Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest against cuts and Government greed.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

RKQ wrote: »
    Ordinary people spoke about an unfair tax - no Councillors or TD's spoke at the Rally!

Well Mick was attending to more interesting matters at Ferrycarrig Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

DSCN3842.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Brilliant turnout at this.

Can't wait to see some photos of the march, I was fair near the front so imagine my surprise when I looked back at the bridge to see the crowd stretch to the other end of the quay

Anyone else planning on Dublin next Saturday??

I was thinking of dusting off my pike from the raftere, but maybe I,d be better off around wexford first with it, there's some hope of people knowing whst it is and what it stands for around here, ya wouldn't know what them godless savwgs in the big schmoke would think of it

Right, accom booked i'll be head in up on friday.

This is due mostly to me not really being a morning person and therefore doubtful in capabilities to catch a bus at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The hypocrisy...

Apparently the town councillors gathered in 'The Square' bar on St. Patrick's Day where there was a free bar (i.e. compliments of the tax payer) in their honour. One councillor supposedly had most of his family in attendance enjoying the free bevvies.

So, if someone from the council does end up knocking on your door looking for payment of the household charge, be sure and ask them about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Ya bunch o worthless vermin.

Whatever about those who cant pay, those who wont pay are the very scum that would be up on their hind legs squealing when 'their' services are cut because this money is not paid.

Its all well and and good for degenerates like SF and PBP to march people around like headless chickens, but what is their answer to getting money in to run services.

And another thing, I've seen some of these 'protests' around wexford, and a lot of the people at them look like the sort that come from council estates. Bet they have loads for their slabs of dutch gold. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Whatever about those who cant pay, those who wont pay are the very scum that would be up on their hind legs squealing when 'their' services are cut because this money is not paid.

Its all well and and good for degenerates like SF and PBP to march people around like headless chickens, but what is their answer to getting money in to run services.

And another thing, I've seen some of these 'protests' around wexford, and a lot of the people at them look like the sort that come from council estates. Bet they have loads for their slabs of dutch gold. :mad:

I attended the protest in Enniscorthy and every demographic was there & they didn't care if Sinn Fein or The Looney Party organised the demo-it was a chance to show their opposition to this tax.So your insulting tone & generalisation that everyone from council estates are wasters is way off the mark.Many in said estates have bought their houses and are liable for the tax,they feel more aggrieved than most as they are expected to pay while some of their neighbours don't.

We've been through recession before & services continued so the lies about this €100 charge going to local councils won't wash,people have the politicians well sussed & know full well that local authority budgets are being slashed while every €100 collected is being syphoned off to pay bondholders.

zerks wrote: »
    I attended the protest in Enniscorthy and every demographic was there & they didn't care if Sinn Fein or The Looney Party organised the demo-it was a chance to show their opposition to this tax.So your insulting tone & generalisation that everyone from council estates are wasters is way off the mark.Many in said estates have bought their houses and are liable for the tax,they feel more aggrieved than most as they are expected to pay while some of their neighbours don't.

We've been through recession before & services continued so the lies about this €100 charge going to local councils won't wash,people have the politicians well sussed & know full well that local authority budgets are being slashed while every €100 collected is being syphoned off to pay bondholders.

Regarding those in council estates who own their own homes, thats the very point. They own their own homes. Now you and I would agree that this tax is by its nature unfair. That is without doubt. The point is that it is necessary as well. Who likes paying tax, I dont, and I bet you dont either, but where do we stop. Next week do you think you should not have to pay vat or Prsi or excise duty. Its a slippery slope with a very sudden ending.

Your point about previous recessions is fallacious, during previous recessions there was not the levels of government debt even if you exclude the banking debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Yep, we should all pay the new tax so that our wonderful local authorities can continue to waste money like it was going out of fashion. If they were less wasteful there wouldn't be a need for the new tax. Anyway, when I see TDs taking the average industrial wage I'll be all in favour of new taxes.

PS I'm not in SF or a Dutch Gold drinker.

