Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    padraig if your with eircom mabye but if with others I doubt it. to switch to fibre its an actual physical thing, hence visit to the home. the line at the old cabinet is ceased and then connected to the adsl cabinet, which begs the question what are they going to do with the old redundant copper line all the way back to the exchange. Is copper not very expensive?

as for speeds until they actually hook people up no one knows. when i was with eircom they insisted my line was maxed out at 3mb but I moved to bt and got them to lift restrciction on line and get over 6mb now. i bet eircom slow speed down as per usual to avoid too much hassle.

gbc

With Sky. One of the files listed (700MB) reports its download as taking 2 mins 25 sec so it definitely happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    padraig if your with eircom mabye but if with others I doubt it. to switch to fibre its an actual physical thing, hence visit to the home. the line at the old cabinet is ceased and then connected to the adsl cabinet, which begs the question what are they going to do with the old redundant copper line all the way back to the exchange. Is copper not very expensive?

They actually retain the existing line back to the exchange if you want voice services. The VDSL signals from the cabinet are spliced into the line at the larger cross connection cabinet. So, you get VDSL from the local cabinet and a dial tone, voice services, voicemail etc from the old PSTN exchange.

While the Huawei street cabinets can provide voice service, I don't think they're setting them up to do it as its probably more cost effective to use the existing infrastructure for as long as they can. I think they're only installing VDSL cards. The Huawei gear they're using can provide everything though - Voice, ISDN, ADSL2+ etc with the addition of a card or two. It's a very smart piece of kit!

They can also offer voice using a VoIP solution in the router / home gayeway device like UPC do without any need for a dial tone coming in on the line from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the tables from the technical manual

Table 3: High Speed Internet Rate Adaptive VDSL2 Profiles

Max Distance , Down , Up(rate adaptive)
    300m* , 70 ,20
    300m* ,60 ,20
    500m ,50 ,20
    600m ,50 ,15
    750m ,40 ,10
    850m ,30 ,8
    1000m* ,25, 7
    1000m* ,18, 5

* there are 2 profiles for the 0-300M and 850-1000m line lengths because if the line is unstable at
    the higher speed, it may be necessary to downgrade the End-User to stabilise the line. These are
    effectively maintenance profiles but are included in the table so they are available for the Operator
    to select via the Unified Gateway (UG).

Table 4: High Stability VDSL2 profiles

200m ,50 ,5 - 16
    300m ,43 ,5 - 16
    450m ,40 ,5 - 16
    700m ,28 ,5 - 15
    800m ,20 ,2.5 - 10
    900m ,20 ,2.5 - 8
    1000m ,18 ,2.5 - 7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hmm......My sabnzbd usually reports in the region of 5.6 Mb/s at 'full tilt' download. Logged on there and it was showing 40 Mb/s for a few minutes :). Back to normal now though. Could this indicate testing of fibre lines?

If you are on Swords or Ennis or Douglas you may have been ported over to a cab as they are the final test pilot areas to train engineers and check backend systems.

But surely you don't have a VDSL modem Pádraig....or do you????

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

irishgeo wrote: »
    the tables from the technical manual

Table 3: High Speed Internet Rate Adaptive VDSL2 Profiles

300m* , 70 ,20
    300m* ,60 ,20
    500m ,50 ,20
    600m ,50 ,15
    750m ,40 ,10
    850m ,30 ,8
    1000m* ,25, 7
    1000m* ,18, 5

* there are 2 profiles for the 0-300M and 850-1000m line lengths because if the line is unstable at
    the higher speed, it may be necessary to downgrade the End-User to stabilise the line. These are
    effectively maintenance profiles but are included in the table so they are available for the Operator
    to select via the Unified Gateway (UG).

Table 4: High Stability VDSL2 profiles

200m ,50 ,5 - 16
    300m ,43 ,5 - 16
    450m ,40 ,5 - 16
    700m ,28 ,5 - 15
    800m ,20 ,2.5 - 10
    900m ,20 ,2.5 - 8
    1000m ,18 ,2.5 - 7

Here's a screenshot from the handbook I took when I posted it originally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

i think it will depend just like it currently does, distance to the vdsl cab and then the quality of your line/wiring etc.

i'm on the 24mb package but only get 10mb down and 1mb up....so god knows what this fibre malarky will give me.... :rolleyes:

I am about 500m according to this website I just had to enter in my Downstream Attenuation of 7db from the Modem stats to get how far I am.

Maybe you can get a better idea what speed you might get by following the above ?

50Mb would be excellent without contention and consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I am about 500m according to this website I just had to enter in my Downstream Attenuation of 7db from the Modem stats to get how far I am.

Maybe you can get a better idea what speed you might get by following the above ?

50Mb would be excellent without contention and consistent.

That's your distance from the exchange. It's the distance from the cabinet you need to measure.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you are on Swords or Ennis or Douglas you may have been ported over to a cab as they are the final test pilot areas to train engineers and check backend systems.

But surely you don't have a VDSL modem Pádraig....or do you????
    No, have A tp link adsl2 modem connected in bridge mode to an Asus N66 Router. My line sync speed Is 7mb so I'm at a loss to explain the (brief) 40mb!

Am near Douglas in a straight line (cobh) But theres a river in the way!

No, have A tp link adsl2 modem connected in bridge mode to an Asus N66 Router. My line sync speed Is 7mb so I'm at a loss to explain the (brief) 40mb!

Cobh is due to be fibred-up too.

That's your distance from the exchange. It's the distance from the cabinet you need to measure.

How would I go about finding that out ? The exchange must be the local Monaghan Post Office. I can't think where an exchange might be in between. Still even at the 0.5km I could theoretically expect the 50Mb download speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

aindriu80 wrote: »
    How would I go about finding that out ? The exchange must be the local Monaghan Post Office. I can't think where an exchange might be in between. Still even at the 0.5km I could theoretically expect the 50Mb download speeds.

This is a cabinet: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=r1zy1d&s=6

Any of these near your house? You usually fond them near the entrance of housing estates, but that all depends on how your housing estate was designed. The cabinet on the right is an old cabinet for DSL that the majority of Eircom customers are connected to now, the one on the right is the new fiber cabinet.

Bring your dog/cat/goldfish for a walk and find these in your area.

Spongebob and the gang are mapping these using Google Maps, visit Spongebob's profile for more details.

This is a cabinet: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=r1zy1d&s=6

Any of these near your house? You usually fond them near the entrance of housing estates, but that all depends on how your housing estate was designed. The cabinet on the right is an old cabinet for DSL that the majority of Eircom customers are connected to now, the one on the right is the new fiber cabinet.

Bring your dog/cat/goldfish for a walk and find these in your area.

Spongebob and the gang are mapping these using Google Maps, visit Spongebob's profile for more details.

I will talk a walk tomorrow morning to the post office and see if I can see anything. I am in a block of apartments in the town and there is no entrance like a housing estate.

Yes there is one of those cabinets that is approx .50 kilometer or less from where I live. I will try to take a picture if its there

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Gentlemen, I have been watching the eircom/kn working on fibre in Longford lately.

Have seen them blowing the fibre recently and today there was a van parked beside the new cabinet, with 3 or 4 light blue or white cables going from the ground through a little window in the back of the van.

Anyone know if this is testing of the fibre? Anyone reckon they might launch some of the later phases earlier?

Have seen them working a lot lately on the main Longford to mullingar road also.

Really hoping we might get it with the launch next month.

Should be cabs gone up in Cobh by now, can you find and map ( see my sig below). Distance from Cab is the most important thing.

You will at least see the cabinet bases and power cable sticking out of the ground so mapping the bases is fine.

jaykay2 wrote: »
    Have seen them blowing the fibre recently and today there was a van parked beside the new cabinet, with 3 or 4 light blue or white cables going from the ground through a little window in the back of the van.

Really hoping we might get it with the launch next month.

They would splice or join them in the van where it is dry. So the cab is now connected.

Earliest they could be ready, tested and handed over is about June or July I reckon.

Vodafone email in my inbox.

its a picture so i can post it.

main points
    - Up to 10 times faster
    - Fibre broadband up to 70MB at no extra cost.
    - New Modem

small print
    10 times faster than ever before claim is based on ComReg published data for typical current DSL broadband speeds in Ireland for Q4 2012. 'No extra cost' applies to new fibre packages when compared to standard equivalent Vodafone at Home products available on www.vodafone.ie as of April 2013 and is subject to entering a new minimum term contract. Standard terms and conditions also apply.

Register your interest

http://comingsoon.vodafone.ie/register/next-generation-broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's one of two things that will happen here. Either the customer is directly connected to the MDF of the exchange with no cabinet in the way (and I don't exactly know how eircom will handle this when customers are right beside the exchange) or else there is a cabinet nearby, which is about 500 metres away at most. The total length of copper is near 600 metres with the above attenuation, therefore the distance to the cabinet will be 500 metres or less. Unless the cabinet is literally within the exchange :D

There's probably not much point in anyone looking up their nearest cabinet" in denser urban areas as it's sometimes very hard to work out what streets (or side of streets) are being served by a given cabinet. Some cabs are placed on the side of the road opposite the block they serve because of space considerations.

Should be cabs gone up in Cobh by now, can you find and map ( see my sig below). Distance from Cab is the most important thing.

You will at least see the cabinet bases and power cable sticking out of the ground so mapping the bases is fine.
    According to the map there's one in my (large) estate but I haven't seen it yet.

According to the map there's one in my (large) estate but I haven't seen it yet.

Once you spot one they appear everywhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Once you spot one they appear everywhere. :)

Out here in Whitehorn Park in Drogheda and just saw my first cab around the corner from the groom's house (for the wedding I'm heading to tomorrow). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

There is quite a bit of activity in Tullamore, KN Network vans and some unmarked vans laying fibre for the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I have seen 2 in Cobh both actually very close to each other maybe 500m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

A previous poster described seeing a crew pulling in '' a big reel of orange yumminess '' , I've heard fibre sub ducting called many thing's , but never a '' big reel of orange yumminess '' , had a good laugh at that description , so I though I'd put up these pic's of the ducting , forgive my photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Was just looking at the NGN network map from Eircom listing the phases from 1 to 5.

When it reaches the end of phase 5 is that it? In other words is there any intention to extend this to other areas after this or not?

Basically just wondering what the chances are of my non NGB nevermind NGN enabled rural exchange ever being able to offer anything over and above 7MB basic DSL as a maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

iPhone. wrote: »
    Was just looking at the NGN network map from Eircom listing the phases from 1 to 5.

When it reaches the end of phase 5 is that it? In other words is there any intention to extend this to other areas after this or not?

Basically just wondering what the chances are of my non NGB nevermind NGN enabled rural exchange ever being able to offer anything over and above 7MB basic DSL as a maximum.

They always upgrade when they can, they're still upgrading areas to NGB as we speak it just isn't deployed at the same kind of rate. All current phases were announced separately so keep your eye out on both the Next Generation Access site and the Eircom Press Room site. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭briany

Was NGB about laying fibre to the exchange and this current rollout about laying fibre to the cab?

I must have missed it in this thread but what down/up ratio are we looking at for fttc? I read it was 5:1, is that correct?

briany wrote: »
    Was NGB about laying fibre to the exchange and this current rollout about laying fibre to the cab?

I must have missed it in this thread but what down/up ratio are we looking at for fttc? I read it was 5:1, is that correct?

NGN "next generation network" is about moving to faster backhaul and an all-IP network. Exchanges have had fibre for a very long time. They just added a lot of capacity with some new fibre and by using better technology over existing fibre routes to get vastly more capacity out of them.

NGA = Next Generation Access : this is the fibre to curb rollout and involves rolling out cabinets and fibre from the exchange building to every street/housing estate in the area.

Both rollouts are still ongoing. There are quite a few smaller exchanges (especially rural ones) that aren't on the NGN yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I saw workers installing that Orange cable at the top of my park, so that's positive. Does anyone know if I'm going to have to wait a week or two from this point, or more ? There are about 300 houses in the estate.

Mumha wrote: »
    I saw workers installing that Orange cable at the top of my park, so that's positive. Does anyone know if I'm going to have to wait a week or two from this point, or more ? There are about 300 houses in the estate.

its another month at least and thats for the places that are ready, if your only putting ducting in you might have to wait till the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

irishgeo wrote: »
    its another month at least and thats for the places that are ready, if your only putting ducting in you might have to wait till the end of the year.

Gulp ! Thanks for the info.

Advertisement