Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I think the problem is people are hoping for the newest or the more popular movies i.e the previous poster mentioning that the last movie he noticed being added was Bad Neighbours which was two weeks back or thereabouts.

People sometimes tend to neglect the smaller independent movies or documentries like myself nearly missing out on tracks a movie which I would've missed not for Netflix or Mommy which was one of the best movies I've seen all year.

My problem is the rubbish that would previously be referred to as 'straight-to-video' rubbish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Sorry I just remember going through the comments section this time last year when some Frank Capra movies where added and someone referring to them as "more ****e" whereas a movie like Bad Neighbours was thought of as a great addition by the masses....... the latter being one of the worst movies I've seen last year. Sorry Rant over !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Separate threads for film & TV
    fin12 wrote: »
    Well there is nothing for me to watch at the moment, I'm not speaking for anyone else, Because there have been great things that I have watched in the past that's why it would be hard for me to leave. It's just annoying when I really do want to watch something go through the whole site and can't find anything to watch.

whats more annoying is that certain films don't ever show up in the selection presented to you.

I noticed that the comedy 'gung ho' with micheal keaton is available on netflix whe i saw it referenced on another website, but it never shows up in 'comedies' for me - I had to manually search for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Cartel Land has been added this week. It is an interesting documentary, showing vigilantes on both sides of the US / Mexican border try to take back some of the control, and explores some of the reasons why they do it.
    It might lack a little on facts, but it will blow your mind the access to weapons these people have!! Worth a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

http://vodzilla.co/blog/coming-soon-to-netflix/whats-coming-soon-to-netflix-uk-in-june-2016/

Usually there's a couple of last minute removals from this list but some decent looking stuff coming like The Detectorists, The Fundamentals of Caring, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Guardians of the Galaxy, 30 Days of Night, The Rules of Attraction, The Resurrection of Jake The Snake Roberts, Rise of the Guardians and Dazed and Confused.

Orange is the New Black season 4 will be coming but the last season was so poor I don't know how bothered I'll be with the new one.

I know it's a television series but I really enjoyed Cuckoo - the first season in particular. The jokes are pretty obvious and you can see everything coming a mile away but the cast are great in it and really make it come to life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Diary of a Teenage Girl is supposed to be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

http://vodzilla.co/blog/coming-soon-to-netflix/whats-coming-soon-to-netflix-uk-in-june-2016/

Usually there's a couple of last minute removals from this list but some decent looking stuff coming like The Detectorists, The Fundamentals of Caring, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Guardians of the Galaxy, 30 Days of Night, The Rules of Attraction, The Resurrection of Jake The Snake Roberts, Rise of the Guardians and Dazed and Confused.

Orange is the New Black season 4 will be coming but the last season was so poor I don't know how bothered I'll be with the new one.

I know it's a television series but I really enjoyed Cuckoo - the first season in particular. The jokes are pretty obvious and you can see everything coming a mile away but the cast are great in it and really make it come to life.

some gold in there and a lot of sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Diary of a Teenage Girl is supposed to be really good.

Yeah, looking forward to that as well.

Netflix won't be complete though until they bring back the Regular Show. I was disgusted when that got removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

season 2 of the very pretentious but very good chef's table added today

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Detectorists is brilliant, already watched season 1 before they started blocking the regional workarounds though, hopefully season 2 won't be too far behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭tigger123

gucci wrote: »
    Cartel Land has been added this week. It is an interesting documentary, showing vigilantes on both sides of the US / Mexican border try to take back some of the control, and explores some of the reasons why they do it.
    It might lack a little on facts, but it will blow your mind the access to weapons these people have!! Worth a watch

Would recommend it too, it's a really interesting watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Honestly for me at the moment there is nothing, I have gone to my own dvd collection to watch stuff now in the evening, it's gone terrible. Was the last film they added bad neighbours that was like 2 or 3 weeks ago. It's crap when ur paying for a service and there is literally nothing to watch.

As far as I can see, Netflix isn't for well-known new films mostly. They get them as often as RTÉ or any non-premium Sky Movies channel would show them.

It's for original programming, a library of TV shows, a library of independent movies (many of which are very good, not "direct-to-DVD" stuff just because you don't recognize them........there's lots of films I've really enjoyed on there. Try Blue Ruin, The One I Love, Hush and He Never Died off the top of my head if you haven't.) with a small selection of well-known films (which is weak at the current moment).

If you only want to watch newer big films and not any TV shows at all, cancel it and start renting them through iTunes or Google Play instead.

In fairness to Netflix, I would wonder whether the rights' holders/distributors are to blame for the lack of movies in certain countries. If you look at the US one, it's insane how big it is in comparison. What you're not seeing in the background is very likely a huge battle of license agreements and geolocation disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

In fairness to Netflix, I would wonder whether the rights' holders/distributors are to blame for the lack of movies in certain countries. If you look at the US one, it's insane how big it is in comparison. What you're not seeing in the background is very likely a huge battle of license agreements and geolocation disputes.

The US one isn't that great for movies at all actually. It has a vast library of TV shows past and present but it lacks for classic or well-known movies. Lots of other countries have vastly better movie selections but much worse TV selections. It's very complex, indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, I think Netflix is shifting away from films towards tv shows. They'll still spend big on recent blockbusters that will look impressive on the front page, but they've learned that TV shows are better value and will pull in more views. Someone who is 2 season into x binge watch show is less likely to cancel their subscription. They'll also probably watch it to the end even if everything after season 2 sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

June seems decent Titanic, Requiem for a Dream, dazed and confused, Children of Men and I'm hoping its De Palmas Blow Out. http://vodzilla.co/blog/coming-soon-to-netflix/whats-coming-soon-to-netflix-uk-in-june-2016/

Well, I think Netflix is shifting away from films towards tv shows. They'll still spend big on recent blockbusters that will look impressive on the front page, but they've learned that TV shows are better value and will pull in more views. Someone who is 2 season into x binge watch show is less likely to cancel their subscription. They'll also probably watch it to the end even if everything after season 2 sucks.

Don't know about others but my interest in Netflix's TV series and TV series in general, has waned. I've little interest in the new OITNB, didn't finish the recent House of Cards or Orphan Black and I was initially engrossed by these. Person of Interest is the only TV series I'm fully committed to atm and Netflix fudged adding series 4 where it was announced but never arrived

Now, Blow Out is a very welcome addition, a solid thriller, perhaps one of De Palma's finest - and one of Tarrantino's top 3 favourite films - even though I have it on DVD and have seen it a few times...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

whats more annoying is that certain films don't ever show up in the selection presented to you.

I noticed that the comedy 'gung ho' with micheal keaton is available on netflix whe i saw it referenced on another website, but it never shows up in 'comedies' for me - I had to manually search for it.

Is that film good? , I really like Micheal Keaton, did u see the film where he becomes a stay at home dad that's a pretty good comedy, saw it on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is that film good? , I really like Micheal Keaton, did u see the film where he becomes a stay at home dad that's a pretty good comedy, saw it on Netflix.

Yeah, I liked it, the whole Japanese not understanding Americans thing is a bit overdone now, but there are far worse ways of spending an hour and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Just noticed the original series of The Killing has reappeared on Irish Flix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Just noticed the original series of The Killing has reappeared on Irish Flix

Sadly still no season 3 in any region, don't think its ever going to happen:(

Watching new Adam Sandler film, can't really make much sense of it,

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Sadly still no season 3 in any region, don't think its ever going to happen:(

I watched the first two series on Netflix about 3 years ago. Had to find the third series elsewhere as there's been no sign of it; could be a rights issue to due with BBC as they were airing it but who knows. I was chuffed to see Netflix brought Danish TV show Rita and a spin-off back to life but seems there's no chance of Forbrydelsen 3. FWIW its only really the first one that is really good, the second got silly imo. The US remake was alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can't believe what I'm seeing and hearing, an Adam Sandler movie that's not absolute garbage.

Not brilliant by any stretch but far closer to his older films than his output the last few years has been.

Pretty solid for Netflix when you can genuinely say 'his best film in years'.

Yay Happy again with Netflix, started watching the new to show A.D Kingdom and Empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Just finished watching ' A Girl Like Her' ...... wow!

Brilliantly composed documentary style film about the reality of bullying not only for the victim but the bully themselves. Really touching and emotional movie - I very rarely get teary after a movie but this really moved me perhaps because of the similarities with my own life experiences.

Highly recommended this movie - I could see this movie being used as an educational resource when it comes to anti-bullying discussions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I really liked Blue Ruin when I watched it a while back: very gritty, very dark, well worth it. It's by the guy who did Green Room, which is in the cinemas at the moment.

Just finished watching ' A Girl Like Her' ...... wow!

Brilliantly composed documentary style film about the reality of bullying not only for the victim but the bully themselves. Really touching and emotional movie - I very rarely get teary after a movie but this really moved me perhaps because of the similarities with my own life experiences.

Highly recommended this movie - I could see this movie being used as an educational resource when it comes to anti-bullying discussions!

Thanks for recommending this, such a powerful show,
    I actually thought it was real, like the footage was real, i thought one of the saddest parts was when the bully actually realized what she had done

This film should be shown in every school in the country, I don't know how someone could bully someone or continue to bully someone after seeing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Thanks for recommending this, such a powerful show,
    I actually thought it was real, like the footage was real, i thought one of the saddest parts was when the bully actually realized what she had done

This film should be shown in every school in the country, I don't know how someone could bully someone or continue to bully someone after seeing that.

Regarding the spoiler, I myself thought the same and I had to pause the movie midway and do a quick google search.

Credit to the producers of this film. Low budget film with young actors/actresses but the acting was incredible. Those kids have a bright future ahead of them especially the bully character. Glad you took upon my recommendation - this seriously needs to be shown in every school!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I can't believe what I'm seeing and hearing, an Adam Sandler movie that's not absolute garbage.

Not brilliant by any stretch but far closer to his older films than his output the last few years has been.

Pretty solid for Netflix when you can genuinely say 'his best film in years'.
    Have you seen The Cobbler or Men, Women & Children, both from 2014? The Do-Over wasn't terrible, but I found both of those to be better films.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement