Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Vermaelen really deserves them bonus points after gifting newcastle their goal

Rosicky and Walcott deserved points more so than RVP imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Fizman wrote: »
    Rosicky and Walcott deserved points more so than RVP imo.

Didn't see the match but the amount of times Walcott was mentione on BBC, Im amazed he didn't pick any up.

<Insert rant about sh*t BP system here>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

If you go to a person's page at the moment and check in the bottom right under the "Transfers & Finance" heading can you see how many transfers a person has made for next week?

I'm looking at a friends here and he has 4 transfers on it. He only made 2 last week so I'm inclined to think that it is true. On my own page I haven't made any transfers and it comes up as zero.

It isn't the greatest thing in the world. I know now that I'll have a 12 point advantage over him before I even start next week. And that he will probably have dropped Ba, Suarez, Kuyt and another player. It makes my week easier but I really shouldn't know these things. It was never like this before, was it?

It has ALWAYS been the case ;). But unlike the bug at the beginning of the season you can't see which transfer(s) he/she 's made. Of course you can guess, but you can guess wrong. I don't think it's that much of an issue. I actually think it's a "nice" thing. There's some kind of psychological battle in it. It can put a little pressure on your transfer choice(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Getting very close at the top of the boards league. Not doing well myself this season but its great to see the quality of the boards league is as high as ever, top 50 all inside the top 10000 overall. Very good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

iroced wrote: »
    It has ALWAYS been the case ;). But unlike the bug at the beginning of the season you can't see which transfer(s) he/she 's made. Of course you can guess, but you can guess wrong. I don't think it's that much of an issue. I actually think it's a "nice" thing. There's some kind of psychological battle in it. It can put a little pressure on your transfer choice(s).

I'm only after noticing it this week.

It has definitely put me under some pressure now. I have a good few players I'm dying to get rid of. Really don't want to take a points hit though. In the past they have almost never worked out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

FPL doesn't want me making any transfers this week...

vrCLs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

If you go to a person's page at the moment and check in the bottom right under the "Transfers & Finance" heading can you see how many transfers a person has made for next week?

I'm looking at a friends here and he has 4 transfers on it. He only made 2 last week so I'm inclined to think that it is true. On my own page I haven't made any transfers and it comes up as zero.

It isn't the greatest thing in the world. I know now that I'll have a 12 point advantage over him before I even start next week. And that he will probably have dropped Ba, Suarez, Kuyt and another player. It makes my week easier but I really shouldn't know these things. It was never like this before, was it?

This has always been the case. You can see how many transfers another team has made ahead of the next GW but you have to wait until the transfer window closes to see what those transfers were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

It has definitely put me under some pressure now. I have a good few players I'm dying to get rid of. Really don't want to take a points hit though. In the past they have almost never worked out for me.

The thing with points hit is : how to look at them? If you only consider the GW you're taking the hit, it rarely works unless you've tons of injuries/bans/long suspensions... But if you consider a longer period (4-5 or even more GWs) it could well pay out. You could also be tight on cash and be "forced" to gamble on a point hit to save your "freedom of choices" transfer wise.
    Then you just need to get your choices right. If I take my personal example, I ruined my season GW 7 with a 8 pts hit: Nani-Tiote-Dyer in Sessegnon-Sinclair-Eagles out. I thought it would work on the long run and I needed to get rid of my dead wood I thought I had given them enough chances. Well, it turned out the guys I shipped out started to overperform and the ones I took in underperform. It took me a month to recover (as I didn't want to take other points hit) and I lost around 80 pts in the process... Getting the timing of your transfer right is the most important thing in FF. it's also the toughest...

I treat points hits the same as any other transfer, by using the most ridiculously obvious rule there is... It's only worth it if the person you bring in is better than the person you ship out. It's the only way to look at it, IMO.

The only difference is that you've brought in 2 or 3 transfers instead of one... so you're hoping for more than one to live up to that rule, lengthening the odds of it happening.

If there's a better player out there, go for it. 4 points is nothing.

If you then go on to lose your league by 3 points, it's not because you took a 4 point hit... it's because you made the wrong choice of player when taking that 4 point hit.

iroced wrote: »
    The thing with points hit is : how to look at them? If you only consider the GW you're taking the hit, it rarely works unless you've tons of injuries/bans/long suspensions... But if you consider a longer period (4-5 or even more GWs) it could well pay out. You could also be tight on cash and be "forced" to gamble on a point hit to save your "freedom of choices" transfer wise.
    Then you just need to get your choices right. If I take my personal example, I ruined my season GW 7 with a 8 pts hit: Nani-Tiote-Dyer in Sessegnon-Sinclair-Eagles out. I thought it would work on the long run and I needed to get rid of my dead wood I thought I had given them enough chances. Well, it turned out the guys I shipped out started to overperform and the ones I took in underperform. It took me a month to recover (as I didn't want to take other points hit) and I lost around 80 pts in the process... Getting the timing of your transfer right is the most important thing in FF. it's also the toughest...

I see what you're saying. In previous years I've gone chasing the leaders and it has resulted in me taking hits left right and centre to try and get in players who then do absolutely nothing for me.

I haven't taken a single hit this season. It's no coincidence that it's also my best season in my 3 years playing. I've missed out on a lot of extra cash as a result and if it wasn't for GW 15 and 22 then I'd have almost no money at all.

I said at the start of the season that I was not going to take a hit and I've stuck to it. I'm willing to break that though come the last few weeks. If I've 10 points to make up and I can get them through an extra transfer then I'll do it.

I won't take a hit this week I don't think. I'm going to do Silva to Young. Should have done it last week with my WC but you live and learn.

Might also ship Suarez out depending on how he does tonight. If he gets a goal then he stays for another week. If not then I'll seriously consider either Yak or Pog for him. Dunno if either would be worth the hit, although I see Yakubu may rise in price tonight.

My indecisions over all these transfers makes me glad that I'm not managing in the PL. I'd be a disaster I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

52 so far which is ok. Hopefully for FF reasons and my own that Enrique at least gets a no goals against...plus if he can have an assist or 2 plus a goal it'd help!

I see I've got into top 400 in Ireland, and was checking out top teams in the whole game. 2 of the top 3 are Irish! I'm back at nearly 3000th!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

NO ADAM FOR LIVERPOOL

token56 wrote: »
    Getting very close at the top of the boards league. Not doing well myself this season but its great to see the quality of the boards league is as high as ever, top 50 all inside the top 10000 overall. Very good going.

I almost had a heart attack when I saw there were 0 points between me and Ade. Forgot I had 15 points coming off the bench. All is well. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Going onto tonight I am now just 6 points behind the leader of my work league after being 150 pts behind at one stage, I have Suarez with my captain Vpersie having played last night, the guy ahead of me bizarrely has enrique as captain. I think I have him caught for sure, because he doesnt have Rooney or Vpersie. My team is now worth 111.0 and I have 0.3m in the bank, its a great team if I do say so myself

rsz_best.jpg

Going onto tonight I am now just 6 points behind the leader of my work league after being 150 pts behind at one stage, I have Suarez with my captain Vpersie having played last night, the guy ahead of me bizarrely has enrique as captain. I think I have him caught for sure, because he doesnt have Rooney or Vpersie. My team is now worth 111.0 and I have 0.3m in the bank, its a great team if I do say so myself

Not at all criticising the team, just an observation; I call these teams "generic Boards teams". I have 9 of your starting 11, and one on the bench. I bet at least a dozen others reading this can say similar.

carlcon wrote: »
    Not at all criticising the team, just an observation; I call these teams "generic Boards teams". I have 9 of your starting 11, and one on the bench. I bet at least a dozen others reading this can say similar.

all I care about is my work league

what would you guys choose between Shawcross or an everton defender of a similar price?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

what would you guys choose between Shawcross or an everton defender of a similar price?

I'd probably go with the Everton player, they're looking good in defense recently, and are always strong finishers to the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Going to keep an eye on United's Europa League game with a view to getting a United mid in for Silva

Sick of his 2 points every week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Going to keep an eye on United's Europa League game with a view to getting a United mid in for Silva

I think I've decided I'm going to stick with him. Have a feeling he'll come good again. I think City will end their sticky patch with a win over Chelsea in a weeks time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

DazzlerIE wrote: »

People seem to think Silva does nothing.

In his last 8 games he's got 40 points total (which includes a 9, two 8's, a 6, and a 5)

In all games where he played over 60 mins (24) only 4 have been 2 pointers.

He's a great player.

PopTarts wrote: »
    People seem to think Silva does nothing.

In his last 8 games he's got 40 points total (which includes a 9, two 8's, a 6, and a 5)

In all games where he played over 60 mins (24) only 4 have been 2 pointers.

He's a great player.

The frustration that I have with him is more that he hasn't done anything in the last 6 games bar get one assist.

