Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

^ I loved it, but maybe it's that it was my first Von Trier film - or I'm a miserable git.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Into The Abyss a great docu about capital punishment by the genius Werner Herzog is on it from today.
    Melancholia on it now, worth seeing for Dunst' performance.

Sweet, these the Irish or US? US I'm presuming....

US, I just think of it all as Netflix, takes 30 sec to switch between on ps3

keith16 wrote: »
    sillo wrote: »
    Aw c'mon, she's super in that movie.

Ah no you are right, she is great in it, but for me the movie just isn't that good. Maybe it's my extreme dislike for Lars Von Trier and everything he puts his hand too :pac:

I hate majority of his stuff too, but this one is worth watching.

Watched "John Rabe" last night, an excellent German film about the industrialist who helped set up a safe zone during the "Nanking Massacre" by the Japanese in 1937, its estimated that 200,000 Chinese lives were saved by his and a few others actions, the irony was that he was a member of the Nazi party but a good man nonetheless (he died in poverty in Berlin in 1950), the lead actor is great with a good (if out of character) performance by Steve Buscemi as an American doctor, the sets and cinematography are really good, recommended.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Watched BBC's Sherlock the last few nights, essentially three seperate modern day sherlock holmes movies. I thought it was brilliant, Benedict Cumberbatch was born to play Holmes. Can't wait to see season 2. I think
    Moriarty might be a bit miscast though, probably too soon to tell. I like how they make you think Mycroft is him in the first episode though, completely threw me off!

Also started on Carl Sagan's (yea I know its not a movie, sorry :)) Cosmos and its utterly amazing.

• Advertisement

Watched BBC's Sherlock the last few nights, essentially three seperate modern day sherlock holmes movies. I thought it was brilliant, Benedict Cumberbatch was born to play Holmes. Can't wait to see season 2. I think
    Moriarty might be a bit miscast though, probably too soon to tell. I like how they make you think Mycroft is him in the first episode though, completely threw me off!

Also started on Carl Sagan's (yea I know its not a movie, sorry :)) Cosmos and its utterly amazing.

Used to watch that as a kid (and bought it a few years ago on DVD) , it really got me into astronomy and an interest in science and rationalism, pity Carl Sagan died relatively young, always came across as a decent and humane bloke. Even if a good bit of the info is a bit out of date, the basic tenets of what he says still stand.

Ps You should check out Contact if you haven't seen it, excellent realistic sci fi (at least the science behind it) based on Sagan's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Went on to start watching Breaking Bad tonight, and discovered that the S1 E1 that was there a month ago is not there any more but starts from Episode 2.

Anyone any idea what that's all about?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Used to watch that as a kid (and bought it a few years ago on DVD) , it really got me into astronomy and an interest in science and rationalism, pity Carl Sagan died relatively young, always came across as a decent and humane bloke. Even if a good bit of the info is a bit out of date, the basic tenets of what he says still stand.

Ps You should check out Contact if you haven't seen it, excellent realistic sci fi (at least the science behind it) based on Sagan's book.

I saw Contact when it first came out and loved it, before I knew anything about Sagan, I must re-watch it now. I read The Demon Haunted World last year and really liked it. Did you hear they're sort of re-making Cosmos with Neil Degrasse Tyson instead of Carl Sagan? Professor Brian Cox's shows are great too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

murpho999 wrote: »
    Went on to start watching Breaking Bad tonight, and discovered that the S1 E1 that was there a month ago is not there any more but starts from Episode 2.

Anyone any idea what that's all about?

I have seen this alot. Also heard two reasons as to why you see episodes missing from tv shows.

1, there was music used in the episode that causes a copyright.
    2, "this episode is disk-only" in order to make you buy the dvd set.

Honestly, I dont know which one it is. Second sounds more likely tho :confused:

Anyone else having trouble getting into netflix on x-box live at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have seen this alot. Also heard two reasons as to why you see episodes missing from tv shows.

1, there was music used in the episode that causes a copyright.
    2, "this episode is disk-only" in order to make you buy the dvd set.

Honestly, I dont know which one it is. Second sounds more likely tho :confused:

Thanks, strange thing is that it's only 1 episode, the very first one, which is kind of important so make the rest of the series less likely to be watched!

I saw Contact when it first came out and loved it, before I knew anything about Sagan, I must re-watch it now. I read The Demon Haunted World last year and really liked it. Did you hear they're sort of re-making Cosmos with Neil Degrasse Tyson instead of Carl Sagan? Professor Brian Cox's shows are great too!

Don't know the Tyson guy but it would be hard to match the sheer sense of wonder and awe of the universe that Sagan conveyed, I'll give it a watch though. Also Cosmos was the first big scale attempt to make a popular but intelligent tv programme about that subject, before that such shows were very dry and academic.

Don't know the Tyson guy but it would be hard to match the sheer sense of wonder and awe of the universe that Sagan conveyed, I'll give it a watch though. Also Cosmos was the first big scale attempt to make a popular but intelligent tv programme about that subject, before that such shows were very dry and academic.

He's an interesting guy, I think Brian Cox might have been better but he's already got his Wonders series.

As you said, I'm not sure he'll convey the wonder and awe like Sagan did, there's plenty of his lectures and such on youtube though, worth a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd much rather see tyson do it, seen many lectures/speeches/whatever by him and he's very interesting and can be funny as hell. for whatever reason I just can't warm to brian cox, chap just annoys me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All 13 parts of Carl Sagan's Cosmos series are on US Netflix. The visual effects have aged but Sagan's awe and enthusiasm are as infectious as ever. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's essential viewing. Brian Cox and a dozen Discovery series have tried to copy Sagan, but none of them come close matching his passion and ability to explain complex things in layman's terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Carl sagan wrote:
    If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

you'd know the man smoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Being Elmo-Documentary on the man behind Sesame Street's Elmo, decent enough watch, nothing special really.

Ip Man-Martial Arts movie set in WW2 China about the man who trained Bruce Lee. Starts off a little like a comedy, pretty slaptstick and light-hearted, then the war starts and the mood shifts completely. Not a bad film if you're into your Martial Arts and don't like the Japanese :pac:

Night Catches Us-Set in the 70's after the Black Panther movement went tits up. Bit of a slow burning character study. Great soundtrack.

Buck- Documentary about the "real life horse whisperer", does exactly what it says on the tin really. Not Bad.

Radio- Cuba Gooding Jr. and Ed Harris star in this sh1tfest. I don't even know why i watched it, i knew it'd be utter shite.

All on U.S Netlix

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

Pulling John
    Documentary on the arm wrestling very good.

One of my faves on it recently, I'm sure you all seen it at this stage: Donnie Darko, great sci fi/fantasy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hope it's not that bastard director's cut: a re-edit so bad it actually made me seriously re-evaluate the original! As a teen, I loved the film, watched it endlessly and it really helped inspire me to expand my taste in cinema, so I'll always have a very specific affection towards it. But then Richard Kelly's next films happened, and I really am unsure how much of a fluke that first cut of Donnie Darko was. Apparently many of the great music cues and welcome narrative ambiguities were never Kelly's intention: thank **** he never got the budget he wanted!

• Advertisement

Hope it's not that bastard director's cut: a re-edit so bad it actually made me seriously re-evaluate the original! As a teen, I loved the film, watched it endlessly and it really helped inspire me to expand my taste in cinema, so I'll always have a very specific affection towards it. But then Richard Kelly's next films happened, and I really am unsure how much of a fluke that first cut of Donnie Darko was. Apparently many of the great music cues and welcome narrative ambiguities were never Kelly's intention: thank **** he never got the budget he wanted!

Yeah that re-edit is bollox, the film as it was originally released is great though, haven't watched it on Flix as I have both versions on DVD (second one given to me) so don't know which one they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Overall I am disappointed with the lack of new movies on netflix. But I did watch all of warehouse 13 on netflix and was pleasantly surprised started out a bit silly but it gets so much better a good combination of sci-fi/detective and comedy shows rolled into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

For anyone who used to watch the WWF/WCW back in the 90s and remember Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, they had a massive real life hatred which became the first real backstage feud that is a fascinating story.
    Last year wwe finally got both men to sit down and tell the tale for the first time together and its quite an interesting watch even for anyone who never watched wrestling or has little to no interest in it.

WWE's Greatest Rivalries: Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CMpunked wrote: »
    For anyone who used to watch the WWF/WCW back in the 90s and remember Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, they had a massive real life hatred which became the first real backstage feud that is a fascinating story.
    Last year wwe finally got both men to sit down and tell the tale for the first time together and its quite an interesting watch even for anyone who never watched wrestling or has little to no interest in it.

WWE's Greatest Rivalries: Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart

Wrestling With Shadows is well worth a watch we well, I've shown that to people with zero interest in wrestling who loved it. or Beyond The Mat, which are all on the US netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Frontline: The Suicide Tourist

Five months after being diagnosed with ALS, Craig Ewert arrived in Switzerland for his scheduled suicide. A story about struggling
    to live ... and deciding when to die.

Barely an hour, this documentary deals with uncomfortable subject matter but is compelling none the less. Its more about ones man life and his decision to end it rather than the morality of assisted suicide. As said its a compelling watch, not in a voyeuristic way, but in a way that helps understand how some at least make the decision and reminds us all of how fragile life is.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

I saw a great film called the Business of Strangers. Julia Styles and Stockard Channing prove their worth

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

In The Loop
    A really funny political satire about a government minister who gets caught up in the build to a UK/US war in the middle east. It's on the US netflix.

mgsrocks wrote: »
    In The Loop
    A really funny political satire about a government minister who gets caught up in the build to a UK/US war in the middle east. It's on the US netflix.

One of the funniest films of the last few years imho. Its the movie version of a sitcom called The Thick of It which can be found on the Irish Netflix catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Watched "Restrepo" today.
    A documentary about the US army in Afghanistan and what they go through on a daily basis and how they deal with losing their friends in battle. I'd highly recommend it.

Gonna watch a film on Netflix tonight and I can't decide which one.....either "Memento" or "The big lebowski"

I've never seen either of them! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

both!

watched gommorah great italian gangster film

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement