Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Tango One

Anyone know what happened to the bike shop over at Newtown shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Closed earlier this year. Its a pharmacy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

There must be some money in pharmacies. Every town in Ireland seems to have half a dozen

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Really isn't - anymore. Lots of towns with multiple have them heavily owned by the same person who buys them up as they close. I know of a fair few closed down in Dublin in the past few years.

It was by comparison a licence to print money before the GMS and DPS payments were heavily cut during the crash.

Maynooth hasn't had a new one in a very long time though, over a decade since Boots opened so there may be enough growth in the market now. Would have made more sense before the GP surgery in Beaufield closed though

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Zipyard seems to be gone - they’re painting the front a different colour. Any idea what’s replacing it or if it’s just rebranding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Looks like its just getting a new name, its up but I can't remember it now but was altering/tailoring related. The lady that owns/runs it was there yesterday too so looks like a rebrand.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Hopefully cheaper and better service. Zip Yard in general as a chain is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I know it's been open a whileen, but Rock Salt is quite good. Very family friendly. Good vibe in there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zipyard rebranding as a bridal alterations place. I imagine the Zipyard branding isn't that cheap to use.

Hopefully it's not the same prices or service.

• Advertisement

Very good actually. Best coffee in Maynooth in my opinion. Reasonably priced too compared with Costa. Definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Gusser09

McDonalds still the best cup of coffee for me and the best priced. Costa is astronomical money as are a lot of the independent places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Mackers coffee is ok but it's like a cattle mart with the amount of traffic and people indulging in fried fancies. Hardly hugely appealing. Tried JoJos the other day. Wow what a bland cup of Joe for a "artisan" coffee shop. Can't see it lasting too long if that's the offering. Rocksalt is a great shout 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Rocksalt is great for coffee/pastries but I wonder how long they will last with the current set up of premade sandwiches they heat up. Very limiting for such a big space. Unless they plan to expand the menu as traffic builds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

Rocksalt seem to be ramping up their menu in two stages so far, there is now a small breakfast option. Service is too slow for such a limited menu with premade sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Ah ok. That's good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Spoke to one of the staff in Rocksalt, said they're waiting on the head chef they're hiring in to finish working his notice period in his previous place before fully opening with the full menu. January timeframe was mentioned - I expect it to improve a lot when this happens!

Reputation could be damaged by them though thats the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Typo at the GAA club have a drive-thru window now.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

I see that the Kildare Climate Action Plan was agreed last week. Each county council had to pick one town as their decarbonization zone and Kildare chose Maynooth. Here is a PDF link. They are now working on the new Local Area Plan for the town. Maybe primary schools will finally get cycle lanes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

They can't complain about not having a ring road if it's the decarbonised town! Another victory for the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

A councillor was out last week celebrating 50m of new footpath that ends in a private entrance complete with a telephone pole in the middle which seems to be standard in Maynooth. It's 10m shy of linking to the next footpath which might be worth acknowledging but we can't be knocking or CPO'ing someone's gate pillars we'll make 100's of kids walk around it on the road to get to the shiny new footpath instead! The bar here is incredibly low for any new infrastructure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Not sure how I feel about maynooth been picked. It's probably the best town in kildare for growth opportunities, (not from maynooth but but think its a fantastic town) It will be interesting to see if this helps or hinders development .

Lidl's had a partial internal refit, which is a bit odd when its going to be knocked.

Frozen section has been expanded/changed to all high cabinets and the seasonal food section expanded along the back of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

What’s the plan if it’s going to be knocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Maynooth was selected as decarbonization town at least 3 years ago. We bought our house nearly 2.5 years ago and I remember that was something I came across in looking into the area.

Is there anything to be said for another set of lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Looks like positive news for the ringroad...

• Advertisement

New Italian in what was Meridien 16, with a terrible name (Tuck'in)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61555122857045

Falo is also expanding to non-pizza menu items, but the guy that promotes it on Facebook has shown themselves to be rather further right wing than someone I want to give business to, so I won't be trying that.

Advertisement