Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst punishment imposed by your parents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

my mam gave me a clatter on the thigh when i was about 10 and then when she realised how hard she hit me, (there was a red handprint on my leg an hour later) she was so apologetic and licky to me, hahaha.
    She also thought she was all posh when she tried to cook spinach when I was about 6, I couldnt chew it properly (still cant) but she made me sit there till it was all gone. I puked three times during that meal, I still had to continue eating, lol:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Friel wrote: »
    I remember one day I lost it, thought I was a big man and reached for my dads shirt collar. He had me pinned to the wall before I even knew what was happening. Nearly shat myself. Been about 5 years and I haven't stood up to him since.
    I still remember fondly the time I left my da on the floor. It's a warm fuzzy feeling that never quite leaves you. He hasn't attempted to raise a fist to me since (mind you I'm near 40 now but that was 20 odd years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Decided to turn veggie when I was about 15. Mam decided it was just a phase but she wanted to snap me out of it so she cooked me 30 brussel sprouts and made me eat every last one. Puked 4 times and cried the whole time. But by god I ate them all, took me about 3 hours, and 5 years later I'm still veggie :P Far too stubborn for my own good, I can still taste the bloody things :(

One time she was looking for a dvd and she decided that I had taken it so she asked me where it was and I said I hadn't seen it. She decided I was lying and kicked ten shades of sh!te out of me, had me down on the floor kicking me and then leant down and spat in my face. Over a fúcking dvd! My sister arrived home to me lying on the floor balling and it turned out she had taken it to watch the night before. Not only was it a ridiculous thing to get that crazy over but it wasn't even me. Never even got an apology. Beatings were regular enough but the spitting in my face and the irrationality of it all makes that one the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Decided to turn veggie when I was about 15. Mam decided it was just a phase but she wanted to snap me out of it so she cooked me 30 brussel sprouts and made me eat every last one. Puked 4 times and cried the whole time. But by god I ate them all, took me about 3 hours, and 5 years later I'm still veggie :P Far too stubborn for my own good, I can still taste the bloody things :(

One time she was looking for a dvd and she decided that I had taken it so she asked me where it was and I said I hadn't seen it. She decided I was lying and kicked ten shades of sh!te out of me, had me down on the floor kicking me and then leant down and spat in my face. Over a fúcking dvd! My sister arrived home to me lying on the floor balling and it turned out she had taken it to watch the night before. Not only was it a ridiculous thing to get that crazy over but it wasn't even me. Never even got an apology. Beatings were regular enough but the spitting in my face and the irrationality of it all makes that one the worst.

That is an absolute fcuking disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Your own mother spat in your face.I've heard it all now christ almighty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Jesus... I wouldn't spit on my worst enemy. How anyone could beat their own child like that and then spit on them... that is abhorrent. And the worst thing about this is that parents believe they have a right to do whatever they like to their children and they rear up like a cobra on anyone who dares question them.

I recall a time when I witnessed a mother flaking and giving out to her son (a little boy of about 5). He had genuinely done nothing wrong, and she was absolutely lambasting him and really hurting him. I would rarely step in, but I hate to see innocent little kids in pain, so I shouted "Oi! What are you doing?!"

the response:

"Mind your own bloody business! He's my kid and I'll do what I want. Fúck off!"

Some people should not be allowed to have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

DazMarz wrote: »

Jesus... I wouldn't spit on my worst enemy. How anyone could beat their own child like that and then spit on them... that is abhorrent. And the worst thing about this is that parents believe they have a right to do whatever they like to their children and they rear up like a cobra on anyone who dares question them.

I recall a time when I witnessed a mother flaking and giving out to her son (a little boy of about 5). He had genuinely done nothing wrong, and she was absolutely lambasting him and really hurting him. I would rarely step in, but I hate to see innocent little kids in pain, so I shouted "Oi! What are you doing?!"

the response:

"Mind your own bloody business! He's my kid and I'll do what I want. Fúck off!"

Some people should not be allowed to have children.

I will never understand this mentality, it's as if some people feel they have the right to destroy someone's life and beat them because they're their kid.

I was in town one day with my Ma and she saw some utter scumbag beating her child senseless over, from what I could tell, hitting his younger brother over a toy or something. So my Ma confronted her and asked her what the hell did he do to deserve a beating worthy of someone charged with murder, and she was roared at by this knacker shouting how it's her kid and she'll beat the **** out of him if she wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

I know there are some disturbed stories on here, but to give a child a few smacks across the back of theirr legs is hardly a crime. Kids are allowed to get away with far too much these days and they are totally spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Haruki

Got a few smacks of the wooden spoon in my time, all well deserved. But reading some posts on this thread...well, its been a hard read.

Yep, worst thing anyones ever done to me. She was in a real shítty place at the time but that's still no excuse. Also hate the fact that I'm the oldest when I watch my younger siblings do far worse things that I've done and not get punished.

Don't wanna make the thread all depressing, thought the brussel sprouts thing might lighten the post a bit but that didn't work. So yeah not my parents but if we were late for a certain teachers class she used to make us stand at the front of the class and do the dance for that macdonalds, kfc, chicken hut song. Public humiliation made sure we were always all on time from then on :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Reading this thread has made me realise that quite a few posters in AH were not disciplined, they were abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Your mother is a fucking lunatic, she needs help.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Your mother is a fucking lunatic, she needs help.

She got it, that day was pretty much the turning point cause she knew I was gone if she didn't. She's like a different person with my siblings now and tbf they're far wilder than I ever was. Sucked to be me but good for them which makes me happy so all's well that ends well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

She got it, that day was pretty much the turning point cause she knew I was gone if she didn't. She's like a different person with my siblings now and tbf they're far wilder than I ever was. Sucked to be me but good for them which makes me happy so all's well that ends well. :)

Well I sincerely hope she has changed her ways and I have to say you have a remarkably good attitude considering what she did to you. A parent imposing a harsh punishment is one thing but the details in your post can only be described as violent child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

I remember my childhood with no great pleasure, being the oldest of 5, I suffered more than any of my siblings. I was beaten from a very early age, around 3 or 4, with a sally rod across the back of my knees up to my lower back, that time I was in a neighbours car just beside the house, was pretending to drive, as you do when you are a child, and let the handbrake go and the car rolled gently into the front of the house, no major damage to either house or car but boy did I suffer.
    Getting clothes or shoes dirty was a big no no too, I remember been chased around the house and me locking myself in the bathroom, only for the lock to be broken and me being hauled out for the inevitable beating, with a belt if i remember correctly, also while learning my multiplication tables at home one evening, i remember my mother beating me with a belt around the room, because i failed to grasp it completely.
    Another time I remember being whacked with the handle of a brush so hard on the elbow that the handle broke in two and hit the light bulb above and smashed it.
    I wasn't a bad kid,I was never malicious or nasty to anyone.
    I remember escaping to my room to read books for hours on end, Enid Blyton being my favourite, reading about kids who had adventurous lives and loving parents and wishing it was me.
    This continued for a year or two into my teens before it finally stopped, it was usually my mother who beat me and one day, she came up with the belt to my room for something else, I raised my hand and grabbed the belt as hard as i could and she struggled a lot but eventually gave up,she realised from that day forward the beatings would stop.
    Twenty years on and just writing these words has me teared up, I can never forgive my mother and she has never apologised for anything. I went to college, got my degree and lead a pretty good life but whoever says your childhood is supposed to be the best years of your life was having a laugh. Sorry for the long post but just writing it has helped me a little as i have never put this into words before.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

franklyon wrote: »
    I remember my childhood with no great pleasure, being the oldest of 5, I suffered more than any of my siblings. I was beaten from a very early age, around 3 or 4, with a sally rod across the back of my knees up to my lower back, that time I was in a neighbours car just beside the house, was pretending to drive, as you do when you are a child, and let the handbrake go and the car rolled gently into the front of the house, no major damage to either house or car but boy did I suffer.
    Getting clothes or shoes dirty was a big no no too, I remember been chased around the house and me locking myself in the bathroom, only for the lock to be broken and me being hauled out for the inevitable beating, with a belt if i remember correctly, also while learning my multiplication tables at home one evening, i remember my mother beating me with a belt around the room, because i failed to grasp it completely.
    Another time I remember being whacked with the handle of a brush so hard on the elbow that the handle broke in two and hit the light bulb above and smashed it.
    I wasn't a bad kid,I was never malicious or nasty to anyone.
    I remember escaping to my room to read books for hours on end, Enid Blyton being my favourite, reading about kids who had adventurous lives and loving parents and wishing it was me.
    This continued for a year or two into my teens before it finally stopped, it was usually my mother who beat me and one day, she came up with the belt to my room for something else, I raised my hand and grabbed the belt as hard as i could and she struggled a lot but eventually gave up,she realised from that day forward the beatings would stop.
    Twenty years on and just writing these words has me teared up, I can never forgive my mother and she has never apologised for anything. I went to college, got my degree and lead a pretty good life but whoever says your childhood is supposed to be the best years of your life was having a laugh. Sorry for the long post but just writing it has helped me a little as i have never put this into words before.

Yet another disgraceful "parent" in this thread.

It always amazes me in this absolutely stupid country that you don't need a license to have a child but you do need a license to have a fcucking dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

My mum took away my Castle Greyskull one time.

Tough few days, truth be told.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

kneeler wrote: »
    Do you call being walloped on your bare bottom with a heavy leather strap reasonable? That is what I and my three sisters used to get from our mom. Hand spanking until about 8 or 9. Hairbrush until about 12 or 13 and after that the strap. One day my older sister, when she was 17, bought some sweets with change she was supposed to bring back to mom. In order to make an example of her for stealing, she was spanked in front of us. Her bottom was purple after the strap. Then she had the paste put on. We were all terrified.

For stealing, at that age, it was a very light punishment. I assume none of the rest of you stole anything afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Kosseegan wrote: »
    For stealing, at that age, it was a very light punishment. I assume none of the rest of you stole anything afterwards?

It's not a punishment. It's a crime.

If you can't explain to your children why stealing is wrong and instil in them real morals, instead resorting to abuse and instilling fear, that's simply bad parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I remember my brothers offered me 50p to say a certain phrase to my Dad when I was about 6 years old. 50p was a fortune in those days so I had no hesitation and accepted. The told me the phrase and then positioned themselves in the living room, with my Dad in his usual spot in an armchair in front of the fire. I came through the door and walked straight up to him. He looked at me bemused as I uttered the words:

"My name is Bond, Penis Bond"

I was sent to kneel the corner of the room but how he ever kept a straight face to that only he knows :) Needless to say the 50p was never paid :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The spoon, the spoon, the wooden spoooooooon.
    I got a clout with a shovel once as well. Near knocked me out. I dont think he actually meant to hit me that hard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My mate used to get bad beatings from his mother when we were around 8-10. I told him to hit her back (not sure why I said it). Anyway he headbutted her and ran away. I remember everyone looking for him but noone knew why he ran away. They found him later that day but I never heard if my advice worked :D

mloc wrote: »
    It's not a punishment. It's a crime.

If you can't explain to your children why stealing is wrong and instil in them real morals, instead resorting to abuse and instilling fear, that's simply bad parenting.

Stealing is a crime, spanking is not. Proper punishment teaches proper morals.

Stealing is a crime, spanking is not. Proper punishment teaches proper morals.

Nope, proper instruction teaches proper morals. Violent punishment conditions fear-based behaviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Worst punishment was being put into a cult at age 16 for 10 months. I was a wee bit too wild (got caught drinking) and so I was perma-grounded and forced into the Jehovah's Witnesses. I was only allowed to leave because I starting believing their crap and it scared my mother when I told her the devil was trying to bring us on the path to hell. So yeah a bit heavy handed on that occasion but other than that and a few other episodes I have brill parents:D.

Is this recent, or are we talking a few decades ago? I remember hearing stories from aunties of things like this happening in the 1930s

There was a lot less crime that time. Hardly a coincidence.

That is such a hilariously ridiculous statement.

Can you please demonstrate how it is not a coincidence, citing, in as much detail as you can, the effects of multiple confounding political and social factors and also the continuously developing definition of what crime is, and how it is reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There were however two world wars. Hardly a coincidence, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Anyone else hoping Kosseegan never has kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

Kids getting smacked is believe it or not still legal. I was smacked often as a sprog, and it did me the world of good, taught me right from wrong. When I have sprogs myself I will give them a few smacks when they are deserving of a few. I turned out ok,and I'm hoping my kids will aswell.

Advertisement