Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Hate - Unfiltered Americanisms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I hate a lot of the phrases mentioned already. Not because they came from America or wherever but because they sound stupid! 'My bad' for example. That's just stupid no matter where it originated from

Tru dat.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    "Can I get a bagel". Please stop saying "Can I get", as a poster said previously, this is not "Friends".

"Could I have?". What's wrong with that?

Can I get a breakfast roll, no hash browns? Can I get a chicken baguette? Can I get a pint there Michael when you're ready?

Sounds like something out of Friends all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

"I got stuck in the elevator!"

Not sure how that was possible as we only have a lift!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

"Can I get a bagel". Please stop saying "Can I get", as a poster said previously, this is not "Friends".

"Could I have?". What's wrong with that?

If you're going to be pedantic it should be "may I have".

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

A lot of the stuff in this thread seems fine to me. Except perhaps 'so like.... Like ... Like...'
    The rest was picked up. We see plenty of American tv and read books by American authors so of course some lingo rubbed off!

For all we know they picked up 'top I the mornin to ye' :p

Jus' sayin'
    (now that phrase grates on the nerves a bit for some reason '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

TheZohan wrote: »
    If you're going to be pedantic it should be "may I have".
    Or bring your own lunch - there's a recession ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

kfallon wrote: »
    Heard somebody call someone a 'jerk' the other day :rolleyes:

Get it right, it's not 'jerk' it's 'wanker' ffs!

Please tell me this was intentional.

Wanker is from England so it's just as bad to use that as jerk is.

kraggy wrote: »
    Please tell me this was intentional.

Wanker is from England so it's just as bad to use that as jerk is.

So we have to use amadán from now on based on the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I would say most people believe the laws of the land are those they hear argued in American TV courts.

My (now ex) wife, when we were on the verge of splitting up, having watched to many episodes of Melrose Place and Ally McBeal announced that she was going to ask her lawyer to "attach your future earnings".

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

TheZohan wrote: »
    "mom", fuck off you numpty, this is Ireland. Same goes for "prom", it's a fucking debs.

In Donegal it was never debs, always was the prom.

Yeah about mom / mommy, I hear my nieces say it and it goes through me.

Hearing an Irish person say 'awesome' is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The worst is hearing someone say "My tax dollars" on the Irish economy forum.

• Advertisement

Conway635 wrote: »
    My (now ex) wife, when we were on the verge of splitting up, having watched to many episodes of Melrose Place and Ally McBeal announced that she was going to ask her lawyer solicitor to "attach your future earnings".

C635

FYP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Yeah, damn Americanisms.

Now let's start a thread about Irish/Hiberno-English words that have spread internationally and clap ourselves on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

Thought of another one, apartement instead of flat....aaaaaggghhhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Another: "Loving the x,y,z" posts on fb etc. What's wrong with, "I love this picture". Why does it have to be "loving this picture"? Urgh.... It does NOT make you sound cool...

It's grammatically incorrect to boot, with "to love" being a state verb, thus not existing in an "-ing" form.

Quite apart from particular words and phrases; one thing I really hate is a high rising terminal? When someone's voice goes up at the end of a sentence, regardless of whether it's a statement or question?
    I know some Australians do it, but it seems to be more common in some American, mostly west-coast accents? It just makes the speaker sound more stupid? Like they constantly have to ask questions as though they exist in a permanent state of confusion? But the worst thing, which I've noticed it a lot on Boards, is people actually typing a question mark at the end of a statement, especially if it's one that expresses some level of confusion? Exactly like this?
    It really annoys me?

Also, I'm not sure if the following is derived from American English, but I think it might be:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I COULD CARE LESS.

So what you're saying is that you actually do care, and it would be possible for you to care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

who cares? people use different isms from different places, Irish ones are just as bad, seeing Irish people use "taytos" as a all encompassing term for crisps or chips while abroad is cringey,just change it depending on which country you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

I hate when people tell me they have (or haven't) "caught (any particular) movie" yet. What's wrong with just going to see a 'fillum'............?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Tipperary are the winningest team in hurling

I love that word :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

breedie wrote: »
    I hate when people tell me they have (or haven't) "caught (any particular) movie" yet. What's wrong with just going to see a 'fillum'............?

another irishism i hate, "de fillums" or "de picshurs"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Can I get a breakfast roll, no hash browns? Can I get a chicken baguette? Can I get a pint there Michael when you're ready?

Sounds like something out of Friends all right.

Exactly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying 'can I get' something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"Why are you hating on me?"

"Because you use inappropriate modern American slang that sounds stupid."

There's two things wrong here.

First, like "to love," "to hate" is a state verb so strictly, it can't take an "-ing" form.

Second, why the "on?" What does it add? Does it make the sentence sound better? No.
    Does it change the meaning? No.
    Don't put it in there then.

How is "I'm hating on Mondays" an improvement on "I hate Mondays?"

It's just slightly longer, which I find strange as most Americanisms are based upon the principle of shortening words and phrases.

With regard to "winningest," as mentioned above, I happily haven't heard any Irish people use that yet.
    I think the first time I heard it used was by Homer Simpson and assumed it was a made-up word to mean "most successful" to show he's stupid.
    Then I went to America and saw it used seriously in sports articles in the newspapers.

It reminds me of "phenom," short for "phenomenon." I first encountered it watching WWF, when Jim Ross would call The Undertaker "The Phenom." I though he was saying "The Thaenom," which I imagined was the name of some obscure demon.
    But again, sports reports in American newspapers taught me otherwise.
    The worst case of its use was in a tabloidy paper's article about young footballer Freddie Adu, with the headline "He's phenom-enal."
    I threw me. I though "They're going for a pun here...but don't they know "phenom" is short for "phenomenon?"...so it's not really a pun, they didn't need to add a hyphen...hang on, do they not...did they not...what the...ARRGGHH!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

I COULD CARE LESS.

So what you're saying is that you actually do care, and it would be possible for you to care less.
    Ha! Growing up if I said that I'd say 'i COULDN'T care less' and everyone would 'correct' me and say its COULD id be thinking 'you feckin eejit that's like saying... (what you said)'

I'm guilty of one Americanism that probably annoys people. I waver between saying 'did you check the post?' and 'did you check the mail box?' (outside box)

Think this thread needs an AH style chill pill (or pail.... Of beer) drunk up and relax lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

But I cannot stand the people who won't filter it for the Irish context.

and long may it continue to anger you...

Your brain let you down. Threads as pathetic and pointless as this are like way more annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Ooo this is a favourite gripe of mine too :cool: Where do I start?

"Can I get a" - usually said in Coffee Shops. You don't say Can I get a when you ask for something anywhere else. You're also not on the cast of Friends.

Vacation instead of holiday

Holiday season instead of Christmas

You do the Math. :confused:

Ending a sentence with either "right now" or "already". Your sentence should have been succinct enough to have established a time frame.

Needless use of "so" and "like" in a sentence.

I'm sure I'll think of more :cool:

I hate the "can I get a....."
    I also hate "make a right"
    and ain't, especially wen said by an Irish person

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

krudler wrote: »
    who cares? people use different isms from different places, Irish ones are just as bad, seeing Irish people use "taytos" as a all encompassing term for crisps or chips while abroad is cringey,just change it depending on which country you're in.

i remember that in London once, an Irish guy with me asked for a bag of tayto and a mineral. I had to do the translation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If winners of the National Football League are World Champions and the best baseball team in the land win the World Series does this mean Dublin and Kilkenny are World Champions too?
    No
    Well given that teams from London (UK) and NY (USA) compete in the GAA championships, I think they have more claim to the title than American baseball teams.

Intercontinental champs perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

so I'm just going to go right ahead and step up to the plate and throw this thread under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Conway635 wrote: »
    My (now ex) wife, when we were on the verge of splitting up, having watched to many episodes of Melrose Place and Ally McBeal announced that she was going to ask her lawyer to "attach your future earnings".

C635
    kfallon wrote: »
    FYP ;)

They dont use the word ''solicitor" in that case, in the US it's Attorney or lawyer

marnie d wrote: »
    In Donegal it was never debs, always was the prom.

Yeah about mom / mommy, I hear my nieces say it and it goes through me.

Hearing an Irish person say 'awesome' is horrible.

yeah and it Boxing day not St Stephens up there aswell;)

+1 on the "awesome" worked with a Monaghan lad who had spent 6 weeks in the US and would use it for the most mundane happenings.

''there's 15 people booked in for lunch''

"Awesome" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

"Can I get a bagel".

That's SO American. Should be "Can I get a hang sangwich".

Advertisement