Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Separate threads for film & TV
    peteeeed wrote: »
    season 2 of the very pretentious but very good chef's table added today

These shows are visually stunning, the food looks like an amazing blend of art/ science and food!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Noggle

I'd like to see Fargo S2, The Bridge S3, Narcos S2 and True Detective S2 anyone think they'll ever appear on Irish Netflix, my US mates have seen them all also people who get to watch Regular TV have seen The Bridge and True Detective.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Noggle wrote: »
    I'd like to see Fargo S2, The Bridge S3, Narcos S2 and True Detective S2 anyone think they'll ever appear on Irish Netflix, my US mates have seen them all also people who get to watch Regular TV have seen The Bridge and True Detective.

True Detective won't be on Netflix as it's a HBO show and they don't deal with Netflix also SKY Atlantic have exclusive rights to HBO shows over here.

Narcos season 2 is being filmed at the moment so it won't be out for a while.

Fargo season 2 will arrive at some stage.

No Idea about The Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The Bridge (US) was cancelled after season 2, and Narcos season 2 hasn't been released yet, so I highly doubt your "US mates" have seen them. Also, True Detective is a HBO show, so it won't be available on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Noggle

The Bridge (US) was cancelled after season 2, and Narcos season 2 hasn't been released yet, so I highly doubt your "US mates" have seen them. Also, True Detective is a HBO show, so it won't be available on Netflix.

I meant the Scandi The Bridge, Fargo S.2..............wasn't sure about TD and I must have mistaken what the guys were telling me re: Narcos ..........

Whats the story about watching HBO in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I meant the Scandi The Bridge, Fargo S.2..............wasn't sure about TD and I must have mistaken what the guys were telling me re: Narcos ..........

Whats the story about watching HBO in Ireland?

HBO shows appear exlusively on Sky. Sky Atlantic afaik. In the US HBO is a premium channel sans ad breaks with its own streaming service called HBO Go (available only to US customers afaik). Few of their shows have appeared on streaming services. The Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones are some of their big ones.

Titanic & Dirty Rotten Scoundrels added to Netflix Ireland this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Why is there a cork on his fork?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Yay I love the Titanic, went to see it 3 times in the cinema when it came back in to celebrate the centenary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Narcos season 2 is being filmed at the moment so it won't be out for a while.

It is supposed to be released in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Detectorists added today staring Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones. Can anyone recommend it ? Looks like an interesting show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Detectorists added today staring Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones. Can anyone recommend it ? Looks like an interesting show.

its really good , there's a season 2 and a Christmas special too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I'm afraid I can't recommend it - shoddy production values, the least handsome leading men you'll ever find and a slow-moving script. As usual these kind of weird, non-descript shows are filed under "quirky" by the more euphemistic critics but avoid and go for something more stylish and glam like pretty little liars. You may not be the cool kid at the hipster party but you'll be entertained, damn it, and in these short meaningless lives of ours, what more, pray, can we ask for?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's brilliant, tv equivalent of a warm bath imo. Music, characters, writing, humour all top notch without the awkwardness of something like the office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's brilliant, tv equivalent of a warm bath imo. Music, characters, writing, humour all top notch without the awkwardness of something like the office.

but... would you not go along with my earlier post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

donfers wrote: »
    but... would you not go along with my earlier post?

Don't watch it because the men are ugly, watch Desperate Housewives: The Teen Years instead? Nah, I'm grand… Looking forward to the Dectectorists but that's because I have a fierce euphemistic critic hipster head on me. It looks Picasso's earlier work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭tigger123

Fargo S2 was massively overrated IMO, in fact I thought it was pretty awful.

(Apart from Kursten Dunst, who's a stone cold fox).

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

tigger123 wrote: »
    Fargo S2 was massively overrated IMO, in fact I thought it was pretty awful.

(Apart from Kursten Dunst, who's a stone cold fox).

I thought the second season was great up until the second to last episode or thereabouts with the introduction of
    the UFOs
    at the motel. Then I just about gave up. Got the impression the writers had no idea how to wrap it up.

