Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sharks phenomenal in defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

molloyjh wrote: »
    Thought so too. Poor decision.

Why don't they just ask "have a look and make a decision", instead of these ambiguous questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sharks phenomenal in defence.

Reds offence hasn't exactly been sensational. Some really poor kicking from Genia....just as I say it he shows another poor kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Sharks offside and ref does nothing.
    They may as well be playing with no ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

God the Sharks are awesome. Solidifying their status as my second SH team, which means a lot when supporting the Lions.

• Advertisement

What we call in NZ "a minties moment". Glory dive...but a metre too short!

Sharks going straight off their feet at every breakdown. Reds lucky there. Where was the knock-on?

WTF was that from Bosman? Tackled by an invisible player?!

What a ball from Bismarck beforehand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Going off your feet is clearly an optional call. I want the Sharks to win but clearly Kaplan does too. At least 3 players went straight to ground and sealed off on two occasions on that breakaway with no sanction.

BdP's big one handed pass was great. Thought about a spin pass, realised he was a front rower and lobbed a big one hander!

I'd say Stormers and Chiefs will be a bit nervous about their semis...

• Advertisement

Swiwi wrote: »
    I'd say Stormers and Chiefs will be a bit nervous about their semis...

Sharks and Crusaders will be relishing their semi finals. Neither tie holds any fear for the away side. Sharks will be delighted to get a game only a 2 hour flight from home. Would say Chiefs and Stormers won't be best pleased to see two domestic teams visiting their respective stadiums.

At the end of the day, Reds were ranked 6th in regular season, so a fair reflection

GerM wrote: »
    Going off your feet is clearly an optional call. I want the Sharks to win but clearly Kaplan does too. At least 3 players went straight to ground and sealed off on two occasions on that breakaway with no sanction.

BdP's big one handed pass was great. Thought about a spin pass, realised he was a front rower and lobbed a big one hander!

Great step and awareness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What a superb tackle.

From a French point of view, surely Michalak is a better option than Trinh-Duc or Beauxis...

Unbelievable that Sharks weren't carded, that's 3/4 penalties conceded on their line in the last 20 minutes.

From a French point of view, surely Michalak is a better option than Trinh-Duc or Beauxis...

As a Toulon fan, I can't wait until he is sur la Rade. :D

However he'll find it difficult to get into the team, he won't start at 10 because Wilkinson is there while Tillous-Borde and Durand are on the books as scrum-halves. Apparently Michalak wants to play 9.

Unbelievable that Sharks weren't carded, that's 3/4 penalties conceded on their line in the last 20 minutes.

Kaplan used to be one of my fav refs (a few years ago now) but he is progressively worse with time

As a Toulon fan, I can't wait until he is sur la Rade. :D

However he'll find it difficult to get into the team, he won't start at 10 because Wilkinson is there while Tillous-Borde and Durand are on the books as scrum-halves. Apparently Michalak wants to play 9.

Wilkinson who? Glory days are a wee while ago now.

Wilkinson who? Glory days are a wee while ago now.

You're right but his status is legendary in Toulon, he won't get dropped. The supporters adore him.

• Advertisement

To paraphrase Longfellow, when he's good, he's very good indeed. But when he is bad, he is horrid.

One of the great entertainers and mercurial talents. Has had stinkers in some big games which will always count against him. Would love him to be Irish though. To have that level of talent that is originally a 9 but just as comfortable at 10 would be a massive boost to our squad. Still only 29 too after 11 years at the top level.

GerM wrote: »
    To paraphrase Longfellow, when he's good, he's very good indeed. But when he is bad, he is horrid.

One of the great entertainers and mercurial talents. Has had stinkers in some big games which will always count against him. Would love him to be Irish though. To have that level of talent that is originally a 9 but just as comfortable at 10 would be a massive boost to our squad. Still only 29 too after 11 years at the top level.

Better than Trinh-Duc who when he is average, he is average...which is most of the time. I agree Michalak can have a shocker, but the French attack has been pretty staid in recent years.

Better than Trinh-Duc who when he is average, he is average...which is most of the time. I agree Michalak can have a shocker, but the French attack has been pretty staid in recent years.

Trinh-Duc is solid enough. Rarely sets the world alight or takes the game by the scruff but performs his duties and doesn't cost his side. France are lacking a quality outhalf though, I'd agree. International rugby, even in France now, is generally quite conservative I think. Coaches tend to go with the known quantity and a percentage player. I would equate Michalak on form to being France's Quade Cooper. Electric player at times but has gone missing too many times.

I always think back to the game I went to in Toulouse in 2005 when Keith Gleeson gave him an absolute torrid afternoon. He suffered an implosion on the day in a big HEC knock out game. It's very hard to select someone when they risk this stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMiJv0mPVDM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just in from the Crusaders game via a slight pub crawl and what a game - Richie McCaw has reinvented himself at No.8., Dan Carter - some super passing and a what a drop goal - in the context of the game not that important but certainly was to my Crusaders (-13.5) in the first half bet. Morné Steyn won't forget his visit to Christchurch for a long time. Thank you God and onto Hamilton to smash the hapless Chiefs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Thought the Bulls were as bad as the Crusaders were good. Chiefs should beat them if they hold their nerve. A Chiefs/Sharks final would be a cracker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The highlights for the two games are up on RugbyDump: http://www.rugbydump.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

Great win for the Sharks. They did chance their RM. Kaplan had an intresting game. I would like to see Neutral refs at knockout time.

Bulls were poor. They only had 1 game plan that did not work. fair play to crusaders.
    Chiefs v Crusaders i hope Chiefs win (will have to make sure their set piece is on form)
    Sharks v Stormers ( i cannot see past stormers) due to airmiles the sharks have racked up

I hope for a Chiefs v Stormers final.

Bring on fri and sat.

p.s what a great week for saffa's sports fans

Proteas whop england in cricket
    Ernie wins open
    2 teams in semis of super 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

If the Sharks win (and I think they will) they'll have to fly back to Kiwi for the final! Talk about doing it tough :eek:

Great news for SA rugby in that Woeful Oliver is off to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

serious pace and aggression in the first 20 mins of this first semi-final.

Chiefs with most of the play but not converting it into points.
    Scratch that last part - try for the Chiefs....dubious in the end but great build up play and deserved to get a tryout of it.
    SBW playing really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Missed the first try... but Saders looking like their buckling. :( Could be an epic second half tho.

Advertisement