At home City are brilliant. They win every game 2/3-0. Away from home it's another story. You have to go back to the 5th of November for the last time that they scored more than one goal away from home. In the 8 games since then they have scored 4 goals. That's absolutely awful for a team of their talent. They have a few tricky away games coming up as well.

In their last 14 games, since 10th of December, United have averaged 2.67 goals a game. That includes scoring 5 goals at Fulham, and 3 each at Chelsea and Spurs.

With Rooney in the form that he is, Ashley Young coming back into it, and City and United's respective scoring form I think it people are right to think that there might be better value for their money than Silva at this moment in time.

This is why you need a cheap back 7. That way, instead of choosing between Silva and a United midfielder, you just have both.

Very few members here won't have enough for Rooney, RVP, and 4 top midfielders, as long as the rest of their money is invested well. With Bale and Dempsey being the 2 other "obvious" choices, you should also have enough for Silva and Young/Nani/anybody else around 9-10m too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Valencia has travelled with the united squad today . Might be time to get him back in

Just looking at the lad who is coming second overall. He still has Walters in his team, and his sub keeper (who seems to be played a lot) is the infamous John Ruddy.

I find it amazing that he's doing so well with them two on his team. Surely he'd have dropped a few places by now. Fair play to him, he's going steady in the top 10 for the last 11 GWs.

Just looking at the lad who is coming second overall. He still has Walters in his team, and his sub keeper (who seems to be played a lot) is the infamous John Ruddy.

I find it amazing that he's doing so well with them two on his team. Surely he'd have dropped a few places by now. Fair play to him, he's going steady in the top 10 for the last 11 GWs.

I've stopped looking at the very top, because every time I do I can't help but feel this game is just one big roll of a dice. At one point, 3 of the top 5 teams had Joey Barton (at a time when he hadn't scored anything), amongst some other strange ones.

Saying that, this comment just made me look. 1st has Drogba instead of Rooney. I don't think Drogba has been mentioned once on here in months, yet in the last 3 games, he's scored 11, 2, and 9. Goes to show how narrow-minded we can get in here when we don't open up to outside possibilities. I think I might go back to keeping an eye on them. I'm exactly 100 points off the top!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I've stopped looking at the very top, because every time I do I can't help but feel this game is just one big roll of a dice.

*but, for the most part, it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

FutureGuy wrote: »

More like 38 spins of the dice! Lot of luck in the game, don't think I've seen many that consistently finish in top 5,000.

Im definitely at the highest I've been all season, up to 844th in the world and joint 6th in boards. Only aim now is to stay inside the top 1,000 for the rest of the season.

Anyone else still in the cup? We're down to the last 1,024, but I can't see myself going a huge amount further. The idea struck me that there's probably a few people that have entered teams in purely to play the cup, and can field a new 11 each week. Can't really compete with that.

I've stopped looking at the very top, because every time I do I can't help but feel this game is just one big roll of a dice. At one point, 3 of the top 5 teams had Joey Barton (at a time when he hadn't scored anything), amongst some other strange ones.

Saying that, this comment just made me look. 1st has Drogba instead of Rooney. I don't think Drogba has been mentioned once on here in months, yet in the last 3 games, he's scored 11, 2, and 9. Goes to show how narrow-minded we can get in here when we don't open up to outside possibilities. I think I might go back to keeping an eye on them. I'm exactly 100 points off the top!

The way I see it is that one HUGE week (a 95 when everyone else gets 40/50) is the one that gets you well on your way to being in the top 100.

I've looked at his scores and for the last 9 weeks his average score has been 63.111. My average score has been 62.2222. Now I've gone from 48,000 overall in to 5,000. On the other hand he is already up there so that can keep him close to the top.

There is only a 9 point difference between our scores for the last 9 weeks. If I was in his position then I'd be doing the exact same as him. Third place is a good bit back.

For the score that got him into the top 100, he had RVP as captain. I had Mata. I wasn't on the RVP bandwagon at that stage and it really hurt me.

For that guy anyway the difference I see between him and me is that he probably got on the RVP and Ba bandwagon early. He was also quite lucky with his captain picks. That's where the luck comes into it I think. Luck, and the gambling initiative to pick RVP when no one else has him.

Having said all that I'm still 168 points behind him. I may have matched him recently but I doubt I'd have been able to get to where he is.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »

I think it is for those who go for high weekly scores. Getting 100+ in a week is almost entirely luck-driven. But those who play consistently, averaging 60+ over a whole season must be doing something right, beyond getting lucky.

Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement