Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Blazer wrote: »
    I've both the iphone 5 and HTC One.

Lowlight the HTC one wins. I've give the iphone 5 the advantage in normal light.
    I love both phones.
    With the HTC one I can customize to my hearts content. Unfortunately that means I'm never happy and constantly changing roms etc.
    With the Iphone I don't have that choice and it can be a good thing as I use the phone more for what its intended for instead of wiping/install roms etc.
    Also even though I love the HTC's screen for browsing I'm always afraid of dropping it as its a bit too big I feel...the iphone 5 is smaller at 4" but feels absolutely perfect in my hand.
    Play with both and see what one you fancy most.

Thanks for that info Blazer. But I never had an iPhone, and android man since the HTC Desire. (I've a bit of a Widget fetish :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Thanks Blazer. I'm not sure i'd be bothered getting an iPhone 5 for myself now that they've discontinued it and it'll be quite a while before the 5S turns up sim free I'd imagine. I've had my S3 for a year now so I'm getting the urge to switch now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

nedd wrote: »
    Have you unlocked your bootloader and rooted?

I noticed that when I got my phone I installed some apps, then i unlocked the bootloader (which wipes the data partition) and rooted. When the phone booted up and I installed some apps my memory was tiny. I think the bootloader unlock doesn't delete the partition that has the actual apk file, it only deleted the data associated with the apps.

So did a full wipe and installed ARHD and I got all of my space back again.

Maybe thats not what is wrong with yours though.

Yeah I unlocked the bootloader, rooted phone, no idea how to carry out the procedure you mentioned? Is there any links explaining how to do it?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah I unlocked the bootloader, rooted phone, no idea how to carry out the procedure you mentioned? Is there any links explaining how to do it?

Why not just do a full wipe of your SD card and start from scratch? Here's a guide I wrote a while back...use method 1

http://trickdroid.org/trickdroid-6-0-android-4-2-2-and-your-sd-card/

Will give it a go, thanks basil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Basil3 wrote: »
    Why not just do a full wipe of your SD card and start from scratch? Here's a guide I wrote a while back...use method 1

http://trickdroid.org/trickdroid-6-0-android-4-2-2-and-your-sd-card/

I dont think you need to wipe your SD card, that isn't the issue. I would consider the SD card the piece of memory that you have access to, where you copy photos and music to. Thats not where apps are installed to.

The problem here is that the Data partition is not fully wiped when you unlock your bootloader.

If you have your bootloader unlocked, a custom recovery installed and are rooted then this is what I would do:

Backup Rom with nandroid.
    Backup all app data using Titanium
    Backup SMS messages using SMS Backup and Restore (or something similar)
    backup contacts, these should be synced with GMail anyway so I don't have to do this.
    Download the Rom of your choosing. I use Android Revolution HD 13.4 at the moment, but you can choose one that suits you.
    copy the zip file onto your SD card.
    Boot into Recovery
    Flash the zip from your SD card.
    When prompted tell the installer to do full wipe.
    After ROM is installed restart phone.
    Go through the set up process.
    Restore Apps and data (not system data) with Titanium
    Restore SMS / Contacts

There are guides on XDA. Check out the "Android Development" forum under HTC One on XDA. Everything you need is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Backup SMS messages using SMS Backup and Restore (or something similar)
    backup contacts, these should be synced with GMail anyway so I don't have to do this..

How do you do this, I usually use SMS Backup, but would like to know how I could just do it to Gmail instead?

How do you do this, I usually use SMS Backup, but would like to know how I could just do it to Gmail instead?

I meant that the contacts are synced to Gmail, not SMS messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I meant that the contacts are synced to Gmail, not SMS messages.

Ah right, I mis-read it! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Thanks Blazer. I'm not sure i'd be bothered getting an iPhone 5 for myself now that they've discontinued it and it'll be quite a while before the 5S turns up sim free I'd imagine. I've had my S3 for a year now so I'm getting the urge to switch now :(

5S would be available straightaway sim free. You can order from Apple or one of the Phone operators..

• Advertisement

5S would be available straightaway sim free. You can order from Apple or one of the Phone operators..

Oh, I asked in the iPhone thread and was told it'd be a couple of weeks before I could order a sim free one. Thanks. Would the phone operators not be locked to a network though? If I can find the One for around €500 I'll get it, no lock finding it at that price so far unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Oh, I asked in the iPhone thread and was told it'd be a couple of weeks before I could order a sim free one. Thanks. Would the phone operators not be locked to a network though? If I can find the One for around €500 I'll get it, no lock finding it at that price so far unfortunately.

Well its not released in Ireland till end of Sept afaik.
    If you're after the One why not get it on a 6 month contract with 02?
    Initial cost is €199 and 6 months at €55 a month.
    For that you get unlimited calls/text to any network and 2gb data.
    O2 will unlock hte phone straightaway for you. At the end of the 6 months finish out your contract and switch to a 12 month sim only plan with tescomobile.
    For €30 a month you get 10,000 mins, 10,000 texts and 15gb of data..

its the best deal for a HTC One out there. You're basically buying it at the PAYG cost but spread out over 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sms backup + backs up call logs and sms to gmail and dies it nicely, also backs up whatsapp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Any carriers in Ireland doing the red one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Which screen protectors are ye using?

I've gone through 4 of the "ordinary" ones, and I'm looking for something better. The ones I got we're like €4/5 for a pack of 2. My problem with them was that a couple of them didn't fully stick properly and left a 5mm strip down one edge of the screen where the layer was bubbled up. It wasn't that the surface was unclean, it just seemed like poor quality plastic.

I'm a perfectionist, and I've ripped 2 off that fitted okay but where there were small bubbles from little specks of dust that were so small I didn't see them until the protector bubbled up over them. Couldn't take the layer off to clean it and re-apply, that just made it worse.

So I'm looking for something that goes on really easy and sticks properly.

Are the matt ones any good? Do they take away any of the quality of the display? I've heard some of them are easier to apply.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

These went on very easily for me.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/

A lot lighter than the InvisibleShield but they also don't last as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

chrislad wrote: »
    These went on very easily for me.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/

A lot lighter than the InvisibleShield but they also don't last as long.

Did you go for the anti glare version?

Well its not released in Ireland till end of Sept afaik.
    If you're after the One why not get it on a 6 month contract with 02?
    Initial cost is €199 and 6 months at €55 a month.
    For that you get unlimited calls/text to any network and 2gb data.
    O2 will unlock hte phone straightaway for you. At the end of the 6 months finish out your contract and switch to a 12 month sim only plan with tescomobile.
    For €30 a month you get 10,000 mins, 10,000 texts and 15gb of data..

its the best deal for a HTC One out there. You're basically buying it at the PAYG cost but spread out over 6 months.

I would prefer the One I think because I'm so used to the big screen on my S3 now that the iPhones look tiny.

I saw that offer, it would be perfect except I've got 6 months left to run on my Meteor contract and I'd prefer not to have another contract. I can get around €200-250 for my S3 so I wouldn't mind paying another €300 instead of €199+€330 over 6 months. I'm hoping to get rid of the s3 next week. I've seen it on Amazon for approximately €520 incl. shipping so if I can't get it cheaper somewhere here I'll get it from Amazon. Thanks for the advice though Blazer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Which screen protectors are ye using?

I've gone through 4 of the "ordinary" ones, and I'm looking for something better. The ones I got we're like €4/5 for a pack of 2. My problem with them was that a couple of them didn't fully stick properly and left a 5mm strip down one edge of the screen where the layer was bubbled up. It wasn't that the surface was unclean, it just seemed like poor quality plastic.

I'm a perfectionist, and I've ripped 2 off that fitted okay but where there were small bubbles from little specks of dust that were so small I didn't see them until the protector bubbled up over them. Couldn't take the layer off to clean it and re-apply, that just made it worse.

So I'm looking for something that goes on really easy and sticks properly.

Are the matt ones any good? Do they take away any of the quality of the display? I've heard some of them are easier to apply.

Any suggestions?

Cheap ass fonem8 ones off amazon, about £1-1.50 and postage is £3 on top. I have them on a Nexus 4, Note 2 and HTC One and never had an issue. You get five in the pack, first is usually a tester and second is the one that I use leaving 3 spares.

The Note 2 is thrown around the place a lot and is still on its original one.

Stupidly upgraded superuser via google play,appears to be impairing root functions.How do I go back to my original superuser app??
    SuperSU
    If you have a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM,that can be used to (try to) install the SU binary.This is recommended for HTC devices.How would you like to install the SU binary?
    Normal
    TWRP/CWM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Did you go for the anti glare version?

Just the regular version.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I didnt spend all this money on a phone so i could touch it through plastic. I despise screen protectors and everything they stand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

I likewise am not a fan of plastic screen protectors so I went for the Spigen Glas.T Slim cover. The raised edge (especially at the top because of the pull-down notification bar) took a bit of getting use to but the protection along with the look and feel is second to none. There's also a version with a rounded edge but it's slightly thicker too.

As with other plastic protectors it won't be for everyone but I think it will certainly help any resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Got a HTC One over the weekend. So far so good, except I can't sync my phone to the radio in my car over bluetooth. Normally what used happen (with previous phones) was that when I turned on radio in car, if bluetooth was turned on a pairing request would be sent automatically.

This didn't happen with the One, and when I scan for devices, it (the radio) doesn't appear. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dulpit wrote: »
    Got a HTC One over the weekend. So far so good, except I can't sync my phone to the radio in my car over bluetooth. Normally what used happen (with previous phones) was that when I turned on radio in car, if bluetooth was turned on a pairing request would be sent automatically.

This didn't happen with the One, and when I scan for devices, it (the radio) doesn't appear. Any ideas?

make sure its visible to devices, there should be an option to check in the bluetooth settings

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

When sending a text and the screen goes off halfway through the message, when you unlock it again the message is gone. Any way to get it to save the message or have it there again once its unlocked? Its very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

When sending a text and the screen goes off halfway through the message, when you unlock it again the message is gone. Any way to get it to save the message or have it there again once its unlocked? Its very annoying!

Drafts.

This does not happen to me. Even if I am typing a text and then exit the app the text is saved as a draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im not talking about if i exit it, if im at work or get distracted halfway through a text and just leave the phone screen go off by itself, when i wake it the text will be gone. Or if im at work and lock the screen halfway through a text to avoid being caught the message doesnt get drafted either.

If i exit out of messaging halfway through a text it will save it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

listermint wrote: »
    make sure its visible to devices, there should be an option to check in the bluetooth settings

Already tried this, not sure what else I can do...

Advertisement