Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I hate asking this, but to save me trawling through oodles of posts, any must have apps? Some that people go "Damn, your phone can do what!?!"

Tasker is on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I hate asking this, but to save me trawling through oodles of posts, any must have apps? Some that people go "Damn, your phone can do what!?!"

Tasker is on the list.
    Hailo which is an app to arrange a taxi on the spot and is able to track your GPS location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Hailo which is an app to arrange a taxi on the spot and is able to track your GPS location.

Got it for when I yearly invade Dublin to Christmas shop, and double park the tractor, but I doubt it'll work well in Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

trev44 wrote: »
    has anyone rooted their device yet?

Thats my saturday planned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Anyone get the TV app to work on upc I've tried both the silver and black dvr receiver but neither would connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It has worked perfectly with everything I tried. But I haven't tried upc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

errlloyd wrote: »
    It has worked perfectly with everything I tried. But I haven't tried upc

What make is your upc receiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

syklops wrote: »
    Thats my saturday planned...

let us know how you get on.. ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I got this last week and its my first time using android been on ios the last 5 years,loving it so far cant see myself going back to iphone,ive one question in storage it says im using 24gb out of 32 music/apps/photos are 10gb but then it says theres 14gb being used by "other" and no other info what could using up 14g?

Im just coming back to this as i havent a clue but other storage is still taking 14GB and ive no idea why,is everybody else's like this?

Im just coming back to this as i havent a clue but other storage is still taking 14GB and ive no idea why,is everybody else's like this?

Got mine on Tuesday. After transferring stuff from my other phone my storage goes like this:

11.84 / 32.0 GB

Apps 550M
    Music 800M
    Photos 2.2G
    Downloads 73M
    Other 8G

Available 20GB

I tapped on "Make more space" and by deleting some old browser downloads created another gig in space. Not sure what other is, but Operating System probably takes up a couple of gigs. Add on stuff like, updates that have been downloaded and installed, but the update binary remains etc.
    trev44 wrote:

Will do.

Heres a question. What is with mobile phone alert jingles? If its not a single chord on a piano, or a little acoustic guitar riff, its a keyboard gloop-de-doop.

This phone rocks. Its a pity the sound alerts don't. Anyone found any sound profiles that doesn't sound like it was compiled by Pippa Pig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

has anyone rooted their device yet?

Ya running Trickdroid with the 4.2.2 update. Battery life seems much better and to be fair I didn't find it bad to begin with. The toggles are handy also.

Got sick of waiting for 3 to push through the updates.

Just rooted it there now. Very smooth. I used the instructions here and here

When unlocking the bootloader, everything gets wiped. If you are using HTC backup, please note it does not backup pictures or documents. Im back to using google for backing up thanks to the discovery of that 'feature'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Has anyones stock phone (not rooted) gotten the Android 4.2 update yet? It was released for unbranded phones, and mine is unbranded and unlocked from Meteor bill pay. Does it still have to go through Meteor before its released?

For those who have rooted, there's loads going on with the One at the mo....

Most main ROM's are updated to 4.2.2, am in the process of updating my mods to the new base.

Viper One initial alpha for testers on 4.2.2 base should drop today, so Viper for the One is just around the corner.

S-off for the One was also achieved yesterday. Very easy process but I don't really know what benefits it brings. We were able to upgrade to 4.2.2 base with no problems, and you can flash radio and kernel in recovery. It's great to be rid of the tampered message when you go into recovery though!

If you don't know what any of this means.....ignore!! :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    For those who have rooted, there's loads going on with the One at the mo....

Most main ROM's are updated to 4.2.2, am in the process of updating my mods to the new base.

Viper One initial alpha for testers on 4.2.2 base should drop today, so Viper for the One is just around the corner.

S-off for the One was also achieved yesterday. Very easy process but I don't really know what benefits it brings. We were able to upgrade to 4.2.2 base with no problems, and you can flash radio and kernel in recovery. It's great to be rid of the tampered message when you go into recovery though!

If you don't know what any of this means.....ignore!! :D

Whats the most stable rom? I dont really like cutting edge stuff because at the end of the day its my only phone and my only line of communication when I am out and about and Ive been stung with buggy roms in the past.

Whats the most stable rom? I dont really like cutting edge stuff because at the end of the day its my only phone and my only line of communication when I am out and about and Ive been stung with buggy roms in the past.

Without a doubt ARHD if you just want a stock ROM.

None of the other ROM's popular ROM's would have any bugs that would affect you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Can anybody help?Can't send multi media messages/mms,on lycamobile network.Wondering if it's network related or are my APN settings incomplete?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tomasis100

To all current and prospective HTC One buyers! If you want to show off with the design beauty of your phone and enjoy its scratch-free appearance for as long as possible, have some sense , and buy a full-body and/or screen protection!!!!!

Having had the phone for six weeks, the scratches on the screen and chipping coating on the body are just dismal and disappointing- no need to remind me how stupid I am for not having any protection, 16x16_smiley-happy.gif .Gorrila Glass 2 (or 3?) marketing hype seems a bit like a hype (it may protect from glass shattering when in fall but scratch prevention? -FORGET!) . I had a Nokia Lumia 800 for around a year and it's been through a LOT of abuse without any (i mean it) scratch on the screen (it fell a couple of times on the concrete/tarmac, went running with keys in the same pocket, fell between the metal parts of car seat, and so on). I don't work for any company selling the screen protectors, just giving anyone undecided or foolishly thinking "It won't happen to me" a good advice: protect your phone, otherwise it'll get scratched (checked online, and there doesn't seem to be a working cure for removal of touchscreen smartphone screen scratches).

Also, the aluminium body and it's supposed scratch-resistant/proof surface is, IMHO, an hyper-inflated over-statement. Has anybody seen a piece of aluminium cutlery or a pot used in kitchen for example (maybe not nowadays but popular a while ago)?? It' scratched like nothing you've seen before - there's an artwork of scratches present on the surface after a week of use. In case of my phone, it's been through a very unfortunate fall from a shallow pocket while getting out of the car at carpark: it fell and basically danced on the ground hitting three corners of its body in a quick succession- a stunt easily winning Britain's Got Talent final if filmed 16x16_smiley-happy.gif Result: chipping of black paint and exposing the silver aluminium layers beneath.

Ok, rant over. Was just trying to ventilate my frustration...... Once again, don't be stupid like me andcover that beauty so it stays pretty for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,923 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anybody recommend any good must have apps for a non rooted htc one ? Just got mine 2 days ago !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ULMarc

tomasis100 wrote: »
    To all current and prospective HTC One buyers! If you want to show off with the design beauty of your phone and enjoy its scratch-free appearance for as long as possible, have some sense , and buy a full-body and/or screen protection!!!!!

Having had the phone for six weeks, the scratches on the screen and chipping coating on the body are just dismal and disappointing- no need to remind me how stupid I am for not having any protection, 16x16_smiley-happy.gif .Gorrila Glass 2 (or 3?) marketing hype seems a bit like a hype (it may protect from glass shattering when in fall but scratch prevention? -FORGET!) . I had a Nokia Lumia 800 for around a year and it's been through a LOT of abuse without any (i mean it) scratch on the screen (it fell a couple of times on the concrete/tarmac, went running with keys in the same pocket, fell between the metal parts of car seat, and so on). I don't work for any company selling the screen protectors, just giving anyone undecided or foolishly thinking "It won't happen to me" a good advice: protect your phone, otherwise it'll get scratched (checked online, and there doesn't seem to be a working cure for removal of touchscreen smartphone screen scratches).

Also, the aluminium body and it's supposed scratch-resistant/proof surface is, IMHO, an hyper-inflated over-statement. Has anybody seen a piece of aluminium cutlery or a pot used in kitchen for example (maybe not nowadays but popular a while ago)?? It' scratched like nothing you've seen before - there's an artwork of scratches present on the surface after a week of use. In case of my phone, it's been through a very unfortunate fall from a shallow pocket while getting out of the car at carpark: it fell and basically danced on the ground hitting three corners of its body in a quick succession- a stunt easily winning Britain's Got Talent final if filmed 16x16_smiley-happy.gif Result: chipping of black paint and exposing the silver aluminium layers beneath.

Ok, rant over. Was just trying to ventilate my frustration...... Once again, don't be stupid like me andcover that beauty so it stays pretty for some time.

It sounds like it's holding up fairly OK the way your handling of it.

Anyway, keys won't scratch the glass. But sand or grit will. Make sure you're careful to not lay it down on a surface where there is a possibility of grit.And shake out your pockets if you were at the beach or anything.

The black version is the same aluminium with an anodized top layer. It's obviously prone to exposing the bare metal underneath as this material unlike the front glass, will be scratch by keys and coins. And it will wear through over time so you'll begin to see the aluminum show on the corners of the device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

tomasis100 wrote: »

Lol. 2 months in and zero issues. Human phone interface issue imo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

TT09 wrote: »
    Anyone get the TV app to work on upc I've tried both the silver and black dvr receiver but neither would connect.

Works fine with mine I have the black DVR one

Idleater wrote: »
    Lol. 2 months in and zero issues. Human phone interface issue imo.

Its a bit of a catch 22, because I bought a leather wallet thing for the phone and a screen protector to protect its screen and lovely brushed aluminium look, but I now I can't see the brushed aluminium because it is surrounded in leather. Also, the screen protector has a couple of small bubbles on it, and makes the screen look crap.

I think I might keep the leather wallet and use it when I am in formal wear, because I find suits are made of material that allow phones to hover a few milimetres above the surface and they glide effortlessly along. So anytime you sit down your phone glides silently out of your pocket and into the back of the couch/passenger seat/where ever you are sitting.

I'll look around for an every day case / holder which accentuates the brushed aluminium. I also want to install the mod which turns the HTC logo into a button, so a case which exposes it is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I'll look around for an every day case / holder which accentuates the brushed aluminium.

Can anyone recommend one ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 db1989

I am thinking of switching my network provider from vodafone to lycamobile and I was wondering is there anyone using the 29euro top per month with Lycamobile?? And is it as good as it sounds?? or is there any issues?? Also is it hard to keep your own number with lycamobile?

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend one ??

Not yet. I just ordered this one, which costs £3 GBP.

Although I've just noticed it covers the HTC button, but at least it seems the phone remains nice and thin and you can see it.

The one I bought already is here. It is quite elegant, more so if you have the black phone, and as I said would go well with a suit, but its a little out of place in my day to day combats and t-shirts.

I quite like the look of the otterbox, but again it covers the HTC button. Also at £30, im not going to risk it right at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bafled

I got this case and it's really nice and is great quality
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161020068463?redirect=mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

bafled wrote: »
    I got this case and it's really nice and is great quality
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161020068463?redirect=mobile

Looks nice and doesnt hide the phone too much......

Im guessing you use this with a Screen Protector then, any particular brand better than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bafled

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Looks nice and doesnt hide the phone too much......

Im guessing you use this with a Screen Protector then, any particular brand better than others?

I use a screen protector, have had expensive brands in the past and they weren't any better than most of the cheaper ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭irishgeo

whats the fuss over the htc button?

it doesnt appear to do anything on my phone?

Advertisement