Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF Aengus O'Snodaigh has claimed €50,000 in expenses for Printer Ink

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

kippy wrote: »
    Based on the statements by AOS, and the statements from a number of his constituents here and elsewhere, as well as the empirical facts about page coverage, potential number of pages printed per toner, amount of paper required, quality of leaflets that are known to exist, availability of dail printing press, estimated life span of other components within the printers, use of ink/toner by other politicians, reduction in use since the limits came in (the list goes on), you would have to be the most blinkered of supporters to believe that he used all that ink himself on two printers for leaflets for constituents. It just beggars believe that he is still getting support at this point.
    I suppose if you justify your support for SF (in spite of their very dodgy associations) on the grounds that they are 'different' to everyone else, it must be a real slap in the face to find out that they are just the same.

Easier to believe some elaborate excuse than question your beliefs. Same thing with Bertie Ahern and his hard-core Fianna Failure supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I suppose if you justify your support for SF (in spite of their very dodgy associations) on the grounds that they are 'different' to everyone else, it must be a real slap in the face to find out that they are just the same.

Easier to believe some elaborate excuse than question your beliefs. Same thing with Bertie Ahern and his hard-core Fianna Failure supporters.

True, although I wouldn't call the excuse coming from SF/AOS "elaborate" - anything but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

True, although I wouldn't call the excuse coming from SF/AOS "elaborate" - anything but.
    Yeah, I suppose 'highly implausible' was what I should have said. Along the lines of Bertie's "I won it on the horses", the favourite of money launderers the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Are we sticking to inks costing 50 grand? Have we decided how many cartridges there were? figures seem to go from a few hundred to a few thousand. does anyone here have definitive figures on exactly how much ink was used?

AoS didnt lie about it and certainly didnt deny it. Much preferred to those who seem to be making it up as they go along. I'll take honesty any day.

maccored wrote: »
    Are we sticking to inks costing 50 grand? Have we decided how many cartridges there were? figures seem to go from a few hundred to a few thousand. does anyone here have definitive figures on exactly how much ink was used?

AoS didnt lie about it and certainly didnt deny it. Much preferred to those who seem to be making it up as they go along. I'll take honesty any day.

The problem is, at this stage, there isn't enough information out there. Either on what exactly he took, or how many of them.
    He did not lie or deny taking the consumables, how could he, they were on public record. After that we have no idea of whether he lied or not.

This whole thing was hidden by the politicians who knew about it and were it not for the journalist we may never have know what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

you would have to be the most blinkered of supporters to believe that he used all that ink himself on two printers for leaflets for constituents. It just beggars believe that he is still getting support at this point.

I never said I was a supporter of AÓS and if you took the trouble to read the thread before attacking another poster you would see that I am not a SF supporter.

yourpics wrote: »
    I never said I was a supporter of AÓS and if you took the trouble to read the thread before attacking another poster you would see that I am not a SF supporter.
    I never said you were.
    The "YOU" in that statement should have probably read "ONE" as it wasn't directed at yourself but at people in general who support his side of the story.
    If you read that as an "attack" on another poster, I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I never said you were.
    The "YOU" in that statement should have probably read "ONE" as it wasn't directed at yourself but at people in general who support his side of the story.
    If you read that as an "attack" on another poster, I apologise.

Fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

This whole thing was hidden by the politicians who knew about it and were it not for the journalist we may never have know what happened.

So you don't think it was only temporarily "hidden" by the politicians who knew about until such time as it would be politically beneficial for them to tip off that journalist? Do you think it was just a coincidence he happened to discover it when SF were after doing very well in an opinion poll and when a European referendum was due to be announced which would see SF as being one of the main oppositions to it succeeding? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

So you don't think it was only temporarily "hidden" by the politicians who knew about until such time as it would be politically beneficial for them to tip off that journalist? Do you think it was just a coincidence he happened to discover it when SF were after doing very well in an opinion poll and when a European referendum was due to be announced which would see SF as being one of the main oppositions to it succeeding? Seriously?

Sounds like a Bertie Ahern conspiracy theory about why the stories came out about him. Didn't he say the same thing then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It doesn't really affect the actual issue though?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

As someone pointed out earlier, timing is everything in politics. The same someone used the Martin McGuinness/Sean Gallagher altercation as an example of timing in politics.
    In this instance the journalist would have had to have submitted that FoI long before that opinion poll or announcement of a european referendum.
    I have to say, arent you glad it came out? I mean there's no point pretending any more from SF - they are just as bad as the rest of them.

SF only have themselves to blame in this instance, no one else. They handled the whole escapade especially badly.

EDIT - just to add, I believe the politicians that knew about this hid it as it was something that would bring more focus on political wages and benefits and we all know turkeys tend not to vote for Christmas.
    This thing could have been tipped to the journalist by any number of people who knew about this by the way, a disgruntled staff/ex staff member etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Forgive a flippant diversion, but this did make me lol on another forum...
    Gosh, you're a good'un.. how have I missed your other 140 odd posts?.. they should be put together as pamphlet or manifesto.
    Feel free. I am happy to help with printing costs. (A friend of a friend got a great deal on toner).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

So what did Ó Snodaigh spend the money printing?

An idea might be in the following...

All history teachers in our school received numerous coloured copies of the 1916 Proclamation in the post today; Irish on one side, English on the other. Green on top, white in the centre, orange at the bottom.

They were posted in an A4 envelope with Dáil Éireann written on the left-hand side. A letter, also on coloured paper with the gold harp of the state on the top, was signed by 'Aengus Ó Snodaigh TD'.

Most objectionably, however, on the bottom right of each English version of the Proclamation is typed 'Aengus Ó Snodaigh TD'. Whatever frame teachers get, they'll be sure to try and cover that up.

Shameless opportunist using state money - "expenses" - to promote himself, to literally place his name alongside Mac Diarmada, Pearse and Plunkett. Up there with the worst of the mé féiner crooks in Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Seanchai wrote: »

All history teachers in our school received numerous coloured copies of the 1916 Proclamation in the post today; Irish on one side, English on the other. Green on top, white in the centre, orange at the bottom.

They were posted in an A4 envelope with Dáil Éireann written on the left-hand side. A letter, also on coloured paper with the gold harp of the state on the top, was signed by 'Aengus Ó Snodaigh TD'.

Most objectionably, however, on the bottom right of each English version of the Proclamation is typed 'Aengus Ó Snodaigh TD'. Whatever frame teachers get, they'll be sure to try and cover that up.

Shameless opportunist using state money - "expenses" - to promote himself, to literally place his name alongside Mac Diarmada, Pearse and Plunkett. Up there with the worst of the mé féiner crooks in Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael.

When you join SF you get a membership pack which contains numerous things, DVD, booklet, membership card etc a well as a copy of the proclamation (other stuff too I can't remember). Depending were you are from you usually get stuff "printed by" the local rep. Each rep usually has all kinds of stuff printed up with their name on it (tiny, at the bottom right, it's hardly alongside the signatories). I have a whole heap of commemorative stuff, Hunger Strikes etc and it has someones name in tiny writing at the bottom and tbh I dont see anything wrong with it, although I would prefer it without it, especially now.

This has been the case for decades and decades with cumann names, party names, individuals names (even street names during the Kevin Street/Gardiner Street nonsense) printed at the bottom of things.

Now, memberships etc have been renewed around January and this year there is a special 1913 lockout edition with material about that (not sure what it is though)

I imagine they have a bunch of proclamations left over and are trying to get rid

Get a guillotine and cut off the bottom half inch and give them to your students or whatever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Seanchai wrote: »

So he is using Oireachtas envelopes to post out the proclamations, and Dáil stationary to print them in the first instance? Is you school in the constituency of Dublin South Central?

So he is using Oireachtas envelopes to post out the proclamations, and Dáil stationary to print them in the first instance? Is you school in the constituency of Dublin South Central?
    I doubt they were printed using Dail stationary it sounds like they are the ones SF have printed up, similar to the brown ones your lot(which are very good I have to say) have done albeit much smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭golfball37

I'd much rather he spent the money on Bertie or Brian Cowan's pension tbh.

The proclomation has no place in present day Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

GRMA wrote: »
    Now, memberships etc have been renewed around January and this year there is a special 1913 lockout edition with material about that (not sure what it is though)
    Oh man, where do I sign up? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Be interesting to see if these clowns are still taking toners from the stationery Office like they were about to go out of fashion, I saw a well known FF member from the west of Ireland last week getting out of what I assume was his car and there was about 10 toners in the back, I think ya man from Daily Hate Senan Molony’ needs to be in another FOI request!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Yes, it was in an Oireachtas envelope and the stationary is as in the photo below with a lovely, rich golden harp on coloured state paper. The school is in his constituency. They are very classy, and definitely weren't cheap. I just think Ó Snodaigh is a brazen little article to be putting his name at the bottom of the 1916 Proclamation. And I suppose at least we have some evidence of where some of his printing money was spent!

20130216_154228_zps3bc4dac0.jpg

20130216_154219_zps3eb058ae.jpg

20130216_154334_zps549a8934.jpg

I don't know what I'll do with the extra ones - all I know is that the frame is going to have to cover up Ó Snodaigh's name at the bottom.

They are the proclamations I mentioned a few months back, SF print up loads of them for membership packs etc and they all have someones name at the bottom right. I have a bunch of ones which have "Senator Pearse Doherty" written at the bottom.

I really dont see the issue with that, its been done for decades by various groups and individuals.

They couldnt have been printed using regular printers.

Just cut off the bottom half inch, I wouldnt bother framing them tbh you can get better ones

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A year old issue (sorry for the pun), mentioned on other threads, time to end it here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement