Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bare bones cider question

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Anyhoo how do people bottle if they brew in a 5L carboy or bottle with no tap at the bottom?

I'm thinking I'll have to get a syphon. I could probably mostly get away with just pouring it out, letting some sediment get into the bottles, then just not drinking the bottom of the glass, but the syphon's probably worth the investment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pouring would mean splashing which means oxidation, which you don't want.

I'll be gentle with it. Like it was its first time and it needed some tenderness.

Probably just tilt whatever I'm pouring it into to reduce splashing.

Ordered some proper kit off home brew west today. Looking forward to that arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Khannie wrote: »

Probably just tilt whatever I'm pouring it into to reduce splashing.

Dont. Just get some clear tubing and suck it till the juice is flowing. Put the carboy/container on a table and the bottles or secondary on the floor and let gravity do the rest. Ever sucked diesel?

I haven't done the gob full of diesel thing but I know the general jist of syphoning. I'm a little wary of wrapping my lips around something that I'm going to be putting into a liquid that I want to keep sterile though. On the kit that I bought yesterday (waiting on delivery) it has a tap at the bottom and I bought a tube for it so that'll be grand for that but I want to do a good bit of experimenting with the 5L containers and the cloudy apple juice that you can get cheaply. I've found that new bulmers spiced cider to be very tasty. Wouldn't mind trying to replicate it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You can use a biro tube or anything similar to hygienically start a siphon. A tap is a possible infection risk. It's best to use a spraygun of Starsan or the like to keep it clean.

Started another brew tonight, just to keep things interesting.

~3.4L of cloudy apple juice
    1L from concentrate apple juice
    2 cinnamon sticks
    80g honey

I boiled the last three up (lovely smell!), let it cool for a bit then added the juice into the cloudy apple juice. Added the rest of the packet of yeast that I had. That's it. Thought I'd cooled the boiled apple juice down enough. Now I'm not sure. Gah. I suppose I'll find out in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Keep us posted.

My cider is still sparkling away and unfortunately it still smells like a room that someone took a dump in the corner of and rubbed into the carpet.

Will do. :)

My 3.5L cloudy apple juice one is going quiet now. I stuck an ear to it last night. The half litre of fresh apple juice is still very fizzy though. I have a hydrometer coming with the starter kit that I ordered so I'll give the bigger one a bit of a test in another week or so if it stays quiet.

Does anyone know what the apple juice from concentrate ends up like fermented compared to the cloudy stuff? I'm guessing not nearly as nice.

I ordered this book on cider brewing from the book depository too. Only a fiver delivered and gets some decent reviews.

Well....a fine scummy head greeted me on last nights efforts when I got home. Delighted. :)

Also discovered that C&T's in Skerries are selling 24 bottles of BPM (bleugh!) for 4 euro. The bottles are half litre bottles and should be good for putting my brew in once empty and washed. They're a decent solid plastic bottle.

It works out at 17c per bottle which is pretty darned good.

• Advertisement

I need bottles. My ace bottle contact let me down. Feckin stout's been in the fermenter since January.

I presume it will still be ok?

He better sort me out this weekend or i'll be a sad sad panda.

Thinkin of making the home brewing company's irish red ale grain kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Well....a fine scummy head greeted me on last nights efforts when I got home. Delighted. :)

Also discovered that C&T's in Skerries are selling 24 bottles of BPM (bleugh!) for 4 euro. The bottles are half litre bottles and should be good for putting my brew in once empty and washed. They're a decent solid plastic bottle.

It works out at 17c per bottle which is pretty darned good.

After washing leave the bottles open for a while, that BPM has a pong off it. You can wash them again before bottling.
    24 for 4 euros hmmm, no Skerries is too far. Pity as I kinda like BPM, wonder if you brewed it up? :D

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Pity as I kinda like BPM, wonder if you brewed it up? :D

I like it. Thinking outside the bottle like that. :D

I might actually give that a whirl. Sure why not like? For the cost of a bit of yeast. Probably turn out filthy though.

Disappointed with home brew west. I placed my order, then realised I'd forgotten to add a syphon. Decided I'd mail them to see if I could add it in and pay for it separately (without paying an extra fiver for delivery). Sure while I'm at it I'll get some more yeast says I.

So I dropped them a mail, asking if I could buy the yeast and syphon. Gave them the amount and said I'd be happy to paypal it to them if they could add it to my order.

Order ships two days later. No reply to my request.
    If you have any questions about your order, send an email to sales@homebrewwest.com or simply reply to this message.

Really? :p

Wasn't impressed with them either at all.

I went in there all beans and full of chat a couple of months ago with a full wallet ready to ask loads of questions and buy loads of stuff to get myself started in homebrewing. I was in Galway for the day anyway and I deliberately postponed buying the equipment so that I could have a good chat with someone in a brewing shop who could answer all my stupid noob questions.

The reception I got there was cool to say the least - I almost felt bad to be disturbing them in the shop.

Me: I would like to buy the coopers starter kit
    Attendant: [grudgingly gets up to retrieve the product]
    Me: Which beer kit would you recommend I get with this?
    Attendant: [Roll Eyes / Shrug]

Fair enough says I - so I took my business to http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/ since and I am very happy with the service. I don't care if that original crowd are cheaper, i am never darkening the door of their place again. If I treated customers like that I would get fired.

Interestingly only yesterday I too messed up an order with them and the guy was very accommodating. I emailed him and he was back to me straight away to get me sorted. Happy to recommend him.

Sky King wrote: »
    so I took my business to http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/ since and I am very happy with the service.

Yeah, I think I'll go with them in future alright. I was close this time, but home brew west just swung it. I emailed the sales@ email address again today to say that I wasn't happy. I'll see if there's a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Sky King wrote: »

Looks like I'll be doing my shopping there in future too due to mybeerandwine closing their store. Can't order hops from there either anymore?

Prices seem reasonable enough too but I envisage a lot of trips to the postal centre to pick up my packages since I'll always be in f*ckin work and unable to accept delivery :mad:

Can you get stuff delivered to work?

I do.. It can raise eyebrows though!

Note though that with the HBC that they have a flat postage rate so you'll get roasted on the p & p if you;re just buying a bung or a packet of yeast - better off calling in, getting several items together or maybe getting the small stuff elsewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

Just ring thehomebrewcompany and they can post out small items like yeast etc for just the an post postage price. You can pay over the phone too which is handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I've been into home brew west a few times & each time I've dealt with someone different.
    First time I called in I dealt with a woman, she was helpful.
    Two young lads in there another day seemed alright.

Well I got a reply from them after I'd written saying I wasn't happy:
    Sorry about that. Unfortunately we are currently shipping 40 orders a day and running a shop too, so sometimes we ship before we spot order changes.

Sorry, we're too busy.

Firing up the brew tonight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Well I got a reply from them after I'd written saying I wasn't happy:
    Sorry about that. Unfortunately we are currently shipping 40 orders a day and running a shop too, so sometimes we ship before we spot order changes.

Sorry, we're too busy.

Firing up the brew tonight anyway.

The place is like a bomb site, looks like they're under staffed.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    looks like they're under staffed.

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought (well, maybe the second ;)) after I read the mail. If they're not seeing mails because they're too busy then they should probably employ more people or expect to lose custom over it. Ack, not the end of the world anyway. I'm glad they got back to me and glad their business is doing well.

Can you get stuff delivered to work?

Not really, there's a specific department for receiving mail which I have no access to so would probably raise a few eyebrows trying to get it!

Ah once I could go up to the post office and get it on a saturday it would be fine since I only start brews on weekends anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Blackjack

leggit wrote: »
    Not really, there's a specific department for receiving mail which I have no access to so would probably raise a few eyebrows trying to get it!

Ah once I could go up to the post office and get it on a saturday it would be fine since I only start brews on weekends anyway.

Beware - they use DPD couriers, so you can ask for it to be redelivered or collect from their Depot during ofice hours..
    Their Depots arent' exactly in convenient locations either....

Blackjack wrote: »
    Beware - they use DPD couriers, so you can ask for it to be redelivered or collect from their Depot during ofice hours..
    Their Depots arent' exactly in convenient locations either....

Just checked there and they have a depot in sandyford industrial estate which would be very handy indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Blackjack

leggit wrote: »
    Just checked there and they have a depot in sandyford industrial estate which would be very handy indeed!

Sorry - indeed, convenient for some, not for others.

that said - thehomebrewcompany are very responsive and i'd strongly recommend them to purchase from, just better if you're at home the day of delivery if you have issues re collection from depots etc.

Well, I just tested the gravity of the first brew that I kicked off about two weeks ago from the cloudy apple juice and it's at 1.00. Took about 80ml out with a syphon and into a trial jar. I tasted it. Very dry and not the best at all. Added a crushed splenda to it and it was better, but still very alcohol-y.

I happened to have some of the cloudy apple juice left over from the second batch and tested the gravity of that and it's around the 1.042 mark, which would give an abv of over 6% for the final brew so I suppose that explains that to a greater or lesser extent.

Anyway, I'll bottle it tonight and leave it for a few weeks and see where it's at then. Going to leave the half litre "from apples" one another week because I can't really afford the 70ml of it for the trial jar. :)

I still haven't gotten around to the Finlandia brew yet. Hopefully tonight.

• Advertisement

I bottled mine today. 7 Litres I got in the end.

I got 990 on the hydro so full fermentation, giving me an abv of about 10%. It actually tastes very nice! I am kinda surprised.

Hopefully a bit of carbonation and three months in the bottle will mature it to perfection.

Advertisement