Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Be surprised if Eircom don't just keep going, especially in the towns listed in Phase I of the ESB rollout. They will want to scoop up as many customers as they can before the ESB can sell them FTTH. Most end users will probably stick with 70Mb VDSL if it's a bit cheaper than 200Mb or even 1Gb FTTH...until new services come on stream that genuinely require such speeds.

Of course for the country as a whole it would be nicer if Eircom chased other markets and rolled out VDSL in places where the ESB has no initial plans for FTTH and where UPC have no presence...but that's a commercial decision for them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dcully wrote: »
    The cab closest to me is going live today apparently, when should i order and whats the fastest method to get things processed, order online or over the phone?
    If you have an existing phone line over eircom copper then they should already have your details. Otherwise plug a phone in to your socket and dial 198000 / 199000 to see if you have a soft dial tone number you can order against.

You could also give your previous number if you've had a phone line recently enough.

If you don't have a recent number that you need to have your address spot on because if the houses aren't numbered the postman might know where you live, but the contractor won't.

If at all possible include a mobile / alternative contact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

We ran into a little quirk in the VDSL installation process this week, as detailed here I had an idea that the prequal figure for my line (800M+ long) seemed improbably high at 95MB, anyway on Thursday evening last 2 engineers from KN Networks (acting on behalf of Eircom) arrived to install my VDSL, very sound lads, had no problem moving the point inside the house for me but when all the work was done neither the engineers test equipment or the Vodafone modem would sync on the line.

The engineer could see that his gear was handshaking and trying to sync but that the SNR was too low and he was firmly of the opinion that there was too high of a profile applied to the line but couldn't ring Eircom (who he was working for) to get it changed on the spot but had to call Vodafone (on their 1907 public line and hold and hold for technical support), the catch was that Eircom don't allow Vodafone access to the line till 24 hours after the engineer reports the installation as complete........

At this stage it was late in the evening so they went and as it worked out I had to wait till this morning to get Vodafone technical support with access to the line config, it turned out a fixed 85MB profile had been applied which indeed was too high to allow sync, they changed me over to rate adaptive and almost immediately the modem synced, it's been up 12 hours now and the stats currently look like this,

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 43632
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 8784
    Downstream SNR (dB) 8.8
    Upstream SNR (dB) 8.7
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 19.2
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 6.5
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.5
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 7.2
    Downstream CRC 0
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 33866
    Upstream FEC 2

Anyway it just seems a bit silly that the engineer couldn't ring the company he's working for and that Vodafone had no access to sort it for 24hrs, not a biggie but a PITA.

Alls well that ends well though, my download speed is 11 times faster than before and upload 24 times, feels like I've joined the 21st century....

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Have had e-fibre installed since last November. Noticed a new part put on top of the old cabinet. Can anyone tell me what it is or what its used for please?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's a copper cab, not a fibre one. Those extenders are so they can add more patch cables over to the fibre cab nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

All that extra surface area will cost the graffiti lads more....

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

A number of KN Network vans near Douglas Community School. Cork

Is this a new cabinet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Eircom changed the prices of their packages. Works out at €720 for 18 months.

Eircom changed the prices of their packages. Works out at €720 for 18 months.

Does this apply to existing customers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

gordonnet wrote: »
    Does this apply to existing customers ?

I have no idea, I just seen it on their website. You probably have to sign a new contract to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

gordonnet wrote: »
    A number of KN Network vans near Douglas Community School. Cork

Is this a new cabinet ?
    There's an exchange there, could just be doing some work on that? Noticed a couple last night.

Edit: Actually which is the community school again? Different people I've talked to use that and another one interchangeably.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Any updates one what's happening with customers connected via the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Manc Red wrote: »
    Any updates one what's happening with customers connected via the exchange?

There's some news on that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Eircom's fibre map has been updated to include new areas into Q2 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tampler

lockup35 wrote: »

Yep. Just a little FYI, you might have to clear your browsers cache to view the updated map.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭_John C

Map must be wrong; All 2014 dates pushed back to next year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

So Eircom has moved the carrot yet again for Claregalway!! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but severely disappointed. As I previously stated, we had several "promise dates" last year that are long gone and then late last year it was January-14, then it moved to April, then June and they had me with June, since the website still said June at the beginning of June, when I started this post on at the end of June it was September, then it moved to October and I just checked today and it now says Apr-Jun '15. This is insane!!! How can a roll-out have so many date changes, where at this stage it's not a roll-out at all, just FUBAR! All this with no communication at all to the customers.

I know the dates are provisional, but even provisional dates should have some accuracy and if things are going to move this much, why even give a completely misleading date in the first place?