Jean Smart and Bokeem Woodbine were great in there supporting roles.

I thought the second season was great up until the second to last episode or thereabouts with the introduction of
    the UFOs
    at the motel. Then I just about gave up. Got the impression the writers had no idea how to wrap it up.

Yep, I totally agree;
    the flying saucer was just ridiculous, but also the native American character that randomly turns on the family, and who's actions drive the second half of the season, had no motivation whatsoever. They narrator even referred to it.
    Totally let the whole thing down. Season 1 was amazing though.

Also, I watched a few episodes of True Detective Season 2 and abandoned it. Just wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the UFOs

100% agree

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yep, I totally agree;
    the flying saucer was just ridiculous, but also the native American character that randomly turns on the family, and who's actions drive the second half of the season, had no motivation whatsoever. They narrator even referred to it.
    Totally let the whole thing down. Season 1 was amazing though.

Also, I watched a few episodes of True Detective Season 2 and abandoned it. Just wasn't for me.

I liked the second series of Fargo, it had some great performances in it and the spoilered bits above felt to me to fit in with the theme of events going out of anyone's control such that the best they could do was to try and keep up. The main thing I thought was disappointed by was
    Kieran Culkin's character being killed off so quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fargo season two gave me lots of hope for the future of television. The thing was a formal marvel, full of incredibly well considered visual motifs, themes and flourishes - all, of course, tied to a twisting, deep narrative. It's one of the few series I've ever watched that felt like it could compete with great cinema. Particularly fascinating to watch the AV Club's 'polite fight' video series where they took deep dives into what made the show so special (ditto Better Call Saul) - if you want to see some brilliant, probing but accessible television criticism that's the place. I was so-so about the first series, but have nothing but unreserved praise for the second, and would easily put it in the upper echelons of all-time great television.

Also, it has an awesome Kumiko, The Treasure Hunter homage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I hated the Fargo film. Didn't see the first TV series. Loved the second one.
    UFO
    and all. For what it's worth.

Band of Robbers, a sort of modern day Huck Finn/Tom Sawyer added a few weeks ago, actually reminded me a little of Fargo S2.

I hated the Fargo film. Didn't see the first TV series. Loved the second one.
    UFO
    and all. For what it's worth.

Band of Robbers, a sort of modern day Huck Finn/Tom Sawyer added a few weeks ago, actually reminded me a little of Fargo S2.

What did you hate about the Fargo film do you mind me asking? I don't think I've ever come across someone who didn't enjoy it :)

What did you hate about the Fargo film do you mind me asking? I don't think I've ever come across someone who didn't enjoy it :)

Hate is probably too strong a word. I just found it very dull and boring. I had this discussion before and came to the conclusion that I'm just not a fan of the Coen Brothers. My favourite film of theirs is Intolerable Cruelty, which seems to be one most people are not fans of.

Hate is probably too strong a word. I just found it very dull and boring. I had this discussion before and came to the conclusion that I'm just not a fan of the Coen Brothers. My favourite film of theirs is Intolerable Cruelty, which seems to be one most people are not fans of.

Different strokes and all that.

If you enjoyed season 2 of the TV show, you'll love season 1, well worth it.

Different strokes and all that.

If you enjoyed season 2 of the TV show, you'll love season 1, well worth it.

It was purely the cast of S2 that made me watch it. I'd probably give S1 a go off the strength of it.

I read they've cast Ewan McGregor as two brothers for S3. Sounds interesting, and possibly needlessly complicated.

Burning Love is on the Irish Netflix, it's very funny. It's a spoof reality tv show produced by Ben Stiller. I think it was originally a web series and they've (for some strange reason) put all the separate episodes into one 3 hour long episode. If you watch it in 15 or 20 minute stints it works best.

Well recommended though, I'm on season 2.

The Martian has been added to Netflix Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Im looking for a new tv show too binge watch on Netflix after I spent the last few days watching all of Bates Motel season 4. Theres been a show Happy Valley added and I would just like too get a few posters thoughts on the show. Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement