Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

No I don't and I have no intention of ever buying one. Just seems completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tok9 wrote: »
    No I don't and I have no intention of ever buying one. Just seems completely unnecessary.

I will ask the same question of you next year. And Im near confident your answer will be different.

Counts down till 4 July 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

listermint wrote: »
    I will ask the same question of you next year. And Im near confident your answer will be different.

I'm with you on this. It's like all new tech, a few people will buy into it at the start and most will say "it's not for me", or in my case "I wouldn't say no, but they're too expensive right now". Which is pretty much how the iPhone was received when it came out first and look how many have bought into it now. Smart watches will be like that, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Speaking of power saving features is there any power saver widget you can put on the home screen? Just a 1x1 icon. I have ones for WiFi, mobile data, Bluetooth all along the top row of my home page and a power saver icon would go very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I'm a dope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Well I picked one up yesterday and trying to figure everything out

On my s3 I had a data icon. Could use it to go through files on the phone.

Can't find it or similar on the m8.

Also on the s3 I could turn on the camera and lock the phone and use the phone for a torch.

Any ideas for that. Seems if you lock it or close the cover torch goes off.

Other thing, the pull down menu. Can you have icons there or do you have to click into the second menu

Points on the phone. Sound is amazing for a phone.

Noticeably heavier than the s3

Not a fan of the no buttons arrangement. The HTC band takes up a lot of space. For a big phone the viewing window is smaller than you'd think.

This is the M7 thread not M8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

This is the M7 thread not M8

Damit. Too many HTC ones lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

This time next year I'll be travelling so I definitely won't be spending any money on a smart watch but I will be interested to see how they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Chrome using 32 percent of the battery. What the hell. Reverted to Firefox to see it improves the battery. It's gone to hell since the update. Not lasting past 6 in the evening.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Chrome using 32 percent of the battery. What the hell. Reverted to Firefox to see it improves the battery. It's gone to hell since the update. Not lasting past 6 in the evening.

Give Opera a go if you get sick of Firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

cant figure out whats causing my batter drain. i am going for a factory reset.

currently backing up everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My One is repaired! Alas I am in London with work and my phone is in the Vodafone store in Mahon Point. But still, huzzah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Anyone else have the Weather app of all things draining their battery?

Since updating a while back, the battery has lasted about 8-10 hours max - even when left over night it just drains all the way through. Had a look at my apps and the 'Weather Channel' app seemed to be draining it. That was fine so I removed it - only problem is that there is still a function running called com.weather.weather that's apparently using 55% of the battery according to the settings. And I can't disable it or anything.

Any ideas on what to do? Or am I best doing a restore and going back to the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Has anyone rooted their HTC One M7?

Had a look on XDA there and found a guide, but apparently u first have to unlock the bootloader, which wipes the whole phone. Lousy.

Any other android I had, you could just root it as is.

although now that I'm typing this, I seem to remember unlocking the bootloader via the HTC website. I think it was this phone anyway. Would that mean I'm able to just go ahead and root?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Has anyone rooted their HTC One M7?

Had a look on XDA there and found a guide, but apparently u first have to unlock the bootloader, which wipes the whole phone. Lousy.

Any other android I had, you could just root it as is.

although now that I'm typing this, I seem to remember unlocking the bootloader via the HTC website. I think it was this phone anyway. Would that mean I'm able to just go ahead and root?

I rooted mine using the CyanogenMod installer app and computer package. All very smooth. Had it rooted and running cm all in just under half an hour, with very little interaction (ie.messing) from me. It installs clockworkmod too, so AFAIK of you root using this method you can later put ROMs other than cm on it easy enough. I also had a Galaxy S3 a couple of years ago, and it was more complicated to root using Odin than the method I used for the m7.

BTW this method did wipe my phone, but tbh that wasn't a big deal. I had a fresh start installing apps one by one as I needed them, and I've ended up with a more lightweight phone with less crap on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Got my one back. Went to update it to sense 6, but even though i was able to download the update it will not run, I keep getting a red exclamation mark in a trianagle after about half way though the upgrade.

I've tried this a few times, and I also did a factory reset, with no luck.

Any ideas out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭AH92

Have an M7 guys and the middle of the screen isn't responsive anymore making scrolling and tedious an absolute nightmare. Is this the digitizer that's damaged and how much would it cost roughly to fix? If it's too much I might just get the g3. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I got my m7 exchanged by HTC. Does anyone have any idea what a brand new m7 with 10 months warranty is worth?

Stoolbend wrote: »
    I got my m7 exchanged by HTC. Does anyone have any idea what a brand new m7 with 10 months warranty is worth?

Have a look on adverts.ie. At a guess I'd say 250-300 ish after a bit of haggling for a quick sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

My M7 is 1 year and 3 moinths old. The screen is cracked and the volume buttons don't work.

It's insured. What should I do?

• Advertisement

TheChevron wrote: »
    My M7 is 1 year and 3 moinths old. The screen is cracked and the volume buttons don't work.

It's insured. What should I do?

Likelihood is that the buttons might be covered by warranty but the screen wouldn't be. So if you send it for warranty repair it might come back with working buttons but still have broken screen. Chances are HTC will charge an arm and a leg to replace the screen. If it was me, I'd be claiming insurance if possible. Or see if a third party repair centre will give you a decent quote for both jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Likelihood is that the buttons might be covered by warranty but the screen wouldn't be. So if you send it for warranty repair it might come back with working buttons but still have broken screen. Chances are HTC will charge an arm and a leg to replace the screen. If it was me, I'd be claiming insurance if possible. Or see if a third party repair centre will give you a decent quote for both jobs.
    Under the HTC advantage programme you get one free screen repair.
    You might want to do send research of where you can get it done.

Under the HTC advantage programme you get one free screen repair.
    You might want to do send research of where you can get it done.

Didn't know about that programme! Is it standard or is it something you pay for?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Didn't know about that programme! Is it standard or is it something you pay for?
    http://www.htc.com/us/advantage/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Its come up before about this, Its a US only offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The free screen replacement is only during the first six months. I can only find a link for the us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Looking for a bit of help, I rooted my HTC one and have never done a system update. If I install an update software 2.24401.1 will this undo my rooting? Don't want this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

seligehgit wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of help, I rooted my HTC one and have never done a system update. If I install an update software 2.24401.1 will this undo my rooting? Don't want this to happen.

The update will fail if you're rooted since you've modified the system partition.
    Even if it didn't you'd lose root anyway.

Generally you'd unroot and update, or else keep root by flashing an updated rooted rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thanks a mill maki,kind of guessed that.Might consider flashing an updated rooted ROM. Shall do a bit of research, any ROMs you'd recommend flashing?

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Thanks a mill maki,kind of guessed that.Might consider flashing an updated rooted ROM. Shall do a bit of research, any ROMs you'd recommend flashing?

I've been using cyanogen for a couple of months now, very happy with it. I wouldn't mind trying some others down the line, like Paranoid Android and Slimkat, just to see if I'm missing anything, but I think cyanogen is working fine.

Advertisement