Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Hate - Unfiltered Americanisms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I think the OP needs to find closure, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

smash wrote: »
    This really gets to me. It's gotten to the point now where those "first world problems" meme pictures and now associated with white people like this. :mad:

^
    That.

[edit] Like, totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Freedom of speech. Most people here seem to think it means you can say or do anything you want. They don't realise that freedom of speech isn't absolute and there are libel and slander laws and laws against hate speech or threatening language. "What do you mean I can't write lies about someone on the internet? And why can't I say that I'd like to kick someones head in? What about my freedom of speech? I know my rights".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Always thought 'Pet Hate' was an Americanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Always thought 'Pet Hate' was an Americanism.

Yeah, people who say "pet hate" really grind my gears already! :pac:

Could people using Americanisms be any more annoying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

"Did you see the new season of that TV show?".

I'm totally wrong though. Am I alone in thinking 'pet peeves' sounds more British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

kfallon wrote: »
    So we have to use amadán from now on based on the above?

That's not the point. You're implying that I'm saying that the term wanker shouldn't be used by us because it's from the English language. I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying that it should be afforded the same treatment as an Americanism as it is an "Englishism" i.e. it's origin is as a slang word/colloquialism in a different country. Not because it's from the English language in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Had a customer on the phone & I said to him that I'd talk to so and so and give them a "heads up" that he was going to call. The customer then started asking me if I had worked in America and why was I using Americanisms etc. I found it very rude and it really made him out to be a pedantic twat. I don't think it's the worst Americanism to be saying!

My sister CONSTANTLY does that up-high lilt at the end of everything she says - as if asking a question. I can't stand when Americans do it let alone her. She's nearly 40 and has never lived in the states :confused: I pointed it out to her once, in a nice way, and left it.

@Kraggy
    I call 'em Britishisms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Don't understand all the hate for 'can I get a...'. Perfectly normal-sounding to me.

I've heard a lot of people saying 'douche', and I think South Park has to answer for that one!

Can't say I'm that annoyed by anything mentioned on here so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

Someone in work asked if I would "do him a solid". Some confusion wherein it transpired he required a favour as opposed to my initial assumption that he wanted me to have a dump on his desk.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"Why are you hating on me?"

"Because you use inappropriate modern American slang that sounds stupid."

There's two things wrong here.

First, like "to love," "to hate" is a state verb so strictly, it can't take an "-ing" form.

Second, why the "on?" What does it add? Does it make the sentence sound better? No.
    Does it change the meaning? No.
    Don't put it in there then.

How is "I'm hating on Mondays" an improvement on "I hate Mondays?"

It's just slightly longer, which I find strange as most Americanisms are based upon the principle of shortening words and phrases.

"To hate on" someone is not the same as "to hate" someone. In fact, the prepositional verb "hate on", a synonym for verbal assault, can legitimately take a progressive tense.

It still sounds silly in an Irish accent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The use of the word fail as a noun is a real American thing, eg that's a fail

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"To hate on" someone is not the same as "to hate" someone. In fact, the prepositional verb "hate on", a synonym for verbal assault, can legitimately take a progressive tense.

It still sounds silly in an Irish accent though.

Ah, if it's used to mean "to verbally assault" I acknowledge it's different, but I agree, it still sounds strange from an Irish accent.

My problem with it is that an Irish friend of mine is always using it to mean "to hate" in a general sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Language evolves and Americanisms will, undoubtedly, enter other dialects of English because of huge exposure TO American media output.

There's nothing wrong with them but, there's also very little that you can do to prevent language changing. It's a communication tool, not always a cultural badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Wasn't 'dating' a real American thing? Now we all use it? Who gives a ****, really? Are you just trying to hold on to Irish pride or something? The world is becoming more and more globalised. We're on the internet all the time and are in more contact with Americans more than ever every day.

Personally, I make an effort to speak well but I don't get my panties in a twist cause someone said, awesome or something 'American.'

The anti-American brigade is cringe-worthy in this country. People seem to think it gives them some sort of highness or oneupmanship over something. Its just the way they talk and if you were a yank and heard that people in other countries are judging you over the use of your words, you'd think it's rather pathetic.

Imagine you hear a bunch of English or Welsh people being snobby because people were using Feck after watching Father Ted in their country. Who would you think is the idiot?

Although, the rich white men, thing is maybe excessive use over here, you get the idea, white people usually hold power and it's not really that crazy to use. It still makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Solair wrote: »
    Language evolves and Americanisms will, undoubtedly, enter other dialects of English because of huge exposure TO American media output.

There's nothing wrong with them but, there's also very little that you can do to prevent language changing. It's a communication tool, not always a cultural badge.

In fairness to the OP, this thread has gone off the original, very well defined, topic of unfiltered Americanisms.

A lot of people have ignored the unfiltered bit, and just ranted about Americanisms and Britishisms in general.

I agree that language evolves and that other cultures will impact on ours. It is both a good and bad thing. Finding the proper balance is important and that is what the filter is needed for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think when this tread is closed, whoever locks it should sign off with "peace out".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Funny how people get pissed off about Americanisms but nobody gets pissed off about "English Geezerisms"...go onto the soccer forum and you'll see nearly ever second word is "mate" or "bint" or worse reffering to an irish fan of Liverpool as a scouser or Man Utd fan as a manc :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Leisure pronounced as leeee-sure. :mad:

And the expression of 'dude'. :mad:

'Hell yeah' :mad:

'True that' :mad:

'Awesome' :mad::mad::mad:

**** of back to your enthusiastic masturbating over American pop culture (a culture with the specific function of selling you products :confused:) with your cultural cringe. I'm ****ing sick of people idealising American culture. I know a guy who used to venerate the ****ing place and it's pop culture. Never shut up about America and actually made an effort to speak with American expressions. :mad: So I punched him once. Felt a lot better. :) It wasn't so much the American idioms that annoyed me but the actual enthusiasm with which he actually made an effort to utilize as many of them as possible in his articulation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah, if it's used to mean "to verbally assault" I acknowledge it's different, but I agree, it still sounds strange from an Irish accent.

My problem with it is that an Irish friend of mine is always using it to mean "to hate" in a general sense.

You should beat up on him and not go visit with him at the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Sindri wrote: »

I like the sound of "leeee-sure suit", it does something for me that I just can't describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Americans are shocked if a couple are 'sleeping' with each other, what's the problem, they're only sleeping? Now if they were having sex that's a different matter......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Jesus christ... Awesome is not an American word, or an Americanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Hey gimme some of that bacon!!!

What the **** is a proper sausage?

Errrr I'm an american!11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Sindri wrote: »

And the expression of 'dude'. :mad:

'Hell yeah' :mad:

'True that' :mad:

'Awesome' :mad::mad::mad:

**** of back to your enthusiastic masturbating over American pop culture (a culture with the specific function of selling you products :confused:) with your cultural cringe. I'm ****ing sick of people idealising American culture. I know a guy who used to venerate the ****ing place and it's pop culture. Never shut up about America and actually made an effort to speak with American expressions. :mad: So I punched him once. Felt a lot better. :) It wasn't so much the American idioms that annoyed me but the actual enthusiasm with which he actually made an effort to utilize as many of them as possible in his articulation.

You do know where the usage of smilies/emoticons originate, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

smash wrote: »
    Jesus christ... Awesome is not an American word, or an Americanism.

It's associated and probably used most in the that country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

"Cops" It's the Guards ya fooking tool!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Douchebag....whatever happened to just calling someone a gobshyte?!

Advertisement