Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champion Hurdle, 13-03-12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Zarkandar
    UrbanSea wrote: »
    Where did you see he dropped him 3 lbs? I struggle to believe that

I've never in my life seen a horse dropped 3lbs for winning the biggest handicap hurdle of the year on his first start for 10 months.

So ya, that's complete nonsense

Dropped 3lbs? What??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

kiers47 wrote: »
    *Fly!!!
    Sure.What price Hurricane run at his best.

Put his name into Attheraces site.It was a very competitive handicap yesterday[all bunched together in the handicap] yet he failed to stay close up for a long way but ran on.The question is can he fail to stay close and then quicken to beat seasoned championship horses which will be going a few strides quicker than yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Zarkandar
    Dropped 3lbs? What??

Someone above claimed Zarkandar was dropped 3lbs for winning on Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

He has won a grade 2 or better every season since arriving at Nicholls calling him a handicapper is bollocks. Im with Richie here. He is a very good yard stick.

It was one of the most brutal grade 2 races I have seen this season. Desert Cry and Marsh Warbler are both handicappers, it was a grade 2 in name only.

He is a good handicapper at this stage. Beating handicappers in graded events doesn't mean he is a grade horse.

He is a decent yardstick in the sense that if you don't beat him snugly with plenty to spare than you haven't a hope of even placing in the Champion Hurdle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Grandouet
    This is impossible. The handicap ratings were last updated on the 15th of February

Zarkandar probably ran to 154 - 158 the other day.

He certainly wasn't dropped 3 lbs which is just a ludicrous assumption.

To clear this up.I rang a friend and he told me that the horse was dropped from 154 to 151 for yesterdays race and was not updated but will get a hefty hike tomorrow maybe to 165/168.Sorry for any misinformation about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Zarkandar
    ste2010 wrote: »
    His price of 66-1 reflects that in antepost factoring in the fact e won't e going anyway.

So you Know for a fact he wont be going? Where do you get your info?

I should have probably removed the word "fact" but I think most people know what I'm talking about kiers. Even if he's there, he might as well not be..there's not a hope he could contest with hurricane fly "IMO". Don't get me wrong I was prob the loyalist follower of celestial halo. Backed him in every race starting with his first in chelt until his fall in aintree hurdle 2 years ago.
    He's a thing of the past for the champ hurdle and id be prepared to offer my liver to a yemenese liver dealer if he is in the top 3 at chelt.
    My main point anyway was ladbrokes going to 9/2 is an over reaction. It would be different of he bet rock on ruby or grandouet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Zarkandar
    Huntey wrote: »
    Zarkandar probably ran to 154 - 158 the other day.

He certainly wasn't dropped 3 lbs which is just a ludicrous assumption.

Agreed I think Zarkandar was around the 154 - 158 mark.

I think Binocular was around the same mark, maybe 160.

Hurricane Fly is in a different class........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Zarkandar
    It was one of the most brutal grade 2 races I have seen this season. Desert Cry and Marsh Warbler are both handicappers, it was a grade 2 in name only.

He is a good handicapper at this stage. Beating handicappers in graded events doesn't mean he is a grade horse.

He is a decent yardstick in the sense that if you don't beat him snugly with plenty to spare than you haven't a hope of even placing in the Champion Hurdle.

It was a bad grade 2 ill give you that but if i were the owner i would be happy to let him take his chance in the champion hurdle. He is a good yardstick in the same way that thousand stars is a good yard stick at mullins's not a grade1 horse but capable of putting in decent performances in good races when the conditions drop right, also he never stops trying. We can agree to disagree if you want but that is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Zarkandar
    It was a bad grade 2 ill give you that but if i were the owner i would be happy to let him take his chance in the champion hurdle. He is a good yardstick in the same way that thousand stars is a good yard stick at mullins's not a grade1 horse but capable of putting in decent performances in good races when the conditions drop right, also he never stops trying. We can agree to disagree if you want but that is my opinion.

Celestial halo is nowhere near the class of Thousand Stars, having said that I think what was impressive about Binocular yesterday was he's jumping which looked back to its very best, but the reality is what it highlighted to me is how far ahead of the rest Hurricane Fly really is, basically he's 3 main rivals are a horse who is past hes best and two horses who are only out of juvenile company.

sting60 wrote: »
    To clear this up.I rang a friend and he told me that the horse was dropped from 154 to 151 for yesterdays race and was not updated but will get a hefty hike tomorrow maybe to 165/168.Sorry for any misinformation about this.

He won't be getting anywhere near a mark of 165/16 for that performance. Thankfully your friend isn't a handicapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Zarkandar
    He won't be getting anywhere near a mark of 165/16 for that performance. Thankfully your friend isn't a handicapper.

About 157/158 I would have thought, definitely nowhere near mid 160's

Totally agree it looks too much but he knows his stuff as he buys and sells horses.Tomorrow will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Zarkandar
    Celestial halo is nowhere near the class of Thousand Stars.

IMO they are somewhere around the same level. The ratings suggest the same.

Zarkandar
    Celestial halo is nowhere near the class of Thousand Stars.

IMO they are somewhere around the same level. The ratings suggest the same.

Thousand stars won the French champion hurdle last year...although its a different distance surely this ends this comparison. TS has also had te life run out of him up until his last race. He has a nice break now and I'd expect him to perform better than his last 2. My hope with him is he runs in the world hurdle, but I'd he ran in the champion I would easily consider a w/o hurricane fly bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

Other (please specify)
    I backed binocular the other day as I don't rate celestial halo
    Didn't rate binocular until after the race it was a great performance.
    So I'm thinking now that binoculars last race is better than it visually looked
    That overturn ran to form and the other too were much better.
    Rock on ruby would be the e/w bet now I think as he should of won .
    Stiff track like Cheltenham plays to his strengths,Nichols dark horse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Zarkander will go up about 6lbs I would imagine.

It was a very nice run from Binocular and if anything happens to HF before or during the Champion Hurdle he will take some stopping. Whether he can beat HF is doubtful but who knows.

Id fancy Binocular to beat Peddlers Cross in a CH by at least the same distance HF did.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Zarkandar
    Paul Nicholls
    Zarkandar came back on Fri with a dirty nose & cough. Which probably means he should have won by further!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Binocular
    You are about right Premier, even if you go back to Sailors Warn I can't see Zarkandar being over 156/7.

Binocular
    Johner wrote: »
    Paul Nicholls
    Zarkandar came back on Fri with a dirty nose & cough. Which probably means he should have won by further!

Where did you hear that Johner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

Overturn to run them into the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Zarkandar
    hucklebuck wrote: »

Would you like to phone a friend?

http://www.sportpost.com/horse-racing?after_post=40819

Zarkandar
    Rastapitts wrote: »

I don't think Overturn will be in front 3

Zarkandar
    Johner wrote: »
    Paul Nicholls

RAcing post HB

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Zarkandar

It was on the Paul Nicholls twitter account and his facebook.

Zarkandar
    ft9 wrote: »
    Rastapitts wrote: »

I don't think Overturn will be in front 3

I was looking at this a moment ago I think thousand stars is a good value bet to place.
    Also with regards to zarkandar coughing situation anyone think this puts him better for his perf last friday or worse for his illness before the festival?

Zarkandar
    ste2010 wrote: »
    I was looking at this a moment ago I think thousand stars is a good value bet to place.
    Also with regards to zarkandar coughing situation anyone think this puts him better for his perf last friday or worse for his illness before the festival?

That's a good question. If a horse is sick and can go win a race you wonder what he's capable of. I doubt he was sick going into it the more I think about it.

• Advertisement

Binocular
    ft9 wrote: »

Thanks.

It's not the same as simple division though. I read on ATR and RTE earlier that he had some horses coughing but did not name any.

Advertisement