Yep, we should all pay the new tax so that our wonderful local authorities can continue to waste money like it was going out of fashion. If they were less wasteful there wouldn't be a need for the new tax. Anyway, when I see TDs taking the average industrial wage I'll be all in favour of new taxes.

PS I'm not in SF or a Dutch Gold drinker.

Could not agree more re Local Authorities, although with the new tax if waste was cut to a minimum we could finally get the services we all deserve.

Regarding tds wages, I must disagree. You dont want to end up with a situation where only those that are independently wealthy could become a td.

As long as their expenses are fully vouched and they behave in a proper fashion, its just a straw man argument to give them a bit of a kicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

Could not agree more re Local Authorities, although with the new tax if waste was cut to a minimum we could finally get the services we all deserve.

Regarding tds wages, I must disagree. You dont want to end up with a situation where only those that are independently wealthy could become a td.

As long as their expenses are fully vouched and they behave in a proper fashion, its just a straw man argument to give them a bit of a kicking.

independently wealthy becoming TD's?? my god perish the thought. We are far better off with teachers becoming TD's so if it doesn't work out they can fall back on their previous careers, and perhaps become wealthy in the process. perhaps you'd agree with the idea of scrapping the household tax and increase vat on dutch gold? then all those multi millionaires living in estates and pretending to be hard up will be the ones to pay the bond holders gambles

I paid mine. I didn't enjoy doing it, but it is the law of the land, even if it is unjust. One thing though, if there aren't consequences for those deliberately breaking the law by not paying for it, I won't be stumping up next year.

Just saying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I would say that the whole thing is going to be abandoned when the sheer scale of the non-payments becomes clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Magicalady

It's not nice when our "government" leave us with no option but to break the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Magicalady

oldyouth wrote: »
    I paid mine. I didn't enjoy doing it, but it is the law of the land, even if it is unjust. One thing though, if there aren't consequences for those deliberately breaking the law by not paying for it, I won't be stumping up next year.

Just saying..

I think most people agree that there should be some form of property tax but it must be fair. This is not. You're in the lucky position to be able to pay but what about those who simply don't have the money?

A friend of mine is on back to work scheme and receives €141 a week. The government expect him to pay almost a full weeks money despite the fact his mortgage is 18 months in arrears (after being made redundant). He couldn't set up a direct debit as it would fail (no funds) so he is left with no option but to break the law. Is this fair?

Magicalady wrote: »
    I think most people agree that there should be some form of property tax but it must be fair. This is not. You're in the lucky position to be able to pay but what about those who simply don't have the money?

A friend of mine is on back to work scheme and receives €141 a week. The government expect him to pay almost a full weeks money despite the fact his mortgage is 18 months in arrears (after being made redundant). He couldn't set up a direct debit as it would fail (no funds) so he is left with no option but to break the law. Is this fair?
    I never said I could afford it, I'm going to be of work in a month. However €8.33 a month should be managable (less than a packe of fags)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

Power in numbers people,we pay enough taxes already,it's not our fault the gamblers & shysters wasted the country's wealth.

Sounds easy when you say it like that but those people took advantage of Govt policies from '97 onwards, who put those Governments into power, yes, the people of Ireland and, in particular, the people of Wexford. Makes you think, doesn't it? Much as we would like to you cannot let people step away from the reality of what their voting choices delivered for this country.

yobr wrote: »
    Sounds easy when you say it like that but those people took advantage of Govt policies from '97 onwards, who put those Governments into power, yes, the people of Ireland and, in particular, the people of Wexford. Makes you think, doesn't it? Much as we would like to you cannot let people step away from the reality of what their voting choices delivered for this country.

True,then the people voted in FG on the promise of change and a fresh start but now we simply have more of the same.It's as if FF never left government.Also shame on Labour,once the party of the workers is now simply FG lite and the leaders are just yes men to Enda & Co.

I see FF have a big celebration banquet in The Riverside Park Hotel,wonder who'll be paying for that? Their former leader & his friends cost us €350 million to figure out they were crooks,something the dogs in the street knew.Despite this they are gona have a big party to pat each other on the back & tell themselves how great they are:rolleyes:

True,then the people voted in FG on the promise of change and a fresh start but now we simply have more of the same.It's as if FF never left government.Also shame on Labour,once the party of the workers is now simply FG lite and the leaders are just yes men to Enda & Co.

