Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

murphaph wrote: »
    I own a property in an urban part of Lucan that can't get VDSL despite the nearest cabinet being about 50m away. It's direct fed as it's an old property surrounded by newer estates. Just the way it is. They'll cabinetise eventually.

That would make me wonder if they would connect you to the cabinet should you order a new connection .....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That would make me wonder if they would connect you to the cabinet should you order a new connection .....
    It's a rented commercial premises. The tenant doesn't seem to want/need any internet at all so not my problem. I suspect there are thousands of properties in Dublin alone that can't get VDSL and may not have particularly good ADSL either. These types of properties however make no sense to fix until the low hanging fruit is picked. It is the right strategy, even if it's frustrating for those it negatively affects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

According to Silicon Republic eircom efibre is now available to 1 million premises. Great progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Hackery wrote: »
    According to Silicon Republic eircom efibre is now available to 1 million premises. Great progress.

I would like to see a breakdown of that 1 million figure.

Figures seem like a load of bull****.

It says on the map 231 locations are live, 80 locations in build commenced and 450 locations planned.

So those 231 live locations are servicing 1 million premises and the other 530 are going to service 600k premises.

That ratio seems a bit skewed.

Also on the map my town Newcastle west has coverage all over it, when in fact only a handful of houses are using efibre now.

It's been an awful rollout, most of the country where suppose to be on efibre last summer, most large towns got pushed out by months, some even years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    I would like to see a breakdown of that 1 million figure.

Figures seem like a load of bull****.

It says on the map 231 locations are live, 80 locations in build commenced and 450 locations planned.

So those 231 live locations are servicing 1 million premises and the other 530 are going to service 600k premises.

That ratio seems a bit skewed.

Also on the map my town Newcastle west has coverage all over it, when in fact only a handful of houses are using efibre now.

It's been an awful rollout, most of the country where suppose to be on efibre last summer, most large towns got pushed out by months, some even years

The 1m premises figure is based on line pre-qualifications and is verified by CommReg so there can be no doubt over it.

The first one million premises connected were the low hanging fruit in mostly cities and large towns. The next 600k premises will be taking in much more lower population density areas including rural areas. Therefore it makes perfect sense that the average number of connections per cabinet/area will be a lot lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

jca wrote: »
    Very nice, where in the country are you? You must be very close to the cabinet.

Waterford, not sure how far tbh, prob 1km maybe

There is difference between available and using. At the moment the take up rate is just about 15%. 150,000 customers out of 1 million premises. Efibre is available to thousands of premises in Newcastle west. It's just that the majority of premises don't and may never avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

At the moment the take up rate is just about 15%. 150,000 customers out of 1 million premises. Efibre is available

I know no one with eFibre, despite being in a 4,500 homes enabled area. I hear of only a scattering in the greater city [of about 200,000 population].

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I know no one with eFibre, despite being in a 4,500 homes enabled area. I hear of only a scattering in the greater city [of about 200,000 population].

You are probably right. I'd imagine in some UPC areas the take up would be below 5%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

There is difference between available and using. At the moment the take up rate is just about 15%. 150,000 customers out of 1 million premises. Efibre is available to thousands of premises in Newcastle west. It's just that the majority of premises don't and may never avail of it.

You should visit the NCW Efibre thread in Eircom's sub forum.

Loads of posters are in the live areas and can't get connected.

Being told cabinet is live, but not ready till next month, engineer will be out next weekp to setup, never shows up, problem with your line at the moment.

I know of about 15 people that are interest in live areas and can't get connected for one reason or another.

It seems to me the 1 million available figure being banded about needs a fat ass disclaimer!!

If you go through threads in the Eircom sub forum, there are 100's of threads with poster not being able to get connected even though cabinet is live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Being told cabinet is live, but not ready till next month, engineer will be out next weekp to setup, never shows up, problem with your line at the moment.

I know of about 15 people that are interest in live areas and can't get connected for one reason or another.

It seems to me the 1 million available figure being banded about needs a fat ass disclaimer!!

If you go through threads in the Eircom sub forum, there are 100's of threads with poster not being able to get connected even though cabinet is live.

If you check their cross connect point most of those cases will turn out to bypass the cab.

The problem is eircom retails map, I understand they had to give some indication but shading whole areas like that doesnt match reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well sadly as I thought efibre is a load of rubbish for any kind of rural house, an uncle was the first person to be connected to a cab in Tullow last week after the town went live and at 1.3km he is getting 7mb/1mb

The attainable rates are 18m/3mb but they don't seem open to changing his profile for now.

vDSL which is all it should be allowed to be called is fine for urban areas but not worth a crap outside town boundaries!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

Villain wrote: »

vDSL which is all it should be allowed to be called is fine for urban areas but not worth a crap outside town boundaries!

Whatever about what it's named my dad would jump at 7/8 meg, he's at 2/3 because of his distance from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Our estate went live last year and there are plenty of us on direct fed lines to the exchange - not passing through distribution cabinets. Still no change from Eircom. No word about splicing the lines that pass by the distribution point. Arctan, if you have any update can you pm me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I'd take the whole thing with a pinch of salt for sure. Nearest town near me is marked on the Wholesale map as having cabinets in place and going live today.
    That'll be impressive being as there are no cabinets actually in place that I have seen....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

MBSnr wrote: »
    I'd take the whole thing with a pinch of salt for sure. Nearest town near me is marked on the Wholesale map as having cabinets in place and going live today.
    That'll be impressive being as there are no cabinets actually in place that I have seen....
    Possibly in vaults?

I think I'm going to cancel Eircom altogether what that they are a year behind already and missed this year's schedule twice already.

This is a Vodafone Mobile on 4G

321755.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

murphaph wrote: »
    Possibly in vaults?

I passed through last night and I found one new cab in the centre of town. So I'll take it back! Looks like some of the town could go live but one of the estates outside of town still only has the old voice cab in place, although it is marked as having VDSL in place. Would you get a vault VDSL install on a national road a few Km out of town?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MBSnr wrote: »
    I passed through last night and I found one new cab in the centre of town. So I'll take it back! Looks like some of the town could go live but one of the estates outside of town still only has the old voice cab in place, although it is marked as having VDSL in place. Would you get a vault VDSL install on a national road a few Km out of town?

Sometimes the VDSL cab will be 30 or 40 yards form the CCP cab, so its not always obvious.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I think I'm going to cancel Eircom altogether what that they are a year behind already and missed this year's schedule twice already.

This is a Vodafone Mobile on 4G

Two problems with this:

1) What is the size of the cap with Vodafone?

Usually mobile "midband" products like 4G have very small caps that make them useless for any sort of medium to heavy usage.

2) Those speeds you are seeing at the moment will likely drastically fall in time.

Remember very few people have 4g phones and dongles at the moment, so few are using it. As more and more people get 4g devices and start using it the speeds will drop drastically.

Having said that 4g may not be a bad solution for a small number of people who have no other option. But it certainly isn't a solution for the majority of people and you need to be aware of the caveats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

bk wrote: »
    Having said that 4g may not be a bad solution for a small number of people who have no other option. But it certainly isn't a solution for the majority of people and you need to be aware of the caveats.

Agree 100% but sadly eFibre also isn't a solution for the majority of people either, their reluctance or refusal to locate cabinets further than a few hundred meters from town boundaries means vDSL is not much use to rural populations.

Although I did notice that Eircom are going to put a cabinet in Mount Juliet which is about 5km from the exchange in Thomastown which is good to see however I think is very much the exception.

To be honest the majority of people I know that work in the network industry laugh at Eircom been allowed to use the word fibre for this product! Following the logic that a FTTC product is called eFibre you say any connection that is connected to Fibre at some point is a fibre product even wireless solutions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Okay I know we are talking different scales between America and Ireland but I was on 4G all summer in the USA and it was perfect. Speeds were brilliant everywjere I went bar one stop on the CTA where I reverted to EDGE but on the otherhand you couldnt use that freely nowing you had a FUP with them. We had fibre installed in July while I was gone and theres still problems with speeds jumping up and down erratically. I don't notice a massive difference between ADSL and VDSL even though I am on an 80Meg fixed profile with fibre.

bk wrote: »
    Two problems with this: 1) What is the size of the cap with Vodafone?

The cap with Vodafone makes it totally useless for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Just checked 3's website and they offer an up to 20mb/s dongle with 60gb data per month for 35 euro.

Not bad, if you can get near those speeds. Would be a nice upgrade from my 2mb.

If everyone still stuck with slow speeds started moving away from Eircom I'm sure they'd be much quicker in upgrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

spix wrote: »
    Just checked 3's website and they offer an up to 20mb/s dongle with 60gb data per month for 35 euro.

If everyone still stuck with slow speeds started moving away from Eircom I'm sure they'd be much quicker in upgrading.

Not a great plan, if you get good speed on mobile don't tell your neighbour cos the minute he gets it it's halved. Mobile would be great if people didn't use it as a fixed broadband substitute. New mobile networks work very well but soon slow down when they oversubscribe, and they always do.

Not a great plan, if you get good speed on mobile don't tell your neighbour cos the minute he gets it it's halved. Mobile would be great if people didn't use it as a fixed broadband substitute. New mobile networks work very well but soon slow down when they oversubscribe, and they always do.

In that case, 10mb is still better than 2mb :)

It's a bandaid fix

It's a bandaid fix

• Advertisement

It's a bandaid fix

If it gives faster speeds then so what. Try using 2mb broadband with 5+ devices connected at once :mad:

Advertisement