Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The key to FPL is to consistently beat the average of every gameweek by 10+ points. If you can manage that, you will not be far off winning this game outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I think getting top 5,000 is skill, anything higher than that is luck. Captain choice over the space of the year is a massive factor in your end position.

Would be a good idea to take a screenshot of the finishing top 50 in the boards league this year to see how people perform next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Around this time last year I reached an all time high of 43rd......globally! Was top of Boards for a bit and a good few others. Would have won the cash league had I entered. Of course this season was a big drop off in form. Not accessing the site before a few GWs early in the season got me off to a very poor start. Will give it a good bash next year.

Out of interest, is there any way I can check out my performance last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

roryc wrote: »
    More like 38 spins of the dice! Lot of luck in the game, don't think I've seen many that consistently finish in top 5,000.

Im definitely at the highest I've been all season, up to 844th in the world and joint 6th in Ireland. Only aim now is to stay inside the top 1,000 for the rest of the season.

Anyone else still in the cup? We're down to the last 1,024, but I can't see myself going a huge amount further. The idea struck me that there's probably a few people that have entered teams in purely to play the cup, and can field a new 11 each week. Can't really compete with that.

Don't mean to be picky or anything but the bit in bold cannot be true, there is no way you are 6th in Ireland if you are only 844th in the world, I know a guy who is top 50 in the world but is just inside the top 10 in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

I'm 80 in the world and 16 in Ireland, so it can't be true

• Advertisement

Weetabix wrote: »
    Don't mean to be picky or anything but the bit in bold cannot be true, there is no way you are 6th in Ireland if you are only 844th in the world, I know a guy who is top 50 in the world but is just inside the top 10 in Ireland.

Oops, just saw that myself and edited! Joint 6th in boards :)

113th in Ireland! The guy winning the Irish league is 2nd in the world which ain't too bad. My brothers mate got 3rd two years ago and I think he said all the top 3 were Irish.

Dempsey wrote: »
    The key to FPL is to consistently beat the average of every gameweek by 10+ points. If you can manage that, you will not be far off winning this game outright.

this is spot on

I've only came in below 50 points in a gameweek five times this season, and I've been in the top 1000 since gameweek 16

As long as I finish ten points above average, I consider a gameweek a success

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    this is spot on

I've only came in below 50 points in a gameweek five times this season, and I've been in the top 1000 since gameweek 16

As long as I finish ten points above average, I consider a gameweek a success

To an extent... I think I've only dipped below 50 5 times too but I'm a bit behind you, captain choice over the course of the season makes a big difference I think. How have you done on this?

Also, your in 80th? Here's some hope for ya, the guy who was in 80th last week has jumped to 6th, brought in Gerrard and captained him to help him to 108 points, unbelievable...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Was just looking at possible transfers for next week, and just noticed another indication as to how sh1t the bonus point system is......Rosicky hasn't gotten a single bonus point yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I think removing the captain thing and counting the points of your 15 man squad could take out a little bit the "luck factor". It would certainly reward the more balanced teams. So many "early" players are still getting decent scores from Rooney captain for example.
    I'll be really interested if they were proposing this ranking. Just to compare it with the current one. What differences it could make.

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »
    To an extent... I think I've only dipped below 50 5 times too but I'm a bit behind you, captain choice over the course of the season makes a big difference I think. How have you done on this?

Also, your in 80th? Here's some hope for ya, the guy who was in 80th last week has jumped to 6th, brought in Gerrard and captained him to help him to 108 points, unbelievable...

Mixed bag, been on RVP for all his big weeks, but missed out on some doozies along the way

Didn't have Demps for his hat-trick, had my VP on Kompany two weeks ago when Aguero and Silva didn't play (Demps and RVP had monsters), went for RVP this week

Slightly better captaining and I'd be top ten, it's so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

One thing I don't like about the BP is that for the most part it just rewards players, and hence teams, that have just scored well anyway. As such the points for goals/assists aren't real, since 99% of the time bonus are added. It's a flawed system. But since fpl has a 'deal' with EA sports, sadly I don't see this changing any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Dempsey wrote: »

Any idea what the average score for the whole season is? Some weeks I beat it by 30, others I'm behind by 10.

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Mixed bag, been on RVP for all his big weeks, but missed out on some doozies along the way

Didn't have Demps for his hat-trick, had my VP on Kompany two weeks ago when Aguero and Silva didn't play (Demps and RVP had monsters), went for RVP this week

Slightly better captaining and I'd be top ten, it's so annoying

Yeh I'm the same, couldn't pick a captain to save my life after Christmas but have saved myself the last 3 weeks with Aguero, Dempsey and now Suarez. It ended a horrible run where for 5 out of 6 weeks my captaine scored 3 points or less.

Its extremely frustrating but the game wouldn't be the same without it! And the captain/vice-captain structure is vastly improved on last year... they just need to sort out the BP system now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

It's a week of trying to pick the right defence for me. United, Spurs, Fulham, and Newcastle all capable of CSs this week, but I'm only playing 3 in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

carlcon wrote: »
    It's a week of trying to pick the right defence for me. United, Spurs, Fulham, and Newcastle all capable of CSs this week, but I'm only playing 3 in defence.

I'm in the exact same predicament. I've gone with Senderos, Jevans & BAE to start with Williamson first sub. I'm very tempted to stick Williamson in my starting line up instead of McClean but don't think I'll ever stray from the trusty 3 at the back. Keep in mind that Norwich put 4 past Newcastle earlier in the season too.

Actually looking at the reverse fixtures from earlier in the season, all 4 of these teams conceded in the reverse fixture. Still think I'll stick with my original 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

carlcon wrote: »

Tough one this week alright. This is how I'd start to look at it:

Wolves v Man United
    Tottenham v Stoke
    Fulham v Swansea
    Newcastle v Norwich

Clean sheets

Man United 13
    Tottenham 10
    Fulham 9
    Newcastle 9

Failed to score

Norwich 6
    Wolves 8
    Stoke 10
    Swansea 11

Then on balance of the two lists you'd have to favour your Spurs player as the third. Up to yourself of course.

I've got Ledley King, Jonny Evans and a choice of Lescott against Chelsea or Simpson against Norwich. Just have a feeling Norwich will find the net against Newcastle and if Lescott plays he's more likely to nab attacking points. Anyway that's enough about me :D

See these are the kind of stats that matter. Excellently put. I can't say my reasoning is as well presented as that, but I came to the same conclusion. Simpson never really does much, anyway, so I'm happy to bench him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Any idea what the average score for the whole season is? Some weeks I beat it by 30, others I'm behind by 10.

No idea but that was my plan this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

ANALYSIS: Manchester United have easiest run-in of all Premier League clubs
    By Brian Sears
    15 March 2012
    Accepted football wisdom already has it that Manchester United have an easier run-in than their main Premier League title rivals Manchester City.
    But Sportingintelligence analysis of all the remaining fixtures for all 20 teams now shows not only is that true but that United have the easiest run-in in the whole division.
    Their run-in is rated slightly easier than the next three easiest run-ins, those of Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham in that order.
    Now is a perfect time to assess the situation, statistically, because all 20 teams have 10 games remaining, and all 20 teams have to play five times at home and five times away, so there is no significant home advantage skew to consider.
    In order to calculate an ‘easy rating’ for each team, we have considered the current league positions of every team that each club has yet to face – and added them up.
    The very easiest run-in that United (or any top-10 side) could theoretically face would be to play the 10 teams in the bottom 10 places. This would add up to a maximum easy rating of 155.
    In fact United’s easy rating is 128, or 83 per cent as easy as it could be.
    The higher the total points, the easier the run-in. The lower the total number of points, the harder the run-in.
    The only time that United will come up against another side currently inside the top seven is when they face City.
    At the other end of the scale, Mark Hughes’ task is put in perspective with QPR’s toughest run-in of all clubs, a run-in rating of just 68.
    All of QPR’s final 10 opponents stand within the current top 14 places, and include all the current top five, and seven of the top eight.
    Our chart below also indicates that Wolves will have their home form sorely tested, with visits of three of the top four still to come.
    On our easy ratings, Arsenal have the easiest away fixtures left, with no visit to a club higher than Everton, currently ninth.
    On this basis, one might reasonably expect – all other things being equal – that United will remain ahead of City in the title race, and that Arsenal with a very slightly easier run-in than Tottenham will push them hard for third.
    And at the bottom, the current bottom three all have tougher run-ins than the two sides just above and most in danger of being sucked backed down into the mire (Blackburn and Bolton).

Easy-run-ins-PL-11-12.jpg

Thought some might find it interesting that are planning to get in a player or two, or those that have yet to use their wildcard.

• Advertisement

I took this general philosophy into account when using my wildcard last week, and now have 2 United (possibly three before this weekend), 2 Arsenal and 2 Liverpool players. I didn't have this graph to look at but figured it was wise to stock up on players from these teams as they have such obviosuly favourable runs.

I might regret getting rid of all my Spurs players though, obviosuly didn't look that closely at their fixtures. Here's hoping the bad run continues for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

bale or walcott for the run in lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

darego wrote: »

i wouldnt touch Walcott. thats just me though. i know a lot like him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I'm just trying to plan ahead as to when to use my wildcard. It looks like Spurs and Bolton have a blank gameweek in GW34. Does anyone know when this will be rescheduled for (or even why it's been cancelled)?

Also, is anyone else looking at Odemwingie? He has some cracking fixtures for the rest of the season and was in great form before the Chelsea and United games. Actually, I'm just after reading he's probably out of the Wigan match at the weekend. Dammit. Might hold on to Suarez for this week and keep my free transfer for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm just trying to plan ahead as to when to use my wildcard. It looks like Spurs and Bolton have a blank gameweek in GW34. Does anyone know when this will be rescheduled for (or even why it's been cancelled)?

That weekend clashes with the FA Cup semi-finals. Since Spurs play Bolton in the quarter-final this weekend one of them will obviously make the semi so their league fixture had to be moved.

No idea when it will be moved to but going by this seasons pattern it's likely to be moved to the following mid-week and remain in the same fantasy GW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Noticing Ba is absent from alot of teams now going into this GW. Up against leaky enough Norwich side, Ive a sneaky feeling his transfers might be on the rise again after the weekend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭PelicanLegend

darego wrote: »
    I read this about Walcott on fantasypremierleague transfers

[Theo Walcott
    The peculiar thing about Robin Van Persie’s incredible form this season is that he doesn’t appear to have an accepted partner in crime. In previous season’s you knew that if Torres was on a hot run of form you’d be wise to pick up Gerrard or if Drogba was banging them in then Frank Lampard was probably getting in on the action too. It seems our Robin doesn’t have a sidekick. 37% of Fantasy Football Players have the high scoring Gunner in their side yet the next most popular Arsenal player is Aaron Ramsey on 5.6% with Walcott third with just 5.1% so it seems Arsenals assists are an untapped resource. This is despite Walcott having 10 assists and 5 goals to his name this season making him the 5th Top Scoring midfielder. He created both Arsenals goals Monday night and was unlucky not to receive any bonus points. With a price of 8.9 the young Englishman is at the lower end of the expensive midfielder market and he’s certainly a differential at the moment. With Silva, Nani, Adam and Kuyt, Bale and Van der Vaart all hit and miss at the minute Theo is certainly worth consideration

Lescott didn't even make the bench last night, I'm wary of whether he'll start against City, although he has until Wednesday to recover.

Not many obvious replacements, would probably need to double up on defenders either way. Jones is not a guaranteed starter, Ferdinand isn't really worth 6.4m. I'm thinking Skrtel might be a good shout, Liverpool have the second strongest defence in the league.

Could always swap in Richards, but seems like I could waste a transfer if Lescott ends up playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

keeping an eye on walcott and rosicky. a decent performance against everton and i'll get one in.

• Advertisement

Not sure how I feel about this week.

Firstly, the broken match days will suck. I like getting my results in 2 days, not over 5 days!

Secondly, a lot of people seem to be getting Young in now. I got him immediately after his first full game back fit, and benefited nicely, but I'm not taking the "he played mid-week so will probably play this weekend" story most people are telling as well as others.

My suspicion is that neither Nani nor Valencia were that far from fitness, and may now play on Sunday.

From now until the end of the season, I strongly expect Young to play every game, but with the final Europa Cup game last night, I'm afraid Fergie will be looking to get some match fitness into his injured players to have himself as close to a fresh team as possible. With Wolves... I don't think anyone would be that surprised if Fergie doesn't go for a full strength XI.

And thirdly, I'm very happy to see everyone starting to drop Silva. I could not be more certain (as certain as can be in FF terms, anyway) that dropping him will bite you all in the ass.

His last 3 games: 5, 6, 2.
    His previous 5 games: 9, 6, 8, 2, 3.

Seriously???

Hat-tricks from Dempsey and Gerrard, and then flashy performances from Walcott and Young have spoiled you guys... it seems expectations have sky-rocketed and a consistent average of 5/6 points a game isn't good enough any more. I'm not buying it. He'll never be a good captain, but even in an under-performing City team, he's consistent. We all know what they, and he, can still do to almost any team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement