Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

I watched that game live on sat morning. Could not see the Canes winning, But they did. It opens up the NZ division.

I was hoping the highlanders did a number on the chiefs, but Chiefs were too big and strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I watched that game live on sat morning. Could not see the Canes winning, But they did. It opens up the NZ division.

I was hoping the highlanders did a number on the chiefs, but Chiefs were too big and strong.
    I have ESPN with magnet. Are they any good highlight programs on of the games?

Thanks.

I have ESPN with magnet. Are they any good highlight programs on of the games?

Thanks.

Most Super 15 games are on Sky or on Sky Live (internet).

Some excellent rugby on this weekend.
    I have cut the grass, stocked up food, beers and biltong.

Here are my predictions

Chiefs vs Crusaders (Crusaders)
    Reds vs Highlanders (reds)
    Sharks vs Bulls (sharks)
    Blues vs Western Force (Blues)
    Waratahs vs Brumbies (Warathas)
    Cheetahs vs Stormers (Stormers)
    Lions vs Melbourne Rebels (Lions)
    Sharks vs Bulls (Sharks)

What do others think?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Some excellent rugby on this weekend.
    I have cut the grass, stocked up food, beers and biltong.

Here are my predictions

Chiefs vs Crusaders (Crusaders)
    Reds vs Highlanders (reds)
    Sharks vs Bulls (sharks)
    Blues vs Western Force (Blues)
    Waratahs vs Brumbies (Warathas)
    Cheetahs vs Stormers (Stormers)
    Lions vs Melbourne Rebels (Lions)
    Sharks vs Bulls (Sharks)

What do others think?

I see you're really hoping for a Sharks' win there... ;)

I'd agree with everything, except I can see Chiefs winning their game.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    I see you're really hoping for a Sharks' win there... ;)

I want as many south African teams in the knock out stages.
    If chiefs win both their games, I cannot see them losing at home.

Stormers or Bulls I fancy to go all the way from a South African point of view.

We will know by 8pm on sat state of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Great run by Cruden at start of game, should have gotten the full 7 points. Crusaders fortunate enough that they got knock-on from carter kick at posts.

That guy with the bell in the crowd needs to DIE!!!!!

Crusaders have been the much better team since.

Chiefs making too many errors, including a couple of sloppy lineouts

FAR too many errors by Chiefs.

Where is SBW in this game??

What a little kick by Ellis.

Have to say Crusaders deserve their lead, much better so far.

ah seriously, this is nearly bad as those vuvuzela's! :D

What a cracking game this is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

21-28 and Crusaders are back to their winning ways. A vital win away - against the odds - and right down to the wire. Amongst other things the Chief's lineout badly misfiring and, of course, the return of Israel Dagg, Keiran Read and Dan 'drop-goal' Carter were instrumental in the victory. :D

.ak wrote: »

That's why I'm not a betting man. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know why I watched that as I recorded the game and was going to watch it later :confused:

It can be very deceptive watching SBW on TV as doesn't look that big but when you check his stats he is a monster (for a back that is). Six foot four and seventeen stone according to Wikipedia!

Edit: He was caught out there at the end when he crashed it up with an overlap outside him!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't know why I watched that as I recorded the game and was going to watch it later :confused:

It can be very deceptive watching SBW on TV as doesn't look that big but when you check his stats he is a monster (for a back that is). Six foot four and seventeen stone according to Wikipedia!

Edit: He was caught out there at the end when he crashed it up with an overlap outside him!

SBW is a huge unit. I saw him warming up in the autumn series and close up he is a monster.

He is still learning the trade. I think this is his last season in rugby union. Rumors in Sydney state he has signed for the Sydney Roosters (rugby league team). Mind you as a south African fan I am happy, as a rugby fan I am disappointed.

He could be back in 2 years as he is that young.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

SBW is a huge unit. I saw him warming up in the autumn series and close up he is a monster.

He is still learning the trade. I think this is his last season in rugby union. Rumors in Sydney state he has signed for the Sydney Roosters (rugby league team). Mind you as a south African fan I am happy, as a rugby fan I am disappointed.

He could be back in 2 years as he is that young.

His move to the Roosters seems to be set in stone now - there was rumours he would go to Japan to play for a year but this move makes more sense.

Crusaders were good last night, they are still favorites for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Funny comment on Wycliff Palu by the commentators.

He was holding his shoulder after falling and one of the commentators said:

"His shoulder is sore because they have to hold those massive biceps all day... look at those guns" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Funny comment on Wycliff Palu by the commentators.

He was holding his shoulder after falling and one of the commentators said:

"His shoulder is sore because they have to hold those massive biceps all day... look at those guns" :P

You can't beat the Aussie commentators for shooting from the hip. They were the highlight of yet another boring Australian derby.

The Waratahs are an embarrassment considering the squad they have. Murphy looked ok for the Brumbies when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Quinn Roux came off the bench for the stormers win against the cheetahs, he had more game time than last week but it wasn't a game for anyone to stand out; the awful conditions hampered both sides and it was a kicking duel by the time he came on. The highlight of Roux's play was nicking an opposition lineout from SA international Adriaan Strauss.

I'm not sure if it was intelligent play by Roux or bad from Strauss as his throwing went to pot late on; 3 lineouts in a row misfired; (Roux and Bekker stole one each and there was one overthrow) the commentator said he might have had a dislocation to one of his fingers which could explain the poor cheetah's lineout. It's hard to gauge much about Roux since his signing to Leinster was announced from the gametime he's gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Unbelievable. Lions 24-0 up and now it's 29-27 to the Rebels, though the last try was knocked on really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

But we pull it out, 37-32 and a bonus point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

so SBW is off to panasonic in japan for a 10 match deal worth 665,000 euros then off to play league for two years with a 1.7 million deal, and the NZRU has apparently said they will welcome him back for the 2015 world cup.

Its mad, hes one of the best players to come out since o driscoll, but his out look on the game is so different.

I really love this man, but hate him too. would actually follow a super team just to see him play but knowing hes gonna change all the time makes it hard. but tis his choice at the end of the day and hope he goes well and returns to the all blacks eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

wonton wrote: »
    so SBW is off to panasonic in japan for a 10 match deal worth 665,000 euros then off to play league for two years with a 1.7 million deal, and the NZRU has apparently said they will welcome him back for the 2015 world cup.

Its mad, hes one of the best players to come out since o driscoll, but his out look on the game is so different.

I really love this man, but hate him too. would actually follow a super team just to see him play but knowing hes gonna change all the time makes it hard. but tis his choice at the end of the day and hope he goes well and returns to the all blacks eventually.

No way. He's electrifying to watch but he's got some huge defects in his game too as illustrated with his incredibly poor decision making towards the end of this weekends game

No loss to the game AFAIC if money talks so much to him. It's not like he wouldn't be getting a huge pay deal staying with union

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    wonton wrote: »

No way. He's electrifying to watch but he's got some huge defects in his game too as illustrated with his incredibly poor decision making towards the end of this weekends game

No loss to the game AFAIC if money talks so much to him. It's not like he wouldn't be getting a huge pay deal staying with union
    Are you taking the piss are do you genuinely believe that just because he doesn't follow the norms he's no loss to rugby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

If Sonny Bill continues in his present trajectory it will be his loss as he will be remembered as a jack of all trades and master of none. Money seems to be his driving force, and who can blame him, but from a personal point of view I'd like to see him give up his flirtation with boxing/rugby league and move back to Crusaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Are you taking the piss are do you genuinely believe that just because he doesn't follow the norms he's no loss to rugby?

He's certainly exciting and would obviously draw a crowd, but if I was an AB fan I'd want to see him make his mind up or just move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Can't say how much this irritates me. Of course he wants to make as much money as he can. I certainly try to maximise my earnings, I assume you do as well, everyone does. Money is used like a dirty word by rugby supporters, it's idiotic.

I do think he's often unfairly titled an 'overrated' player. I think he's class. He's not O'Driscoll class imo, but he's a fantastic player and sparks any backline - he's the perfect modern day 12 imo; fast, powerful, and constantly looking for that offload.

As for his exploits with signing for big money deals - well, it is the professional era. You might not love him for it, but you can't exactly blame him either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

From a fans perspective, it's a shame that Japanese clubs throw crazy money at top players and therefore they are 'lost' to us in terms of watching them play, like Jerome Kaino, Jaque Fourie and now SBW.

You can't blame the players for going, it's brilliant money for a short season, meaning they have plenty of free time to spend that money! Plus it's a different lifestyle/culture in Japan etc. Thankfully it hasn't registered in European rugby (yet) that there's serious $$$ to be made in Japan.

Advertisement