Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff split from the Extra Nenagh Trains thread

Options
  • 19-06-2012 9:36am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hike up road tax so much with exemptions for trucks and emergency vehicles?

This has to be one of the most outrageous things I've ever heard.

Why? What economic or social benefit would we gain from this?

What do the vast majority of people who live nowhere near a train line do?

Madness, how can any person justify this? Why? Just why would you do this?
    you think people would sit on a bus traveling at 80 mph if they could get a train that travels at 100 to 125 mph?

Well many would, if the price of the ticket was a lot less. In the past many choose the bus to Cork which took 4 hours 30 mins over a 3 hour train ride as it was a quarter of the price.

But the thing is there are no trains in Ireland going 100 to 125mph. And it would cost a billion to get them up to this speed. What is the economic or social justification for spending what little money we have on rail in this way?

Would it not benefit us more to use the same money to run a fibre optic cable to every home in Ireland (1 billion would get you to 80% of homes, the rest could be covered by LTE) or building more schools/hospitals or building DART underground or Metro North.

I'm not anti rail, I think rail makes lots of sense in certain places, like mass transit around large cities (DART, LUAS, etc.), but we have to be realistic about it. Rail is a very expensive and inflexible system. It only makes sense in certain narrow scenarios, we have to be very careful when and how to deploy rail. We don't want anymore white elephants like the WRC. What a total waste.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

bk wrote: »
    Would it not benefit us more to use the same money to run a fibre optic cable to every home in Ireland
    No, as most of it would be spent on getting fibre to rural one-offs
    or building more schools/hospitals
    We need less of both but to a higher standard.
    or building DART underground or Metro North.
    Now you're talking!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

n97 mini wrote: »
    No, as most of it would be spent on getting fibre to rural one-offs

That is why I said:
    1 billion would get you to 80% of homes, the rest could be covered by LTE

1 billion would get you to 80% of homes, which would be all cities, towns and villages, excluding rural one-offs.

You would need about 1.6 to 2 billion to get 100% of homes. But that would be unnecessary IMO. Instead you just have the fibre running along the main roads (already paid for by the first 80%) and run LTE (wireless 4G technology) or fixed wireless to cover the last mile in rural areas.

The rural one off's wouldn't get quite fibre speeds, but they would still get excellent, 50mb/s + speeds.

The first billion will have to be done anyway. We just can't leave Ireland to continue slide further and further behind this most vital industry. The majority of jobs remaining and being created in Ireland are in IT.

This is far, FAR more important then knocking 30 minutes off the train to Cork.

Fibre is to the 21st century what rail was to the 19th century.

Rail has it's part to play (i.e. mass transit) but it's glory days have been and gone. It is no longer a national, economic and social priority.

This is far, FAR more important then knocking 30 minutes off the train to Cork.
    I do agree, but I think the state has no role in paying towards the costs of providing internet access to private houses, whereas it does have a role in providing public transport infrastructural, i.e. rail.

TBH I don't see a rosy future for rail in Ireland outside of urban commuter lines where the population densities clearly exist.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I do agree, but I think the state has no role in paying towards the costs of providing internet access to private houses, whereas it does have a role in providing public transport infrastructural, i.e. rail.

I would disagree with that. Unfortunately private companies simply aren't going to make such a massive investment.

UPC have done a good job and invested lots in deploying fibre to the most valuable urban areas, but they won't expand outside that. Eircom are literally bankrupt, so don't expect anything from them.

Laying fibre to every home does actually have a good return on investment and will not only pay for itself over time but would actually make money. The problem is it takes 30 years to do so and private companies aren't geared to do that sort of investment. They are all geared towards the next financial quarter and year.

Such long term infrastructural investments is where governments do a good job.

The idea would be for the government to create a company that would own all the fiber in Ireland. Government owned fibre would be transferred into it. UPC, Eircom, Vodafone, BT, etc. would also transfer their fibre into it and get a percentage ownership of the company based on how much fibre they enter. The government would always control 51% of the company.

This company would then manage all the fibre and all the companies could share and use each others fibre. This company could then also look for loans (from the government directly, or outside market) to build out the FTTH network.

