Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Jason Becker: not dead yet amazing documentary on one of the all time great guitar players who's guitar playing is cut short at the age of 20 by ALS.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sinister is on the Irish one now, worth a watch, last act is a bit silly but the first 45 mins or so are nicely creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I enjoyed the movie for the first 45 mins but found the ending unsatisfying. It was a bit like Jeepers Creepers in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My girlfriends boyfriend which is stand up by Mike Birbiglia is on US netflix now, well worth a watch, I usually don't watch stand up's more than once but I have watched this atleast 3 times and still find it hilarious. Watch sleepwalk with me a movie he wrote based off a book he wrote of the same name as well, good stuff.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    My girlfriends boyfriend which is stand up by Mike Birbiglia is on US netflix now, well worth a watch, I usually don't watch stand up's more than once but I have watched this atleast 3 times and still find it hilarious. Watch sleepwalk with me a movie he wrote based off a book he wrote of the same name as well, good stuff.

Gave Sleepwalk With Me a watch last week (on Canadian Flix). Really enjoyed it, so will definitely give this a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Watched Cowboys & Aliens on the Irish Netflix, it's got a great cast and I thought it was a fun movie. I also watched 50/50 which was pretty enjoyable, though a bit of a downer at some points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Jason Becker: not dead yet amazing documentary on one of the all time great guitar players who's guitar playing is cut short at the age of 20 by ALS.

Thanks for the heads up watched that last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

The excellent Moneyball is now on US netflix

Footoo wrote: »

Good watch that, Jonah Hill is surprisingly excellent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I have a new feature on my US Netflix called 'Play Max'. You rate a few titles and then he recommends something for you to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Footoo wrote: »

not available to stream, DVD rental only

not available to stream, DVD rental only

My bad. It has actually been added to Netflix Canada.

Apologies.

The Road is on the US one now, good watch but oh so depressing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

Watched that lastnight, thought it was brilliant. Ties in nicely with Sleepwalk With Me too. Very funny and pretty touching too, I love how much he puts himself out there in his material.

Watched a few others lately:

Rust & Bone: Really liked this. Marion Cotillard was deserving of all the praise she got for her performance. Even though the film has a gritty exterior it's quite a whimsical romance movie at it's core really and there are some parts that are a bit contrived and a little silly(
    the last 15 minutes felt like Rocky
    ), but the visuals and acting are so good that's really not a problem.

Your Sister's Sister: If you like Mark Duplass then you'll like this. It's a very simple rom-com/drama. Duplass, Emily Blunt and Rosemarie DeWitt are all great in their roles. Mike Birbiglia even pops up in a small cameo near the start. It's funny and engaging with a nice soundtrack, pretty much all I want from a film like this.

Smashed: I had never heard of this before but I gave it a look since the cast was pretty good. It includes Aaron Paul, Mary Elisabeth Winstead, Octavia Spencer and Nick Offerman from Parks & Rec. It's a comedy drama about a couple of alcoholics (Paul & Winstead), though it mainly focuses on Winstead and her struggle. It's a pretty short film so it glosses over a few things but overall its very well acted and honest film about addiction. It's also quite funny in places, Offerman's character is responsible for one of the most unexpected/wtf/creepy/laugh out loud moments I've seen in a while :D. Winstead is also really outstanding in this and I'm surprised this film flew under the radar so much since her performance was so good. Well worth a look. Pretty good soundtrack too.

Rust & Bone, Smashed & Your Sister's Sister are all only on Canadian flix, the mike Birbiglia stand-up My Girlfiend's Boyfriend though is on all of the Netflix regions including Ireland!

Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master has been added to the Brazilian and Mexican Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Fans of grim Scandi-noir will enjoy The Hunters (2006) and its sequel False Trail (2011) [aka The Hunters II], both on Netflix Ireland. Taken together they are equal to Borgen, The Killing. In particular, Peter Stormare gives a terrific performance in the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

underbelly great show

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master has been added to the Brazilian and Mexican Netflix.

Ya, it's such a shame though that that's the only netflix that doesn't allow you to remove subtitles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,228 ✭✭✭✭noodler

On the other end of the quality spectrum, The Tall Man is on there too. It's from the director of Martyrs, but don't let the prestige trick you. It's an absolute abomination of a film, but well worth a watch to see what happens when ambition and talent are put to such radically misjudged ends.

Couldn't disagree more.

There seems to be alot of reviews on that film that seem to argue that the social message it sends is wrong.

But its a film - it is not advocating what is on screen anymore than Kill Bill is advocating a revenge murder spree.

Wrong place for reviews but I wouldn't anyone being put off seeing this so they can make their own mind up - it won't be what you are expecting, that is one thing we can agree on.

noodler wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more.

There seems to be alot of reviews on that film that seem to argue that the social message it sends is wrong.

But its a film - it is not advocating what is on screen anymore than Kill Bill is advocating a revenge murder spree.

Wrong place for reviews but I wouldn't anyone being put off seeing this so they can make their own mind up - it won't be what you are expecting, that is one thing we can agree on.

The vast majority of the time a film is more than just a "film" and as such they will strive to do more than simply entertain. Cinema is a tool through which filmmakers can examine real world issues, values, morales, etc through a universal medium. The Tall Man has a very clear message that it wants to impart, the protection of children and parental responsiabiblty. But it's muddled and simplistic that it comes across as an afterthought and one that's so blunt that the film maker may aswell be hitting you with a brick across which the message is embossed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's no where near as good as Martyrs, but I didn't think The Tall Man was that bad. Ridiculous ending aside, it's a pretty wild and unpredictable ride. The message is poorly thought out and was obviously just tacked on to try and give meaning to what is basically an exercise in creative plotting. The film doesn't work but I still find it more memorable than many films that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just spotted Upstream Colour from Shane Carruth on Canadian flix. Think it's just been released over here in cinema.

sweetie wrote: »
    Just spotted Upstream Colour from Shane Carruth on Canadian flix. Think it's just been released over here in cinema.

watched it on US flix last week. the guy is an immense talent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

watched it on US flix last week. the guy is an immense talent

Yes, I must watch Primer now.

Whilst I enjoyed the movie, I felt it never really go going. Visually and aurally it was quite stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

Does everyone have the 'My List' feature now? I still only have it working on the app on my Iphone for regions other than the US. It had appeared on my Panasonic BluRay app but wouldn't let me add or remove anything from the list - only showed films I had added via the Iphone. Now it has disappeared altogether. I can't understand how it still isnt showing up on the desktop version or the Windows 8 app as it has for others.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Yes, it's on.

^^I only have it on my laptop. Doesn't show up on the smart tv or x-box.

First two seasons of Castle are on the Irish flix now, not an amazing show but very watchable, plus it's got Nathan Fillion in it ;)

Wes Anderson's Rushmore has also been added too. One of my all time favourite films.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    ^^I only have it on my laptop. Doesn't show up on the smart tv or x-box.

First two seasons of Castle are on the Irish flix now, not an amazing show but very watchable, plus it's got Nathan Fillion in it ;)

Wes Anderson's Rushmore has also been added too. One of my all time favourite films.

to irish flix? rushmore is in my top 10 and is number 1 for bad days!

to irish flix? rushmore is in my top 10 and is number 1 for bad days!

Yeah it's on Irish flix, saw it under recently Added earlier.

• Advertisement

There Will Be Blood and Requiem For A Dream are both on the US one now, for some reason Requiem is in 4:3 though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement