Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst punishment imposed by your parents

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    As I got older I started to stand up for myself and was threathened with a blacktorn stick if I didnt stop.

There is a big difference between being threatened and getting it. It appears that you were never punished at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 kneeler

Whatever about punishing your child when they've deliberately gone and done something they know is wrong, but punishing kids for making mistakes ? Christ that's awful. Everyone makes mistakes, and to err is human. What sort of a message does it send your child if you whack them for spilling milk ? Just get them to clean up the mess and leave it at that. Hitting them for making a mistake when they didn't mean to do it is awful.

Punishment often means the same mistake is not repeated. When I was 14, mom was away visiting my grandmother who was sick. I split milk in the kitchen during tea. Daddy told me to bend over a kitchen chair and lift up my skirt. then he pulled down my knickers and gave me 8 strokes ( it would have been 6 but I jumped up after 2 and he told my sister to hold my shoulders and then he started again) with his cane. I did not spill milk after that.
    Making a mistake is often a sign of carelessness and failing to pay attention. I found that I did not repeat things I was punished for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

There is a big difference between being threatened and getting it. It appears that you were never punished at all.

ah to be far though, theirs nothing worse then a few smacks when ye didn't deserve it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

kneeler wrote: »
    then he pulled down my knickers and gave me 8 strokes ( it would have been 6 but I jumped up after 2 and he told my sister to hold my shoulders and then he started again) with his cane. .

You should have held on tightly to the chair and you would not have jumped up.

Mod note: user banned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Got locked in the shed for two days, that sucked real bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Punishment often means the same mistake is not repeated. When I was 14, mom was away visiting my grandmother who was sick. I split milk in the kitchen during tea. Daddy told me to bend over a kitchen chair and lift up my skirt. then he pulled down my knickers and gave me 8 strokes ( it would have been 6 but I jumped up after 2 and he told my sister to hold my shoulders and then he started again) with his cane. I did not spill milk after that.
    Making a mistake is often a sign of carelessness and failing to pay attention. I found that I did not repeat things I was punished for.

For ****'s sake. Please, if you're not already doing so, get therapy now before it's too late. Your father was a sadist, a pervert and a child abuser. THIS IS NOT NORMAL OR ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOUR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

For ****'s sake. Please, if you're not already doing so, get therapy now before it's too late. Your father was a sadist, a pervert and a child abuser. THIS IS NOT NORMAL OR ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOUR.

I was desperately hoping it was a troll, because it's fcuking sick.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kosseegan wrote: »

And you can **** off with yourself. You sick сunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

That was harsh, i remember we used to get a think leather belt across our bare rear ends (just for breaking a mug) but that stopped when we were around 11/12. Had started to clam down a bit and we started being better behaved.

Im lucky i was able to forgive my dad for beating me, i realised it wasnt his fault, he didnt know any better as far as he was concerned we were getting of easy, he had much much harsher punishments by his evil parents ( he was damaged after what they did to him). I/we learned from his mistakes and the cycle of violence ceased with us kids. Im glad we put these things behind us before he died (almost 3 years ago).

I hope you are getting over what happened to you, for someone to do that at teenage years is unexcepable. The beating was bad enough but to do it on your bare skin was really too far. I hope that you are able to stand up to your dad now. If not then please seek help those actions are not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Kosseegan wrote: »

post reported, yeah it's AH but posters are opening their hearts to tell us about their painful experiences and all you can do is make fun of them and troll. Take a long, hard look at yourself.

• Advertisement

franklyon wrote: »
    post reported, yeah it's AH but posters are opening their hearts to tell us about their painful experiences and all you can do is make fun of them and troll. Take a long, hard look at yourself.
    Agreed!

Time to put this thread to bed I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

I don't get you, it's like one minute your cutting your parents down to ****, over your childhood, and the other your appreciating the punishment they gave you. I'm sorry, but I spotted it several times in your posts. I know your Parents will always be your parents, and blood in away thicker than water, but which is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It is not uncommon for children of abusive parents to have mixed feelings towards them. Many have mood swings and are negative at some times and positive at others. There may be gratitude for the good things parents have done for them and hatred at the bad things. These feelings may co-exist. I think it is unfair to castigate a poster who has survived those experiences for inconsistency. I am sure it was not easy for the poster to describe the experiences and her feelings. I am sure it was traumatic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

n.If that is the case, half the parents in Ireland and England must have been perverted, sadistic child abusers. Canes used to be sold openly in shops up to the 1980s. Teachers who didn't use canes were considered soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

It's somewhat amusing that the generation who complain that the current "youth" generation are "out of control" are the ones responsible for:

a) the economic ruin of our country
    b) years of cover up of serious, sexual child abuse of the church
    c) totally illogical social conservatism and inequality, particularly for homosexuals
    d) tired, crony local politics played out at a national level over several decades

But then, it "never did me any harm", right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

mloc wrote: »
    It's somewhat amusing that the generation who complain that the current "youth" generation are "out of control" are the ones responsible for:

c) totally illogical social conservatism and inequality, particularly for homosexuals
    d) tired, crony local politics played out at a national level over several decades

I miss those days:(
    Change is such a bad thing:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cassElliot

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Why don't you "blame the parents"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 kneeler

Kerry hawk wrote: »
    I don't get you, it's like one minute your cutting your parents down to ****, over your childhood, and the other your appreciating the punishment they gave you. I'm sorry, but I spotted it several times in your posts. I know your Parents will always be your parents, and blood in away thicker than water, but which is it?

I didn't like some of the punishments that I got, but my parents weren't the worst. Most of my friends got the same or worse at home. My parents never swiped out in anger and battered away like happened to some of my friends. You were always called up and asked if you knew what you had done and if you knew it was against the rules. Then they announced the punishment, how many blows and how much wall time. they never went over that. I tried not o break the rules and I wasn't punished very often really. After the caning when I was 14 I only got one more caning, when I was 17. I came home from the pictures at 12.10 AM and got 12 strokes on my bare bottom. Mostly I was spanked by mom. caning is a harder punishment than spanking but I found that it took longer with the oatmeal and bread soda afterwards. After a caning you could go straight to your room and lie face down on the bed and wait for the sting to go away. My parents did the best they could.

I didn't like some of the punishments that I got, but my parents weren't the worst. Most of my friends got the same or worse at home. My parents never swiped out in anger and battered away like happened to some of my friends. You were always called up and asked if you knew what you had done and if you knew it was against the rules. Then they announced the punishment, how many blows and how much wall time. they never went over that. I tried not o break the rules and I wasn't punished very often really. After the caning when I was 14 I only got one more caning, when I was 17. I came home from the pictures at 12.10 AM and got 12 strokes on my bare bottom. Mostly I was spanked by mom. caning is a harder punishment than spanking but I found that it took longer with the oatmeal and bread soda afterwards. After a caning you could go straight to your room and lie face down on the bed and wait for the sting to go away. My parents did the best they could.
    Do you consider yourself an abused child?, or as you said it was pretty much the norm back then. I grew up in the 80's and 90's and I was physically punished, but look on it as my parents doing their job, was never smacked bare bottom, but I know some of my friends were, not really sure what the think of it, I usually got the open hand, wooden spoon, my Dad's belt or the sally rod, but in fairness I think some peoples criticism of your parents on here are appalling. Like you implied, it was the done thing, and many parents did like wise if not most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I couldnt drink milk when i was a youngun. Every time i swallowed it, i gagged or got sick. Of course my mother used to say "you're putting it on" and I used to have to sit at the dinner table for up to an hour trying to drink a glass of milk. Even to this day i cant drink plain milk without gagging or getting sick. Some people just cant digest normal milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

One time she was looking for a dvd and she decided that I had taken it so she asked me where it was and I said I hadn't seen it. She decided I was lying and kicked ten shades of sh!te out of me, had me down on the floor kicking me and then leant down and spat in my face. Over a fúcking dvd! My sister arrived home to me lying on the floor balling and it turned out she had taken it to watch the night before. Not only was it a ridiculous thing to get that crazy over but it wasn't even me. Never even got an apology. Beatings were regular enough but the spitting in my face and the irrationality of it all makes that one the worst.

Your Mother sounds like she has serious problems. She should have had her kids taken off her for that. Behaviour of an animal.

yeah nuns can be evil *****. Whatever about discpilining kids,it should always be in the best interest of the kids. nuns seemed to do it with a grudge, and with a sense of cruelty. My Sister went to a convent and the stories she told me were unbelievable, and it was only the late 90's. Not necessarily physical, but verbal was worse. Once the principal a nun, gave out to my Sister's friend, who happened to be in long term foster care, well the bitch of a nun used to berate her publically in front of her class mates for simply been in foster care. Even the teaching staff thought it was appaling, and one mimed the word bitch under her breat as the principal was walking out of the classroom after tearing in to the girl.

I remember my Grandmother telling me she suffered similiar kind of abuse from the nuns in her school. My Mother thinks it seriously affected her for the rest of her life.

I wouldn't mind but she was probably the gentilest person I knew. It makes me mad thinking back what these parasites got away with and for what? Because they worked for God? What a fu*kin joke our society was back then. Thankfully the churches power is waning every day.

Your sister got spanked at 17? Between that and your previous post you're either at it or had a seriously bad upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I'm curious.
    I don't agree with laying a hand on a child, ever.
    Many on here agree with a physical punishment for some things. So would you advocate serious beatings to criminals in prison? They're old enough to know and understand the consequences, should they get the shite beat out of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some f'ucking demonic kunts for parents out there... :mad:

Kneeler, thrashing your bare flesh and then putting soda or whatever sick sh1t on the wound to make it hurt more is not doing "the best they could".

Some people were kicked? Serious hatred from their parents - deserve a hiding themselves as all bullies do.

I'm curious.
    I don't agree with laying a hand on a child, ever.
    Many on here agree with a physical punishment for some things. So would you advocate serious beatings to criminals in prison? They're old enough to know and understand the consequences, should they get the shite beat out of them?

Serious criminals yeah, every day :mad:, rapist, murders drug dealers etc, and obviously not just a smack across the arse.

Serious criminals yeah, every day :mad:, rapist, murders drug dealers etc, and obviously not just a smack across the arse.

It's amazing how people will try to rationalise child abuse, especially when parents seem to devise almost sadistic methods of inflicting extra pain on their children.

I still maintain that using violence against children is at best lazy parenting.

It's amazing how people will try to rationalise child abuse, especially when parents seem to devise almost sadistic methods of inflicting extra pain on their children.

I still maintain that using violence against children is at best lazy parenting.
    My parents smacked me, they were not lazy at 'their best' in fact far from it, so who the **** do you think you are, claiming that they are. When I have kids, I will raise my them just as my mom and dad raised me, not how some clown who hasn't a clue what they are on about says. The problem with kids today is that they are too moddly coddled. and wrapped up in cotton wool, that they don't even know how to deal with been given out to. My friend is a teacher and , a parent approached her before class one day and ate her for giving out to her daughter, and it was just a minor telling off. The day i would go in to my childs school and do that. I know there are some terrible stories on this thread, but a smack does npt equate to child abuse. I will smack my kids when I have some when they deserve to get a smack, and I like my parents will not be a lazy parent. So channell your energy in to figuring out how cheeky litte ****s get away with terrorising communitys, and they not even out of national school. point our fingers and tell them not to do it again, do you think that will work?, or maybe give them a hug?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

My parents smacked me, they were not lazy at 'their best' in fact far from it, so who the **** do you think you are, claiming that they are. When I have kids, I will raise my them just as my mom and dad raised me, not how some clown who hasn't a clue what they are on about says. The problem with kids today is that they are too moddly coddled. and wrapped up in cotton wool, that they don't even know how to deal with been given out to. My friend is a teacher and , a parent approached her before class one day and ate her for giving out to her daughter, and it was just a minor telling off. The day i would go in to my childs school and do that. I know there are some terrible stories on this thread, but a smack does npt equate to child abuse. I will smack my kids when I have some when they deserve to get a smack, and I like my parents will not be a lazy parent. So channell your energy in to figuring out how cheeky litte ****s get away with terrorising communitys, and they not even out of national school. point our fingers and tell them not to do it again, do you think that will work?, or maybe give them a hug?.

What do you achieve by hitting a child? You're bringing them up with violence and sending the wrong message imo. I always get the impression that a parent who hits their child has lost patience, control and can't handle the situation. It smacks of frustration.

Think about it. If you're a supervisor in the workplace and an employee steps out of line. Do you hit them? No, you discipline them to try and make sure it never happens again. That's the approach I'd use, 100% up to you on how you raise your kids but don't expect everyone to pat you on the back for it. The funny thing is you'd probably report someone for hitting or kicking a dog.

The problem with kids today is that they are too moddly coddled. and wrapped up in cotton wool, that they don't even know how to deal with been given out to.

Ah, so there's a generic problem with "kids today" is there? I wasn't aware. Every generation seems to say this, as if they are totally unaware of social evolution and societal changes.

So channell your energy in to figuring out how cheeky litte ****s get away with terrorising communitys, and they not even out of national school. point our fingers and tell them not to do it again, do you think that will work?, or maybe give them a hug?.

I would imagine it has nothing to do with not being beaten by their parents. I would imagine the minority of young people you are referring to are quite simply the result of parents who pay them no attention, take no interest in their child's development and no investment into their upbringing.

Raising a child isn't about beating it so it follows rules. It's about instructing and teaching children how to make their own sensible decisions and learn self direction.

• Advertisement

ColeTrain wrote: »
    What do you achieve by hitting a child? You're bringing them up with violence and sending the wrong message imo. I always get the impression that a parent who hits their child has lost patience, control and can't handle the situation. It smacks of frustration.

Think about it. If you're a supervisor in the workplace and an employee steps out of line. Do you hit them? No, you discipline them to try and make sure it never happens again. That's the approach I'd use, 100% up to you on how you raise your kids but don't expect everyone to pat you on the back for it. The funny thing is you'd probably report someone for hitting or kicking a dog.

Well, if a person is working, it usually means that they already have been raised, so it's not up to the supervisor to give them a clatter, maybe fire them etc, that's what a parents job is, to prepare their kids for the world, through discipline and other ways. yes, it is up to me 100%, how I raise my kids, just like I can't smack another kid who is acting the bollix, even if what they have done is appalling. I'm not expecting a pat on the back, but I wont stand back and have my parents called lazy by people who don't agree with their methods. Of course there is a shift in attitudes of disciplince, between my parents and I. I will certainly use other methods with them, and if they don't work, then I will smack them. It was alot different for them back thenwhen I was been raised, grounding was something you'd see on the tv only, mostly home and away:D, and as kids there was nothing they could take away from us really, like we'd have toys at christmas and that but nothing like kids have today mobiles, laptops etc, so phyical discipline was the norm. But I still strongly feel that there is still room for smacking in Irish society.

Advertisement