Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Care to elaborate as I've not noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any idea when they will fix whatever issue has led to traffic control on the 'Northern Bypass' for ~ 2 months now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The lights at Mariavilla on the moyglare road cause havoc. Takes 20 mins on in the morning to reach them from the school and then you fly down to dunnes in 20 seconds. Really poor timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Patser

It's not the lights, it's people taking the right turn into the college just before them. When school traffic is heavy in both directions, anybody turning there holds up all the traffic until the lights go red, then they get to turn but everyone that was held up behind them is now stuck at the red.

When that goes green you suddenly have that open run ahead that you describe, until the next student turning right repeats the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

How the college entrance wasn't included as part of the junction design is beyond me. That gate/entrance is completely unfit for purpose the coaches using it jamb things up particularly coming out as they block the Moyglare road in both directions until the lights turn green. The number of near misses with traffic leaving the farm and cyclists/scooters is frightening too.

• Advertisement

Yep, it's so close to the new Mariavilla entrance that a roundabout, or filter lane junction could probably have been put in - where that little mini green space is beside the apartments - but I think there were issues with land ownership between College, Farmer, Schools and then also the stream there messing things up.

There again this morning. Huge problems between lights and poorly designed entrances to Mariavilla and the college. I'm just waiting for them to put a set of lights in a the entrance to Moyglare Hall at the eir exchange.

I know we've gone way off topic but they need to do something at the Eir exchange, traffic calming or similar between kids crossing through traffic going to and from school or crossing to the GAA in the dark it's a dangerous junction. On topic there was a rumor of something similar to Greenfield Shopping centre being developed on the Moyglare road distinct from the Moygaddy development has anyone heard anything similiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Planning should never have been granted for the junction like that. The road out of Mariavilla should have lined up with the college exit. Or, at the very least, the traffic lights should have been positioned to cover both roads.

The best solution now would be to ban right turns into the college in the mornings and right turns coming out in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

That junction is bedlam especially if coaches are trying to get out of the University. Was stuck there without moving for 30mins one evening.

Just sent a mail to customerservice@kildarecoco.ie asking for Road's to have a look

In fairness to them they do open a case and do seem to follow up. Might be worth others considering doing the same for any issues like this. I managed to once get a roadside gutter installed where there was pooling of water after some shoddy works by a building developer in the area.

• Advertisement

Whst do you reckon is the worst pub food in maynooth?

The roost is shocking. The place is filthy and id be worried eating there. Avoid at all costs. Frozen ingredients all round it would appear. Glasses also filthy with lipstick and dirt.

Bradys is just ok. Expensive for what you get. A decent pint though.

McMahons is good. Decent portion sizes and food always presented well. Reasonably priced too.

O'Neills is only ok. Wouldn't hurry back. Steak was like rubber. Pint was poor also. Guinness had been sitting a while.

Glenroyal is shocking money for what you get. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Have to say I've always found the food in O'Neills to be excellent and that would be our go to if looking for food in a pub. McMahons food was good too but the light set up in the lounge is very off putting to me, just looks tacky or something. Bradys I thought was good too but haven't had food in Glenroyal (aside from Arkle which was delicious) and The Roost though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NetworkOrange

Don't think I can agree with you. McMahons is shocking, horrible food and I avoid it completely. O'Neils is my go to place, always good and consistent food. Glenroyal and Bradys are okay, better than McMahons for sure. Only been to the Roost once, so cant really compare.

O'Neills my go to pub food place, McMahons for a carvery, Bradys for the Guinness and Roost for music (trad sessions front bar, late music main bar).

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Echoing others above me, O'Neill's is also my go to for pub food.

You mentioned presentation being nice in McMahon's, I agree but I reckon it's style over substance, food itself only ok.

Brady's is poor quality freezer food imo, but I can't say no to a bite and a pint outdoors there on the square in the summer.

Roost isn't great, can agree on that.

I wouldn't call the Arkle in the Glenroyal pub food, it's pricey but it's sit-down restaurant quality and doesn't really compare to the other's on your list (unless you're talking about the bar snack menu they do out the front, but that's only small bites as far as I know).

For a pint and some food, I have to say I enjoy the Newtown Inn with a pizza or Chinese from one of the associated take-aways next-door/above.

Agreed on Newtown mate. A really good setup. A 3 in 1 and a pint of guinness is the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Id prefer food in McMahons to The Roost .

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭crl84

McMahons and O'Neills the best. Latter has had the same small menu for what seems like 10 years, but maybe that's the key to their consistent quality.

Newtown is good for no fuss sustenance as mentioned above, but wouldn't go there if planning to eat. It's fine for filling you up when having a few pints watching sport (by far the best pub to watch matches IMO).

Bradys and the Roost not great.

Haven't eaten in the Glenroyal in years tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Yeah the Newtown is the best pub by a country mile for watching sports in. The spice bag from the Chinese upstairs along with pints can't be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vik166

I called into Tuckin last night and thought it was unreal! You can tell they’re still starting off and are still finding their feet, as their online ordering is having issues. But i would definitely recommend. You could tell the pasta and sauces were fresh and made in house that day. It’s fab since you decide what pasta you want to pair with which sauce making it super adaptable + they had gluten free options!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rathkenny

I got a takeaway from Tuckin on Tuesday night and I have to say I was disappointed with it. I found that the aranchini had very little to no bacon in it which made it tasteless and the pasta has insufficient sauce. I was disappointed as they seemed like lovely people and I would love to support their new business and give them a positive review but I won't be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I was inspired by the last couple of posts to go and get pasta for lunch, but it's not open! (Opens at 4pm)

But, I'd missed Shaking Tang having a full menu, I always thought it was bubble tea. Got myself a ramen and it was very decent. Not spectacular, but good, I'll be back. Service was a bit slow for a lunch break but overall I'd recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭vafankillar

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Inforapenny

Ate in O'Neills for the first time over 6 months ago, really disappointing. Had heard from a few people it was the best pub food in the town.

I had the Roast Beef Special, it was so bad and expensive at 20 euro. Gravy was off, veg were awful, meat wasn't great. Other person in our party had fish tacos which were poor too, wraps too thick and heavy. Said it to waitress who said its our signature dish and really popular.

I would get a better roast beef carvery in Dublin for cheaper.

Have had the beef in The Avenue a few times and its much better than what I experienced in O'Neills, I appreciate its a restaurant but the difference in quality is night and day and no real difference in price if getting the early bird menu and two courses for 27/28 euro.

I wont hold out much hope for food in the other pubs in the town if O'Neills is widely considered the best.

Need to find a place that does a proper (queue up yourself) carvery in & around Maynooth/nearby towns.

The fish tacos there are my usual go to dish in O'Neils (that and wings), never had an issue with the tacos. Maybe it was a bad day, different chef or ingredient issues. People also have different tastes and expectations, it is pub grub after all.

I'd give O'Niells another chance I've only had a couple of poor/average meals over the years but the majority of the time it's good and the staff are very nice. Funny enough it was the fish tacos and beef we found poor about 6 months ago I haven't had the fish tacos again but the beef is usually good!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭vafankillar

have just noticed the bins on the main street have been replaced, making them smaller. strange decision, dont think i've ever walked by there on a morning after a student night out & thought "ah jaysus, i just wish that bin would have overflowed earlier in the night"

I wish they didnt squander the money on new bins and instead paid people to empty them/clean the place up. Straffan road has an issue with people dumping household waste at the bins along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The biggest attraction in the town has to be the black cat that sits on the wall near the college library. He has been there for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭crl84

Got a Tuckin over the weekend on the back of the above posts, and thought it was great.

The Large portions of pasta were massive, and arancini were pretty big too. In contrast to the above post, I thought there was enough sauce on the pasta (I'm no connoisseur, but I think authentic Italian restaurants tend to use a little sauce instead of a lot?), and the arancini had plenty of bacon in them.

Got some desert treats thrown in for free too, the cannoli were unreal! Some kind of cherry bakewell things too which were nice, but I'm not a big of cherry.

Would definitely order again, although would go for medium pasta if having the arancini on the side.

They need to get a proper menu up on fb/Instagram though. We ordered based on a photo someone had taken of the menu on the wall, posted in the Maynooth community FB group.

Advertisement