Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest against cuts and Government greed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I heard on the radio this morning that they (whoever they are) reckon there will be a €50 per annum charge for the water meter.

So, if this turns out to be true, over time they'll make way more than €300 - €500 from just the meter alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

€780 is the figure quoted in the Irish Times for installation of a water meter. Where in the name of God are they coming from with an installation fee of more than €700? It's adding insult to injury.
    I'm not totally opposed to water charges, like I am to the household charge but the main danger from their introduction is corrupt politicians, conniving in the future to privatise water supplies and conjure up a nice little earner for their buddies, with of course the usual cream off for themselves to some offshore account.
    We heard, and still hear, a lot of waffle from Enda and Co. about transparency in Government but instead all we get is the same opacity that the previous gang of crooks used to fool the public into thinking all was well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

€40 per annum over 20 years for a fuckin meter,along with whatever charges they decide to introduce.

With regard to water meters,one poster in the thread in AH linked to a video of a meter which more than likely will be used.The govt. want us to pay for it over 20 years,the lifespan of the meter is 16 years.:rolleyes:

Here's another one for roughly €30. http://www.amazon.co.uk/15mm-BSP-Cold-Water-Meter/dp/B004AQ6C02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334742240&sr=8-1

But the ones they want to use will be able to be read from a handheld device so the guy's reading the meters won't even need to get out of their vans.(Handiest job in the country anyone??)

Where I live, (built about 7 years), provision has already been made for fitting a water meter. All that is required is to turn off the water, open two locknuts, remove a section of pipe and fit the meter. They're going to charge me €800 to do that.
    My biggest concern about water tax is that it will be used as a revenue raiser, like excise and vat and will not reflect the true cost of providing water. The fact it is to be handled by Bórd Gáis is even more worrying, the real cost will be lost in the inadequacies and incompetencies of a state monolith with overpaid and mollycoddled public servants draining resources. The appointment of a regulator does nothing to ease fears, after all we had a Financial Regulator at the time of the boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

'Enda Kenny said the cost will not include an installation charge because that will be covered by a loan from the National Pensions Reserve Fund '..........

Of course, the National pensions Reserve Fund we were told at the time, was 'Ringfenced'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/kenny-pay-water-charges--or-be-cut-off-548000.html
    "Taoiseach Enda Kenny has warned that people will be cut off it they fail to pay water charges."

"The Taoiseach also refused to give details on potential costs – for both water charges and the planned standing charge. He said the details have yet to be ironed out by the new water regulator.

It has been widely reported that householders could face a standing charge of €39 per annum over 20 years - totalling around €800 for meters to measure water usage.

“I can’t tell you what the cost of electricity will be in five years,” the Taoiseach said."

"Sinn Féin's Mary Lou McDonald said it was astonishing that the Taoiseach would not rule out the prospect of cutting off water supply to homes.

"Water is essential for a decent standard or quality of living," Deputy McDonald said.

"The Taoiseach has failed to indicate in any substantive way for the citizens of the state what level of charge they will face."

The People of Wexford against the HouseHold Tax, 24th of March 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zOhaI0bEI&feature=share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Can I ask why this thread continues to be revived in the Wexford forum, when there is no specific aspect of it relating to the county?

It is a very important National issue, I just feel the conversation should carry on elsewhere unless there is a meeting, march etc happening in Wexford

oldyouth wrote: »
    Can I ask why this thread continues to be revived in the Wexford forum, when there is no specific aspect of it relating to the county?

It is a very important National issue, I just feel the conversation should carry on elsewhere unless there is a meeting, march etc happening in Wexford

It's been done to death in AH and I think specifics that relate to Wexford should be posted here.The county has been neglected through the boom and even more now we're in the depths of recession.Meanwhile our representatives are conspicuous by their silence.The likes of Paul Kehoe,Brendan Howlin etc. appeared everywhere in the run up to the Election but are nowhere to be found these days.The ministers should be using their influence & voices for the good of the county but instead award themselves with pay rises that equate to a years wages for some people.
    At least Mick Wallace had the grace to attend meetings & field questions from the public plus he was honest with his answers unlike those who use cliches and toe the party line to protect their cushy salaries and pensions.

• Advertisement

If it has been done to death in AH why bring it here, is the point I'm trying to make. Yep, if a Wexford politician is saying or doing something or if an event is happening in the area

oldyouth wrote: »
    If it has been done to death in AH why bring it here, is the point I'm trying to make. Yep, if a Wexford politician is saying or doing something or if an event is happening in the area

The thread was started to highlight protests etc. in the county but a couple of posters are bringing their political allegiances into it which is derailing the thread.When it comes to my county I'll allow my allegiances to take a backseat if my elected representatives aren't doing their job,no politician is immune just because they represent any one party.Similarly I'll give credit where it's due,although that's extremely hard at the moment.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/boyd-barrett-opposition-to-water-charges-absolutely-enormous-548544.html
    "They must know that if the rebellion against the Household Charge was significant, the rebellion against water charges is going to be absolutely enormous." (Richard Boyd Barrett, TD)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/trade-union-urges-no-vote-in-referendum-548553.html
    "Trade union urges No vote in referendum"
    Addressing the union’s Biennial Conference in Co Wexford, General Secretary John Douglas said that the Treaty “will not create one job and will lock down Irish economic activity at its current levels”.

Well done to the Mandate Trade Union.

If only SIPTU/LAB would grow a pair !!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

zerks wrote: »
    There is a Rally/Protest on next saturday, February 25, 2012 at 10:00am until 1:00pm at The Fairgreen Enniscorthy.

A protest against the goverment giving themselves big bonuses while people are struggling with pay reductions , social welfare cuts , sna cuts ,cuts to special needs entitlements , the household tax etc .We need numbers so please support.

There has already been a protest held outside Paul Kehoe's constituency office against his awarding himself a €17,000 per year pay rise.

Another blatant "FUCK YOU" to the ordinary people of Ireland who elected this shower in the hope of change.

The thread was started to highlight protests etc. in the county but a couple of posters are bringing their political allegiances into it which is derailing the thread.

The opening post in this thread took a political viewpoint. Therefore, in view of this, you have to expect other political commentary and viewpoints, my own being to expose the hypocrisy of SF position.

291281_1.jpg?ts=1335116337

"Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin has defended the payment of an additional €17,000 allowance for ministers of state who attend Cabinet on the basis that they are “significant jobs”. (April 18th 2012)
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0418/breaking54.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Howlin is probably one of the hardest working politicians, he hardly ever gets a day off , working as a minister and looking after the constituency.

Wexford is very lucky to have 3 ministers. All very competent
    You should see the politicians Waterford has.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Howlin is probably one of the hardest working politicians, he hardly ever gets a day off , working as a minister and looking after the constituency.

If he is, and I seriously doubt it, then he's very well rewarded for it. Who are these three Ministers of whom you speak? Apart from Howlin, Paul Kehoe is a Junior Minister (a fancy title for a makey-up job), who else?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

well if you want them you can have them. we'll send them down to you

http://www.wexfordecho.ie/news/eymhgbcwoj/
    "Paid €42,136 to work for Minister"

Who is he looking after ?

"Wexford is very lucky to have 3 ministers"

Lucky for who ?

These 3 ministers you mention are running a country where

"The People are slaved to the Economy"

yobr wrote: »
    There is a Rally/Protest on next saturday, February 25, 2012 at 10:00am until 1:00pm at The Fairgreen Enniscorthy.

A protest against the goverment giving themselves big bonuses while people are struggling with pay reductions , social welfare cuts , sna cuts ,cuts to special needs entitlements , the household tax etc .We need numbers so please support.

There has already been a protest held outside Paul Kehoe's constituency office against his awarding himself a €17,000 per year pay rise.

Another blatant "FUCK YOU" to the ordinary people of Ireland who elected this shower in the hope of change.

The opening post in this thread took a political viewpoint. Therefore, in view of this, you have to expect other political commentary and viewpoints, my own being to expose the hypocrisy of SF position.

The thread was started without any political bias,I am not a SF apologist and started the thread as the news of one of our elected politicians awarding himself a €17,000 pay rise & subsequent protest became public.I didn't care what party he represented,it was the awarding of this pay rise while the dole queues in the county lengthen that stuck in the craw.
    FG were elected on the promise of change from what FF were doing but these promises were broken and all these austerity measures are being blamed on the previous government.Makes me want to never vote again.
    People here can't find a job in the county but these guys get pay rises and hire friends as advisors on massive wages.
    I don't care who organises the protests and neither do most people as they are sick to the teeth of what's going on and are deciding to make a stand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Right lads, this thread is one holy mess and I have been tasked to sort it out in the interest of fairness to everyone (not being from Wexford).

Firstly; I get the impression that this thread is being abuse a little by political organisations. Everyone is more than welcome to have their say, whether its for or against, but lets stop with the massive fonts with your slogan to begin with. If you could also stop posting press releases - just give the basic details, no need for the bells and whistles. This is a discussion forum and not a noticeboard for any party or organisation.

I also think its very unfair that people are not contributing elsewhere on the forum and registered simply to push an agenda. I don't care what side your on - its pushing a political agenda and taking advantage of the site which isn't fair. Join other discussions, get involved in the forum but if your here just to spread the good word from your group/party - than please leave as I don't think its fair.

Secondly; Can we keep as much as the discussion as Wexford based as possible. You know Political discussions should be in the Politics forum - but if the regulars and the moderating team are happy for a Wexford based political discussion than that's fine.

Thirdly; A bit of common sense. There is a huge amount of scaremongering going on about what the government are trying to bring in. Not just political organisations but media also. No figure for the installation of water meters has been decided and to the best of my knowledge the tenders for the installation process hasn't been decided so I cant see how these figures are supposedly accurate.

Finally; Going deep into politics wont be permitted either way. It has to have a strong connection with Wexford. If you want to get into the nitty gritty on stuff like planning or treaty - that has nothing to do with Wexford, than sorry but keep to the Politics forum as its a national issue. (I have therefore cleaned out the topic to cut out the nitty gritty stuff)

I can see people making certain accusations which have been clarified by the government and I think that its downright scaremongering trying to put the fear of god into people without showing both sides. Doing so in general is outstanding, considering the hardship people are going through.

Thanks for your co-operation.

(Any questions / complaints / whatever related to this post please PM me and do not reply here. As to keep this on topic.)

Well put Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note

Right lads, this thread is one holy mess and I have been tasked to sort it out in the interest of fairness to everyone (not being from Wexford).

Firstly; I get the impression that this thread is being abused a little by political organisations. Everyone is more than welcome to have their say, whether its for or against, but lets stop with the massive fonts with your slogan to begin with. If you could also stop posting press releases - just give the basic details, no need for the bells and whistles. This is a discussion forum and not a noticeboard for any party or organisation.
    .)

Its called propaganda

It's not possible to keep a subject like this apolitical, by it's very nature it's going to have a political bias like any discussion on matters decided by our national parliament
    While it's true the op was critical of a local politician and publicised a local protest, it was inevitable that it would take a wider path and it did so very early in the thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just a reminder about what I said in my note;
    (Any questions / complaints / whatever related to this post please PM me and do not reply here. As to keep this on topic.)

I understand people have thoughts on this but if keep going on than the topic will just go further down the swanny and cause more upset. So best just leave it at that. :)

As I listened to the news of job creation in other parts of the country over the last few days it angers me that we have Wexford TD's who over the years have done nothing for the county.They can't claim credit for what happened during the boom as it happened everywhere and easy money led to thousands of construction jobs which are now gone.
    I've been through redundancy before in a large firm and listened to promises of "task forces" etc. but nothing was done.Other TD's have successfully lobbied for factories etc. in their counties but ours sit on their hands.Even the construction of bypasses and new motorway have been put on hold.As it stands the county is only an hour or so drive from the Capital and we have a port in Rosslare yet this hasn't been exploited as our elected representatives are conspicuous by their silence.We might laugh at the likes of Jackie Healy Ray in his flat cap but he's well able to get stuff done in Kerry.At least he is doing something to justify his wages.

How can we be expected to fork out cash at every turn when local TD's don't seem to do anything to justify their obscene wages and perks or even care about our perception of them.

bmaxi wrote: »
    If he is, and I seriously doubt it, then he's very well rewarded for it. Who are these three Ministers of whom you speak? Apart from Howlin, Paul Kehoe is a Junior Minister (a fancy title for a makey-up job), who else?

Kehoe is a whip with full cabinet responsibilities, D'Arcy is a minister for state (I may be wrong)..

AS for serving the community, the Hospital is getting a new maternity and A&E that had been removed from the HSE plans. Howlin made sure the plans were put back on.

Howlin is arguably the 2nd most powerful minister.

here is Waterfords view of the Green grass over here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056467076

Kehoe is a whip with full cabinet responsibilities, D'Arcy is a minister for state (I may be wrong)..

AS for serving the community, the Hospital is getting a new maternity and A&E that had been removed from the HSE plans. Howlin made sure the plans were put back on.

Howlin is arguably the 2nd most powerful minister.

here is Waterfords view of the Green grass over here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056467076

D'arcy is a Senator, we thought so much of him in the Dail we even voted Jumpship in ahead of him but Enda knows his Daddy so decided to give him a nice little earner in the Senate, even though D'Arcy himself had called for it's abolition. That's the sort of integrity our politicians have. Kehoe is a Minister of State and FG Chief Whip which is why he got the extra 17000 euro that started the ball rolling in this thread, sure who could live on a TD's salary and expenses.
    Though I have little time for the Church, I think Fr. Fegan and the ordinary people of Wexford have more to do with the continued existence of Wexford Hospital.
    Cullen is probably the reason Waterford has no Ministers now. :rolleyes:

Apologies , D'arcy is not minister for state Kehoe is.

I think the reason D'arcy did not get elected was the splitting of the vote by Wallace and more astute campaigning this time round by Twomey . His two for wexford town was the clincher.

Waterford do not have a minister because Deasy hates Kenny . The other FG and labour are too new to have any chance yet.

My point is that the grass is always greener, other counties would kill for the political power Wexford now has.

It will be interesting to see if they decide to change the boundaries for the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

What does Wexford have which will attract new companies to set up in the county?

If companies see no reason to invest in Wexford what would get them to invest here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement