Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

The problem with that site is that they don't update it, so it lists loads of stuff that isn't on Netflix anymore.

actually yeah you're right i forgot i did notice missing stuff after searching for it on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hollywood Treasure (US Netflix) I usually hate reality shows but this is about people who find rare movie collectibles and auction them off, the episode I watched they went to Frank Darabonts private collection of stuff from his movies and found props like the electric chair from the Green Mile, Andy's rock hammers from Shawshank and loads of vintage posters, worth a look just to drool over the stuff they find at fairs and in storage, like a screen used Rocketeer helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

On US Netflix. Billy Wilder picture from 1951 (big flop at the time so something of a lost classic), though more towards the 'Sunset Boulevard/Double Indemnity' end of things than 'Some Like it Hot'.
    Kirk Douglas as a disgraced journalist stuck in New Mexico who finds a man trapped by a cave-in and exploits the situation for all he can. Parodied somewhat in the Timmy-O'Toole-down-the-well ("aaaaaall the way down") episode of the Simpsons. Bitter, cynical, acerbic, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

elWizard wrote: »
    On US Netflix. Billy Wilder picture from 1951 (big flop at the time so something of a lost classic), though more towards the 'Sunset Boulevard/Double Indemnity' end of things than 'Some Like it Hot'.
    Kirk Douglas as a disgraced journalist stuck in New Mexico who finds a man trapped by a cave-in and exploits the situation for all he can. Parodied somewhat in the Timmy-O'Toole-down-the-well ("aaaaaall the way down") episode of the Simpsons. Bitter, cynical, acerbic, brilliant.

Cheers for the heads up, love Wilder's stuff but haven't seen this one, will give it a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

krudler wrote: »
    Hollywood Treasure (US Netflix) I usually hate reality shows but this is about people who find rare movie collectibles and auction them off, the episode I watched they went to Frank Darabonts private collection of stuff from his movies and found props like the electric chair from the Green Mile, Andy's rock hammers from Shawshank and loads of vintage posters, worth a look just to drool over the stuff they find at fairs and in storage, like a screen used Rocketeer helmet.

What a suggestion! Its such a great show that isnt littered with day to day drawn out bullhsit that usually incases these kind of shows. Definitely a great watch. Cheers krudler. :D

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    What a suggestion! Its such a great show that isnt littered with day to day drawn out bullhsit that usually incases these kind of shows. Definitely a great watch. Cheers krudler. :D

the episode where they go to ComicCon is cool, getting Stan Lee to authenticate one of his own works from decades earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

krudler wrote: »
    the episode where they go to ComicCon is cool, getting Stan Lee to authenticate one of his own works from decades earlier

Yeah that was pretty great. I couldnt believe that heath ledger joker model! :eek:

CMpunked wrote: »
    Yeah that was pretty great. I couldnt believe that heath ledger joker model! :eek:

watch the Stan Winston episode, just to see the full size Ironmonger suit and the big robot suit from Avatar, droooool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Anyone know what the craic with the site is (down for me tonight)? Any report of scheduled maintenance or suchlike?

elWizard wrote: »

Watched this last night, excellent film, can see why it wasn't popular in the America of the early 50s, Douglas was fantastic as the scumbag reporter and it had some great set pieces at the mine site, I loved the occasional glances at the sign as the entrance fee went up from 25 cents to a dollar! Thankfully close, corrupt relations between journalists and coppers are a thing of the past now :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Thankfully close, corrupt relations between journalists and coppers are a thing of the past now :D.

Yeah thank goodness prescient films like this were made back then otherwise who knows what the Media would be like by now :rolleyes:

Glad you liked it - Douglas' performance is immense!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

For anyone who's been meaning to get into Lost, all six seasons of the show have just been added to the Irish Netflix catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭lauraww

anybody else annoyed that not much was added to netflix ireland yesterday?i was expecting alot of stuff to be added,not one horror was added,just another few stupide movies,ok, lost was added but if they can add that then why not the x files or goosebumps Etc

lauraww wrote: »
    anybody else annoyed that not much was added to netflix ireland yesterday?i was expecting alot of stuff to be added,not one horror was added,just another few stupide movies,ok, lost was added but if they can add that then why not the x files or goosebumps Etc

Just seen that Ghost World, Glengarry Glen Ross, Single White Female and Bridge On The River Kwai have been added over the last 2 days , all great great films so I'm not complaining.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd love a wider variety of foreign films on both the US and Irish ones, to be honest. Quite a restrictive selection, despite a number of gems on both. To me VOD is the best method to distribute offbeat and obscure foreign films that won't justify a full commercial release. And while there's certainly a number of smaller Korean and Chinese films hidden in the US one, there's only a limited selection of foreign classics or hidden gems on there.

Not complaining entirely: there's still enough on there to justify a continued subscription, and the handful of Criterion releases on there are welcome (even if they're usually not HD, but that's understandable given the Criterion business model). Still: they're constantly adding American stuff, and there's very rarely any foreign additions.

Watched "The Bridge On The River Kwai" last night, fantastic and fantastic looking film, with great performances especially from Guinness and Holden. No one has ever made better looking, epic films than Lean.

