Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple to announce iPad 3 on March 7th 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"something you really have to see"

That's the Retina screen confirmed, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Doing away with the home button too, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

"something you really have to see"

That's the Retina screen confirmed, I think.

And touch.

Hmmmm.....

I'm making a prediction - haptic feedback.

You heard it here first people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Doing away with the home button too, it seems.

There's no visible connector in the picture either, so it might just be in landscape mode. It would be very unusual for Apple to include an image of the to-be-announced device in the press release picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Maybe touch sensitive back panel? Swiping gestures etc.

Jobs always hated people putting iPads in covers...

• Advertisement

Maybe touch sensitive back panel? Swiping gestures etc.
    I don't really see the point of this. What would you use it for? How would you activate it?

I don't really see the point of this. What would you use it for? How would you activate it?

When browsing the web maybe? Use your iPad and you'll notice....either you hold it in one hand and use other for control or you take one away to control. Could be used to swipe back and forward. Same on home screen. Maybe useful for games. Just thinking out loud....don't think it will have it.

Edit - just messed around with my iPad. It's a stupid idea...thanks for questioning lol

I remember it being speculated for the iPhone as well, so you are not the first person to suggest it. But it doesn't seem like the kind of thing Apple would do. It's more the kind of half-arsed feature their competitors would think was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

"We have something that you really have to see.... and touch"

Just thinking... since when did Apple start sounding like a Paedophile priest? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it didn't already have multi-touch gestures, I'd have assumed that's what they were hinting at. Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

If theres no home button, I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Gizmodo have already analysed the invite photo and compared it with iPad 2 invite and have concluded it is indeed retina display with no home button.
    Also I saw on macrumors a supposed leaked ipad 3 document showing an $80 increase across the wifi range and 70 increase on the 3G versions. Hopefully will keep iPad 2 resale value up as I'm trying to sell mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

When browsing the web maybe? Use your iPad and you'll notice....either you hold it in one hand and use other for control or you take one away to control. Could be used to swipe back and forward. Same on home screen. Maybe useful for games. Just thinking out loud....don't think it will have it.

Edit - just messed around with my iPad. It's a stupid idea...thanks for questioning lol

PS Vita has a touch panel on the rear as well. Still it does sound kinda pointless on an iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

The iPad 3, will be introduced to the world,by Steve Jobs, himself in the flesh.
    He's not dead you know, just staying over at Elvis's place for a bit if a break.;)

Tora Bora wrote: »
    The iPad 3, will be introduced to the world,by Steve Jobs, himself in the flesh.
    He's not dead you know, just staying over at Elvis's place for a bit if a break.;)

Bet ya 50 yoyos you're wrong chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

appleradioshack.jpg

There's a lot of signs pointing to the release of a brand new iPad floating around these days: myriad rumors, retina displays, and even Apple event invites. Now, a freshly taken pic from an anonymous tipster has given us a little more grease for the iPad 3 rumor mill. As you can see above, starting today all iPad 2 SKUs at Radio Shack are getting $20-50 lopped off their prices, which sure seems like a good way to clear out stock to make room for a newer, pricier version. And, the good news for Apple fans doesn't stop there, as the Shack will also be discounting the iPhone 4 and 4S by $25 from March 1st - 4th. So, is this more evidence of the iPad 3, or just a retailer trying to move more product? We'll know for sure next week.

Source: Engadget

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The invite had a photograph of an iPad. Its not exactly a big surprise that a new one is coming.

Radioshack would want to be dropping alot more than $50 off an ipad2 to shift stock a week before ipad3 comes out:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Before its release date is announced anyway. If anything like the last few announcements (and most iPhone announcements) the actual release is likely four weeks away.

Gizmodo have already analysed the invite photo and compared it with iPad 2 invite and have concluded it is indeed retina display with no home button.
    It's a photoshopped publicity image. Gizmodo are reading too much into it.

• Advertisement

It's a photoshopped publicity image. Gizmodo are reading too much into it.

Indeed. Also wasn't there a leaked component a while back the revealed there is a home button ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Will these be available to buy in Ireland as soon as they're released in the states?

Also, what is the rumoured alternative to the home button? Will they integrate it into the touchscreen or will they completely re-design the way the interface works?

It won't be available here at the same time as the States. It will be a couple of weeks at least.

As for how the iPad would work without a home button, Apple already introduced multitasking gestures in iOS 5 that allow you to go back to the home screen, switch between apps and bring up the multitasking bar without using the home button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

DubDJ wrote: »

Just thinking... since when did Apple start sounding like a Paedophile priest? :D

Amwdxq3CQAIgQDL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭pah

DubDJ wrote: »

Well certainly not in your lifetime, so that rules out the last 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Brian017 wrote: »
    If theres no home button, I'm out.

Why?

gestures and assistive touch in ios5 renders the home button practically obsolete. leaving only the button press for reset/dfu which could be moved to the vol up/down instead.

would the loss of it really make you not buy it? thats a very closeminded view.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd much prefer them to keep the homebutton (and don't doubt they will).

Just because something can be done using swipes doesn't mean it should.

I have the same problem with the newer Kindle readers. There's a touchscreen version which has done away with the lovely tactile click buttons for forward/back and it's awful.

It's not as it they're going to do away with all the bezel anyway, so if they did, they would seem to be removing it for the sake of it. I don't see why they can't have swipes and the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I hope the home buttos stays. And they need to be careful with making the vezels to narrow as we may end up accidentally touching the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

This might be the first tablet I buy. Looking forward to seeing what they're adding to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

If the image does depict a device without the Home button, it doesn't look like they've used the space to increase the size of the screen. Wouldn't that make removing it a bit pointless?

Advertisement