I don't believe the delays are technical, just have our priorities push out, since Eircom seems more concerned to prioritise the areas that are competing with ESB. Instead of the two working together to try and improve country-wide coverage, Eircom is focusing on the ESB areas. This is one of the many reasons why Eircom never should have been sold off in the first place and the portion of the company responsible for the infrastructure should have no connection to their commercial sales. But for all those that have efibre, Eircom is doing a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

lockup35 wrote: »

Eircom is upgrading Kildimo the village is tiny with 400 people . Only 1 housing estate. My village has four housing estates and around 700+ people. I don't get it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

SeamusFX wrote: »
    I just checked today and it now says Apr-Jun '15. .
    I think someone has made a mistake manipulating the data for the eircom retail map. Wholesale site says a deployment schedule of winter 2014, with two cabinets landed as of the end of last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tomselleck101

The eFibre map is total bull****, I posted a thread on their website asking why my address "wasn't enabled" even though eFibre was available in the area (Pelletstown).

A rep replied and said that no addresses in the area were enabled. This proves that the 41% or whatever threshold people were saying is totally false.

Thread here -> community eircom net/t5/Broadband/Pelletstown-eFibre-is-available-in-your-area-but-your-address-is/td-p/74681

(change spaces between "community eircom net" to dots, since when can't I post URL's?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The eFibre map is total bull****, I posted a thread on their website asking why my address "wasn't enabled" even though eFibre was available in the area (Pelletstown).

I'm sorry that you are an exception and can't get the service but please don't generalise.

The eFibre network now passes 1 million premises (these are actual telephone lines profiled as capable of getting the eFibre service) which makes up 50% of all premises in Ireland and 70% of these can get 70mb/s or faster!

That is the reality and it is far from bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ask Eircom how to they decided to choose how to implement it and you'll get bull****

Ten house in my estate got it and they cant say why. I'm waiting over two years for something that is "live" a year or so

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tomselleck101

bk wrote: »
    I'm sorry that you are an exception and can't get the service but please don't generalise.

The eFibre network now passes 1 million premises (these are actual telephone lines profiled as capable of getting the eFibre service) which makes up 50% of all premises in Ireland and 70% of these can get 70mb/s or faster!

That is the reality and it is far from bull****.

Whose information are you basing that on, Eircom's?

If you look at the eFibre map at an area above Phoenix park called Pelletstown, it is marked as "eFibre in this area".

There is not one address in that area that has eFibre. I said that the eFibre map is bull****, so your point about its (theoretical) availability across the country has absolutely no bearing on my statement whatsoever.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Whose information are you basing that on, Eircom's?

My information is from a number of reliable sources (tht I trust and never been wrong before) with access to the profile database.

BTW this information is also made available to Comreg, and the OLO's so they aren't going to mess around with it.

You can try making a freedom of information request if you would like to confirm it for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

The E Fibre map is pretty BS for me as at home in cahir the box for the fibre is basically less then 50m from me and i cant get it and to make it worse my address is not even on the map for eircom WTF i live basically 5 mins from the town. There is also 2 more boxes going in 100m up the road from me and i probably still won't be able to get it.

TheChizler wrote: »
    There's an exchange there, could just be doing some work on that? Noticed a couple last night.

Edit: Actually which is the community school again? Different people I've talked to use that and another one interchangeably.

The Community school is the one on the south douglas road, just before the flyover. they were pulling a cable through ducting and digging on the footpath outside the school.

http://goo.gl/maps/SSauV (google maps )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Looks like eircom are now going to 1.6 million homes and also rolling out FTTH 1Gbps symmetrical in response to ESB / Vodafone JV.

Herb Hribar - eircom CEO
    “I am also delighted to announce that our ambition for the delivery of high speed broadband services across Ireland will take us further with an additional investment commitment over the coming two years. This includes the deployment of fibre to the home technology, supporting symmetrical speeds of up to 1Gb to locations in Ireland where we see demand emerging. In addition, we are expanding the overall fibre footprint to 1.6m premises, ensuring more customers across Ireland will be able to avail of fibre broadband. Our rollout should be completed by December 2016.”

pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Full_Year_and_Fourth_Quarter_Results_To_30_June_2014_/

That is brilliant, isn't competition great :)

However the FTTH bit still seems a bit woolly:
    This includes the deployment of fibre to the home technology, supporting symmetrical speeds of up to 1Gb to locations in Ireland where we see demand emerging.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/38126-eircom-slows-revenue/

Seems more like an idea at the moment, then a solid plan. But great news on the extra 200,000 premises. With 1.6m premises they really are getting into "rural" areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Those 200K are most likely the direct fed lines being added to the lists.

• Advertisement

Also more good news:
    Today we are accelerating our rollout and now expect to reach 1.4m premises by December 2015.

This looks like they are accelerating their rollout plan. If I'm not mistaken they originally planned on doing the 1.4 million homes by July 2016, so a 7 month speed up. Good news all around.

ED E I was thinking the same.

Advertisement