Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Hate - Unfiltered Americanisms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Seachmall wrote: »
    Defo, hate shortened words. Not abbreviations but "slangy abbreviations".

Same diff I guess, but annoying none-the-less.

Like "defo" and "diff" perhaps? ;)

My pet hates are the manufactured words that have perfectly good words already. I see these being adopted in print and even heard an example on Tonight with Vincent Browne. For example:

euthanized - what's wrong with euthanased (or even euthanazed)? Nobody, not even Americans, refer to it as euthanisia!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm like so drinking coffee right now

I've already finished mine already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Tbh if we all lived in small villages with sheep dotted around us and you were hearing Americanisms left right and centre then that would be annoying, but an awful lot of people now a days, or at least in my sector work with a lot of Americans, many in American companies so its bound to leak over. My boss (American, never been to Ireland) now uses feck when he doesnt want to use the alternative in the office now. Thats thanks to me using it I suppose so its not just a one way street.

I am sure there is more than one 'Americanism' that was an 'Irish-ism' first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

"mom", fuck off you numpty, this is Ireland. Same goes for "prom", it's a fucking debs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Adding gate onto every scandal

I'm reading about toner-gate and printer cartridges this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kfallon wrote: »
    Heard somebody call someone a 'jerk' the other day :rolleyes:

Get it right, it's not 'jerk' it's 'wanker' ffs!

Where I come from its 'langer'.

TheZohan wrote: »
    "mom", fuck off you numpty, this is Ireland. Same goes for "prom", it's a fucking debs.

I like Scottishisms as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I like Scottishisms as well.

Get tae fuck me too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Cupcakes F Off to America if you want cupcakes they are BUNS, Fairy cakes or Queen Cakes ... shove your cupcake up your jocksy

• Advertisement

Get tae fuck me too :cool:

Stitch that Jimmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

lucylu wrote: »
    Cupcakes F Off to America if you want cupcakes they are BUNS, Fairy cakes or Queen Cakes ... shove your cupcake up your jocksy

WTF is a Queen Cake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Americanisms can be annoying. However, I find Irish people complaining about Americanisms while advocating "Irish slang" (which actually turns out to be British slang) more irritating.

smash wrote: »
    WTF is a Queen Cake?

a bun, fairy cake or a queen cake are all the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Where I come from its 'langer'.

You can keep that term to where you come from ;)

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It's 'Telly' not 'TV'

You can't come and complain about the phrase cupcake (which is correct) and then say "queen cake"... Sounds like something you made up. I've never heard it in my life.

And also, this is a bun!

WTF is a Queen Cake?

1lb of flour
    1lb of sugar
    1lb of butter
    4 eggs

Mix ingredients in food processor, spoon mixture into fairy cake papers, put in pre-heated oven for about an hour at 250C. Then eat(possible all in one sitting)

You can't come and complain about the phrase cupcake (which is correct) and then say "queen cake"... Sounds like something you made up. I've never heard it in my life.

Thats what we call them at home too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Ooo this is a favourite gripe of mine too :cool: Where do I start?

"Can I get a" - usually said in Coffee Shops. You don't say Can I get a when you ask for something anywhere else. You're also not on the cast of Friends.

Vacation instead of holiday

Holiday season instead of Christmas

You do the Math. :confused:

Ending a sentence with either "right now" or "already". Your sentence should have been succinct enough to have established a time frame.

Needless use of "so" and "like" in a sentence.

I'm sure I'll think of more :cool:

Agree with all of these. "Can I get" is definitely the most annoying. Also (though this may not necessarily be an "Americanism" as such) but when people say, "that's so funny" instead of just laughing because it's funny.

• Advertisement

Another: "Loving the x,y,z" posts on fb etc. What's wrong with, "I love this picture". Why does it have to be "loving this picture"? Urgh.... It does NOT make you sound cool...

And also, this is a bun!

go on hop on the nearest plane off to AmeriK with you and your Cupcake...

syklops wrote: »
    Thats what we call them at home too.

So you make queen cakes in fairy cake papers, with fairy cake mix? :confused:

From Wikipedia:
    Fairy cakes may refer to:
    Cupcakes (British English), a smaller version of a cupcake

and it appears queen cakes aren't cupcakes: http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipebook/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=843&Itemid=28

Also worth noting that they're English! :P

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Agree with all of these. "Can I get" is definitely the most annoying. Also (though this may not necessarily be an "Americanism" as such) but when people say, "that's so funny" instead of just laughing because it's funny.

"Can I get a pint of Guinness please?"

Whats wrong with that? :confused:

syklops wrote: »
    1lb of flour
    1lb of sugar
    1lb of butter
    4 eggs

Mix ingredients in food processor, spoon mixture into fairy cake papers, put in pre-heated oven for about an hour at 250C. Then eat(possible all in one sitting)

sounds about right ;)

Do the math already

There's another - it's maths

So you make queen cakes in fairy cake papers, with fairy cake mix? :confused:

I dont use fairy cake mix. I use:

1lb of flour
    1lb of sugar
    1lb of butter
    4 eggs.

And I said fairy cake papers because i dont know the name for them. At home we called them queen cake papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I've never heard the term "Queen Cakes" either. I prefer cupcakes.

Wheres the restrooms?

Have a nice day

People in work saying, "thanks for coming in today" (ok sorry I know its not strictly on topic but had to vent) :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Happy holidays

Advertisement