed, but I couldn't set it again. I've just gone out and checked it again and now it appears to be arming again. I don't imagine that I've fixed it will all my messing around so would anyone be able to give me a steer as to what's happened here? I'm totally confused!

• Advertisement

Its a Homeguard system. Not Securewatch. A very old system. Have you checked all the internal fuses on the main PCB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

KoolKid wrote: »
    Its a Homeguard system. Not Securewatch. A very old system. Have you checked all the internal fuses on the main PCB ?

Hi Koolkid yes you're right of course . Had a securewatch in my last place and getting confused.

What's a PCB? I pulled the fuse out of the little box next to the internal ringer but it seemed ok.

The power fail indicators on the display made me think it's a battery issue but you reckon it could be fuse related?

Pcb is the main circuit board in the control panel.
    There would be a number of seperate fuses on that board. Remove each of them and check them with a meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

Would anyone have any info of any reputable companies that do call outs to fix this battery fault issue? I'm in Newbridge, Kildare.

Check out the sticky that will give you some installers here as well as a link to the PSA register for installers.

Thanks KoolKid, appreciated. Would you be able to PM me the manual please?

Which panel?

Sorry for delay.. its the HKC SecureWatch panel

PMed you that .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 KokaKola

Hi,

I am sure there is a simple config error here, but reading through the thread you guys seem to sort everything. I recently added a new PIR to my HKC system in the front hall which also covers the front door. Now when I set the alarm there is an exit error. I have the PIR set to Alarm and Access set to yes in the config. Also the Front door contact is set to Entry/Exit. External Alarm has been tested OK, but it fails to trigger when the alarm is set and I introduce an alarm condition. When I go to the RKP it says Exit Error? Any pointers?

• Advertisement

Let the alarm fully arm then activate the PiR. Otherwise its just an exit fault & that only sounds the internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 KokaKola

Thanks a million for the pointer. Alarm arms and operates perfectly if I do not use the Entry/Exit point to test the alarm. Is this what is causing the Entry Fault condition? The fact that you come through the front door and do not disable the alarm? Finally on the timers menu there is a split entry timer, what is this used for?

Many thanks for the help to date very much appreciated.

The PiR is an access zone.
    For the alarm to fully set the timer must end and the Front door & the PiR must be closed. If after the exit time the front door is open then the system alerts an exit fault and generally this is set up to activate the internal bell only.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mazotasan

Hi, I am looking for some advice on a hkc sw 10120 panel. I received a panel battery fault. I replaced the battery. Powered down and back up again. I am still getting the panel battery fault and Amber light is on. I've read about resetting the battery timer but I cannot find it in the menus after entering the engineer code...any suggestions? Thanks

Is this the newer Secure Wave 1070?
    If so I may have PMed you the wrong manual from the other thread.
    I'll send you 1070 manual also.
    There is a battery timer on their newer panels that will require the engineer code to reset it.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is this the newer Secure Wave 1070?
    If so I may have PMed you the wrong manual from the other thread.
    I'll send you 1070 manual also.
    There is a battery timer on their newer panels that will require the engineer code to reset it.
    Thanks for manual...It's the older one...so the first one matches my menus. There is no battery timer reset functionality. I can't see why the fault won't clear...might check the voltage on new battery to be sure it's good...

If you have a meter check the voltage. also check the voltage coming from the leads when the battery is disconnected. Also try connecting the battery on its own with the mains power removed.

The voltage across the new battery is 11.38v which I thought was a little low? The voltage across the leads with battery disconnected is erratic....8.5v to 11.5v, it changes approx every second. It seems to function fine with battery connected and mains powered down.
    Any thoughts?

You have a problem with the main board or a powered device connected to it.
    Connect the meter & disconnect all the powered devices one by one & see if it settles back to 13 volts +

• Advertisement

KoolKid many thanks for the help with the fault finding. It got me on the right road. In the end it was a faulty power supply to the main board. With the new one installed it took a few hours to recharge the battery and bingo amber light off. Thanks again.

Advertisement