I've started changing to and from the Irish and US one weekly now just to get a more varied selection, I find the US one has better tv shows, standup, and more foreign movies and documentaries, but the Irish one has a nice selection of stuff I would have owned on dvd previously or things I'd watch on a whim that I've seen before.

its mad how Father Ted is on the US one but not the Irish one..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Watched Joint Security Area on Irish netflix there last week. Its an early one from Chan-Wook Park (Oldboy) and features those other two Korean cinema mainstays Byung-hung Lee and Kang-ho Song.

It seemed to have been marketed as more of an actin movie/thriller but its actually quite an intense drama about friendship/brotherhood, as well as a bit of a murder mystery. I really liked it though its not as out there as Park's later films in terms of content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Nobody watching Netflix anymore?,anyway Thor is available on it now just watched it yesterday and its not bad :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

THe Rum Diary has been added to the US one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I haven't been watching as many films recently as I've grown ludicrously addicted to Battlestar Galactica (which, dare I suggest as a long-time sci-fi TV cynic, tops even Firefly). I've seen a few gems recently, plus some other ones I've seen are on there and would recommend heartily from past experience:

Nobody Knows - Kore-eda-san's best film. A subtle, thoughtful film about a group of kids left alone in the city when their mothers abandon them. Still Walking, his second best film and likeable Ozu-homage, is on there too. (both U.S.)

Last Train Home - If I persuade even one person to watch this, then my job here is done :pac: The most brilliant documentary I've seen in years, without a shadow of a doubt. Stunning stuff about the massive human migration that takes place in China every New Year. Grand in scope but intimate in focus. (Ireland and U.S.)

Treeless Mountain - saw this endearing Korean pic in the IFI a few years ago, and it's well worth a watch for fans of sedate film-making that is in no rush to get anywhere fast. Would make for an interesting double-bill with Nobody Knows (U.S.)

Collapse - Interesting little documentary, entirely focused on the thoughts of conspiracy theorist Michael Ruppert. A fascinating portrait of a desperate, lonely man. And despite the extreme, militant nature of his rhetoric, that on some level he's actually sort of right makes it all the more engaging (Ireland).

Y Tu Mama Tambien - amongst the most effortlessly sexy, hip films I've ever seen. Fantastic stuff. (US and Irl)

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - extraordinarily grim yet immensely powerful viewing about Eastern European backstreet abortions. Fun for the whole family. (U.S.)

Battleship Potemkin / Metropolis / Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - what better way to spend an evening then with a trio of silent classics! (U.S.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

13 Assassins is very good if you like samurai battles, some of the stuff in it is disturbing though.

I haven't been watching as many films recently as I've grown ludicrously addicted to Battlestar Galactica (which, dare I suggest as a long-time sci-fi TV cynic, tops even Firefly). I've seen a few gems recently, plus some other ones I've seen are on there and would recommend heartily from past experience:

Been plowing through that myself, wouldn't say it tops Firefly yet anyway, although I'm only starting on Season 2, which I've been told is fantastic.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Been plowing through that myself, wouldn't say it tops Firefly yet anyway, although I'm only starting on Season 2, which I've been told is fantastic.

Yeah I'm on the season 2 finale: the first few episodes of season two are definitely the ones where it goes from 'rather decent' to 'just one more episode...'. And then it's two or three hours later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Watched rum diary last night, really good

Yeah I'm on the season 2 finale: the first few episodes of season two are definitely the ones where it goes from 'rather decent' to 'just one more episode...'. And then it's two or three hours later :pac:

the beginning of season 3 will blow your mind

edit: actually no its episodes 3 and 4 of season 3, amazing stuff.

shortys94 wrote: »
    Watched rum diary last night, really good

Actually watched it last week and thought it was very poor, apart from a few very funny parts the whole thing was, well, pointless, didn't go anywhere and I lost interest about 2/3 rds of the way through, the local rich bloke story line reminded me of a bad (weren't they all!) episode of Magnum PI. To answer a question a few posts back I love Netflix and watch stuff on it every night or two , would especially recommend Gainsbourg, the biopic (with some added surreal twists) of the French singer, its pretty much one really hot girl after another! Great film.

Yeah thought the Rum Diary was junk too. I had to leave the cinema around fifteen minutes before the end (time constraints rather than boredom) but frankly couldn't care less what I missed. Has all the flair of one of those British soap opera episodes where they go to a holiday resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

You could do worse than checking out a show called Terriers on Netflix US, its a private-eye drama/comedy set in San Diego and starring Donal Logue as a former alcoholic cop who along with his former criminal sidekick get up to some crazy capers. I know that makes it sound sh1t but it's a really good show and very entertaining.

Just finished The Killing series 1 also, but i suppose that would be really well known anyway. If you haven't seen it watch it, fantastic show.

• Advertisement

Just finished The Killing series 1 also, but i suppose that would be really well known anyway. If you haven't seen it watch it, fantastic show.

It ain't on Netflix, but make sure you watch the original Danish version of the show (I'm assuming you're talking about the US one here: apologies if not), aka Forbrydelsen, which consists of thirty of the most intelligent, entertaining hours of television you'll ever watch. I've only seen the original but I've heard the American version is vastly inferior. But the original two series ain't on Netflix, which is a real shame :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement