Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    Happy Valley is one of the best British tv shows in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Im looking for a new tv show too binge watch on Netflix after I spent the last few days watching all of Bates Motel season 4. Theres been a show Happy Valley added and I would just like too get a few posters thoughts on the show. Cheers.

Happy Valley is well worth a watch.

If you like cop drama type things Top of the Lake is excellent - setin New Zealand about a child protection cop trying to find a missing pregnant 12yr old. I watched a few eps of Hinterland which is set in Wales, it seemed quite good.

Person of Interest is probably my favourite series on Netflix for cop action/thriller procedural

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I was recommended a BBC2 police drama line of Duty through this thread a few months back, really enjoyed it and at 6 episodes per season you'll race through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭flazio

All 5 series of Being Human were put up recently.
    What happens when a vampire, a ghost and a werewolf get a flat together in Bristol?
    It stars Aiden Turner, him off Poldark and The Hobbit, Russell Tovey and Lenora Crichlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is happy valley on the Irish Netflix?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Is happy valley on the Irish Netflix?

The first series is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Ageyev wrote: »
    Happy Valley is well worth a watch.

If you like cop drama type things Top of the Lake is excellent - setin New Zealand about a child protection cop trying to find a missing pregnant 12yr old. I watched a few eps of Hinterland which is set in Wales, it seemed quite good.

Person of Interest is probably my favourite series on Netflix for cop action/thriller procedural

I despise procedurals

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

donfers wrote: »
    I despise procedurals
    'Person of Interest' starts out as a procedural but has developed far beyond that. It's nothing like CSI and it's far deeper with excellent characters, a deep and interesting premise that's developed, and a fantastic story arc. In its fifth season it's heading towards a proper conclusion. That's why it's not really a procedural because there's a proper story arc and philosophy behind it.

Person of Interest is Sci-Fi at it's very best for me I would class it as along the lines of Philip K. Dick story.

donfers wrote: »
    I despise procedurals

As said above, it only starts out as one before fleshing out a backstory with flashbacks and a 5-series long story arc mixed in with "Monster/Number-of-the-Week" style standalone episodes (in the vein of X-Files).

There are only 3 episodes of the fifth series which are airing now. It'd be a great series to get stuck into over the summer. Many people have slept on it.

It was produced by Christopher Nolan's brother and John Nolan makes an appearance as a recurring character later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Im looking for a new tv show too binge watch on Netflix after I spent the last few days watching all of Bates Motel season 4. Theres been a show Happy Valley added and I would just like too get a few posters thoughts on the show. Cheers.

A.D. kingdom and Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Ageyev wrote: »
    It was produced by Christopher Nolan's brother and John Nolan makes an appearance as a recurring character later on.

Is John Nolan the actor and John Nolan the producer, not two different people.

Jonathan Nolan
    http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/name/name/nm0634300/

John Nolan
    http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/name/name/nm0634297/

Sorry, on a phone so can't do the link thing.

Yeh, Jonathan Nolan is Christopher Nolan's brother, he also has written screenplays for some of Christopher Nolan's films. John Nolan is an aul lad who I think is their uncle. Great actor with a raspy John Hurt type voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New Bo Burnham stand-up special "Make Happy" is now on Netflix..

.. kinda a love-him-or-hate-him-type guy but he is very talented IMO!

EDIT: Very theatrical OTT show, but excellent!

I dunno.. the later seasons of Person of Interest got a bit loopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

They added a new Japanese original series yesterday, Hibana.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Twenty Twelve has disappeared from Irish Netflix?
    *weeps*

twenty twelve is back and so is W1A

Do not miss these, they are absolutely brilliant.

Tab Hunter Confidential a great Documentary and well worth an hour and half of your time if you have an interest in the history of Hollywood.

It's on all Netflix regions
    In the 1950s, Tab Hunter is number one at the box office and number one on the music charts. He is Hollywood's most sought-after star and America's boy next door. Natalie Wood, Debbie Reynolds and Sophia Loren are just a few of the actresses he is romantically linked to. Nothing, it seems, can damage his skyrocketing career. Nothing, that is, except for the fact that Tab Hunter is secretly gay. Now, Tab Hunter's secret is out. In TAB HUNTER CONFIDENTIAL we will meet, for the first time, the real Tab Hunter as he shares with us the whole story of a happy, healthy survivor of Hollywood's roller coaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

I somehow stumbled upon an hour long PBS documentary (when I should have went to bed!) called "Between The Folds" last night about Origami.
    The show was a big dated production wise, but it was mind blowing what these people can do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Watched x + y last night. Great film 8/10 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Breaking the Magicians Code has been added. It the 90's T.V. Special hosted by your man of X-Files, the baldy head of the FBI guy. I put it on and it looks a pirate VHS copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Breaking the Magicians Code has been added. It the 90's T.V. Special hosted by your man of X-Files, the baldy head of the FBI guy. I put it on and it looks a pirate VHS copy.

I remember that show! Mitch Pileggi is his name, more recently from Sons of Anarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Added to Netflix Ireland

Rules Of Attraction
    Dazed And Confused
    Double Indemnity

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dazed & Confused is always worth a rewatch, great summer movie :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Added to Netflix Ireland

Rules Of Attraction
    Dazed And Confused
    Double Indemnity

Dazed and confused is a great movie for these kind of days, I try to watch it every summer. It is a classic.

Rules of Attraction is also a really good watch, particularly for the connection between the lead character and Christian Bale in American Psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Dazed and confused is a great movie for these kind of days, I try to watch it every summer. It is a classic.

Rules of Attraction is also a really good watch, particularly for the connection between the lead character and Christian Bale in American Psycho.

I never watched Rules of Attraction when it first came out. Got pretty slated by the critics at the time as I remember but looks like a pretty good movie.

Breaking the Magicians code used to be on ITV during the mid 90s didn't it. Some great programmes on a Saturday afternoon at that time taken you all the way up till 9 o'clock... unlike now where X factor Britain's got talent are peoples idea of Saturday Night entertainment.

Was Bonnie McFarlane's comedy doc 'Women Aren't Funny' ever on Irish Netflix? I know it's on USA region but I've only got access to Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Rules of Attraction is really good, haven't seen it since it came out. I'm pretty sure it was well regard by critics at the time.

A million ways to die in the west, Netflix Ireland.

• Advertisement

Sorry this is off topic but does anyone know how or if I can rent a movie from the Apple Store on my iPad and try and watch it on a flat screen tv?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement