Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst punishment imposed by your parents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My shotgun wedding to my second cousin when I turned 18.

Featured on My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding though, so not all bad boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

mixednuts wrote: »
    You my friend are gonna make one fantastic Guard .

Or a novelist.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

paky wrote: »
    my parents got so angry with me after i dropped out of college that they through me out of the house. they then got a barring order against me from entering the house again. i didn't speak to them for 6 months after. when i started speaking to them again things were never the same and i don't think they ever will be the same again.

When I was 9 I was a a tiny bit wild and my mother was also my school principal and my Father was a powerful member of the garda. Because I was a bit wild, relations were strained, but one day during the Halloween break I took the keys of the school and me and my cousins went in and did a bit of messing, nothing major, didn't do any damage like. But my mother copped that they keys were missing and landed down to the school and we were caught in the act. She dragged us home, rang her sister (my cousins mother), and gane me a hiding with my brother's steel ruler he used for some school subject. I thought that was it, an maybe a few clatters from my father when he got home, but it wasn't. Later on that night my father and another garda arrived at the house and arrested me,. Along with my mother and a different gard, they put me in a room and made me sign a statement, and clattered me across the head about 20 times during the interview. They threw me in a cell until 12 noon the following day. My Father drove me home in an unmarked car, and there was complete silence from him. When I got in to the house, my mother told me that I was expelled, and that she was washing her hands totally of me. There was total silence towards me in the house after that, no one hardly spoke a word to me, only my oldest sister. After a while it transpired that I was been charged with Tresspassing. I remember the court case was just before Christmas, and I couldn't think about anything else. I wished I would just die. At the case, the judge gave me a bollocking, my mother stood up and gave evidence that i was a horrible child and she had no choice but to expel me. To this day I can see the hatred in her eyes as she gave evidence. After Christmas I was made to go to a school in Clonmel, for kids like me. Even when I came home on holidays I just hung around at my grandaunt's. everytime i would be at home, they would just cut me down to ****, saying I was a source of embarrassment and I wouldn't amount to anything. Well **** them, I inherited 2 farms from my grandaunts and a neighbour who I helped with the farmwork, when I left that dump,. I sold some land a few years ago and bought a bar/restaurant/mini hotel that is now thriving despite the recession. Now I would cross the road when I see my parents. Even though I am successful, I am scarred mentally for life. I hate them so much. I'm now in a long term relation, that I hope will end up in marraige, but the thought of kids scares the **** out of me, even though I know I want to have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

my da once made me eat a packet of ciggerettes... ( cotton filter remoed )...

:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

my parents got so angry with me after i dropped out of college that they through me out of the house. they then got a barring order against me from entering the house again. i didn't speak to them for 6 months after. when i started speaking to them again things were never the same and i don't think they ever will be the same again.

When I was 9 I was a a tiny bit wild and my mother was also my school principal and my Father was a powerful member of the garda. Because I was a bit wild, relations were strained, but one day during the Halloween break I took the keys of the school and me and my cousins went in and did a bit of messing, nothing major, didn't do any damage like. But my mother copped that they keys were missing and landed down to the school and we were caught in the act. She dragged us home, rang her sister (my cousins mother), and gane me a hiding with my brother's steel ruler he used for some school subject. I thought that was it, an maybe a few clatters from my father when he got home, but it wasn't. Later on that night my father and another garda arrived at the house and arrested me,. Along with my mother and a different gard, they put me in a room and made me sign a statement, and clattered me across the head about 20 times during the interview. They threw me in a cell until 12 noon the following day. My Father drove me home in an unmarked car, and there was complete silence from him. When I got in to the house, my mother told me that I was expelled, and that she was washing her hands totally of me. There was total silence towards me in the house after that, no one hardly spoke a word to me, only my oldest sister. After a while it transpired that I was been charged with Tresspassing. I remember the court case was just before Christmas, and I couldn't think about anything else. I wished I would just die. At the case, the judge gave me a bollocking, my mother stood up and gave evidence that i was a horrible child and she had no choice but to expel me. To this day I can see the hatred in her eyes as she gave evidence. After Christmas I was made to go to a school in Clonmel, for kids like me. Even when I came home on holidays I just hung around at my grandaunt's. everytime i would be at home, they would just cut me down to ****, saying I was a source of embarrassment and I wouldn't amount to anything. Well **** them, I inherited 2 farms from my grandaunts and a neighbour who I helped with the farmwork, when I left that dump,. I sold some land a few years ago and bought a bar/restaurant/mini hotel that is now thriving despite the recession. Now I would cross the road when I see my parents. Even though I am successful, I am scarred mentally for life. I hate them so much. I'm now in a long term relation, that I hope will end up in marraige, but the thought of kids scares the **** out of me, even though I know I want to have some.
    you are lucky your parents were not strict. mine would have absolutely lost it if i had behaved as you did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Your poor parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

my mother went to the courts. it was pretty traumatic. the day i refused to go to court i was at home in my parents house. that morning she came and told me to go to court. i didn't think she was serious so i laughed at her. she came back in with the telephone and smashed it off my head. :pac:

i rarely speak to them anymore

That's abhorrent, there should be a some sort of criteria for getting barring orders as this is just an abuse of the court services. At the very least the other party should be given notice by way of a solicitor beforehand.

You should definitely make a complaint to the Garda about the telephone incident but it was over 6 mths not sure it can be processed.

Can you be charged at the age of 9. Must have been a long while ago. The minimum age for matters such as this is 12 years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This one time, on holidays, they tried to sell me to a market owner who sold fine spices in China.

Luckily I escaped and found them again, they really are unreasonable at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

As an 8-year-old boy I was left behind while my family flew to France for Christmas, and I had to defend my home against idiotic burglars. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 player101

I remeber years ago, i must have been only 8-10, I was playing football with a group of lads who were 13-15, well to young to be hanging around iwth them but it was football so my mam didnt care, Game ended, the lads thought it cool to write on the lamp post beside the field where we were playing, me being so young and impressionable thought it was cool and proceeded to draw my name (my first name nothing else!!), i ended up with black marker all over my hands, went in to wash it off and my mam caught me and wanted to know where i got all th eblack marks from i told her... (worst mistake of my life but prob best thing to do) she dragged me into the kitchen and got loads of cleaning stuff, then dragged me out into the middle of all of the lads and made me was the lamp post, i remember them all laughing and stuff, really helped though I was to embarresed to go near them again and I never put a foot out of line again...

Got the occasional wooden spoon threat but nothing worth talking about..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

No dessert if I didn't eat my brussel sprouts :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

The usual threats of wooden spoons and "i'm so disappointed in you" chats. But then my ma (single mother) left us all to live alone when i was about 12.
    Got myself through school and moved away as soon as I could and my mother couldn't understand why I was so eager to leave home. Eh, because I'd been raising myself for the last 5 years maybe :rolleyes:
    It's all good now but yeah, I look back and realise how messed up it all was. At the time it seemed fine :o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

jester77 wrote: »
    No dessert if I didn't eat my brussel sprouts :mad:

It's ok it was only tinned fruit cocktail and ice cream wafers :pac:

And you didn't eat your brussel sprouts??? Shame on you!

pirelli wrote: »
    Can you be charged at the age of 9. Must have been a long while ago. The minimum age for matters such as this is 12 years old now.

It was 1990- 1991. and I think the minimum age back then was 6 maybe 7. I'd have preferred if they gave me an unmerciful beating, went to far and ended up killing me. Atleast they'd be the ones before the court, but then again my Father would have probably pulled a few strings. Atleast I would have been free from my miserable childhood.

you are lucky your parents were not strict. mine would have absolutely lost it if i had behaved as you did.
    Trust me, I would have preferred your Parents, no matter how bad they lost it, even if they killed me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 kneeler

Your parents are psychos.

How can you make a statement like that? You don't know me or my parents. You don't know what I did to deserve punishment. Anyway it was only my mom who dragged out punishments. There was always corner time involved in her punishments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

My Da was a holy Joe and he use to make me go to Sunday mass and at mass I could never work out what I was been punished for.

It was 1990- 1991. and I think the minimum age back then was 6 maybe 7. I'd have preferred if they gave me an unmerciful beating, went to far and ended up killing me. Atleast they'd be the ones before the court, but then again my Father would have probably pulled a few strings. Atleast I would have been free from my miserable childhood.

6 years old doing hard time!! It was 7 years old but there was a rebuttle of guilt so you couldn't have been convicted maybe prosecuted.Technically it is 14 years old now. As there is a rebuttle of guilt between 12 and 14.

Sounds like they were trying to teach you a lesson and didn't realise the harm they were doing. They went too far and abused their positions in my opinion to make a point.

kneeler wrote: »
    How can you make a statement like that? You don't know me or my parents. You don't know what I did to deserve punishment. Anyway it was only my mom who dragged out punishments. There was always corner time involved in her punishments.

Maybe he thinks, your male, and been made wear a dress is kinda psychotic. No offence but that's what I first thought when I read it, but I'm presuming your a woman, so don't think there is anything psychotic about what your parents did. Sorry, don't know why I thought you were a male

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

kneeler wrote: »

Maybe he thinks, your male, and been made wear a dress is kinda psychotic. No offence but that's what I first thought when I read it, but I'm presuming your a woman, so don't think there is anything psychotic about what your parents did. Sorry, don't know why I thought you were a male

That's weird I thought male too.

6 years old doing hard time!! It was 7 years old but there was a rebuttle of guilt so you couldn't have been convicted maybe prosecuted.Technically it is 14 years old now. As there is a rebuttle of guilt between 12 and 14.

Sounds like they were trying to teach you a lesson and didn't realise the harm they were doing. They went too far and abused their positions in my opinion to make a point.

Yeah but it doesn't make it any easier, I could understand their stance if I murdered one of my kids. This might be hard to believe but they didn't speak to me even remotely civil since that incident. Counselling I received, even made me hate them even more, because it made me understand that what they did is totally ****ed up. To make it worse is that I adored them before that incident. Relations were a bit strainedyes, because my teacher at the time would always report me to my mom, her been the principal etc. But it would always only be a few clatters and everything would be back to normal after a few hours. The lesson they tried to teach is stiill going on. They have never made the effort to reconsile, but I don't think I ever could forgive them.
    Yeah I know I haven't a record, because once I filled out a garda vetting form, for coaching GAA. I mentioned nothing about the cort appearance and clonmel, and I was cleared regardlless. Someone told me that if you dont put down convictions etc, it will come back that you lied on it.

Yeah but it doesn't make it any easier, I could understand their stance if I murdered one of my kids. This might be hard to believe but they didn't speak to me even remotely civil since that incident. Counselling I received, even made me hate them even more, because it made me understand that what they did is totally ****ed up. To make it worse is that I adored them before that incident. Relations were a bit strainedyes, because my teacher at the time would always report me to my mom, her been the principal etc. But it would always only be a few clatters and everything would be back to normal after a few hours. The lesson they tried to teach is stiill going on. They have never made the effort to reconsile, but I don't think I ever could forgive them.
    Yeah I know I haven't a record, because once I filled out a garda vetting form, for coaching GAA. I mentioned nothing about the cort appearance and clonmel, and I was cleared regardlless. Someone told me that if you dont put down convictions etc, it will come back that you lied on it.

A few clatter's from you ma or from your da?

I meant if I murdered one of my siblings:eek:

A few clatter's from you ma or from your da?

Both.she would give me a few smacks and then she'd tell him when he got home and he'd give another few harder ones, he used to take off his belt to me a good few times. It stung like hell, but that's not my issue, that was run of the mill discipline for the times. When I have kids myself i prob give them a smack on the arse when their out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

They made me live in the cellar for 10 years and i survived on dog food and drain water,but how we laugh at it now looking back!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

My Father made me and my sisters cut the grass in the back and front gardens with scissors as a punishment when we were kids.The grass was about 2 foot long, it took fecking forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

I know it wasn't punishment as such, but do yee remember the vile tasting worm doses that kids were made take .In my case it was a few times a year, and most times I wouldn't even have worms. It tasted absolutely rotten. yuck:mad: The things parents do. In my eyes it was punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Kerry hawk wrote: »
    I know it wasn't punishment as such, but do yee remember the vile tasting worm doses that kids were made take .In my case it was a few times a year, and most times I wouldn't even have worms. It tasted absolutely rotten. yuck:mad: The things parents do. In my eyes it was punishment.

Oh my god was it that manky blood red one? I will never forget that vile fecking stuff:eek:

• Advertisement

Both.she would give me a few smacks and then she'd tell him when he got home and he'd give another few harder ones, he used to take off his belt to me a good few times. It stung like hell, but that's not my issue, that was run of the mill discipline for the times. When I have kids myself i prob give them a smack on the arse when their out of line.

Well if she is giving you a few smacks then it is hypocritical. A school principle doesn't usually slap a school pupil. However you get expelled an over reaction just to show no favouritism as your her child. A normal school pupil might not get expelled and certainly wouldn't be smacked. A normal school pupil doesn't have his mother contacted everytime he does something wrong, she sounds very inconsiderate towards you. They both misused their authority to cause you harm.

Advertisement