Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the Lions helps keep our players playing over here to be honest. The vast majority, if not all, of our players want to play for them whereas in the SH between the RWC's they just have the Tri/Four Nations.

I think it was the Saffers after the 07 RWC who said they stayed together for the Lions in 09 as opposed to moving on.

Also didn't James Haskell play over there for abit?

I do wonder how lucrative it is for a HN player though. Currently it's 1GBP£ to 1.95NZ$ though it used to be 1 to 2.5 a few years ago. So if a guy is on say 750,000NZD in Japan (I've no idea here I'm just using it as a reference) that would very roughly equate to 384,600 GBP and used to be 300,000GBP which for the top earners in England I would have thought to be very attainable if not the average. I'd imagine if you go to Japan your sponsorship opportunities could be reduced so you'd have to factor that in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

SBW is the blueprint for the best possible 12 ever to play the game, and SBW doesn't even live up to that blueprint. He's still plays Union like it's League (sorta understandable). His off load has changed the game look at the amount of players now trying it as opposed to before. His strength is incredible yet he only shows it about a 1/5th of time and he has pretty decent speed for a guy that big.

I don't see why he gets all the hate for "abandoning" the game, it was never his game to begin with. League is what he knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

danthefan wrote: »
    Can't say how much this irritates me. Of course he wants to make as much money as he can. I certainly try to maximise my earnings, I assume you do as well, everyone does. Money is used like a dirty word by rugby supporters, it's idiotic.

SBW is in the bracket of earner that he'll never have to worry about money. They guy isn't some journeyman pro trying to guarantee his financial future, he's a superstar celeb.

No problem with him doing what he's doing, but if if he's not willing to commit to union I don't think he should be allowed come back in 3 years for a glory shot at the WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    SBW is in the bracket of earner that he'll never have to worry about money. They guy isn't some journeyman pro trying to guarantee his financial future, he's a superstar celeb.

No problem with him doing what he's doing, but if if he's not willing to commit to union I don't think he should be allowed come back in 3 years for a glory shot at the WC

who shouldnt allow him?the IRB? New Zealand? or do you just mean its bad sportsman ship? like in fairness new zealand will pick a team based on what they think are their best players, if Sonny is the best player, regardless of if he spent the last year performing fiddler on the roof on broadway does it really matter?

it is kind of one of them weird choices cos you would want to see a player play for your country that has played with the provinces and commited etc, but im sure they want the win more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The main issue people have with it is that it is the soccer mentality starting to creep in.

You often see players kissing the crest of a jersey of one team one week and then playing for the highest bidding team the next week.

It will only get worse from here and can be directly attributed to rugby going professional.

On a business level I would do the same. You only get a certain amount of years of professional rugby and you should aim to get as much money out of it as possible.

On a personal level I like seeing a bit of loyalty to a jersy, club and country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Would have loved to see SBW in 4N. IMO, at times he still looks like a league player having a go at rugby, but he has improved out of sight this year, and might have been on the verge of something special. His ball-greedy play at the end of the weekend's match was the first major mistake I have seen him make this year, and he apologised to the team afterwards apparently. But then again he scored a try that only he could score, so maybe they cancelled each other out.

From an AB point of view, at least this sideshow is out of the way...and there's still Nonu. Back-up to Nonu will be interesting, really don't rate carter as a 12, but I like Tamati Ellison. Doesn't quite give the opposition the heeby-jeebies like SBW, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I imagine Nonu will be at the airport to wave SB a tearful farewell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Nobody noticed how awful Steve Walsh was for the last 5 minutes of the Chiefs Crusaders game then. He could have given about 4 yellow cards and when it became obvious he wouldn't, the breakdown became a farce.

It was a wake up call for the Chiefs who have started getting tight decisions their way this season to come up against the Crusaders who still trump them in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

Here are my predictions for this weeks fixtures, I was one off from a full house (bloody warathas, was an awful game to watch)

Hurricanes vs Chiefs (Canes)
    Brumbies vs Blues (brumbies)
    Crusaders vs Western Force (saders )
    Reds vs Waratahs (reds)
    Stormers vs Melbourne Rebels (stormers)
    Sharks vs Cheetahs (sharks)
    Bulls vs Lions (Bulls)

What do others think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Here are my predictions for this weeks fixtures, I was one off from a full house (bloody warathas, was an awful game to watch)

Hurricanes vs Chiefs (Canes)
    Brumbies vs Blues (brumbies)
    Crusaders vs Western Force (saders )
    Reds vs Waratahs (reds)
    Stormers vs Melbourne Rebels (stormers)
    Sharks vs Cheetahs (sharks)
    Bulls vs Lions (Bulls)

What do others think ?

4/1 on paddy power for the above :)

• Advertisement

I think Chiefs are going to win. Planet Rugby's tipster does too, he called it right with Crusaders last week when everybody else was backing the Chiefs and this week he's predicting the Chiefs to win by 6.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16016_7891494,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Hey guys, ye seem like knowledgeable folk, especially about rugby in the southern hemisphere...

could ye help me out please? :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79691866&postcount=903

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

How was that try just awarded?

TMO must be a Hurricanes supporter. There's no way he could clearly see whether the ball was grounded or where.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Crusaders murdering the Force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Crusaders murdering the Force.

They really do have a ridiculous squad when you look at it. They've a WC winner warming the bench and the best 8 in the world missing too. Todd is the only non-international forward. The age profile is excellent too. A lot of guys in the 22-28 bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I can't believe the Brumbies have blown this.

This Stirzaker guy is some player.

Sharks shouldn't have got that 4th try. Now they might play Crusaders rather than the Reds who may be without Cooper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does anyone know who the winners of the Crusaders (4) v Bulls (5) and Reds (3) v Sharks (6) play?

Edit: Hmm this is a bit confusing
    Super Rugby Semi-final
    Teams - Stormers (1) v lowest ranked winner of week 1 (of playoffs)
    Super Rugby Semi-final
    Teams - Chiefs (2) v highest ranked winner of week 1 (of playoffs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Yeah the Stormers will play the lowest ranked team so the one team they can't play is the reds, if the reds win they play the winners of the other game. If the Sharks win the Stormers play the Sharks.

In theory stormers should win. On sat's form they will have to step up big time. A weeks rest could work against them. Time will tell. Great from a Saffa point of view to have 3 teams in playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

In theory stormers should win. On sat's form they will have to step up big time. A weeks rest could work against them. Time will tell. Great from a Saffa point of view to have 3 teams in playoffs.

Stormers play God awful rugby considering the backline they have. I hope they lose, ditto for the Bulls who repulse me in general. Really like the way the Sharks play they have a real chance against the Reds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

It will be a travesty if the team that scored the least number of tries in the regular season goes on to win the S15. For that reason alone, I hope the Stormers lose their semi-final. I would like to see a Chiefs v Crusaders final. For that to happen, Crusaders have to beat Bulls this weekend & hope Reds beat the Sharks, then the Crusaders have to beat Stormers and Chiefs have to beat the Reds.

Surely the SA teams are only there to make up the numbers. Crusaders vs Chiefs it is so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Sir John Kirwan will be the Auckland Blues Head coach next season - good man to get for them plus It means Joe Scmidt will still be in Ireland next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Swiwi wrote: »
    It will be a travesty if the team that scored the least number of tries in the regular season goes on to win the S15. For that reason alone, I hope the Stormers lose their semi-final. I would like to see a Chiefs v Crusaders final. For that to happen, Crusaders have to beat Bulls this weekend & hope Reds beat the Sharks, then the Crusaders have to beat Stormers and Chiefs have to beat the Reds.

Defense wins world cups, no reason it shouldn't win Super 15 as well. The Stormers game is based on a sound defense, nothing wrong with that.

Defense wins championships I hope. Chiefs to me look like the 2002 Warathas Vinatge. Great in group stages. Put a weak team out against saders and got creamed 60 odd nil or something and then lost to the Brumbies in the semi's the following week.

Stormers played kack and found a way to win against a poor rebels team. Hopefully it was a wake up call. The Sharks looked good, I fancy them to beat the Reds. Bulls v saders close game.

All I know is I can't wait for weekend.

I can't wait for the weekend too! And when the Super 15 is over there's the Rugby Championship to look forward to and then the "Clean Sweep II" All Blacks Autumn tour of Europe and then it's Heineken Cup time again....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

When there are a low number of tries being scored in the northern hemisphere its because our rugby lacks skill and is a slogfest. When the same happens in the Southern Hemisphere its because defense wins championships.

Advertisement