I think it is naive of people to think we could have change when (i) we were already signed up to these charges (household/property & water) courtesy of the Troika deal and (ii) we were taking in €33bn while spending €50bn, (approximately).

I don't remember signing up to any of the charges, in fact I remember that there was something in the fg manifesto saying they wouldn't bring in a household tax.

I want to know what I am going to get for my 100 quid

Water - seperate bill
    Bins - private company
    Roads - ain't that whst road tax is for
    Street lights - rural parish, so none of them
    Sanitation - septic tank, another charge
    Public amenities - would be nice if we got some

So what do I get? As far as I see it all that my money would do is fund these parasires in local government to arse about and feel selfimportant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I don't remember signing up to any of the charges, in fact I remember that there was something in the fg manifesto saying they wouldn't bring in a household tax.

I want to know what I am going to get for my 100 quid

Water - seperate bill
    Bins - private company
    Roads - ain't that whst road tax is for
    Street lights - rural parish, so none of them
    Sanitation - septic tank, another charge
    Public amenities - would be nice if we got some

So what do I get? As far as I see it all that my money would do is fund these parasires in local government to arse about and feel selfimportant

Your 100% correct there tzar

Nobody ever signs up for charges. In the same way that nobody ever signed up for the tax reductions that during the last decade. It does not really matter what the Fine Gael manifesto stated its what is in the Programme for Government that is what the Govt are going to do. That document supports the EU/IMF programme of support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

If theres any members on here of the Anti Household Tax campaign, fair play to you for all the hard work over the lase months its paid off when less then a third have paid in wexford.

http://www.enniscorthyguardian.ie/news/less-than-a-third-thought-to-have-paid-household-charge-3069203.html

Am Chile wrote: »
    If theres any members on here of the Anti Household Tax campaign, fair play to you for all the hard work over the lase months its paid off when less then a third have paid in wexford.

http://www.enniscorthyguardian.ie/news/less-than-a-third-thought-to-have-paid-household-charge-3069203.html
    You don't know if it has 'paid off' yet as no one knows how this game will play out. Some, like myself, paid up because it was the law. If there are no consequences for those that didn't pay, then we are the losers. If the dissenters are forced to stump up, with penalties, then they lose out.

Like I say, early days in the story of this sh1tty tax

Nice to see the poor frightened politicians are planning to make us pay for our own water meters now,that's roughly €500 a house before the charges even kick in.

Where do you get the €500 figure from?

yobr wrote: »
    Where do you get the €500 figure from?

Government touting €300 per meter but as we know by now that'll be a conservative estimate so expect to pay around €500.Those same meters cost around €60 so I don't know if the price the govt. quoted includes install costs.

Installation costs are going to be paid for by the Government

Meter cost is not decided yet .
    Enda Kenny said the cost will not include an installation charge because that will be covered by a loan from the National Pensions Reserve Fund
    Source : www.rte.ie

Great,the government are taking out another loan,they managed the previous loans so well:rolleyes:

€300 quote for a meter that costs a fraction of that:eek:

Are they calling it a 'loan' now?

I thought it was just a simple process of robbing from our pension funds, ya know like the sort of thing mere mortals go to jail for.

We should all make use of this bit of creative accounting

'Your honour I didn't steal from the company pension fund, it was merely a loan, granted I never made terms or had any capacity to pay it back, but shur enda says its fine'

• Advertisement

Are they calling it a 'loan' now?

I thought it was just a simple process of robbing from our pension funds, ya know like the sort of thing mere mortals go to jail for.

We should all make use of this bit of creative accounting

'Your honour I didn't steal from the company pension fund, it was merely a loan, granted I never made terms or had any capacity to pay it back, but shur enda says its fine'

Its only a temporary transfer of funds that are not needed until the year 2025 .

Is'nt the money just resting in the www.nprf.ie account at the moment .

Won't Enda personally see that its paid back on time . He has pledged that Ireland will not default !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement