Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Patser

See the KBC unit in Manor Mills has guys working in it this morning, painting away and all the interior looks empty.

Any idea what's going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NetworkOrange

Could be related to the Paddys day event they are planning?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Emma's Place in the Glenroyal has closed down. Last good traditional cafe we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭wally79

Ah that’s disappointing. Loved going there for a good fry. Great breakfast roll too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

That's a shame. They seemed to have been really struggling for staff the last couple of months. They were closed a lot of the time as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Never even knew it existed and would consider myself fairl 'well up' on local amenities :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Ever hear of the Farmers pool or Vietnam in Maynooth??. If you haven't then your not 'well up' on local amenities in the town at all haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

None of them even turn up on Google!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭vafankillar

always surprised by how some businesses dont use social media to their advantage. remember trying to just find a menu for emmas place online one afternoon when i was thinking of heading over to collect some lunch and the facebook page was just a mish-mash of posts, months/years apart. dont have to be a tech whizz to just post a menu & some food photos

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Farmers pool was where the fishing place used to be on the dunboyne road. We used to catch trout there as kids. The fishing place flooded the entire area and stocked it with carp. Destroyed the river.

Vietnam was the open quarry across the road. Its now a nice manicured area fenced in the estate called linden demesne. We could absail down one side and have camp fires there as kids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only obscure name I can remember is that the top of Old Greenfield was called Abyssinia, as construction started during the Italo-Ethiopian War.

There's been a cafe there since 1998 or whenever the centre opened - Royal Cafe first and then Emmas for the last ten years or so.

Did anything ever take over the hardware shop in the Glenroyal shopping center? Is that two units empty now?

Still empty.

I also have to wonder how long two Boylesports makes sense in the town, considering the number of bookies has been going down over time. That's two merged units to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Got takeaway from Tuck In night. It was very decent. Pasta seemed fresh (I only ordered there and it was ready very quickly, so didn't take long to cook), sauce was nice

I think the issue is that pasta just doesn't work great as a takeaway. I only live five minutes away but by the time I got home it was all stuck together in one big lump. I think this is unavoidable. It's a shame, if they had a little seating area I'd say it would be really nice (let's remove the car park in Town Centre Mall, cover it and set up a communal seating area for the three restaurants, it'll be great)

So overall a solid 7/10 I reckon. I will go back, but probably not too regularly. I'd recommend trying it though, worse case you're supporting a local business and a medium pasta was under a tenner

fone+ down by Apache pizza is gone. Must be the only town going where the number of phone and vape shops isn't rising

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭crl84

I saw that they had seats outside last weekend. Maybe it's only at weekends and not weeknights?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭vafankillar

tbf eurogiant basically doubles as a vape shop, think they've the cheapest disposables going at €6 each, others have 3 for €18 offers (or around that), but dont think you can get a single one that cheap anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Patser

Hidden Hearing shop open there today, already has the look that it's been there years

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭crl84

Is parking on the main street (and other monitored areas) still free for the first 15mins? Or has this been changed?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

How does this work? Does the traffic warden have to find you twice in the same place?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Aww, that's a pity. I'm only in Maynooth occasionally but I liked that place.

To cut the cafes even further, I've heard the Elite is closing...

New market in the square today, 10-3.

Hopefully it's good and does well for them

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭FrankN1

It's something the town needs, but we don't have the setup for it, at least not there and not now.

All the fundamental problems that caused the last attempt to fail - cobblestones, no power and water hookups, no shelter - haven't been fixed and the stall quality today isn't great.

Yeah, it was a bit underwhelming. Shame, I'd love to see it succeed but it needs to expand if it's going to

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

That's been there for ages hasn't it? I wonder what the future of the main street is, hope it thrives but not sure what businesses could flourish as a lot of competition for cafes and it'd be great if we don't see another bookies or newsagent.

I wonder when more houses / apartments are built how that'll impact main street - hopefully it'll lead to more premises being and remaining open.

• Advertisement

Its one of the few remaining businesses from the 1986 trade directory I mentioned a rake of pages back.

Outside of professional services, banks and pubs; Barrets, Hula Bou, Jims shoe repairs and Donovans in Greenfield are about the only other places left with the same name in the same place.

Really don't see the market for another bookies or newsagent/convenience store on Main Street - there used to be five newsagents (Barrys, Centra, Kiernans, Donovans, Nuzstop) plus one on the start of Parson Street; and now there's two; and if anything I could see Boylesports get rid of a branch rather than there be a fourth bookies now.

Paddy Power and Ladbrokes have been closing/consolidating branches all over, and while a few are being taken up by others it does indicate a shrinking market.

Advertisement