Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bare bones cider question

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I racked my turbo cider last night. Lots and lots of lees at the bottom of this one. Much more than previous. I wonder if that's to do with the raisins.

Anyway, I have a question on secondary v's bottle conditioning. FG was 1.000 when I racked last night. I'll be away from the brew for 3 weeks beginning early June. Would I be better leaving it in secondary for the whole time (nearly 6 weeks), then bottling when I get back or bottling early June and leaving it condition in the bottle for longer?

Total time between now and drinking will be the same, so the question only covers whether bottle conditioning in the attic will help more than secondary or if it will make much (if any) difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

my experiences so far
    using santa rosa apple juice.
    first batch i did looks like the taste will be a bit all over the place
    did not have raisens so used sultanas but they were had to mash
    did a 4 liter batch and used a full cider yeast with sweetener pack this definatly left it on the sweet side so did not need to add addition sweetener to the bottles :D
    also threw in a small cup of strong tea (2 bags) this might have been too much
    when bottling it has a nice sweet inital taste and a sharper then expected aftertaste "unique" but drinkable
    did not add any extra sugar, looks like it came in at 4.5% - 5%

decided to try reusing the yeast so threw on another batch by pouring another 4 liters back on top of it this time i put in half the sultanas and only used 1 tea bag so looking forward to seeing how different the taste will be. was planning to add some extra sugar but forgot :rolleyes:

Advertisement