Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness and Rollies - Off topic chat!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I agree with Pem - real life sucks!
    Ah no I never said that. I said Boooo to real life getting in the way of Drav posting :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

PaulieC wrote: »
    You need to pop to KC's in cork and get one of their Philly steaks - unbelievable.

Nice tasty steak, cheese, fried onions, salad, garlic and chips all in a pita with mayo - unbelievable!!

I get mangle from there any time I'm down (the da lives near Douglas)... Headed down on Sunday, no KC's for me so :(:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Vote yes on banana sandwiches!! Using wholemeal bread too, delicious and especially after a run/workout. And always with a pint of milk :D

Evening all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Vote yes on banana sandwiches!! Using wholemeal bread too, delicious and especially after a run/workout. And always with a pint of milk :D

Spot on good sir! you are correct about all of the above!!
    Evening all!

Evening bro - how are ya?
    Pembily wrote: »
    Ah no I never said that. I said Boooo to real life getting in the way of Drav posting :p

yeah - and I paraphrased!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

awec wrote: »
    I have to admit I am a fan of the oul banana sandwich. :)

Banana, peanut butter and mayo wrap...sure...it may "sound" awful, but it's amazeballs.

You know what else is amazeballs, me getting my visa for Canada, whoop!:D

Evening bro - how are ya?

yeah - and I paraphrased!!
    Doing good, thanks! Just reading part of a book, and browsing a bit. How are you?
    awec wrote: »
    I have to admit I am a fan of the oul banana sandwich. :)
    We have another one joining the ranks! Good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Panthro wrote: »

Nice. Congrats man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Niiiice! congrats!!
    Doing good, thanks! Just reading part of a book, and browsing a bit. How are you?

alright - fecking roasting here! but i have had coffee so i am happy!

Congrats to ya! I'd say yer relieved!
    alright - fecking roasting here! but i have had coffee so i am happy!
    Hot weather, hot beverage. Seems legit :D

Anyone here at the Stone Roses gig tonight? I had a look out the window to see a few thousand of the fans walking down the quays towards town. Good weather for it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Congrats on the visa, Panthro!

Banana and peanut butter is one of the most epic food combinations. I loves it. Yummy on good toasted bread, or in a smoothie!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Morning all..

Tis Friday and the bloody sunshine has gone.. WTF!! :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm greatfull for it. I was blinded when leaving my apt yesterday. This morning I walked out and was like:

"Praise the lord, I CAN SEEEE AGAIN!!!!!!!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Morning all, Friday morning to be precise :D

I got it into my head yesterday that I'd like to go live in the states for a year or two - anybody have any idea where to start looking for a job/apartment/visa etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Have you tried Usit? They generally do packages and such for under 30's.

They might have some info on it.

There's also a USA! USA! USA! board under the region forums.

here

Have you tried Usit? They generally do packages and such for under 30's.

They might have some info on it.

There's also a USA! USA! USA! board under the region forums.

here
    Cheers man - pipe dream really but got a bit of a fear yesterday that I'd really regret not living abroad, if only for a short while, at some stage in my life.

Work in IT though so there shouldn't be a shortage of jobs there in the U.S.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Morning all, Friday morning to be precise :D

I got it into my head yesterday that I'd like to go live in the states for a year or two - anybody have any idea where to start looking for a job/apartment/visa etc?

Tough job market out there at the moment, hundreds of candidates for every position. Your best bet is to get in with a company here and transfer out there.

Plus you only get 10 days holidays per year in the US remember and they generally work longer hours..

However if you're prepared to broaden your horizon and what you're willing to work at, look at building site work and manual labour, then you might pick up a job easier.

Don't you also play GAA? Many a useful contact to be made through GAAA clubs out there.

Tox

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Cheers man - pipe dream really but got a bit of a fear yesterday that I'd really regret not living abroad, if only for a short while, at some stage in my life.

Work in IT though so there shouldn't be a shortage of jobs there in the U.S.

i want to move to europe somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭oddman2

bluewolf wrote: »
    i want to move to europe somewhere

You're in luck - you're already living in Europe! :D

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Tough job market out there at the moment, hundreds of candidates for every position. Your best bet is to get in with a company here and transfer out there.

Plus you only get 10 days holidays per year in the US remember and they generally work longer hours..

However if you're prepared to broaden your horizon and what you're willing to work at, look at building site work and manual labour, then you might pick up a job easier.

Don't you also play GAA? Many a useful contact to be made through GAAA clubs out there.

Tox
    I do play GAA and I'd like to broaden my horizons but at the same time I'd consider myself very career driven - I want to progress in IT and work towards being a Network Engineer/System admin etc.

This is just an idea I've had, nothing concrete but just interested in how I could arrange it. In all likelyhood I'll stay where I am - although with your idea - I work for an American company but doubt they'd even listen to my request!

Long hours don't bother me if it's sunny when I finish and during my time off :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oddman2 wrote: »
    You're in luck - you're already living in Europe! :D

lol
    you know what i meant :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Going to see Arnocorps in the Roisin tonight, could a man be any happier?!
    From wiki:
    ArnoCorps is the world's first band to feature lyrics based exclusively on the films of Arnold Schwarzenegger, with particular emphasis on his action roles from the 1980s such as The Terminator, Predator and Total Recall, with many of the lyrics paralleling movie dialogue and plots, similar to The Misfits' lyrical focus on horror films and B-movies
    A tune for anyone that's interested Predetor

I do play GAA and I'd like to broaden my horizons but at the same time I'd consider myself very career driven - I want to progress in IT and work towards being a Network Engineer/System admin etc.

This is just an idea I've had, nothing concrete but just interested in how I could arrange it. In all likelyhood I'll stay where I am - although with your idea - I work for an American company but doubt they'd even listen to my request!

Long hours don't bother me if it's sunny when I finish and during my time off :)

Well what you do is keep an eye on positions open in the US based offices of the company you work for and apply for them. You'd be very surprised what may come of it.. 5-6 people from my office here have relocated to the US over the years and vice versa..

Are you regularly in contact with any of your US based counterparts? If so and you're on a friendly enough basis with them suss out any jobs coming up and make it known that you'd like to try living there for a few years.

You never know until you try. :)

yeah you'd be surprised what can happen once you just put it out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Im actually thinking of doing my masters in Germany, France or Canada.

I just really want to get out of Ireland again!

germany is great

apparently by the end of next year i will be able to:
    Can understand the main contents of complex texts on concrete and abstract topics; also understands specialized discussions in his/her own primary area of specialization. Can communicate so spontaneously and fluently that a normal conversation with native speakers is easily possible without a great deal of effort on either side. Can express him/herself on a wide range of topics in a clear and detailed manner, explain his/her position on a current issue and indicate the benefits and drawbacks of various options.
    that's b2, seems to be the level required to really live and work there
    it's annoying they dont do the b2.2 course intensively next summer or i'd be there by next july!

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

bluewolf wrote: »
    germany is great

apparently by the end of next year i will be able to:

that's b2, seems to be the level required to really live and work there
    it's annoying they dont do the b2.2 course intensively next summer or i'd be there by next july!

i think i need to start picking up German! I can speak a few words and that beauty of a sentence about the rear facing child hahaha!

I can speak French pretty well so id be covered in France and the french speaking part of Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ChtuluDawn

Going to see Arnocorps in the Roisin tonight, could a man be any happier?!
    From wiki:
    ArnoCorps is the world's first band to feature lyrics based exclusively on the films of Arnold Schwarzenegger, with particular emphasis on his action roles from the 1980s such as The Terminator, Predator and Total Recall, with many of the lyrics paralleling movie dialogue and plots, similar to The Misfits' lyrical focus on horror films and B-movies
    A tune for anyone that's interested Predetor

You should try Austrian Death Machine.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement