Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Forgot to mention something funny that happened. I'm writing a script with this character in it who's a pirate radio dj. I only know of one pirate station in Galway and wanted to listen to a few more to get a feel for it. Texted one of my friends who is pretty into music to ask her if she knew of any more. Her reply?
    "I just know that one. I do work with the guy you mentioned though (the dj), I can ask him any questions you have".

Me: Well, that was easy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    No sleep for me tonight I think. This sucks. I hate feeling this upset.
    feeling a bit miserable myself, don't know why I should be happy. Thinking of going to the beach tomorrow if the weather is good, might help get rid of the residual feelings that have accumulate over the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Babybuff wrote: »
    No sleep for me tonight I think. This sucks. I hate feeling this upset.
    feeling a bit miserable myself, don't know why I should be happy. Thinking of going to the beach tomorrow if the weather is good, might help get rid of the residual feelings that have accumulate over the last few days.

Another insomniac here! I've gotten no sleep at all yet tonight, nervous about a doctors appt in the morning. :/ Doesn't help that I slept a lot during the day ... It's my own fault really! :o

Hope you two feel better soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Feeling a good bit better now about things! I was having some kind of life crisis earlier on :o I've had a chat with my best friend and he's made me feel tons better and keeps highlighting the fact that I'm only 20 so my life isn't already over :o I love him he's great at the wake up calls :D

Still can't sleep though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Mad craving for an omellete last night but when I cracked open the first egg it was rotten. Oh, the smell! Next two were exactly the same so the whole lot got fired into the bin. Dinner was a mushroom omellete minus the eggs - yep, a big ol' pile of mushrooms. Ha, disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Essay due tomorrow morning. 987 words done of 3000. FML.

And bibliography done, took me bloody ages. Hate referencing :mad:

I want to go to sleep :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hope all the insomniacs of last night are feeling better (and not too tired!) today. :)

Good luck with the doctor, Chatterpillar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I'm going slightly hallucinogenic from the lack of sleep. Got a couple of hours in last night but woke up in the middle of the night. I'm just wired atm with work and I still have a big stye on my eye, which is slowly turning into a cyst. I'm off til Friday though so not too bothered. Hopefully a nice few restful day's ahead of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I was awake at 5 last night. Must be something in the air that nobody could sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My boyfriend was told yesterday that he and the others that work with him will most likely be let go in the next few weeks :( I don't know how we're going to cope. We pay too much rent to qualify for and benefits to help with it so we might have to move, problem is that any of the places I can find that come within the price limit are all way out in the country and we have no transport of our own. Hoping we might be able to negotiate with the landlord to get him to drop our rent, but chances of him dropping it by more than €50 a week are slim :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Hope ye are feeling a bit better Jane and Babybuff. When I'm feeling crappy and sad, I tell myself "this time will pass" again and again, and it sometimes helps.

It's mad, it's been so long that something good has happened to me, I'm having a really hard time believing it's not gonna be taken away. After being offered the job last week, I spent yesterday mad anxious because I hadn't heard back from the recruitment agent about my contract, etc. Kept thinking, "wait and see, they'll have changed their mind". But no, in the evening it was emailed to me :) so I have this lovely sunny week off before my new start. It's still really hard to believe it's actually happening, that it won't fall apart like everything used to when I was self employed!

Must remember to breathe. It's a good habit.

Lola92 wrote: »
    My boyfriend was told yesterday that he and the others that work with him will most likely be let go in the next few weeks :( I don't know how we're going to cope. We pay too much rent to qualify for and benefits to help with it so we might have to move, problem is that any of the places I can find that come within the price limit are all way out in the country and we have no transport of our own. Hoping we might be able to negotiate with the landlord to get him to drop our rent, but chances of him dropping it by more than €50 a week are slim :(

Sorry to hear that Lola :( is there an option for house-sharing? That way you might be able to stay near transport, or even where you live currently, and be eligible for some benefits? I know it's not ideal, but it might be short lived?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Eviledna wrote: »
    It's mad, it's been so long that something good has happened to me, I'm having a really hard time believing it's not gonna be taken away. After being offered the job last week, I spent yesterday mad anxious because I hadn't heard back from the recruitment agent about my contract, etc. Kept thinking, "wait and see, they'll have changed their mind". But no, in the evening it was emailed to me :) so I have this lovely sunny week off before my new start. It's still really hard to believe it's actually happening, that it won't fall apart like everything used to when I was self employed!

Must remember to breathe. It's a good habit.

Perfect week to have off. Enjoy the sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Has anyone here ever ordered contact lenses from specsavers online??? I did about 3 weeks ago and still no sign of them, and their customer services are brutal :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Have you looked at the Austin Friar hotel? It's on Austin Friar st which is fairly central.

There's the Annbrook hotel too, but that's quite expensive. There's also the Newbury hotel at the Green Bridge, which is about a 10-15min walk into the centre of town.
    I'd planned to get a bus/train on the day but they're at very awkward times.. I'm Googling at the moment but thanks so much for the reply Muffin. :) x

Austin Friar is showing €49 for a single room on the 18th May at booking.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Eviledna wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Lola :( is there an option for house-sharing? That way you might be able to stay near transport, or even where you live currently, and be eligible for some benefits? I know it's not ideal, but it might be short lived?

Thanks Eviledna, congrats on your new job by the way, great news! :)

Unfortunately house sharing is not an option, we have a todder and my OH has kids from a previous relationship that stay over at the weekends. We are only in a 2 bed apartment as it is so not like we are in some big luxury pad! The rent limit for our area is €540 a month for a couple with one child. Is it just me or does that seem ridiculously low? We are currently paying near to 800 pm for our place!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hey all. Hope you're all doing okay today. Thanks so much to whoever replied to me last night when I was feeling low. I'm feeling a little better now. Little bit worried about an issue (posted in Women's Health Issues thread if you think you can help). I might be going to see my bf on Thursday even though he only went home yesterday so I'm hoping that can cheer me up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Hey all. Hope you're all doing okay today. Thanks so much to whoever replied to me last night when I was feeling low. I'm feeling a little better now. Little bit worried about an issue (posted in Women's Health Issues thread if you think you can help). I might be going to see my bf on Thursday even though he only went home yesterday so I'm hoping that can cheer me up a bit.

Hope you're ok Jane, and hopefully you'll get to see the BF on Thursday :)

Oh and you should definitely send off the application for college, the whole money issue & college is tough, but if you really want it, then you'll be able to make it work!

@Lola, It is ridiculously low, almost unattainable for most people tbh. I guess that's by design. :rolleyes:

If I were you I'd make an appointment to see your community welfare officer right away, in advance of your partner finishing up. I have found them much more compassionate than the usual sw offices and may be able to give you some advice on leverage for negotiations with your landlord. Many landlords won't want to loose good tenants, and will drop rent into the boundaries. Don't loose hope, there are many in your situation and there are contingencies out there to be explored.

Also, for your oh, I'd say to get into a good recruitment agency ASAP, don't wait for the finishing date if possible, be positive and revisit the CV and see how it can be improved upon. It's a good time of year to be job seeking and the in-between time might be shorter than you expect - it sure was for me!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Omg. Just when I was looking forward to my daughter staying this one night, she just sends me a text saying shes coming over for a couple of hours and is not staying. I feel like although I am grateful for the couple of hours I just miss her a hell of a lot.

This is so tough trying to get used to this, as she is my only one. Since she is staying with her new boyfriend a lot at his family home, I feel like I have lost her in a way. The house is so quiet and lifeless without her. She is such a great young woman and I really admire her for the person she is. I just wish that she would talk with me more and even stay over one night every now and then. But this has not transpired.

She comes over, collects some clothes or her college books and goes. We don't have conversations the way we used too. I am missing out on what is happening in her daily life, but she knows I will always be here for her, no matter what.

I just get upset about this and we used to be so close, go places, have fun, laughs and such. Now we don't anymore and I hardly see her except those moments when she comes down, when she needs something.

Had a cry again this morning after reading her text. I love her a lot and want her to be happy and am glad she is happy but at the same time, I feel like I am in limbo never knowing when or if she will turn up or text me. I just worry about her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

She's growing up, Merlie. You just have to get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just finshed my 10 k walk, need food and a shower....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Stressed and feel like crying!!!

House hunting to move to Limerick next month, & even though I've been looking at houses since January I've only found 2 that suited (needs to be less than 700 a month, and needs a garden for the doggies). Rang about them today and they are both gone. Was on Daft, found a perfect house the was only put on the website 2 hours ago, rang and it was gone :/ Really getting frustrated now!!! And doesn't help that I got my mothers tendency to stress out way too easily!!! Feels like even though I've been looking for houses for months, and only found 2, how the hell will I find one in the next 5 weeks?!!!

ugh :(

Lola92 wrote: »

Oh no.

Hope things work out,,,

Hugs

It's tough at that age merlie, but you aren't loosing her, she'll come back when college life calms down or is over. I know I went through the same with my mam when I was in college, but now I'm in my late 20's were back thick as thieves like before. You have a good relationship with her which is the foundation, and part of your gift to her is giving her the freedom to explore her new independence, to grow away so she can choose to come back in a new mature way.

In the meantime try to put new things in your life to fill the gap a little, to distract from the very normal feelings you are having. Take up a book group or a new class, set about making new friends, maybe other mums like yourself who can relate. I know my mam felt it hard when I moved out, she went back to education too, and we could relate to each other through study too.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Kiera wrote: »
    She's growing up, Merlie. You just have to get on with it.

Yes I know, but all I just want is her and me to have some quality time together

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Merlie, try and have a chat to her again about it. Tell her exactly how you're feeling and what you would like to happen in the future. I'm sure she doesn't realise how you feel because she's so busy with college and whatnot.

merlie wrote: »
    Yes I know, but all I just want is her and me to have some quality time together

If that was me i would ask her to join me for a coffee in the local cafe.

You should tell her how you feel.

I left home at 16 (back before mobile phones) and i would visit my parents at weekends sometimes it would be 2 weeks -3 weeks before they saw me. Im now 31 and my mother lives in the uk, i skype her nearly every day and we chat for over an hour. We talk more now than what we did when i was younger. When she visits or i visit her she crys everytime we have to say goodbye, its normal :).

* That said im seeing her in 6 weeks, taking her to Italy (venice) for 5 days, its where her grandmother was from.... cant wait till my holidays....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

If that was me i would ask her to join me for a coffee in the local cafe.

You should tell her how you feel.

I don’t think she should tell her how she feels. It will only guilt her into spending time with her and she wont be doing it off her own back. She needs to be allowed get on with her life and come back to her mother when she’s ready.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I don't think you should tell her how you feel but you should just organise something for the two of you to do together, go to the cinema or go out for dinner, not because you miss her so much but just because she is growing up and becoming her own person and finding her own way in the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement