Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra services for Nenagh branch!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ideal would be to hand operation over to the likes of Chiltern Railways, but would they be interested I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I was thinking way outside the box on this one e.g. a new company (with subsidy) operated out of Limerick running services on the branch, with IE charged only with track and stock maintenance. A tight ship with no waste, sweating the assets - in the style of the old SL&NCR or County Donegal Rlys. Will never happen of course but if there was any leadership in this country it could be done. Could it be any worse than the present situation where CIE are allowed to rack-up huge losses on the railways while running them into the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

foggy - we have been hearing the same old mantra for decades 'close down a few more lines' and the rest will survive'. The lifting train will coming through Islandbridge Junction and you, your fellow travellers in the IRRS and other anti-railway charlatans will still be trotting out the same old claptrap. If CIE/IE can't operate what's left of the railways they should be taken out of the equation.

There is a reasonable level of track mileage left, the most pressing rail preservation project is the retention of same. It's a pity we don't have objective publications like 'Rail' (UK) magazine here, or dedicated and informed journalists who could keep tabs on events and inform the public. All the more reason now as other EU countries are rising to the challenge of 21st century rail. I'll quote Portugal again with it's Intercity Alfa Pendular tilting 230 kph trains. A really great achievement for a country with economic problems, like us. All we have here 'treading the boards' is a crowd of cheer leaders for buses. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How do you propose they get people who don't want to use a slow train to use the train?
    hike up road tax so much with exemptions for trucks and emergency vehicles?
    no matter what speed the train achieves people will still not use it because railways are just not flexible enough and don't go where the people want to go!
    you think people would sit on a bus traveling at 80 mph if they could get a train that travels at 100 to 125 mph?
    if we have money again we just build them to where people want to go.
    close this and a few other lines and Irish Rail might be saved!

thats what they said in the 60s. todd andrews's war against the railways was for nothing and he failed because their still here just about surviving dispite IE'S mission to drive away their customers. CIE/IE are still a shambles and a waste of space who haven't a clue how to run a railway and who treat their customers and staff like their a problem that they have to put up with. nothing can save irish rail. no way would i travel on a horid bus when i can get a comfortable train and if the line i use should ever close i'l move to where their is one and if the whole lot closes i'l emmigrate.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hike up road tax so much with exemptions for trucks and emergency vehicles?
    Unbelievable but this is the attitude which will end the railways in Ireland, just force people to pay through the nose for an overpriced service which represents NO value for money by hiking up road tax even though the very same people are already subsidising the railways they don't use!
    you think people would sit on a bus traveling at 80 mph if they could get a train that travels at 100 to 125 mph?
    if we have money again we just build them to where people want to go.
    anyone going from Carlow to Dublin City Centre who does not want the hassle of getting to the station in Carlow and them be left 2KM from Dublin will gladly travel at 100kph instead of a noisy overcrowded train travelling at about the same speed which has to wait for 10 minutes at each stop for the oncoming train to clear the track.
    thats what they said in the 60s. todd andrews's war against the railways was for nothing and he failed because their still here just about surviving dispite IE'S mission to drive away their customers. CIE/IE are still a shambles and a waste of space who haven't a clue how to run a railway and who treat their customers and staff like their a problem that they have to put up with. nothing can save irish rail. no way would i travel on a horid bus when i can get a comfortable train and if the line i use should ever close i'l move to where their is one and if the whole lot closes i'l emmigrate.
    The railways in Ireland died about 80years ago but still havn't been buried!

• Advertisement

The railways in Ireland died about 80years ago but still havn't been buried!

no they didn't and thats the end of it. their still alive and will live on and you will just have to put up with it. railways and trains galore forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

im quite happy to have railways and trains galore forever provided they are there to perform a useful and economic purpose rather than to satify the trainspotter mentality or the "fair dos for the Wesht" brigade.

If hardly anyone is using a service or a service has to be heavily subsiidised then it should be replaced by a cheaper alternative if that is more viable and the assets used to improve the better lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I was thinking way outside the box on this one e.g. a new company (with subsidy) operated out of Limerick running services on the branch, with IE charged only with track and stock maintenance. A tight ship with no waste, sweating the assets - in the style of the old SL&NCR or County Donegal Rlys. Will never happen of course but if there was any leadership in this country it could be done. Could it be any worse than the present situation where CIE are allowed to rack-up huge losses on the railways while running them into the ground?

Not just the branch but a regional rail company based in Limerick, running Lk - Waterford, Galway, Ballybrophy etc. and also allowed run freight so you could see a private operator back doing containers in Limerick, Mallow, Ennis (if they ever had containers) Galway etc.

Shannon Airport has been set free from the DAA, it could be merged into the same group.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not just the branch but a regional rail company based in Limerick, running Lk - Waterford, Galway, Ballybrophy etc. and also allowed run freight so you could see a private operator back doing containers in Limerick, Mallow, Ennis (if they ever had containers) Galway etc.

Shannon Airport has been set free from the DAA, it could be merged into the same group.

Why, if it has just been set free (it hasn't yet), would you encumber it with some failing railway lines, especially seeing as it isn't connected to the railway and such a connection isn't justified?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can we stick to Nanagh rail in this thread? Everything else moved here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056677500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I was thinking way outside the box on this one e.g. a new company (with subsidy) operated out of Limerick running services on the branch, with IE charged only with track and stock maintenance. A tight ship with no waste, sweating the assets - in the style of the old SL&NCR or County Donegal Rlys.
    The SL&NCR didn't have Safety Cases and the RSC to contend with. The overhead in setting up a modern railway before you hired your first driver must be daunting.

apparently the afternoon direct limerick dublin train will be diverted via the nenagh branch for july and august.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Victor wrote: »
    Why, if it has just been set free (it hasn't yet), would you encumber it with some failing railway lines, especially seeing as it isn't connected to the railway and such a connection isn't justified?

I never mentioned connecting it to a railway line.

Having a regional transport company with some level of joined up thinking could not be worse than whats there at the moment.

Whats needed for Irish rail in the midwest, and Shannon airport, is an Are Lingus style greenfield approach where all the layers of staff, along with historic work practices, high wages and golden pensions are stripped away to provide dynamic services at more realistic prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

apparently the afternoon direct limerick dublin train will be diverted via the nenagh branch for july and august.

There is no afternoon Limk-Dublin direct- the last one is at 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

He/she means the 1340 Heuston/Limerick on Tuesdays to Thursdays.

Advertisement