Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Less parking in Maynooth centre in general would be very welcome. I'd be happy for more businesses to take up the outdoor spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

At the expense of on-street parking absolutely but the bottlenecks that Ely, Picadareos, and Bistro created by their outdoor seating shouldn't be tolerated. More on-street seating along with the removal of the on-street parking on main street along with the monument to the motorway absolutely but the current situation shouldn't be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Not bottlenecks IMO and think it's great to see. No one would bother using on-street seating on the Main St or it'd be used for loitering which is something we defintely wouldn't want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I've zero sympathy for some of these businnesses and I'd hope they would have to pay handsomely for the use of outdoors areas. A lot of them including Bradys and Bistro 53 are purely ripping off people at the moment. And the quality is shocking too.

Let them pay for the pleasure of seating more customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

McDonald's are expanding:

the removal of the existing external corral, freezer, dry store and bin store; and the provision of an extension to the existing restaurant along the eastern boundary by 88.9sqm, the western boundary by 20sqm and the southern boundary by 0.1sqm, increasing the overall floor area of the restaurant by 109sqm, from 302.2sqm to 411.2sqm. The development also proposes amendments to the Drive Thru land to create a 2 no. lane arrangement; the relocation of Drive Thru signage, structures and road markings; minor revisions to the car parking layout; the provision of a new external corral area along the eastern elevation; the provision of 3 no. new glazed Drive Thru booth windows along the southern elevation; elevational upgrades; the provision of PV panels at roof level; and all associated works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Walk past Ely during the morning or afternoon school rush and you'll see it. It can be bad at anytime of the day too if it's busy. Picadareos and Bistro aren't as bad but both take most of the footpath in the evenings and I've had trouble getting past with the kids. I'd have no issue if we got rid of the parking along that stretch but one of the other should go. I meant on-street seating as in for the restaurants but what do you mean loitering you think we should pay to sit on our own main street?

No business pays rates ATM they've been suspended since covid a pity they didn't suspend the LPT too!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rates waivers ended in March 2022 and were industry specific albeit those places would have got the waiver.

Section 254 street furniture licences is meant to be €125 per table in Kildare now, although the document (which actually uses Ely as a photo!) is clearly a draft including an instruction for a named person to check a fact in it, so it may still be the COVID era 0.

Rightly or wrongly I think the seating outside the restaurants (and McMahons and Bradys) adds a huge amount of character to the area and I think they should be supported, we may feel some of them are expensive but I'd rather that they're there than that they're closed and a vacant premises. (I've no dog in the fight BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Maynooth main street is not exactly Shibuya Crossing, what constitutes having "had trouble getting past"? The pavement is pretty generous outside Bistro53, I struggle to see how the outdoor seating would cause an issue for anything other than an articulated lorry trying to navigate the pavement:

Walking past a restaurant takes maybe 5 seconds out of one's day. Even if the presence of an outdoor dining area in the vicinity somehow quadrupled that time, I think they'd be a net win in terms of atmosphere, utility, and enjoyment for the people of Maynooth and the businesses that make our town a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'm not sure wat people's problems are with it either. We've a double buggy and get by no problem. You should be happy we've such nice places here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 NetworkOrange

I dont see a problem with the seating outside in general, if there is room. It'd be great to see more of it IMO. Or set up Harbour Field to have weekend events, like food trucks or a market etc.

Only issue Ive come into is the sign thats planted outside the kebab place beside the roost that is literally in front of you and in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NetworkOrange

Fuel prices going up remove any benefits of the energy reductions

And the public sit in these private businesses.

Absolutely. The way that businesses on the main street can put seating on the footpaths is crazy. I'd wonder if I were to sit down for a rest one day could they actually remove me? It's public property after all.

13 euro a glass of wine in that place. I hope they are paying a lot for using the footpath.

Not crazy at all. It's a great amenity. The footpaths are about 4 metres wide... Is it really so difficult to walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 electricrover88

Nice to see maynooth growing

I'd ask them the same question. Most annoying thing is when some arsehole parks on the path because they can't walk 2 metres.

Where does that happen on the Main Street though? I have seen it on Mill Street beside the bed shop but not on the Main Street. Taxis take the piss for sure up beside Oneills and the chipper blocking things.

People don't park on the footpath beside Ely,Picaderos, Donatellos, Bistro and so forth. It just doesn't happen. But the restaurants do impede on the footpath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Went to Macaris in Celbridge tonight - it is better quality than the Romayos in Maynooth; and you get a lot more food for your money also - but its not like portion sizes are small in Romayos to begin with!

You obviously read my post from 26/8!!

Far better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

I went out there last week based on that too, was grand, better than maynooth ones agreed. My young lad got the kids meal but no toys which the other two in maynooth do, he quickly got over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Can someone explain why the parking is €3 per hour on one end of Pound Lane and only €1 on the other end? €3 is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

I'd guess to discourage parking there, and whoever does park there will be quick to move on and free up spaces.

The former Nutmeg has signs in the window for an imminent (September) reopening as a branch of the Rocksalt chain from Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

I was reading there that the rock salt founder used to live in Maynooth and set up Shoda

Former/original manager there, yeah. The corridor in now-not-Nutmeg would be perfect for the giant prams that a lot of the daytime Shoda customers have - they managed to find, and capture, a market there with mothers of young kids making up a lot of the daytime trade in Shoda.

Never not busy when I've been by and I'd say I've stuck my head in to check for a table and left more often than I've actually found a table and eaten there.

And the quality is dirt. A lot of places in Maynooth now putting prices up and serving poor standard fare. I'd go to McDonalds over the chippers now and that's saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

Typo coffee at Maynooth Gaa have opened their drive thru coffee. I’ve just got my fix. In my opinion nicest coffee in Maynooth

Advertisement