This is the only practical way I see us getting FTTH in any sort of reasonable time frame. If we leave it to bankrupt Eircom, it will take another 20 years before they even start thinking about FTTH.
    TBH I don't see a rosy future for rail in Ireland outside of urban commuter lines where the population densities clearly exist.

I agree.

Such long term infrastructural investments is where governments do a good job.
    Maybe if it was the Korean Govt, but not our's. We'd have another quango full of unionised low achievers run by layers of talentless management on huge salaries contracting out the bulk of the work to contractors who price fix in carparks, and the company belonging to the brother of a Kerry TD would end up getting all the work anyway. The company would end up getting sold off because it's inefficient and unmanageable and would end up getting hammered by the competition using an alternate technology that's not yet widely available that no-one noticed at the time as they relied on wikipedia for all their official information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if the government were to invest in fiberoctic broadband it should be to everyone, the people in rural one off housing do pay tax to believe it or not. could understand the privates not doing such a thing but theirs no excuse for government not to. we should have invested in rail during the good times and brought it up to a speed faster then the bus or car could ever do. the only reason why rail mightn't have a future is because IE haven't a clue and drive away their customers because of stupid ryanair style charges and high prices for a bad service, their not and will never be ryanair. as far as i'm concerned rail is a vital alternative to car and bus and should be kept and invested in, nothing and nobody will change my mind on that. even if we did close down the railways outside the main commuter areas the schools and hospitals won't be built and fiberoctic broadband won't happen, most lightly the money will end up bailing out the banks.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

if the government were to invest in fiberoctic broadband it should be to everyone, the people in rural one off housing do pay tax to believe it or not.

Sure in an ideal world. In the real world where do you get the money to do everyone?

Getting fibre deep in Ireland and covering the last mile with LTE or VDSL2+ is a very reasonable compromise for rural houses. It would still give them BB around 50mb/s, which would realistically be about 50 times what they currently receive.

Yes they pay taxes too, but not enough to cover the higher costs of delivering services to them. Perhaps if they were willing to pay line rental at a price double of urban areas, then it might be feasible.

It is ironic, but it is all these one off rural houses and low population density and exactly this sort of attitude, that makes rail such a bad proposition in Ireland.

If we had less people living in one off houses in rural areas and more living in towns and villages like in continental Europe (90% live in urban, towns and villages in France versus just 60%in Ireland), then it would be a lot easier and more feasible to deliver both fibre broadband and trains to these people.

Sure in an ideal world. In the real world where do you get the money to do everyone?
    where do we get the money to bail out banks? where do we get the money for anything?
    Getting fibre deep in Ireland and covering the last mile with LTE or VDSL2+ is a very reasonable compromise for rural houses. It would still give them BB around 50mb/s, which would realistically be about 50 times what they currently receive.
    no it isn't a reasonable compromise, their should be no compromise at all. if the government is going to spend money on something like this it should be for everybody or nobody. the government and the planners allowed these one off houses to be built and now they have to put up with it shut up and pay for it.
    Yes they pay taxes too, but not enough to cover the higher costs of delivering services to them. Perhaps if they were willing to pay line rental at a price double of urban areas, then it might be feasible.
    are you having a laugh? pay double what someone in an urban area pays for services? why if i lived in a one off house should i pay double for a service because of where i live when the council could have said no to my one off house in the first place. really? you know how much tax these people pay? thought not.
    It is ironic, but it is all these one off rural houses and low population density and exactly this sort of attitude, that makes rail such a bad proposition in Ireland.
    and who allowed it to happen? you? me? didn't think so.
    If we had less people living in one off houses in rural areas and more living in towns and villages like in continental Europe (90% live in urban, towns and villages in France versus just 60%in Ireland), then it would be a lot easier and more feasible to deliver both fibre broadband and trains to these people.

well we don't so deal with it. the government, the councils and the planners allowed this situation to happen so now they have to just put up shut up deal with and pay for it. again the people in rural areas pay tax so should not have to pay any extra for government services as it was the government, planners and councils who allowed one off housing to happen in the first place and of course the councils could have said no but they didn't.

the government and the planners allowed these one off houses to be built
    And they shouldn't have, but the last time they tried put the brakes on one-offs there was huge political back lash from the rural lobby. Some ministers, notably Eamonn O Cuiv used it to score points.
    and now they have to put up with it shut up and pay for it.
    That's the problem. They don't pay for anything, the tax payer does.

That's the problem. They don't pay for anything, the tax payer does.
    but the government decides who and where the money goes to, and technically they pay tax as well (yes i know some have been caught for non payment but anyway) . the tax payer has no say in who or where their tax goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I thought we had all learned from the failure to burn the bondholders that being beholden to past stupid decisions of others was a recipe for disaster?

One off houses can have water and power. Everything else - pay up. There is no human right to broadband.

dowlingm wrote: »
    One off houses can have water and power. Everything else - pay up. There is no human right to broadband.
    why should they? someone in a rural area should not be expected to pay more for their service then someone in an urban area who pays the same tax as the person in a rural area. end of. the council could have said no to the one off house, the government could have legislated to stop it and they didn't and thats the end of it. time to face up to the fact ireland screwed up and voting in every treaty to bring us closer to being the united states of europe won't save us either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Everybody in a rural area already pays extra for electricity -FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

dowlingm wrote: »
    One off houses can have water

Very good of you

Many of them have been paying for water already through group schemes or their own well
    Listening to the townies whining about water charges

And paying taxes for the sewage systems in towns
    These don't exist in one off houses, you pay for it yourself

As for power, you pay a connection fee to ESB Networks. 2,000 euro to go about 50 metres in my case. There was a line on the main road already, nothing had to be built, all they did was bring it in
    If they need to go across fields they'll charge you even more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Very good of you

Many of them have been paying for water already through group schemes or their own well
    Listening to the townies whining about water chargers

And paying taxes for the sewage systems in towns
    These don't exist in off houses, you pay for it yourself

As for power, you pay a connection fee to ESB Networks. 2,000 euro to go about 50 metres in my case. There was a line on the main road already, nothing had to be built, all they did was bring it in
    If they need to go across fields they'll charge you even more

You also pay around €10-11 per month of an extra standing charge, thats about €130 extra every year forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It costs a lot more per property to provide all the services to one-off/out of the way/up the mountains houses, people who built/bought these houses are aware of this and accept it or have not done their homework and should move back into the town!

so just like people must pay more for gas, esb, phone, broadband etc they should also pay more for school buses, trains and other services which would be cheaper to provide in a built up area.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    so just like people must pay more for gas, esb, phone, broadband etc they should also pay more for school buses, trains and other services which would be cheaper to provide in a built up area.

no they shouldn't, they pay enough all ready and are being screwed. and apparently the afternoon limerick dublin train will be diverted via nenagh for july and august.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Without wanting to add to the dragging off topic, it would be wonderful if the cost of one off housing could be rationalised down to water, power and sewage, an argument that could then be dismissed based upon the house owners paying for much of those things themselves. But it can't be rationalised down to just that.

What about the costs associated with provision of other services? The rural road network? Two-room schoolhouses (and the subsidy associated with rural school bus transport)? Ultra-local clinical/health/social care services? Job dispersion?

Rural living would be a lot more sustainable if people had to at least build near an existing nucleated settlement like in Britain, there's SFA reason why houses should be allowed to be built as far away from everyone and everything else possible, and no Dick Roche's favourite historical population dispersal argument doesn't really cut mustard either.

As for power, you pay a connection fee to ESB Networks. 2,000 euro to go about 50 metres in my case.

Exactly and a similar scheme could be put in place for people in rural areas who wanted a fibre line.

Or free if they are willing to go with LTE, fixed wireless or VDSL2+.

no they shouldn't, they pay enough all ready and are being screwed. and apparently the afternoon limerick dublin train will be diverted via nenagh for july and august.
    There is nothing stopping them sinking a well for water and buying a generator for power if they want to live out in the wilds! Nobody forced them to live out in the sticks it ws their choice and extra costs come with that choice!

• Advertisement

There is nothing stopping them sinking a well for water and buying a generator for power if they want to live out in the wilds!
    its not the wilds and thats the end of it. most people sink a well anyway, wouldn't drink water from the mains god knows whats in it.
    extra costs come with that choice!
    to be connected to vital services maybe but not after that. you pay the same as everyone else once connected, thats how it should be, otherwise its screwing people on the basis of where they live. of course the government could have stoped all these one off houses but they didn't so we'l all have to put up with it.

its not the wilds and thats the end of it. most people sink a well anyway, wouldn't drink water from the mains god knows whats in it.

to be connected to vital services maybe but not after that. you pay the same as everyone else once connected, thats how it should be, otherwise its screwing people on the basis of where they live. of course the government could have stoped all these one off houses but they didn't so we'l all have to put up with it.
    it costs a lot more to maintain miles and miles of phone line or esb cables or water/sewage pipes as well as costing a lot more to find any faults as miles and miles of line have to be checked.

If people want to live out in the sticks they should be prepared to "go it alone" as far as services go! next they will be looking for a hospital with 10 bay accident and emergency unit in Ballygetuptheyard With it's own air ambulance, all paid for by everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

hike up road tax so much with exemptions for trucks and emergency vehicles?
    This has to be one of the most outrageous things I've ever heard.

It's a great idea. let's see, how about a 1,000,000 times increase?

0 x 1,000,000= 0

Solves all our problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

I've never been to Carlow but google tells me ye have three hospitals
    Sacred Heart, Carlow District and St Dympas
    Why does a town that size have three hospitals? ;)

And Carlow IT, tens of millions invested in that for a small town
    Your neighbors in the marble city have no IT
    I thought you wanted the urban areas to get the resources?

Ennis is a bigger town then Carlow, lost emergency services to Limerick Regional, it's over 100km from West Clare to Limerick and you laugh and call that area the sticks while you have three hospitals

Yeah Carlow has 3

http://findaddress.citizensinformation.ie/service_finder/query.py?category=Hospitals&county=Carlow

(the other one is a type of nursing home)

But Clare has 4

http://findaddress.citizensinformation.ie/service_finder/query.py?category=Hospitals&county=Clare

Sorry but I couldn't let that go.

This site might be interesting to some it shows population on a map and population in towns:

http://www.populationlabs.com/Ireland_Population.asp[url][/url]

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Folk living somewhat off the beaten track are often unable to avail of services available to others.

For example being in an area devoid of public transport the parents of a child who needs regular visits to hospital will have to fork out the costs themselves . It must be galling for them to see other less deserving cases in the cities and small towns getting and abusing golden tickets allowing then to swan around the country whilst they scrimp to pay for petrol.

These folks don't even have the luxury of saying " I don't want to travel on a private bus".

parsi wrote: »
    Folk living somewhat off the beaten track are often unable to avail of services available to others.

For example being in an area devoid of public transport the parents of a child who needs regular visits to hospital will have to fork out the costs themselves . It must be galling for them to see other less deserving cases in the cities and small towns getting and abusing golden tickets allowing then to swan around the country whilst they scrimp to pay for petrol.

These folks don't even have the luxury of saying " I don't want to travel on a private bus".
    Go tell your local elected representative about it! Or get one for yourself in your local pub if your feeling left out, if people are entitled to free travel they can use it as much as they want and often it can be used on private buses like jj kavanaghs in Waterford, Mathews, many of the air oach services etc. also parents of a sick child who requires regular hospital visits will often be entitled to free travel or at least one of them will if the child is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Very little extra.

MYOB wrote: »
    Very little extra.

Yes, just to point out people in urban areas actually subsidise people in rural areas.

For instance a significant proportion of tax money raised in Dublin flows to rural areas in Ireland. While all tax money raised in rural areas stays there, plus they get tax money raised in Dublin.

So people living in rural areas already get far more then their fair share of the tax money.

If 100% of tax money raised in Dublin, stayed in Dublin, we would probably have Metro North and Dart Underground being built now.

Unfortunately many of Irelands infrastructural issues stem from the large percentage of one off rural living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Cool new thread title :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

So people living in rural areas already get far more then their fair share of the tax money.

If 100% of tax money raised in Dublin, stayed in Dublin, we would probably have Metro North and Dart Underground being built now.

If Wicklow kept 100% of its resovoir water then Dublin would be in serious trouble ;)

Advertisement