Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you intend to vote in the upcoming EU Fiscal Treaty referendum?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

dvpower wrote: »
    A man who relies on borrowings has eveything to lose by refusing to sign the loan documents.

Obviously the hundreds of thousands in arrears with their jumbo mortgages agreed with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

richiek67 wrote: »
    Fiscal Slavery...lol, get a grip, we already have it. Voting NO will make it even worse, so that's:P what you want is it....like I said, dont cut your nose off to spite your face.

Voting no will make it worse?:rolleyes: OK then

It seems to me however that a lot of people are voting No purely to get one up on the Government and that is simply not a good enough way to vote. If we start basing all our voting decisions on what will piss the government off the most then we stand a good chance voting against something we really ought to vote for, or voting in favour of something we should be against.

I didn't vote for FG because I didn't believe a word they said, I did say however when they were elected that if they did the right thing I would support them, I knew several FG supporters at the time of the last referendum who knew nothing at all about it but said they were voting yes because their party said to vote yes, those people who blindly follow their party no matter what are a lot more dangerous to the country than those who go against them as a **** you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Tayla wrote: »
    I didn't vote for FG because I didn't believe a word they said

So who DID you vote for? Who is this mysterious completely honest political party - please tell me for the next election because I haven't found them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I'll be voting no because implementing the compact will change nothing.

The Eurozone "Stability and Growth Pact" contained rules to ensure member states had to keep their economies in good shape. Not too much borrowing, keep government spending in check - that sort of thing. It would appear all that was ignored.

We were abiding (mostly) by the rules until we had to bail out the banks, at which point the rest of the Eurozone positively begged us to borrow heavily and break the rules because of "exceptional circumstances".

The fiscal compact seems to be merely a restating of these rules.

Once the next big crisis comes around and someone needs to be bailed out, do you think the EU/ECB is going to care about this agreement? No, they are going to be begging someone to borrow heaviliy and allow the rules to be broken because of "exceptional circumstances".

Plus, even if there were no financial crisis. I think the proposed and existing Eurozone rules are just too hard to comply with - particularly for the smaller nations. If the rules were strictly enforced I could see economic development being stifled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

:.........it seems more than reasonable mechanism to help stop this ****e happening again.

Hello? Anybody home?

How will it stop whats happened here exactly? For as long as there are corrupt politicians willing to destroy the nation for the benefit of their mates then no ''mechanism'' will stop this happening again.

Fix the mess with Anglo. Jail those politicians, bankers and civil servants responsible then come ask me about ''mechanisms''.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Ive read a bit about the fiscal treaty and it seems more than reasonable mechanism to help stop this ****e happening again. If you are not going to vote on whats put before you dont deserve that right.

It would have been very beneficial for us back in 2008 when the recession hit because the then government would have taken more of a proactive approach to the country's finances. Of course it would have meant that back in 2008 slashing spending and tax raises and minimum wage and wages all across the board reduced but we'd be in a better position today with the deficit not so large.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Hello? Anybody home?

How will it stop whats happened here exactly? For as long as there are corrupt politicians willing to destroy the nation for the benefit of their mates then no ''mechanism'' will stop this happening again.

Fix the mess with Anglo. Jail those politicians, bankers and civil servants responsible then come ask me about ''mechanisms''.

Firstly I said help stop and secondly the treaty isnt just for Ireland.

Can you tell me how voting no will help us then?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Slozer

Can you tell me how voting no will help us then?

It won't help us as a no vote will be ignored or we will be asked to vote again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anneer

I will vote no, the first time round and the second and the third and continue to vote no until this shower of pretenders get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Does the EU actually care which way Ireland votes? Can't they just ratify for the other countries without us anyway?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

anneer wrote: »
    I will vote no, the first time round and the second and the third and continue to vote no until this shower of pretenders get the message.

I doubt there will be a second bite at this one. They only need 12 states to bring it in. Not like Lisbon or Maastricht etc

So its going to come in. But if you vote no they can block any country in a programme to funds. So park all the other frustration. There is no choice on this one, because our vichy government agreed to haver the choice written out before we get to see the document.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

D1stant wrote: »
    I doubt there will be a second bite at this one. They only need 12 states to bring it in. Not like Lisbon or Maastricht etc

So its going to come in. But if you vote no they can block any country in a programme to funds. So park all the other frustration. There is no choice on this one, because our vichy government agreed to haver the choice written out before we get to see the document.

This document? http://european-council.europa.eu/media/639235/st00tscg26_en12.pdf

Nate

Advertisement