Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I dropped mine from about shoulder height onto a wooden floor in the pub Saturday night but thankfully there wasn't a scratch on it. The sooner my case arrives the better though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I got my One S on Saturday from meteor, Beautiful phone very very pleaded with it. Plenty of messing around with it and the battery held out quiet well. Ive checked most phone shops for the leather cases but they wont have them for another week, Ive read a couple of reports about the cases on ebay being a bit...doggy as in not exacly a snug fit but i might get one of those silicone cases until the leather ones are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

tok9 wrote: »
    I would seriously recommend this. Only had it a few hours but it's look great. I was a little worried at first as I thought it might have suited a white phone better but it looks great with the grey too.

Mine arrived today & I have to say Im pretty happy with it!. Doesnt add much to the size with a nice ridged finish on both sides for grip. Camera section adds just under 1mm of depth which is just enough to keep it off surfaces without being out of place. Volume rocker is excellent. Only fidgity bit it the lock key which can be pretty stiff but I was always expecting that.
    Excellent case and even better considering the price!
    Plus a cheap stylus for draw something helps :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

On insurance, I've never paid for it in 20 years of fairly clumsy high-end mobile phone ownership, without cases or screen guards. Taking the €9/month figure proffered earlier, it's saved me €2160. Even if two of those phones broke, I'd still be down more than a grand.

Mobile phone insurance is in the same category as extended warranties. I think the old ruggedised Nokia feature phones are a better solution for someone that clumsy. :)

dahamsta wrote: »
    On insurance, I've never paid for it in 20 years of fairly clumsy high-end mobile phone ownership, without cases or screen guards. Taking the €9/month figure proffered earlier, it's saved me €2160. Even if two of those phones broke, I'd still be down more than a grand.

Mobile phone insurance is in the same category as extended warranties. I think the old ruggedised Nokia feature phones are a better solution for someone that clumsy. :)
    I have our phones (4) insured through our Home Insurance I think it cost about €50 for the year extra on the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Was thinking of getting this sim free as I dont want to mess with my contract, could you tell me would a phone shop convert my mini sim to a micro sim (without the use of a scissors)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Sintel wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting this sim free as I dont want to mess with my contract, could you tell me would a phone shop convert my mini sim to a micro sim (without the use of a scissors)?

They could exchange your normal sim card with a micro sim card

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Don't bother. Most networks will just give you a MicroSIM free of charge as a replacement sim. Meteor did anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

So do these all come with beats or what's the craic? Hate to deal with the branding on the back if I don't even get a pair

I have our phones (4) insured through our Home Insurance I think it cost about €50 for the year extra on the policy.

My handsets would be covered via my home insurance too - I don't have to specify anything under €1k - but I have to wonder how easy it would be to claim on it.
    Sintel wrote: »

Have you asked your network if they'll provide you with a micro-sim? I've never had trouble getting a replacement SIM, albeit a standard one.

• Advertisement

Don't bother. Most networks will just give you a MicroSIM free of charge as a replacement sim. Meteor did anyway.
    Have you asked your network if they'll provide you with a micro-sim? I've never had trouble getting a replacement SIM, albeit a standard one.

That is the thing, I want to stay away from meteor and getting tied down with a contract. 18 months is what they are trying to flog to me to upgrade, that is too long for my liking.

was going to buy off expansys, but I will need to convert my sim card that's why I was wondering would a phone shop swap me over.

A SIM is not a contract. Call your network and tell them you want a replacement micro-SIM. If they refuse, port out to another network that will, on PAYG or rolling prepay.

I've just left Meteor. They're a shower of ****, pardon my Klatchian.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Just go up to them and ask for a replacement microSIM. They'll just hand a new one over to you free of charge if you're on bill.

A SIM is not a contract. Call your network and tell them you want a replacement micro-SIM. If they refuse, port out to another network that will, on PAYG or rolling prepay.

I've just left Meteor. They're a shower of ****, pardon my Klatchian.

:D
    Just go up to them and ask for a replacement microSIM. They'll just hand a new one over to you free of charge if you're on bill.

Will do, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

I was thinking of doing that myself. Does the policy cover loss or damage outside the home?

Mine does, but they're all different. Read the terms and conditions carefully. You're probably only covered if the phone is destroyed in a car fire on a Tuesday when Aries is rising in Taurus, or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

I would seriously recommend this. Only had it a few hours but it's look great. I was a little worried at first as I thought it might have suited a white phone better but it looks great with the grey too.

I know its not to everyone's taste, but I had a flip case on my previous Desire and it kept it immaculate after 18 months and several drops. So I went and ordered the same again for the One X.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290697403976

It's a really good high quality case and offers excellent protection all round including the lens.

You couldn't pay me to put one of those things on my phone. I'd sooner carry a man-bag.

motownman wrote: »

I was thinking of doing that myself. Does the policy cover loss or damage outside the home?
    It covers loss, and some accidental damage but so far so good nothing has happened to our phone's

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

About a week so tomorrow probably.
    Mine arrived today & I have to say Im pretty happy with it!. Doesnt add much to the size with a nice ridged finish on both sides for grip. Camera section adds just under 1mm of depth which is just enough to keep it off surfaces without being out of place. Volume rocker is excellent. Only fidgity bit it the lock key which can be pretty stiff but I was always expecting that.

Got mine too, it really does have a much better feel to it than I expected! The stylus however, I can't see being used much, the tip is too big to be of use for the likes of Draw Something I think. (Then again haven't tried it for that yet!)

• Advertisement

Its not completely accurate for draw something but is easier then your finger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Any of you using screen protectors? I know it's gorilla glass but I can't bring myself to trust it.

I ordered a pack of 5 on eBay and they arrived today, I don't think they'll last though as they won't stick on the curved section of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Not sure if it was mentioned already but I just got the OTA update from 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

When did they get rid of the one x from the three website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

viking wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned already but I just got the OTA update from 3

I've accepted the update and it's been stuck on the same screen for 5+ minutes now. Beginning to get worried....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've not gotten any updates from 3 yet. Manually checked there and nothing.

Also ordered one of those clear cases. Really worried anytime i'm holding it and do not want to drop it. First smartphone syndrome i guess :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

madmoe wrote: »
    Great mate! How well is the camera lens protected? Can you post some pics ;-)

Sorry for the delay madmoe, been busy but The Great Chinholio has given a great description of it below. I can take a pic of the case for you but not of the phone in the case unfortunately.

I'm absolutely loving the case and everything said above is bang on accurate. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Sorry for the delay madmoe, been busy but The Great Chinholio has given a great description of it below. I can take a pic of the case for you but not of the phone in the case unfortunately.

I'm absolutely loving the case and everything said above is bang on accurate. Great value.

Agreed +1 for the case - protects the phone well and doesnt add too much weight or size - the tactile grips on the side are excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

How long did it take for ye to receive this case after it was dispatched?

Mine was dispatched Wednesday 25th April but still no sign. Hope it arrives soon, all the reviews are very positve.

• Advertisement

How long did it take for ye to receive this case after it was dispatched?

Mine was dispatched Wednesday 25th April but still no sign. Hope it arrives soon, all the reviews are very positve.

Week on the dot

Advertisement