Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Hate - Unfiltered Americanisms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I like using the word 'horse' in this context.
    Horse us one of them, would ya?
    Horse us over a bagel please.

If you're in parts of the Southeast it's "Give me a bagel there horse!"
    (Horse is a term of endearment.)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

syklops wrote: »
    I dont use fairy cake mix. I use:

1lb of flour
    1lb of sugar
    1lb of butter
    4 eggs.

And I said fairy cake papers because i dont know the name for them. At home we called them queen cake papers.

That's poundcake.

Measuring things in 'cups' when nobody on this side of the Atlantic uses those measures and is likely to use a tea-cup instead of a measuring cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Not an americanism per se but it annoys me when people generally think, 'well, if it happens in America then it's ok'.

Case in point, England filming the grand slam winners video / printing the t-shirts etc. before losing to Ireland in their final game last season....

Everyone was on the FB pages set-up (to slag England) generally commenting along the lines of "ha-ha SAPS". But there were a good few other comments along the lines of "so what, teams in America (super-bowl or whatever) do this all the time. It's a marketing thing".

Well guess what sunshine, I don't give a damn what "they (marketing companies and Nike and the like) do" over in America - this is Ireland and perhaps marketeers should pay more respect to the history of a tournament like the six nations and it's competing teams.

And when you see some of the leaked e-mails that went along with that video from Nike which had things like "when England win", you know they have little respect or knowledge for what it is they are involved in. :mad:

So excuse me if you will, if I stop pandering to the nice marketing people and go and laugh at England :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Drum o'gash.

After all the Americanisms, I'm back in Kerry with a bump.

• Advertisement

"Can I use the bathroom / washroom?"

It's THE TOILET!

Unless, you're having a bath/shower.

We are not as hung up about toilets as the USA and Canada, so please let's stick to the word toilet. It's a good sensible word for the place you deposit your bodily waste products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Children are the worst as they have been reared by Walt Disney in a lot of cases.
    People my own age have no excuse except their own stupidity.
    Douchebag would be a good insult if Irish women used them . I prefer to use gowl or wankstain.

Yeah, I remember a US friend of mine spending the first week in France laughing about the use of the word 'douche' meaning shower in French.

He was unable to explain why it was so rude in the US. The French looked it up and now just think American women are very strange.

Solair wrote: »
    "Can I use the bathroom / washroom?"

It's THE TOILET!

Except it's not. What if I just need to wash my hands? Or some chick who wants to fix her makeup? We're asking to use the room, not just the toilet... and you don't have a term for the room itself, so restroom/bathroom works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

"awesome"

.....fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

df1985 wrote: »
    "awesome"

.....fcuk off.

+1 Awesome is the most irritating word in the world.

Well, if you ask to go to the bathroom in some 1950s Irish houses there isn't a toilet in it. So, you could be rather confused.

Toilet actually comes from toilette which is the act of dressing/grooming/doing one's make up/etc/cleaning one's self in French.
    In medicine toilet = cleaning something e.g. Aural toilet = washing out your ear.

It actually comes from a word for a little linen facecloth cloth in French.

Toile (toilette)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

ihsb wrote: »
    +1 Awesome is the most irritating word in the world.

True, unless something genuinely invokes awe. The view from Mount Everest is awesome. A McFlurry is not awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Bah, some Americanisms are feckin grand. My favourite one is 'hot mess'. Probably one of the greatest pieces of slang I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Lived in the US for 18 years. Use Americanisms every day. Have been home for 10 months now, but I still say gas (petrol), hood (bonnet), pocket book (purse), awesome (fookin' deadly), sidewalk, (path), rode hard and put up wet (figure that one out for yourselves ye lazy ba$tards), check (bill) etc etc. Anyone who has a problem with how I speak can go and fcuk themselves.

( After I blashst them with piss. This is After Hours after all ! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

A McFlurry is not awesome

Have you ever even had a McFlurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Have you ever even had a McFlurry?

Yes. I was overwhelmingly underwhelmed. They're very sickly. Give me a Maxi-Twist any day

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would you not also say that baseball was taken from a different sport i.e cricket ?

Rounders, you feckin' West Brit! :D

Yes. I was overwhelmingly underwhelmed. They're very sickly. Give me a Maxi-Twist any day
    Ah, well we can agree on that! Maxi-twists are super-awesome! (imho)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

cofy wrote: »
    The term 24/7.

24/7/365 :mad::mad::mad: It's not even a logical progression
    24/7/52 would be logical, but WHY when there's real words to use

around-the-clock, ceaseless, continual, continuous, endless, eternal, everlasting, incessant, interminable, nonstop, ongoing, perpetual, persistent, relentless, round-the-clock, timeless, unceasing, unending, unfailing, uninterrupted, unremitting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Dates starting with the month then the day then the year.
    March 1st 2012 - OK, this is alright, illogical but understandable
    mar 1 2012 - Illogical and starting to slide
    3-1-12 - Illogical and open to error Third of January or First of March?

It should rise (or fall) in proportionate scaled progression.
    It's like saying Bigger, Big, Biggest or Pounds, Pence and Shillings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Speaking of dates, one American trend, which thankfully doesn't seem to have spread here, is the way they say dates at the end of tv ads for films.
    It was mildly annoying when they'd just say " out January fifth," leaving out the "the" (and if I were being pedantic, putting the words in the wrong order) as that's how most Americans say it.

But then I noticed that they started saying "out January five!" Oh my. Perhaps they're worried that people won't know what "fifth" means, or that the extra letter it has over "five" would be too much hard work to say.

But it got worse: "Out Jan five!" Oh dear, oh dear.
    Is January really that hard to say? Really!? "Jan!!??"

I know it hasn't seeped into usage here, but the principle behind it is that of over-simplification, the principle behind most Americanisms, and something that's definitely influencing the way people speak here in a general sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i hate how americans call an arse a "fanny"... a fanny is a vagina not an arse....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I'm beginning to notice the word "diaper" creeping in. It's called a nappy ffs. Anyone else noticing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Douchebag....whatever happened to just calling someone a gobshyte?!

Douche Lord!!!!!

Love that one.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

americans call jam - jelly and jelly is called jello

I'd love some grape J in my PB&J.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I can't stand "Awesome". It's just so wrong coming out of the mouth of an Irish person and a load of people say it. Sick.

americans call jam - jelly and jelly is called jello

Actually, we use both jam and jelly.. they're different. Jam is made with fruit pulp, jelly is made with fruit juice, and preserves are made with fruit chunks.

And Jello is gelatin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

i hate how americans call an arse a "fanny"... a fanny is a vagina not an arse....

lolololol:D

Advertisement